Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

It's just too depressing for something to watch while I'm openning myself up a bit with chemical assistance. Great show, but I don't ever want to relate, or feel feelings while watching a show about animals and people going through depression. I'd rather relegate that for sober time, when I can properly process the info.

s2e11 - Is anyone gonna talk about how loving weird it is that he's taking a teenage girl to prom, and has flaked on all commitments for 2 months

e: Don't you dare gently caress that teenager bojack.

e2: Stupid Bojack

I think that the entirety of episode 11 was cringe-worthy and if you read the reactions from goons for that episode, we were all pretty solidly horrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Episode 11 is brilliant, Penny's a great character.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Episode 11 is brilliant, Penny's a great character.

It's extremely well done. It's just also nearly unwatchable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I dont know posted:

It's extremely well done. It's just also nearly unwatchable.

There's a difference between being unwatchable and being painful to watch

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I had a weird cognitive-dissonance thing with the build up, "oh this is probably all just counts as whacky hijinks that no-one gets in trouble with in this universe." then BIM BAM THANK YOU MADAM

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Megaspel posted:

I had a weird cognitive-dissonance thing with the build up, "oh this is probably all just counts as whacky hijinks that no-one gets in trouble with in this universe." then BIM BAM THANK YOU MADAM

That's the thing about the BoJack universe, its a bit of a deconstruction of shows that it looks like outwardly. No one returns to the status quo at the end of the episode, the wacky hijinks does have consequences.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Iron Crowned posted:

That's the thing about the BoJack universe, its a bit of a deconstruction of shows that it looks like outwardly. No one returns to the status quo at the end of the episode, the wacky hijinks does have consequences.

Except for Todd

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Viva Toddfoolery!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a difference between being unwatchable and being painful to watch

I've contemplated doing a rewatch of the seasons, but that episode always stops me in my tracks. I do NOT want to go through that episode again.

So yeah, it's a very good episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

I've contemplated doing a rewatch of the seasons, but that episode always stops me in my tracks. I do NOT want to go through that episode again.

So yeah, it's a very good episode.

I've rewatched the series a couple of times. Season 1 Episode 11 makes me feel very sad about Bojack, Season 2 Episode 11 makes me cringe every time. Both are great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

radlum posted:

I've rewatched the series a couple of times. Season 1 Episode 11 makes me feel very sad about Bojack, Season 2 Episode 11 makes me cringe every time. Both are great.

I haven't rewatched season 2 yet but I always have to stop for the day when its time for S1E11, I know it'll be the same on S2E11 when that happens

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Entropic posted:

Viva Toddfoolery!

Suck a dick, dumbshits!

I think "Let's Find Out" (s2e8) is the pinnacle of the series so far, and probably my pick for single-best episode of any series this year. It's so perfectly crafted, so busy, all the jokes land, and at the same time they're hitting some deep poo poo in the Bojack/Peanutbutter relationship that has lasting consequences, AND they're juggling, what, eight characters perfectly? Wanda's infatuation with the second-screen app, Mia vs. Todd for J.D. Salinger's Pen, Bojack vs. Peanutbutter, Bojack vs. Daniel Radcliffe, the insane twists and turns in the never-tested, presumably-created-in-an-hour game show... it's all so drat good. Lisa Kudrow as Wanda was brilliant, she can turn on a dime (the second-screen app stuff vs. her "good little happy ending" speech to Mr. PB is top notch stuff).

And of course, the ending. "Elijah Wood!" -> reactions -> money falls in fire pit -> immediate cut to black. Perfect timing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I just marathoned through the series over this weekend. I was initially kind of resistant to watching it; I think I was just expecting Drawn Together starring Will Arnett. A few friends of mine had been raving about it on FB, and I came across the OP of this thread and figured OK, I'll give it a chance.

... so good! Lots of emotional gutpunches (S02E11, holy hell), but at the same time, it's made me laugh quite a bit too. I think what someone else was saying about the dad jokes and bleak character drama sorta throwing each other in relief is spot on. There are a good number of them which do fall completely flat for me, but it's worth it for the ones that land. Lots of subtle things in the background, look forward to a re-watch sometime.

I really like the running gag of Mr. Peanutbutter not understanding the concept of wordplay, and everyone but Bojack playing Vincent Adultman straight. J.D. Salinger's character is so delightfully unexpected, and that whole game show with the screaming title cards and stuff is just awesome. Really, there's so much to like about this show.

CRINDY posted:

And of course, the ending. "Elijah Wood!" -> reactions -> money falls in fire pit -> immediate cut to black. Perfect timing.

Yeah, that was probably the funniest gag of the series so far, which is saying a lot. Lost it IRL at that.

I don't know what it is about A Ryan Seacrest Type, but his character design is just so off-putting and creepy. I think it's the lips.

Season 2 especially hit home because my girlfriend (who is a Zoe like Diane) just went to central Africa for 3 months for some volunteer work and the situation is a lot rougher than she was expecting. :smith:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I really like the running gag of Mr. Peanutbutter not understanding the concept of wordplay, and everyone but Bojack playing Vincent Adultman straight. J.D. Salinger's character is so delightfully unexpected, and that whole game show with the screaming title cards and stuff is just awesome. Really, there's so much to like about this show.
I'm pretty sure it's Alison Brie screaming the DEATH FROM ABOVE stuff. She actually seems to do a whole bunch of different voices on the show including Vincent Adultman.

The bit that always makes me laugh is any time Sarah Lynn is yelling stuff. Like in the funeral episode when she's being held back from attacking or old co-star and yelling "I'M GONNA HULK OUT!!" Kristin Schaal is so good at that.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Alison Brie screaming the DEATH FROM ABOVE stuff. She actually seems to do a whole bunch of different voices on the show including Vincent Adultman.

The bit that always makes me laugh is any time Sarah Lynn is yelling stuff. Like in the funeral episode when she's being held back from attacking or old co-star and yelling "I'M GONNA HULK OUT!!" Kristin Schaal is so good at that.

I could have sworn DEATH FROM ABOVE et al were Kristin Schaal.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

not shrill enough to be Schaal

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
i thought it was amy poehler, imdb says it was brie tho

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

i thought it was amy poehler, imdb says it was brie tho
Poehler was the voice of Hank Hippopopolous.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Brie really is quite talented as a voice actor and shows off tremendous range. I hope she gets to keep trying new characters come S3.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Megaspel posted:

I don't think I've seen a heap of praise for her in this thread but Olivia Wilde is great as Charlotte. I liked the casting at first but hearing the venom come out in S2E11 really cemented it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

PTizzle posted:

I don't think I've seen a heap of praise for her in this thread but Olivia Wilde is great as Charlotte. I liked the casting at first but hearing the venom come out in S2E11 really cemented it.

Oh wow I had no idea that was her, I'll listen more closely on a re-watch.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Does anyone else think Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter might try to adopt an older child next season? Diane seemed to really enjoy taking care of that war orphan (before he got blown up) and her friend Bojack has an orphanage so he can probably get her one pretty quick. Mr. Peanutbutter would probably love the idea (adopting an orphan would be just like his sitcom!) he might even insit on getting twins (so the whole thing thing can be even more like his sitcom). I can't decide if it'd end up as a good thing or go horribly wrong like most other things on this show

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Does anyone else think Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter might try to adopt an older child next season? Diane seemed to really enjoy taking care of that war orphan (before he got blown up) and her friend Bojack has an orphanage so he can probably get her one pretty quick. Mr. Peanutbutter would probably love the idea (adopting an orphan would be just like his sitcom!) he might even insit on getting twins (so the whole thing thing can be even more like his sitcom). I can't decide if it'd end up as a good thing or go horribly wrong like most other things on this show

This makes a ton of sense. Add to this the fact that Mr. Peanutbutter is a yellow lab, so of course he loves children. Despite everything else, Diana and Mr. Peanutbutter's relationship seems to be one of the only things on the show that doesn't go horribly wrong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do think it's interesting Diane was so hard on Sebastian when he at least could hack it and she couldn't.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I've binged this show over the last few days and have only 2 episodes left.

It took a few episodes to really find its voice, but boy did it ever.

I love the background gags in this show. Mr Peanutbutter's horrible printing shop "Happy 35th Birthday Diane and underline Diane why is this so hard to understand?" on a t-shirt had me laughing for a good five minutes. Also the animal gags are hilarious.

This is a really good show and I'm sad it took me this long to watch it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Retail Slave posted:

I've binged this show over the last few days and have only 2 episodes left.

It took a few episodes to really find its voice, but boy did it ever.

I love the background gags in this show. Mr Peanutbutter's horrible printing shop "Happy 35th Birthday Diane and underline Diane why is this so hard to understand?" on a t-shirt had me laughing for a good five minutes. Also the animal gags are hilarious.

This is a really good show and I'm sad it took me this long to watch it.

Wait, you've got two episodes to go? That means...

Oh.

Oh boy.

Ohhhhhhh boy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

DivisionPost posted:

Wait, you've got two episodes to go? That means...

Oh.

Oh boy.

Ohhhhhhh boy.

Am I missing something? I watched the last 2 tonight. The whole thing with his old fling and her family in New Mexico and the whole "Getting Todd off the ship" things were good, but I'm tired and I might be missing what you're referencing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You didn't find New Mexico to be like getting decapitated? You're made of stern stuff.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
It took me like sixteen hours to get through new mexico. I didn't even want them to cut to todd because I was convinced it would cut back to Bojack and Penny in bed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
New Mexico didn't bother me too much. I don't take my cartoon comedy shows that seriously.

I watched it while tired, so I probably wasn't firing on all cylinders, either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well then....

What are YOUUUUU doing here?!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Well then....

That reminds me, thank you whoever it was that mentioned that "What are you doing here" was a line Bojack says normally in nearly every episode, even season 1. It stands out so much now, and really makes his issues saying the line for the movie that much funnier.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Fantastic

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Data Graham posted:

Well then....

Suck a dick, dumbshits!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't know what it is about A Ryan Seacrest Type, but his character design is just so off-putting and creepy. I think it's the lips.

I feel like the creepiness is done on purpose. He's got this super eager inflection to his voice and then these dead, unresponsive fish eyes.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Much harder to design a simple yet eye-catching human cartoon character than an animal one especially in limited animation and no really crazy "cartoony" body types or facial features. See also Rick and Morty where alongside all the crazy aliens etc are these humans that look like Family Guy background extras. Bojack's humans look fairly interesting and diverse although their lack of articulation is more obvious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The animators in Rick and Morty probably get burned out drawing crazy aliens and just phone it in for the human background characters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The animators in Rick and Morty probably get burned out drawing crazy aliens and just phone it in for the human background characters.
The human background characters are also crazy aliens, they appear phoned in to avoid detection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

They're both lazy, it's just that Bojack has a really generic art style so all the background people look like Bitstrips characters while in R&M they still at least look like something Justin Roiland would doodle in his trapper keeper as Dan Harmon goes through a 10 minute long unmedicated rant about the world ending because bonobos and cell phones.