Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maybe someone at Funcom realized they needed to actually market TSW and this is just going to be some sort of marketing to get people to play it? What's left of the TSW team seem to be more involved with the game than Joel was so maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wait is Joel gone? Who's going to passive-aggressively poo poo on players' opinions publicly now?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

orcane posted:

Wait is Joel gone? Who's going to passive-aggressively poo poo on players' opinions publicly now?

Player opinions are why we got the Tacticool Earpiece.

QED

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

orcane posted:

He's still at Funcom but he's no longer TSW's Game Director.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

QED

That idea needed poo poo on and he didn't. Dude dropped that ball.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I couldn't fight off the itch any more and downloaded this thing again-is there still a group out that runs old nightmare content, at least? I know I've cleared at least half of them (still have the gear from the egypt thing and the.... aztec guy? whatever that was).

Is AR/Pistols or AR/Shotgun still a viable damage setup, or has that gotten nerfed all to hell? I recall it being a crazy DPS setup wayy back in the day.

Good news is, I have enough bullion somehow to upgrade a bunch of stuff so maybe I won't be utterly and totally hosed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

QED

Basically what Plat said. He failed to poo poo on the bad ideas, and kept making GBS threads on valid criticism and good ideas.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Let's not forget that the other player-voted contest had its own controversy because the original "winning" costume design was disqualified because the artist worked "for an affiliate". That's why we ended up with the stupid Ballistic Veil outfit.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 26, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
When was the last time they added actually new outfits to the item shop? I can't even spend my funbux because there's literally nothing to buy anymore (no I'm not gonna buy half a dozen recolors of the same pants thank you very much), unless you count "collector's editions" of content packs...

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Morglon posted:

Fun clothes or adventure packs.

I remember now why everybody hated Issue 8 though, this scenario bullshit is still plain unfun. You're not gonna die, you're not gonna have trouble killing the bads if they actually fight you but you will get snared a ton and enemies will run past you to kill your guys and you're not gonna catch up with them. At least you can get all the augment poo poo from doing literally anything so Venice can suck it.

Wait, you can get augments with BBs now? Or just the upgrade components?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
New instance confirms what sent dicks up the Illuminati and Templars: Daimon doesn't just have Third Era tech, he has a loving Gaia Engine stashed away and controls the keys to it - something the Dragon now have.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Oh, I didn't know the new dungeon was out yet. How's it hold up quality-wise? (I won't have my desktop back until some time in September.)

revenance posted:

Wait, you can get augments with BBs now? Or just the upgrade components?

Just the upgrade components.

**The fact that I can just buy filth containers to level up my AEGIS makes me actually want to do that. I'm gonna do that.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 28, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo, between raids and farming 2 years ago and jumping straight back into NM stuff now, I forgot just how loving spooky this game can be. Just went through issue #5's stuff for the first time and the fog stuff is just legitimately creepy as gently caress.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Cheston posted:

Oh, I didn't know the new dungeon was out yet. How's it hold up quality-wise? (I won't have my desktop back until some time in September.)

Just the upgrade components.

**The fact that I can just buy filth containers to level up my AEGIS makes me actually want to do that. I'm gonna do that.

With the new patch (12.1) you will be able to buy augments with BB. They will be blue level augments.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I bought the Massive Edition during a Steam sale last December, but didn't actually start playing it until last week's news about FunCom's money problems. I figured that I'd better get to it while I still can.

I started a Templar, trying out a few different weapon combos, but nothing seemed to click for me, my character looks like poo poo, and Sonnac is boring.

So I rolled a much better looking Lumi, going Blade/Ele right off the bat, and I'm loving it. Ran my first Polaris last night, and loved it. KG also clicks way better for me too. My build is doing really well so far for survival-dps, but I get that I'll be changing things around a lot as I keep playing.

I want to roll a Dragon toon as well, focused on tanking. I'm definitely going Hammer, probably pairing it with Chaos, Fists or Blood(in that order). I don't plan to go Hammer/Blade on this toon, since I'm already focused on Blade with my main. Would this Hammer/Chaos build still be relevant for doing something like tanking normal Ur Draug at Q3? Or is current consensus that one of the other secondary weapons would pair better for a lowbie Hammer tank?
http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-inner-wheel-tanking/

Also, I received my 1200 temporary FunBux for completing 30 missions. The Massive Edition covers issues 1-7, but 8's description looks like it's just Scenarios. I don't know what Scenarios are yet, but it sounds like they're really unpopular judging by everything I've heard. Should I just skip to buying Issue 9 or one of the three story packs instead?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I suggest getting Further Analysis so you can do Immersion, which is a mission that lets you then skip scenarios by paying an NPC in Venice 1mill PAX. Scenarios are still handy for augments but that's about it. They suck to grind.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

novaSphere posted:

I suggest getting Further Analysis so you can do Immersion, which is a mission that lets you then skip scenarios by paying an NPC in Venice 1mill PAX. Scenarios are still handy for augments but that's about it. They suck to grind.

Someone upthread mentioned that the scenario-token cost for entry to Tokyo is now 1 BB, so the 1 mil pax is probably the less-affordable option.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Did I just gently caress myself over by accepting the Gift at the end of Dawning of an Endless Night? I meant to refuse it but how exactly really wasn't clear, so I thought I had to click on it and then I'd get a choice to accept or refuse it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Your choices affect the ultimate skill you receive at the end of your jaunt through the Orochi tower.

All the "light" choices result in a skill that heals on activation and does damage three seconds later. Dark results in damage first and heal later. Being wishy-washy gets you a skill that does both damage and healing over three ticks. The numerical values for all three skills are the same.

Also, you refuse it by jumping off the cliff.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Which is still a rather lovely payoff for all that hype they built up way back. But meh, what the gently caress ever, blue wings are the best anyway but I find myself barely using it because I Might Need It Later™

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kessel posted:

Your choices affect the ultimate skill you receive at the end of your jaunt through the Orochi tower.

All the "light" choices result in a skill that heals on activation and does damage three seconds later. Dark results in damage first and heal later. Being wishy-washy gets you a skill that does both damage and healing over three ticks. The numerical values for all three skills are the same.

Also, you refuse it by jumping off the cliff.

Oh, well alright then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's such a disappointing result for giving myself over to the forces of evil.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I tried to run Polaris with a friend plus a group of random people, but we kept getting our rear end kicked by the Varangian boss. At what point, gear/skill wise is it best to run that dungeon because I'll be damned if we didn't wipe every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ziji posted:

I tried to run Polaris with a friend plus a group of random people, but we kept getting our rear end kicked by the Varangian boss. At what point, gear/skill wise is it best to run that dungeon because I'll be damned if we didn't wipe every time.

I think that zone gives like ql2-3 greens? Make sure everyone is kitted out with those and it shouldn't be too hard. What exactly was getting you guys there?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Len posted:

I think that zone gives like ql2-3 greens? Make sure everyone is kitted out with those and it shouldn't be too hard. What exactly was getting you guys there?

Probably more inexperience/brand new players more than anything. Myself and my friend have been playing for a few weeks now and I have some QL4/3 stuff and was way ahead of the others in terms of progression. Mostly people refusing to follow the fights parameters though like avoiding the electric current in the water/on the containers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ziji posted:

Probably more inexperience/brand new players more than anything. Myself and my friend have been playing for a few weeks now and I have some QL4/3 stuff and was way ahead of the others in terms of progression. Mostly people refusing to follow the fights parameters though like avoiding the electric current in the water/on the containers.

Yeah that would do it. Don't stand in the poo poo is the biggest hurdle with the dungeons.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Just started playing this after picking it up on Steam over the summer. I'm only an hour or so into and liking it so far, but I was wondering if there was a way to skip through / advance the dialogue? I'm not talking about the cutscene stuff, just the audio when you're talking through people in the regular game? I hate having to sit through voice acting (as skilled as it may be).

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Just started playing this after picking it up on Steam over the summer. I'm only an hour or so into and liking it so far, but I was wondering if there was a way to skip through / advance the dialogue? I'm not talking about the cutscene stuff, just the audio when you're talking through people in the regular game? I hate having to sit through voice acting (as skilled as it may be).

Press Space to skip i believe.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, I finished the game. After 2,5 years of on and off playing, now I feel sad

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Did you do cost of magic? If not, you have not finished the game. See you in another 2.5 years.

All jokes aside, I had the same feeling about finishing the story line missions and DLCs, but the good news is that there might be a season 2 if Funcom gets their poo poo together. I am looking forward to firing up the game again around Halloween. Hopefully they put out some good content this year. I really liked what they did last year; Hearing some old timey radio broadcast blaring as I was running around set the mood well (plus the mission tied to them was really good).

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
You know what I want to see at some point? A mission where you get to drive a tank like the ones scattered around Tokyo and blow poo poo up with it. The motorbikes already prove the engine can do vehicles complete with swapping out powers for ones that make the vehicle do things, so there's no technical reason it shouldn't be entirely possible. It'd be kind of not really fitting with the established mechanics of the game but gently caress that, it'd be awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

General Maximus posted:

You know what I want to see at some point? A mission where you get to drive a tank like the ones scattered around Tokyo and blow poo poo up with it. The motorbikes already prove the engine can do vehicles complete with swapping out powers for ones that make the vehicle do things, so there's no technical reason it shouldn't be entirely possible. It'd be kind of not really fitting with the established mechanics of the game but gently caress that, it'd be awesome.

It didn't used to. In the old days you got buttons in your inventory that you had to click to do the special actions. That mission in Transylvania where you became a ghost thing was loving abysmal.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Well, I'm glad I never got to that mission before it was changed then. Point stands though, it can do it now so this is a mission we need to get.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Made it about three months before getting burnt out on the grind again. But I managed to get one of my aegis items to 1.9 and finally got around to doing all the dungeons on elite so that was nice.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

TracerM17 posted:

Did you do cost of magic? If not, you have not finished the game. See you in another 2.5 years.

All jokes aside, I had the same feeling about finishing the story line missions and DLCs, but the good news is that there might be a season 2 if Funcom gets their poo poo together. I am looking forward to firing up the game again around Halloween. Hopefully they put out some good content this year. I really liked what they did last year; Hearing some old timey radio broadcast blaring as I was running around set the mood well (plus the mission tied to them was really good).

Sure, I've done cost of magic :D I only skipped Eye of Horus for being horrible and Chainsaw Massacre because it bugged for me.
Regarding new season, maybe I'm a pessimist but their older content was much more interesting and better quality than say Tokyo. Tokyo also has its moments, e. g. I really liked Inbeda but overall Freeborn, Last Train and Emma stuff are just incredible.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 14, 2015

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So taking a page of the "Neverwinter MMO" book the secret world has added a new currency (Right after consolidating down to two currencies!)

It actually isnt that bad, the currency seems to be more oriented towards cosmetic stuff. They are called Lucky Coins and you can get them from store-bought bags and presumably event bags. You cash in your lucky coins to get things like a military dog pet or some cool berets.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Exmond posted:

So taking a page of the "Neverwinter MMO" book

Oh please no

Exmond posted:

the secret world has added a new currency (Right after consolidating down to two currencies!)

Don't scare me like that.

Edit: Yeah that's not even really a currency, that's just making grab bags less poo poo and strangely enough I'm fine with that.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 19, 2015

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Haven't played this in awhile. Picked it back up recently just to see through Tokyo for the story content.

Today I got hung up on a mission (Brotherly Loathe) so I thought "What the hell, it's an MMO. I'll just see if there's anyone to group with."
I try chat. I try the LFG channel. I use the LFG tool. I see that there's a TSW Subreddit so I try their channel for the hell of it (both in-game and IRC)

There's nobody. Anywhere. Tumbleweeds.

This is what a dead game feels like, folks.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I always see people hanging around for dungeons, doing PvP and events are pretty swarmed too. Could just be Tokyo or questing in general. I've seen dead games and while this one isn't really super populated at least there are things going on. Including the occasional update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

macnbc posted:

Haven't played this in awhile. Picked it back up recently just to see through Tokyo for the story content.

Today I got hung up on a mission (Brotherly Loathe) so I thought "What the hell, it's an MMO. I'll just see if there's anyone to group with."
I try chat. I try the LFG channel. I use the LFG tool. I see that there's a TSW Subreddit so I try their channel for the hell of it (both in-game and IRC)

There's nobody. Anywhere. Tumbleweeds.

This is what a dead game feels like, folks.

Ahh everyone has joined private chat channels. Use the /#Sanctuary chat channel to find people. Or the /#noobmares chat channel to find people.

I will admit that the way they instance + population means you won't find people hanging out in general chat.

• Locked thread