Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

mafoose posted:

Did he have a company do the casting?

I'm sure there are many, but racehead in Australia models all their stuff, 3D prints it, fit checks it, then has it cast. Their stuff is really reasonable too.
Nope. Did the casting himself.
He's...kind of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's actually not that hard to do your own investment casting for a very small number of simple parts with a hobbyist-grade 3D printer. You have to match the filament to what you're casting it in, so you can remove the filament from the poured metal and don't instantly melt the plastic.

Slung Blade or iForge would probably be able to comment on it much more intelligently than I could.

Of course, you probably have a poo poo ton of concerns about metallurgy. You're definitely not cranking out like forged items or anything I would put suspension loads on. But poo poo like radio trims or headlight bezels? Fill your boots.

I know there are a bunch of guys on GRM who make their own suspension bushings that way with liquid high-durometer urethane.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 26, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holdbrooks posted:

My new avatar rules, thanks NEAI contributors.

Hahaha yes.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

alternate.eago posted:

I kinda really don't want to drill into the concrete floor (I'm not sure it's thick enough to be able to have anchors in it). Is it doable?

Cut out a section of concrete, dig deeper, set rebar, dump some strong concrete and then install lift.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
NEAI = ?

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Sigma X posted:

TBH you should re-examine what's going on behind the scenes because vCenter doesn't crash.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're running ESXi5.0 or 5.5 with appropriate versions of vCenter Server and apps.
Blade hardware failed during firmware updates, and the center was in the process of failing over and got corrupted. I'm not too sure on the specifics, I'm still learning. And yeah ESXi 5.5,

Negromancer posted:

How big of a vmware env do you have that you keep crashing vcenter? I have been doing too much work with vmware recently and have run ~20 node systems in the past and never crashed vcenter. Well except when I discovered that the previous guy who ran one used the default sql express(?) database and we filled it up and had to migrate. At least the vcenter appliance is linux and uses a postgres DB. way nicer than dealing with the old windows based way of doing it.

As for a lift, my future father-in-law picked up a EZ Car Lift that is pretty nice for what it is. Got his m3 high enough to easily get under it(don't think it was even at max height) and its stable. I am looking forward to borrowing it from him when the time comes to start tearing my alltrac apart. Hopefully the new houses garage will let me get the car high enough in the air to work on it easily. Stupid below grade basement garage.....

I don't know how big it is exactly, its virtual lab environments, so up to several hundred VM machines. I really don't know I've never touched vCenter before.

Hmm, that lift looks interesting, I'll have to look into it further.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

ilkhan posted:

NEAI = ?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471279

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Can we take CAAI for cali or does our hat already own that acronym?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

OH MAN YOU GUYS.

Jalopnik link, etc etc etc but still.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I love trolling super ghetto bitches with an IQ of 10 on FB.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

alternate.eago posted:

I've been looking online for lifts for the garage. It'll help when I decide to start work on the All Tracs. Any goons have any recommendations for lifts for an older garage? I kinda really don't want to drill into the concrete floor (I'm not sure it's thick enough to be able to have anchors in it). Is it doable?
If you're unsure about floor depth and don't want to drill into it you're going to be looking for a 4-post lift. They're handy as hell and it's easy enough to use a jack on one or get one of the center lift additions. If you have the clearance go for it and you'll be happy. Atlas is the main brand I'm looking at for my garage.

Next NEAI meet I think I'm going to make the trip because that looked like a stupid amount of fun.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well I don't know what the gently caress anymore.

Eviction is off, we have another weeks grace. Situation as I now understand it is:

1:poo poo goes right, move this weekend, no biggie.
2: poo poo goes wrong but gets sorted next week. Move is nearly impossible due to work etc but no biggie.
3: poo poo goes wrong, doesn't get sorted until builder is back in the country in a couple of weeks. Disaster.

I know moving house is supposed to be stressful but gently caress this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Chrysler's new Charger uses the front end from a 3rd gen Camaro...

http://jalopnik.com/the-next-dodge-charger-uses-an-alfa-romeo-platform-and-1726749114

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

alternate.eago posted:

Hmm, that lift looks interesting, I'll have to look into it further.

I'd also take a look at the Ranger Quick Jack - seems like it'd be easier to work around, and it's a fair bit cheaper too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

meatpimp posted:

http://jalopnik.com/the-next-dodge-charger-uses-an-alfa-romeo-platform-and-1726749114

That is loving hideous.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

T1g4h posted:

OH MAN YOU GUYS.

Jalopnik link, etc etc etc but still.

:v:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That is loving hideous.

They've got pedestrian impact safety standards to worry about. After all, why NOT require the front-end design of a vehicle to be compliant with efforts to reduce pedestrian injuries from impacts? Even if it fucks up styling and aerodynamics and only accounts for 14% of all vehicle-related fatalities.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Can we take CAAI for cali or does our hat already own that acronym?

SWAI: South West AI.

Held in Arizona, maybe? Seems to be a lot of us down there, dunno if anyone else is here in Albuquerque with me.

This is also a swai:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

That picture is of the Charger concept from loving 1999 :rolleyes:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

That picture is of the Charger concept from loving 1999 :rolleyes:

"The next Dodge Charger will ride on the same platform as the upcoming Alfa Romeo Giulia and has looks that resemble this 1999 concept car, according to Fiat Chrysler dealers in Las Vegas invited to see the car at a closed event on Monday."

At least the picture's relevant?

Also, I can't be the only one who actually kinda likes how that concept looked. I thought it was decent.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 26, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Well I wouldn't have duped you if you had put some effort in to it. :colbert:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Pham Nuwen posted:

Held in Arizona, maybe? Seems to be a lot of us down there, dunno if anyone else is here in Albuquerque with me.
But I'm in NorCal.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Well I wouldn't have duped you if you had put some effort in to it. :colbert:

Listen man, I can't be bothered to put forth effort, I have a very busy life okay :colbert:

(I just thought it was funny. First time that's ever happened to me :v: )

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd also take a look at the Ranger Quick Jack - seems like it'd be easier to work around, and it's a fair bit cheaper too.

It doesn't look quite as stable, or like it goes as high as the EZLift. But I like that it's self powered.

I'm not worried about running out of storage space. If I need to I build additional storage sheds.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

T1g4h posted:

Listen man, I can't be bothered to put forth effort, I have a very busy life okay :colbert:

(I just thought it was funny. First time that's ever happened to me :v: )

No worries, just busting your nuts.

In other news: arnazon.com redirects to amazon.com.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So just had this conversation with the girlfriend.

quote:

Her: do you know what today is?

Me: Uh, Wednesday?

Her: No seriously.

Me: Comcast bill is due? Seriously I have no loving idea just tell me.

Her: It's two years since my mother died.

Me: Uh, I'll see you when you get home.

Tonight is going to be fun I bet.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Send her some flowers and sleep at the office.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Back in DFW from SoCal.
It's good to be home, but I wish the 75-80-dgree weather had followed me.
I missed my wife, and my bed, and my Xbox.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Darchangel posted:

Back in DFW from SoCal.
It's good to be home, but I wish the 75-80-dgree weather had followed me.
I missed my wife, and my bed, and my Xbox.

Where in socal? Cause I wish I had 75-80 and I'm in socal. 98 right now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

The one thing that I hate is that guess what day it is crap. I know, I'm a rotten awful human, but its not very helpful when you just say guess what today is? Give me a hint here.

I know, I'm rotten and I should never procreate or really be married, but that poo poo has to stop.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor on the pickup. Maybe it wouldn't have had those occasional misfires if the PO had bothered to set the plug gap.

Now I have to figure out why it sometimes billows white smoke when I start it. Sometimes, not always, and only when I first start it. :smith:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

iwentdoodie posted:

Where in socal? Cause I wish I had 75-80 and I'm in socal. 98 right now.

El Segundo, mostly. I think it nudged the 90s while I was there, but it never felt that hot to me. It was a wonder to be able to walk outside for more then 10 minutes without being dripping wet from sweat. I used the AC on the rental like 3 times, and two of those times were to just cool off the car from sitting in the sun with the windows up. I drove with the windows down 99% of the 2 weeks I was there.
I can see why people want to live there, particularly near the beach, but it would be seriously impractical for me, since I want a garage, a driveway, a yard, and I would have to somehow get my old RX-7 and my old Olds to meet emissions ('79 and '70, respectively. Old enough to be problematic, but not old enough to be exempt, since they use a fixed cut-off instead of Texas' 25-year rolling exemption.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

El Segundo, mostly. I think it nudged the 90s while I was there, but it never felt that hot to me. It was a wonder to be able to walk outside for more then 10 minutes without being dripping wet from sweat. I used the AC on the rental like 3 times, and two of those times were to just cool off the car from sitting in the sun with the windows up. I drove with the windows down 99% of the 2 weeks I was there.
I can see why people want to live there, particularly near the beach, but it would be seriously impractical for me, since I want a garage, a driveway, a yard, and I would have to somehow get my old RX-7 and my old Olds to meet emissions ('79 and '70, respectively. Old enough to be problematic, but not old enough to be exempt, since they use a fixed cut-off instead of Texas' 25-year rolling exemption.)

The '70 will be fine in CA, cutoff is 75.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The one thing that I hate is that guess what day it is crap. I know, I'm a rotten awful human, but its not very helpful when you just say guess what today is? Give me a hint here.

I know, I'm rotten and I should never procreate or really be married, but that poo poo has to stop.

SALVATION.

Her best friend's grandmother had a massive stroke and isn't expected to live through the night so I'm off the hook.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

ilkhan posted:

Nope. Did the casting himself.
He's...kind of crazy.

That is loving awesome! Get him in here!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Jargon jargon jargon

Nice. I'm no expert but I have taken a few metallurgy classes and visited a few casting houses.

As far as I know, you would use the 3D print to make the latex mold negative, which you then make a positive out of wax, which you then add your chambers and runners, coat in the sand, bake the sand and melt the wax out, and then finally pour the metal into it.

I don't think there exists a 3D printable plastic that can serve as a mold unless you're casting something in insanely low temps (gallium perhaps?). The temps aluminum needs to flow would ignite the plastic. It also doesn't help the aluminum shrinks a lot so mold design is very important.

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is also a swai:

This needs to happen. There's quite a few in Phoenix and Holdbrooks and I in Tucson.

Rhyno posted:

Between your "friends", home life, and job in retail, how have you not made the 10 o'clock news yet?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

What the hell happened up there :stare:

What happens at NEAI events may very well break the mind of a mere mortal.

If you see people limping at an NEAI event, CSB made an appearance and broke... other things.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

What happens at NEAI events may very well break the mind of a mere mortal.

If you see people limping at an NEAI event, CSB made an appearance and broke... other things.

and/or they just got into a tankslapper on a moped or lost a fight with the deathcart :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a distinctly different kind of limp. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I just spilled Guiness all over my bed but its cool cuz I am in a two bed hotel room by myself so I can just hop beds.

Also this cracks me up every time.
https://youtu.be/8UVykJ79vqo

• Locked thread