Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She really likes trains though! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Free the noted rapist, Azure Horizon, so we can hear his edict on 8.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

what

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

8 is probably my favorite game in the series even though it's bad~

I will fight over Selphie though, she's actually good. I wish they did more with her and less with Squall and Rinoa.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nihilarian posted:

I will fight over Selphie though, she's actually good.

How so? She gets like twenty boxes of text in the entire game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boots and a short skirt goes a long way for some people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

If you only count the boxes where he says anything, that's more than Squall.

FF8 is awesome when you look at it in the context of an 80s/90s highschool romcom set in a mercenary organization. Everybody else is a bit player because they only exist to get the lead characters together in love, and then zany time travel shenanigans.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Let's see, Zell likes hotdogs, Seifer is an rear end in a top hat who gets the chicks, Squall is autistic, Quistis is confused about her sexuality, Selphie wants to PARTTAYY, Rinoa in our age would just get a tumblr and forget about her daddy issues, and Irvine.. I guess he was there and he dressed like a cowboy 'cause he thought it was cool? Oh, and Laguna should really stop running from his problems.

I still prefer this cast to the entirety of XIII. Even Sazh can't save that game. I will take a cast of twenty Seifers over Snow and Hope any day.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The fact that Final Fantasy VIII is a real thing that exists is still such a surreal thought to me. Like... look at these completely accurate descriptions of plot and characters. How is this a real game?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

zedprime posted:

If you only count the boxes where he says anything, that's more than Squall.

FF8 is awesome when you look at it in the context of an 80s/90s highschool romcom set in a mercenary organization. Everybody else is a bit player because they only exist to get the lead characters together in love, and then zany time travel shenanigans.

The problem with that, is that the romance plot isn't strong enough to carry the game. It feels like a wasted effort specifically because Squall is a plank of wood and Rinoa is barely a person. Final Fantasy has been about character plot more than overarching plot since at least IV, but to do that you have to focus on more than just the main character and his love interest.

They did a much better job with X, a game that managed a romance plot without sacrificing the rest of the cast.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saoshyant posted:

I still prefer this cast to the entirety of XIII. Even Sazh can't save that game. I will take a cast of twenty Seifers over Snow and Hope any day.

Yeah, but Seifer was actually interesting. What about a cast of twenty Squalls? :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The funny thing about Squall is that Dissidia wrote him far better than his original game and he gets about 1/4th the development and screen time in that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saoshyant posted:

Quistis is confused about her sexuality

When did this happen, all I can remember her doing is quitting her teaching job because she wanted to bone Squall.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CeallaSo posted:

The problem with that, is that the romance plot isn't strong enough to carry the game. It feels like a wasted effort specifically because Squall is a plank of wood and Rinoa is barely a person. Final Fantasy has been about character plot more than overarching plot since at least IV, but to do that you have to focus on more than just the main character and his love interest.

They did a much better job with X, a game that managed a romance plot without sacrificing the rest of the cast.

On the other hand, 2/3rds of the VIII cast got like a disc and a half of development yet have just as much personality if not more than some of FFX's cast. I mean Lulu barely did anything after what, Guadosalam? Apart from that almost non-plot point in the Calm Lands.

Every game has this problem but at least VIII's cast made it front and center they barely mattered outside of The Main Character, FFX kept trying and failing to make characters like Kimahri relevant.

I like FFX but I think they dropped the ball with juggling its cast of characters.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

she's a fun mix of cheerful and practical, has a dark sense of humor, and likes explosions, trains, cowboys and hotrod red dragon spaceships.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
FFXIII is a bad game because Squall keeps using using Blasting Zone instead of Lionheart. Quit wasting my time, Squall.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

i want to gently caress her

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Hope Estheim

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Nihilarian posted:

8 is probably my favorite game in the series even though it's bad~

I will fight over Selphie though, she's actually good. I wish they did more with her and less with Squall and Rinoa.

Selphie is good if you dont take her seriously, which Im convinced youre not supposed to.

If you take her seriously, she's awful.
But If you taker her not seriously, you can see she's some crazy bitch that wants to party and destroy anything that moves just because burn it to the loving ground. Thats awesome.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

she's a fun mix of cheerful and practical, has a dark sense of humor, and likes explosions, trains, cowboys and hotrod red dragon spaceships.

She likes everything, she's just spunky x1000. Annoying at best.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
She's the spunky "peace and love!" girl, except that her suggested solution to most problems is "shoot it with a rocket launcher." She's kinda a lunatic, which at least makes her more interesting than everyone on the cast except maybe Seifer.

Now Yuffie is awesome, though. Don't go talking poo poo about Yuffie.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
one thing that VII did very well with each and every character was incorporate a scenario for each of them within the context of the story. No FF has done that since which is too bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TommyGun85 posted:

one thing that VII did very well with each and every character was incorporate a scenario for each of them within the context of the story. No FF has done that since which is too bad.

I'm not sure what you mean, because FFX did pretty much this, and FF12 as well as far as giving each characters a moment to shine or resolve their plot in-story.

Also strange to say that when Yuffie and Vincent are optional.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The funny thing about Squall is that Dissidia wrote him far better than his original game and he gets about 1/4th the development and screen time in that game.

This is true nearly everyone else in that game too.

E:

Tae posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, because FFX did pretty much this, and FF12 as well as far as giving each characters a moment to shine or resolve their plot in-story.

I agree. Even Vaan and Penelo have their time in the limelight, even that is over by the time the plot really gets rolling.

And now I'm going to go play FF12 again because I love that game too much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Even Yuffie and Vincent have scenarios, though. heck, Vincent is more relevant to the central plot than everyone except Cloud and maybe Aerith.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Level Slide posted:

Free the noted rapist, Azure Horizon, so we can hear his edict on 8.

Hahahha, I was seriously just about to make a post along the lines of "I'm sure Azure Horizon liked 8, which is enough for me to hate it"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I agree. Even Vaan and Penelo have their time in the limelight, even that is over by the time the plot really gets rolling.

Nah, Vaan continues to be somewhat plot important as he's the person who helps Ashe question her path and make up her mind to betray the Occuria instead of getting her revenge.

Penelo though? Once Larsa shows up I'm not sure if she has another line.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gologle posted:

Hahahha, I was seriously just about to make a post along the lines of "I'm sure Azure Horizon liked 8, which is enough for me to hate it"

What if he hated 8? What then.

(Seriously, I half-remember both of the FF8 LPs being insulting to it.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Once Larrsa shows up, he steals Penelo and she somehow becomes the key to uniting the two nations...I think?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like FFX works because it has one plot: Yuna is supposed to do her summoner thing and die to save Spira, and Tidus, being kind of young and selfish and from a culture that, for all its faults, isn't inured to death, tries to stop her. Eventually they fall in love and find a better way by destroying Yuna's religion.

The other characters are mildly tangential to the plot and any one of them could be removed, but each of them is heavily involved in one of the issues that drive the plot: Wakka's very serious about his spirituality, Lulu is concerned with making sure Yuna makes good life choices, Rikku is thinking about the Al Bhed, Auron is thinking about the greater good, and Kimahri is a blue mage.

This makes them feel like they have a reason to be involved with what's going on other than "well, I joined the party and the plot hasn't ended yet, so here I am."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8 is really rad if you just accept that its nothing but "this would be cool" plot beats shoved into a blender and set to soup until its lukewarm from sloshing. I mean, having played it I would never in a million years let its director direct anything else but I'm not former SE management.

Squall's completely random and never really touched on again meltdown featuring "DON'T TALK ABOUT ME LIKE THAT WHEN I DIE! I'M ALIVE" is solid gold and I don't care if you think otherwise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The entirety of FF8's history might've been changed if the localizers just stuck with "sorry" instead of "whatever"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

mycot posted:

What if he hated 8? What then.

(Seriously, I half-remember both of the FF8 LPs being insulting to it.)

He would still be a bad poster and person, and FF8 would continue to be unremarkable in a series that features time loops, lesbians crystal women, and JPop boy bands literally named Latin terms for royalty and times of day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Kimahri is a blue mage.

Kimahri stabs a zombie wizard in the chest to help protect his friends so he has that going for him.

Tae posted:

The entirety of FF8's history might've been changed if the localizers just stuck with "sorry" instead of "whatever"

This would fix absolutely nothing like Buff-Mute-Space-Witch who lives inside a box from 80 years in the past that nobody has any goddamn knowledge of that summons monsters from the moon.

Or a plot whose entire cosmology is buried in two, semi-conflicting optional text dumps one of which is one time only in an area that is not remotely obviously one-time only and also disappears from the game and is never mentioned again because I think the writers flat out forgot it existed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Barudak posted:

This would fix absolutely nothing like Buff-Mute-Space-Witch who lives inside a box from 80 years in the past that nobody has any goddamn knowledge of that summons monsters from the moon.

Or a plot whose entire cosmology is buried in two, semi-conflicting optional text dumps one of which is one time only in an area that is not remotely obviously one-time only and also disappears from the game and is never mentioned again because I think the writers flat out forgot it existed.

The majority of people that don't like FF8 don't remember beyond the first half of disk 2, like the majority of FF7 players barely remember the story after Aerith's death and around the Weapons' appearance.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

Once Larrsa shows up, he steals Penelo and she somehow becomes the key to uniting the two nations...I think?
Larsa's crush on Penelo makes him think that not everyone outside the empire is literally mentally challenged, but its really only in comparison to the rest of the party.

Barudak posted:

You forgot "literally Hitler that thinks in radio waves"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

The majority of people that don't like FF8 don't remember beyond the first half of disk 2, like the majority of FF7 players barely remember the story after Aerith's death and around the Weapons' appearance.

To be honest I feel like a lot of people only remember the first 1/4th to 1/2 of any given FF game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I feel like a lot of people only remember the first 1/4th to 1/2 of any given FF game.

That's most games in general that's over 10 hours long. Generally, people can't remember the majority of a story of something that long like 5+ years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't care what the hosed up rapist would have thought about FF games