Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Urban Sorcerer posted:

I'm not sure what I was expecting but wow EA R'Lyeh went from being the worst nation to the most worst nation - It only has units with iron weapons and armor so now instead of just being unable to get on land and do anything its units are even trashier than before in the water.

From the four main UW nations, Atlantis, Oceania, Pelagia and R'lyeh, it is the one left almost untouched. I want to believe it has been left for the rumored "UW patch, part 2". It seems they still have some changes left to do.
I also was disappointed, R'lyeh is one of the reasons I bought this game at first, it's always mentioned as example of the wacky and varied natiosn that the game have ("...and they also have underwater races inspired in Lovecraft myths!").

Despite my abundance of posting in the last weeks, I didn't play in a while. I was thinking of some SP with one of my unplayed nations, like EA Yomi. Any hints?
I know there are some discussion if the turmoil scales are worth it or not for them. They want gold for the expensive onis, but they also lose power in Order. What's the standard Pret. build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Despite my abundance of posting in the last weeks, I didn't play in a while. I was thinking of some SP with one of my unplayed nations, like EA Yomi. Any hints?
I know there are some discussion if the turmoil scales are worth it or not for them. They want gold for the expensive onis, but they also lose power in Order. What's the standard Pret. build?

I run Turmoil 3/Luck 3/Magic 3. EA doesn't have enough pop to make Order worthwhile outside of caps, and Aka Oni are fantastic at expanding in Turmoil. I tend to stop building oni troops as soon as I start getting some serious headway into Enchantment; they're too expensive to use most of the time.

I'm doing pretty solidly with an Erfsnake Dom 7/8? T3/S3/H3/G0/L3/M3 E6N7. Between him and my Dai Oni I can cast basically every good Enchantment global (including three gemgens), so I can focus almost exclusively in it. Not to mention fantastic sitesearching and expansion.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Absum posted:

this is some faint praise right here

it is, but ashdod is perfectly playable

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Samog posted:

it is, but ashdod is perfectly playable

Yeah I would put them at a solid C+ or so. They are fine, not good, but they can absolutely win a game. They just aren't favored out of any smattering of random MA nations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

jellyberd

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The ultimate Illithid weapon; a jellyfish onna stick!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

My Therodos fiscal policy:
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3666

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

jBrereton posted:

"Hmm how can we have a powerful female character for Oceania"
"She pretty much just lives on an island and gets knobbed but she controls the sea"
"Brilliant"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Urban Sorcerer posted:

I'm not sure what I was expecting but wow EA R'Lyeh went from being the worst nation to the most worst nation - It only has units with iron weapons and armor so now instead of just being unable to get on land and do anything its units are even trashier than before in the water.
Hey, get this, it's easy to fix, and in doing so accidentally make EA R'lyeh slightly better by making their gear magical, and so good against those bastard ghosts etc. that now live underwater.

Additional features include a mod icon involving a kelp hod.

Tada!

e: Just realised they still can't even bring loving Lobo Guards onto land without an Amulet of the Fish or similar, what a garbage nation.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 27, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Make an Evolution Juice item that works similarly to the hit movie Pandorum.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I find amusing that the new gaming youtube thingie knows about Dominions 1, 2 and 3 but not about Dominions 4

About Yomi, I was thinking too in an awake Earthsnake, with something like T3S3H1L3M2-3.
What about the mage summons? Should I take A2E1W2N1 in my Pretender to summon them? It's the only way to do it (or empowerment). They can cast Foul Vapors, Rain, Quagmire, Frost Fend, Stygian Rains and Rain of Stones, Mist, Arrow Fend, Wind Guide, so they could be pretty useful.

A related doubt. Stygian Rains works with undead? And with demons? The description mentions "only living entities" though I don't see any tag related to undeads.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure you really need Magic as Yomi. The claim on their nation blurb that they have shite research is a huge lie.

It's expensive if you go for the high-RP option, but you have 15 on your Hannya mages (available in every fort) and a respectable 11 on your Sorcerers (which are 115 gold), plus access to Dwarven Hammers as well as Air Quills, Lightless Lanterns, and Skull Mentors. You don't have any native B but it's never impossible to get a B1 mage.

Instead of T3S3M3, would personally go for T3S3G3 instead. The money from Growth helps a lot.

You could probably even spring for Drain, but there's not all that much you need on a pretender for Yomi. They expand extremely well with their demons, and later on you already have access to about half the spells you wanted to cast with that god of yours through your national mages (notably RoS, also Wailing Winds, Magma Eruption, Plague and a bunch of other nasty stuff).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You take magic and luck for the gem events mainly
I've had the shipwrecked mage event quite often as magic 2 luck 3 Yomi.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Instead of T3S3M3, would personally go for T3S3G3 instead. The money from Growth helps a lot.

Magic unlocks better luck events, both gems and gold. It takes forever for Growth to become meaningful anywhere but your cap and the one large farm on the map in EA. In the first 12 turns of each of my Yomi tests for Hirb, I got at least 1000 gold from events alone, and often I got 1500+, plus gems, plus faster research.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started the game and thanks to Luck in turn3 or 4 I got a magic site (or a event that gave me the site?) called "Castle Arcanum". That's a free castle + 2 gem site + wizard with +10rp adept researcher :O :O. Pity this never happens in a real mp game.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Turin Turambar posted:

I started the game and thanks to Luck in turn3 or 4 I got a magic site (or a event that gave me the site?) called "Castle Arcanum". That's a free castle + 2 gem site + wizard with +10rp adept researcher :O :O. Pity this never happens in a real mp game.

You also get way more heros in test games.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Test games are a really good way to get hosed because you expected to get your pro as heck hero on turn 5 and he didn't show up until turn 70

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I never get heroes in test games or otherwise.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

fool_of_sound posted:

I never get heroes in test games or otherwise.

Yeah, but do you bother to max your Luck? Because the only times I've reliably gotten my national heroes is when I've got Luck 3...and indeed, Turmoil 3 + Luck 3 to get the extra percentage boost to events happening in the first place.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, but do you bother to max your Luck?

Yes. And Turmoil doesn't affect hero chance iirc; it doesn't use the event system and is only based on luck.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

fool_of_sound posted:

Yes. And Turmoil doesn't affect hero chance iirc; it doesn't use the event system and is only based on luck.

Yep. Hero chance is a flat 3 +\- 1% per luck\misfortune scale per turn. The scales in question appear to be the ones on your cap province.

Heroes are nice but sufficiently unreliable that they should be considered a bonus and not something you plan to get.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Huh, I didn't know that. Good thing I only do Turmoil/Luck on Pangaea where you need the Turmoil for more Maenads, huh?

Man, this game has so many little quirks and hidden information in it. :sigh:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Neruz posted:

Yep. Hero chance is a flat 3 +\- 1% per luck\misfortune scale per turn. The scales in question appear to be the ones on your cap province.

Heroes are nice but sufficiently unreliable that they should be considered a bonus and not something you plan to get.

Does that mean you can't get heroes with mis3?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of Luck/Misfortune: Can Drain 3 still screw you over with events if you grab Luck? I don't remember seeing anyone taking Drain 3 ever.

Also, how does resistance to something work against the Stun damage coming from a resisted Source? Manual says it's Resistance x 2, but I don't trust it. :tinfoil:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Finnish Flasher posted:

I believe so, but have not tested enough to be able to say for sure.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Finnish Flasher posted:

yes

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of Luck/Misfortune: Can Drain 3 still screw you over with events if you grab Luck? I don't remember seeing anyone taking Drain 3 ever.

yes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dunno, I think Mis3 is even worse than Drain3. Drain is bad but I suppose it can be bearable with some nation with a combination of good troops and cheap researchers with access to research boosters. Mis3 is just having bad events after bad events, barbs attacks, knights attacks, rebellion events, gem and gold losses, etc.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
D3 is a no-brainer on a handful of nations, like Bogarus. I don't think anyone wants to take Mis 3 ever, you're asking to get your troops diverted and massive gold losses turn after turn (although the gem loss part is very very easy to avoid by keeping your gems on your mages rather than in the bank).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

D3 is a no-brainer on a handful of nations, like Bogarus. I don't think anyone wants to take Mis 3 ever, you're asking to get your troops diverted and massive gold losses turn after turn (although the gem loss part is very very easy to avoid by keeping your gems on your mages rather than in the bank).

Wat. Firebirds want magic.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Mis 3 is useful for generating corpses, certain nations can benefit from this.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Misfortune scales are far, far too punishing due to indy events and can simply remove you from a game no matter how well you were playing. It's a mechanic that demands a revamp but probably will never get one so yeah, have fun

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Misfortune scales are far, far too punishing due to indy events and can simply remove you from a game no matter how well you were playing. It's a mechanic that demands a revamp but probably will never get one so yeah, have fun

I've never had problems with Mis1. I always regret Mis2+ though.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Mis 1 is doable, though I've seen really good games torn completely apart by indy attacks every turn for 15+ consecutive turns. Mis 2 is virtual suicide.

Indy attacks are a garbage mechanic and need to go. You don't see dozens of events that flat-out give you new provinces so why the gently caress are there events that take them away and leave an army there you sometimes can't even kill.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I've never had problems with Mis1. I always regret Mis2+ though.

Mis1 and 2 are mostly the same indie attacks. Mis2 does unlock knights in MA which sucks and I try to avoid it if I can.

Mis3 is big barbarian attacks as well as the little ones and generates far more indie annoyances. I never run Mis3.

Lysdexic
Jan 3, 2008
What time is it? It's about Lunch o' clock
What are you guys thoughts on MA Pelagia now? They have some pretty decent coastal troops (though they're only MM1 with a short sword...) and they get a late game summon with like 4 in all the paths for 30N gems.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lysdexic posted:

What are you guys thoughts on MA Pelagia now? They have some pretty decent coastal troops (though they're only MM1 with a short sword...) and they get a late game summon with like 4 in all the paths for 30N gems.

None of those things particularly matter. What does matter:

Resource change UW means you can make your better amphibious troops more than 3 at a time if desired.
You have amphibious mages who aren't trash! oops that's ea
You have coastal mystic wannabes with excellent paths and native rain of stones access. They combine beautifully with the aforementioned amphibious guys.

And you are still Pelagia and function as a game timer. They could already win games before due to the timer thing but with the changes they could grab a little land from losers and possibly hold it instead of just getting dunked on until year 3. Their amphibious sacreds are quite forgettable but you could totally make a strategy that ignores them.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 28, 2015

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Does rain of stones damage your own units?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Boy, does it!

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
So how do you use it? Send one mage to cast it to fk up an army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finnish Flasher posted:

So how do you use it? Send one mage to cast it to fk up an army?

Mage-thugs that are tough enough to handle a pair of RoS. Or usually, "defensive" RoS where you put a pair of mages in a province you suspect is going to be attacked by a big enemy forces, and drop the RoS in the first turn (and then die or try to retreat).

• Locked thread