Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

You checking out Oktoberfest in town this weekend?

Possibly, not decided as yet. Heading to The Squirrel on Sunday evening though, friend of mine is DJing so I'm hitting the place up with some friends if that's your thing. Aim of the game is to make him work hard mixing poo poo that really shouldn't mix, he's annoyingly good at it too.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You know what's fun? Holding the shift rod to the lever for 15 miles in rush hour traffic because the bushing disintegrated.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I know no-one gives a poo poo but me but:
It's all now in the hands of the gods. Or rather, in the hands of the building warranty people to issue the one certificate that's holding up me getting into my new home before I get evicted, the same people who assured everyone their poo poo would be done weeks ago. Apparently it takes 48 hours to populate an electronic form and email it out, not the 2 minutes you'd think. We're signing paperwork in readiness tomorrow, looks like I'll need to hire a van big enough for all our poo poo in one go, because it looks like I'll be filling it then parking it outside the new house and sleeping in the loving cab to make sure it doesn't get robbed if that form doesn't get in in time.
Solicitors don't work weekends, Monday's a bank holiday, I'm working Monday to Friday anyway so I'm hosed no matter what unless that one single piece of magical paperwork loving turns up.
No loving idea where the wife and kids will be sleeping come the weekend either.

There isn't a :smithicide: big enough.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cakefool posted:

It's all now in the hands of the gods. Or rather, in the hands of the building warranty people to issue the one certificate that's holding up me getting into my new home before I get evicted, the same people who assured everyone their poo poo would be done weeks ago. Apparently it takes 48 hours to populate an electronic form and email it out, not the 2 minutes you'd think. We're signing paperwork in readiness tomorrow, looks like I'll need to hire a van big enough for all our poo poo in one go, because it looks like I'll be filling it then parking it outside the new house and sleeping in the loving cab to make sure it doesn't get robbed if that form doesn't get in in time.
Solicitors don't work weekends, Monday's a bank holiday, I'm working Monday to Friday anyway so I'm hosed no matter what unless that one single piece of magical paperwork loving turns up.
No loving idea where the wife and kids will be sleeping come the weekend either.

Fffffffff. I remember when I was buying my house, I had to basically end-run around my buyer's agent because it'd take him two loving days to forward and email or document to the seller's agent. I just started dealing with the seller's agent directly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What I've learned over the years is that anything related to houses that involves other people doing things is;

A) far too loving expensive considering that;
B) people take far too loving long to do simple poo poo.

The housing industry from top to bottom is awful and if everyone from contractors to solicitors to estate agents even put in something approaching 30% effort, things would be far less stressful to everyone involved. It seems however, that loving people over for as long as possible is the best way to go about things.

I do hope things get sorted though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cakefool posted:

Do you have anything in any of the contracts you've signed regarding expected delivery dates? It won't help with the "homeless for a day" situation, but if you do, you can at least get after them for breach of contract.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BloodBag posted:

Fffffffff. I remember when I was buying my house, I had to basically end-run around my buyer's agent because it'd take him two loving days to forward and email or document to the seller's agent. I just started dealing with the seller's agent directly.

This is precisely the reason it takes 1 month to close on a house; not because there is a months worth of research and paperwork involved but because of the lag time created by people not forwarding the necessary information in a timely fashion. I get it that they are busy, but the inefficiency of the operation is astounding. I do IT support and one of our clients is a title company, half of their day is spent waiting for IT to fix their broken Outlook because they never empty the trash or archive. The other half is spent gossiping.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The housing market makes no legitimate sense to me. Basically you need to pay the realtor fees to be part of the in-club to get the buyers pool you want.

That said I noticed that Furious 7 was available for purchase on iTunes for $14.99 but the blu-ray isn't going to be released until the 15th of September. I have it pre-order with Amazon w/ digital copy (redeemable through iTunes) for $22. 99.9% of the time I watch stuff is through my AppleTV, but in the media room/basement theater we had wired up with 7.2 which has me thinking I should just hold out for my Blu-Ray release so I can have the real digital audio and better image quality with the actual disc. I would watch it before the 15th for sure because it is an awesome movie (I rarely buy any movies).

I look forward to the day we can just have streaming UHD/DTS-HD audio all through our cloud based accounts and we can get rid of the physical objects making GBS threads up our living spaces.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have an aquantaince that does mortgage underwriting. He said that if you actually could condense the process and not outsource every item, it takes about 2 days of work.

Its the title company, providing documentation, and other bullshit that causes the hold ups. I just went in with all my documents, scanned them and uploaded them to the bank. it was pretty easy, they only asked for a couple of updated work paystubs and that was it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Geirskogul posted:

Well, I bought one of these, so I also decided to make a mount for it. I mean, why not?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:984779

I saw a Jay leno's garage once where he bought some hyper expensive 3d scanner and printer with the purpose of using the scanner to make a 3d model of some broken, very rare, NLA, part for a bunch of his steam cars. Use the 3d printer to print off a plastic positive, which he then used to make a sand negative, to then re-cast the original part.

Stuff like that would be out of reach for say a makerbot, but even just being able to make brackets or adapters would be so handy.

In other news, I found a super high res version of the Japanese box art of Ico. I'm going to get it professionally printed and mouted and hang it on my wall because I'm a huge aspie nerd. Now I need to find the Japanese box art to Jet Set Radio and I'll be all set.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 26, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

MustardFacial posted:

I saw a Jay leno's garage once where he bought some hyper expensive 3d scanner and printer with the purpose of using the scanner to make a 3d model of some broken, very rare, NLA, part for a bunch of his steam cars. Use the 3d printer to print off a plastic positive, which he then used to make a sand negative, to then re-cast the original part.

Stuff like that would be out of reach for say a makerbot, but even just being able to make brackets or adapters would be so handy.

In other news, I found a super high res version of the Japanese box art of Ico. I'm going to get it professionally printed and mouted and hang it on my wall because I'm a huge aspie nerd. Now I need to find the Japanese box art to Jet Set Radio and I'll be all set.
I've got a friend who has done that.
For an intake manifold.
And I think some heads. Just designed and cast them himself.
Impressive poo poo.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

All this housing talk makes me happy we decided to buy my mom and step dads house. Move in process has started with the big move happening on the 31st, but we still won't close on the mortgage and everything till mid-late september due to our mortgage broker loving up. Granted the house needs a ton of work, but is livable for the time being. I already spent time pulling up the old carpet and getting ready to refinish the wood flooring that is hiding under many layers of other flooring, but I am excited to have my own house to work on. I forgot how nice it is to actually do some manual labour after spending so many years behind a desk.

Now I just have to get the soon to be wife to start picking colors so I can start repainting.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

Do you have anything in any of the contracts you've signed regarding expected delivery dates? It won't help with the "homeless for a day" situation, but if you do, you can at least get after them for breach of contract.

I'm in the UK, he's a small independent builder. There isn't really a formal contract until the one about handing money over. As I'm buying a house he chose to build rather than commissioned him to build a house I don't have anything. We were verbally promised end of June which slipped and slipped. The house is now ready apart from paperwork. We can't pull out because a: we've money in it for fees etc, a couple of grand all in. Not the end of the world but painful to let go of and b: we have to move this week for the reasons above. If we pulled out, found a house we liked and put an offer in today it would be a miracle if it was ours in 8 weeks.

My wife temped for a solicitors once, for about £6~ an hour she performed the searches and filled in paperwork. It took an average of 2 hours to do one house of paperwork. It was then placed in a dated pile. When that date rolled round it was pulled out of the pile and issued. I get angry thinking about it. If they charged the exact same exorbitant bullshit fees and it was all over in a day I'd be happy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

New business idea: start a conveyancing solicitors. Offer a one week turnaround if both sides employ you as the buying and selling solicitors. Undercut the competition by 10%, get firebombed by rival firms in a week.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just dropped my walkie talkie down a 300' 4" pipe. gently caress my life.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sorry for this:
LOL.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ilkhan posted:

Sorry for this:
LOL.

+1

Sorrynotsorry.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Fart Pipe posted:

I keep getting a whiff of coolant when the 30k 97 Ram is running. If its blowing a head gasket then its going to stop being funny how much it breaks.

Na, its the water pump or the bypass hose behind it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did it fall in slow motion?

I love that poo poo

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

ilkhan posted:

I've got a friend who has done that.
For an intake manifold.
And I think some heads. Just designed and cast them himself.
Impressive poo poo.

Did he have a company do the casting?

I'm sure there are many, but racehead in Australia models all their stuff, 3D prints it, fit checks it, then has it cast. Their stuff is really reasonable too.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I hope someone on the other end of the walkie talkie gave a good ol' Wilhelm Scream as it fell.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You know that level of hysteria has been hit when the 10 seconds the dvd player won't respond when it powers up are enough to cause your wife to break down in tears.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

You know that level of hysteria has been hit when the 10 seconds the dvd player won't respond when it powers up are enough to cause your wife to break down in tears.

Well that's not good.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I'm faced with a dilemma, maybe even a crisis.

I don't know what to have for dinner. Pizza? Burgers? Kitchen/fridge scraps?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had fruit crumble and custard for tea, the highlight of my entire day is that for the first time in years the custard worked, you could stand the spoon up in it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo. I got it out. gently caress yes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Mighty Horse posted:

Na, its the water pump or the bypass hose behind it.

Oh it already had the smell from the front from the thermostat housing I keep meaning to fix. This is from the back when its running and hooking up the trailer.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

On the plus side of housing I just remortgaged and it was shockingly easy.
Two companies phoned up to find me quotes and advise on packages to take before I phoned the bank directly and they gave me an even better deal.

Lower interest and lower monthly repayments without any fees tacked on?
Uh yes please

e:

88h88 posted:

Possibly, not decided as yet. Heading to The Squirrel on Sunday evening though, friend of mine is DJing so I'm hitting the place up with some friends if that's your thing. Aim of the game is to make him work hard mixing poo poo that really shouldn't mix, he's annoyingly good at it too.

May do that if I'm still out and about, depends on how the day goes until then.

freelop fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 26, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

I had fruit crumble and custard for tea, the highlight of my entire day is that for the first time in years the custard worked, you could stand the spoon up in it.

I wonder why we don't have tea in the south? All i've eaten today is a pack of chocolate raisins. But now i've ordered pizza, so i can stuff my face then have an early night.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Good choice. I baked a rhubarb and ginger crumble pie which I assume I invented. It was insanely good but I slightly burnt the very periphery. Darn it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bape Culture posted:

Good choice. I baked a rhubarb and ginger crumble pie which I assume I invented. It was insanely good but I slightly burnt the very periphery. Darn it.

I need to bake an apple pie. Then drown it in custard and eat the entire thing. Life goals.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

freelop posted:

On the plus side of housing I just remortgaged and it was shockingly easy.
Two companies phoned up to find me quotes and advise on packages to take before I phoned the bank directly and they gave me an even better deal.

Lower interest and lower monthly repayments without any fees tacked on?
Uh yes please

I did that a couple of years ago. 2.75% fixed with no fees. Hell yes I'll sign that.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
My new avatar rules, thanks NEAI contributors.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holdbrooks posted:

My new avatar rules, thanks NEAI contributors.

Omg hahaha, that rules.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What the hell happened up there :stare:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy poo poo. I got it out. gently caress yes.

All you had to do was turn it upside down and shake it

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

IOwnCalculus posted:

What the hell happened up there :stare:

It's the rust. Once it enters your system, the symptoms will only continue to get worse. Never better. Combine with alcohol, and welp...

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So the vcenter has been down since last tuesday at work. I'm so tired from having to rebuild it over and over again because the distributed switches aren't working, or it can't connect to the SAN. I've only been on this job since the 10th. Trial by fire is was an understatement. Plus side is I'm learning the network fast. But I'm dead tired. Tonight is a drinking and sit in the hot tub night.

I've been looking online for lifts for the garage. It'll help when I decide to start work on the All Tracs. Any goons have any recommendations for lifts for an older garage? I kinda really don't want to drill into the concrete floor (I'm not sure it's thick enough to be able to have anchors in it). Is it doable?

First I need a shed to get all the lawn equipment (snowblower, chipper, lawn tractor, ect) out of the garage though....

Also that avatar is great!

I'm really tired and kinda rambling...

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I had a great time and honestly did more redneck poo poo than when I lived in Alabama. I'm waiting on a care package that I sent to myself and will have to start a new thread for the truck's AZ rebirth. That is if the piece of rust from Kastein's forester didn't consume the contents.

Verdict: NEAI are a bunch of IRL cool rear end dudes that love foresters and mopeds.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

alternate.eago posted:

So the vcenter has been down since last tuesday at work. I'm so tired from having to rebuild it over and over again because the distributed switches aren't working, or it can't connect to the SAN. I've only been on this job since the 10th. Trial by fire is was an understatement. Plus side is I'm learning the network fast. But I'm dead tired. Tonight is a drinking and sit in the hot tub night.

I've been looking online for lifts for the garage. It'll help when I decide to start work on the All Tracs. Any goons have any recommendations for lifts for an older garage? I kinda really don't want to drill into the concrete floor (I'm not sure it's thick enough to be able to have anchors in it). Is it doable?

First I need a shed to get all the lawn equipment (snowblower, chipper, lawn tractor, ect) out of the garage though....

Also that avatar is great!

I'm really tired and kinda rambling...

How big of a vmware env do you have that you keep crashing vcenter? I have been doing too much work with vmware recently and have run ~20 node systems in the past and never crashed vcenter. Well except when I discovered that the previous guy who ran one used the default sql express(?) database and we filled it up and had to migrate. At least the vcenter appliance is linux and uses a postgres DB. way nicer than dealing with the old windows based way of doing it.

As for a lift, my future father-in-law picked up a EZ Car Lift that is pretty nice for what it is. Got his m3 high enough to easily get under it(don't think it was even at max height) and its stable. I am looking forward to borrowing it from him when the time comes to start tearing my alltrac apart. Hopefully the new houses garage will let me get the car high enough in the air to work on it easily. Stupid below grade basement garage.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

alternate.eago posted:

So the vcenter has been down since last tuesday at work. I'm so tired from having to rebuild it over and over again because the distributed switches aren't working, or it can't connect to the SAN. I've only been on this job since the 10th...

TBH you should re-examine what's going on behind the scenes because vCenter doesn't crash.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're running ESXi5.0 or 5.5 with appropriate versions of vCenter Server and apps.

• Locked thread