Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Leaked renders of the upcoming flagships.

Tallman is the one in blue. 5.2 inch screen. Black is cityman with 5.7 inch screen.

Both look..... interesting?
Certainly less distinctive than the 920 or 1020. Basically a combination of 730. And 650 body design with some design cues from the 830 camera (which was itself an homage to the 1020). Unfortunately, neither really looks that premium compared to the iPhone or galaxy series and rumor is they'll be priced along with those high end phones.

Frankly I think the camera ring on the cityman is hideous and 5.7 inches is probably too big for me. However, this makes it look like the 950 non XL version will NOT have built in wireless charging (see the dots for attaching a charging shell at the top and bottom).

Definitely not a home run for Microsoft...

Why did they give the shorter of the two phones the codename 'tallman'?

I see we're solidly back in the camp of putting speakers on the rear of the phone as well - the speakers on the 920 were awesome and it's all been downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The Lord Bude posted:

It's actually "Talkman".

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

soapgish posted:

I enter my flights manually and have never had an issue. This I do the night before as the same flight numbers are used daily for the two cities I live between, and don't want all my emails skimmed, so perhaps you're not noticing it being added and disappearing in a short window of time on certain airlines/individual flights? My only thought.

wookieepelt posted:

This link shows what Cortana looks for.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn632191.aspx?f=255&mspperror=-2147217396

I think you can find the tracked flight info in the reminders section of the notebook.

Ah I found the spot, it's in "interests" in the burger menu for some reason, wat down the list. Sure enough only one leg of a return (one stop over each so four) legs is tracked. lovely.

So how do I enter manually? Each time I go interest> travel > add the thing craps out and goes back two menu levels.

Such an excellent feature when it works but goddamn is it undermined by inconsistencies. Waiting til MS stop supporting Cortana on winphone altogether.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
How does one change a route in HERE Maps everytime it spits out a retarded route that's out of the way or has unnecessary toll roads besides reloading the route/app and hoping it picks a more suitable route?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

I don't like how far from center the camera is. One of my biggest turn offs for the iphone is having the camera tucked in the corner.

I agree with you. Most of the phones with the camera in the corner makes up for nice fingerprint pics.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Mr Funkface posted:

Ah I found the spot, it's in "interests" in the burger menu for some reason, wat down the list. Sure enough only one leg of a return (one stop over each so four) legs is tracked. lovely.

So how do I enter manually? Each time I go interest> travel > add the thing craps out and goes back two menu levels.

Such an excellent feature when it works but goddamn is it undermined by inconsistencies. Waiting til MS stop supporting Cortana on winphone altogether.

I've always just entered the flight number in the search box, and then the show updates button underneath the current flight status.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

I think you just tell her to "track (x airline) flight #" That worked with Delta for me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

wookieepelt posted:

I think you just tell her to "track (x airline) flight #" That worked with Delta for me.

Yeah, I just hit search, type "DLxxxx" (gotta get them SkyMiles), then tap "Track this flight" or whatever when the info pops up.

On those phones, this is seriously dire. I want to love one, either, but there is no skirting around the fact that a list of fatal flaws is rolling off the tongue merely by glancing at them.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The button placement... why.... :ughh:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Leaked renders of the upcoming flagships.

Tallman is the one in blue. 5.2 inch screen. Black is cityman with 5.7 inch screen.

Both look..... interesting?
Certainly less distinctive than the 920 or 1020. Basically a combination of 730. And 650 body design with some design cues from the 830 camera (which was itself an homage to the 1020). Unfortunately, neither really looks that premium compared to the iPhone or galaxy series and rumor is they'll be priced along with those high end phones.

Frankly I think the camera ring on the cityman is hideous and 5.7 inches is probably too big for me. However, this makes it look like the 950 non XL version will NOT have built in wireless charging (see the dots for attaching a charging shell at the top and bottom).

Definitely not a home run for Microsoft...

You have them backwards, Talkman is the black one and Cityman is the blue

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Those look like solid phones other than the awkward button placement on the blue one. The camera ring is probably a design meant to evoke Cortana and helps the phone stand out when everyone sees you use it on the train. The camera bump doesn't mean the phones won't have wireless charging provided they're tall enough.

They're going to need a really solid phone to stop me from switching to an iPhone 6S but those look pretty close.

The Lord Bude posted:

I see we're solidly back in the camp of putting speakers on the rear of the phone as well - the speakers on the 920 were awesome and it's all been downhill from there.
*gypsy voice* THINNER

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I definitely miss the 920's square-corner design :(

(I'm not gonna let something like the phone's corners influence my phone-purchase decision though)

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

How does one change a route in HERE Maps everytime it spits out a retarded route that's out of the way or has unnecessary toll roads besides reloading the route/app and hoping it picks a more suitable route?

In Here Drive+, you can adjust routes under "Route Settings" where you can set the route optimization and what kinds of roads or routes you want to follow or avoid. I would not recommend adjusting those settings while you're driving.

Also, excluding toll roads isn't perfect because it will exclude all toll roads even if only portions of the road are tolled. For example, you'll have a really hard time getting around eastern central New Jersey if you avoid the Garden State Parkway. The stretch between Union and the Raritan River are toll free but Here Drive will avoid it if you set it to avoid toll roads. So if you want to go North or South in that area, Here Drive will make you drive on local roads or go 20 miles to the west to the closest North-South Interstate. That's why I have mine set to go on toll roads.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 27, 2015

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

You have them backwards, Talkman is the black one and Cityman is the blue

I do believe you are correct actually. I fixed my post.

This is problematic... I'd prefer the smaller size but a rather strongly dislike the look of that camera ring.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Venusy posted:

I've always just entered the flight number in the search box, and then the show updates button underneath the current flight status.

wookieepelt posted:

This is tedious and not what I would call the future. Skim my emails goddamnit! Cross-Atlantic multi-time-zone open-jaw stop-overs are not conducive to be entered manually. I'll just stick with Google digesting my info and syncing the phone calendar. It doesn't do it well either but at least I can review it fairly easily rather than have it hidden in the bowels of the burger. Bunch of bullshit is what.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Mr Funkface posted:

This is tedious and not what I would call the future. Skim my emails goddamnit! Cross-Atlantic multi-time-zone open-jaw stop-overs are not conducive to be entered manually. I'll just stick with Google digesting my info and syncing the phone calendar. It doesn't do it well either but at least I can review it fairly easily rather than have it hidden in the bowels of the burger. Bunch of bullshit is what.

I agree with you that entering flight numbers manually seems like a bit much work to get Cortana to track your flights, but what I don't understand is why it isn't already tracking them for you. When I was using my 1520 regularly whenever I booked a flight and got an email about it, Cortana would ask me if I wanted to track that flight (or flights if there were multiple flights in the email).

Unless you're talking about the W10 preview build, then I have no experience with it, but on WP 8.1 it always picked up on my flights without me having to do anything.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Ev posted:

I agree with you that entering flight numbers manually seems like a bit much work to get Cortana to track your flights, but what I don't understand is why it isn't already tracking them for you. When I was using my 1520 regularly whenever I booked a flight and got an email about it, Cortana would ask me if I wanted to track that flight (or flights if there were multiple flights in the email).

Unless you're talking about the W10 preview build, then I have no experience with it, but on WP 8.1 it always picked up on my flights without me having to do anything.

That's the thing, it picks up some, doesn't pick up others. It's the patchiness that makes it unreliable therefore not useable. I'll try sending the confirmation email to myself again, see what happens.

I've used 920, 1520 and now 640 (8.1). I don't recall the 1520 efficacy but I only used it for a couple months before I smashed it.

So yeah, unreliable and opaque makes a bad organiser.

In other news, Tallman and Cityman both look underwhelming. Echoing the love for the 920 form factor. Digging even more the 720 with the more pronounced tapers. This current exercise in single radius fillet on a flat oblong and uninspired camera bump is not interesting to me.

EDIT: I'd hate to derail but here are some example details: flight with Virgin America, outbound: JFK-LAS-SFO; inbound: SFO-LAS-JFK. Cortana only picks out the JFK-LAS leg, ignores the rest. The email comes in cut short with "download this message" click text, the cut version only shows the first leg: could this be the reason? I don't think so bu iunno. For the record Virgin Atlantic SFO-LHR and back comes into Cortana fine. The two confirmations have different formats in the emails, maybe that's it? Again, unreliable and opaque makes a crappy automatic helper system.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 27, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At the other hand, I do like these 950 and 950XL renders. My white 640XL already confuses people (sporting x-line case like this one or a fosmon clear case) because in Spain, if you have a hugephone, 90% of the time is a Samsung Note but they see the Microsoft logo, the tiles and the actual lack of lag they even think it's cool. People liked the design of my 925 aswell so it may be that they look different from the wave of iPhone 6 clones.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Mr Funkface posted:

EDIT: I'd hate to derail but here are some example details: flight with Virgin America, outbound: JFK-LAS-SFO; inbound: SFO-LAS-JFK. Cortana only picks out the JFK-LAS leg, ignores the rest. The email comes in cut short with "download this message" click text, the cut version only shows the first leg: could this be the reason? I don't think so bu iunno. For the record Virgin Atlantic SFO-LHR and back comes into Cortana fine. The two confirmations have different formats in the emails, maybe that's it? Again, unreliable and opaque makes a crappy automatic helper system.

Maybe that is why. It's stupid if that is the reason, but also entirely possible and wouldn't surprise me. I don't remember ever having an email with flight details come in that I had to hit the "download the rest of this message" thing to see the entire list of flights, so maybe that's it?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Hey for budget/midrange phones you can't expect grea-

Oh, these are the flagships :stare:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Family member has a lumia 635 at&t with unlimited data. She uses it as a modem but for some reason it isn't working today. Any suggestions on a possible solution?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I tried to reset my Lumia 925 via the about menu > reset. This has caused the phone to go into an infinite reboot loop. Any ideas how how to fix this? Occasionally while rebooting, there's a frowny face emote, if that helps.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 30, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Factor Mystic posted:

I tried to reset my Lumia 925 via the about menu > reset. This has caused the phone to go into an infinite reboot loop. Any ideas how how to fix this? Occasionally while rebooting, there's a frowny face emote, if that helps.

Go download this tool from Microsoft. It will allow you to reimage the phone. For some reason doing a complete restore on a phone causes the issue you experienced pretty commonly. I had the same thing with a 920 a few years ago. Super annoying.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there any way to get Living Images to a computer and/or viewable in anything but the camera app?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Go download this tool from Microsoft. It will allow you to reimage the phone. For some reason doing a complete restore on a phone causes the issue you experienced pretty commonly. I had the same thing with a 920 a few years ago. Super annoying.

Thanks, but so far this isn't working. What I'm doing:

1- phone is powered off & unplugged
2- start the software
3- plug in phone, which causes it to start booting
4- software doesn't detect the phone, phone is still stuck in reboot loop
5- click the "my phone was not detected" button, and then power + volume down to reboot phone
6- software still doesn't detect the phone

So I am still stuck.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
The timeframe for the phone to enter USB flash mode when booted up is very short. Try this method:

1) Connect one end of the USB cable to your computer, but don't connect the other end to your phone yet.
2) Start the Recovery Tool.
3) Click the "My phone was not detected" button.

You should be on a screen where you're asked to select whether it's a Lumia phone or a HTC phone.
Now, the next part is very particular about timing, ideally step 5 should be done in less than a second. You might have to try more than once.

4) Reboot your phone (hold power button on newer models / hold power button + volume down on older models)
5) As soon as your phone starts rebooting (on most models you can feel it vibrate), plug in the USB cable to the phone, then click on the "Lumia" button in the Recovery Tool.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Oooh I got it almost working. The software detected the device, I had to hit next a few times, it downloaded something, and then after that I got this:

After trying all that with lots of timing variations, I plugged in the phone, rebooted it while the software was searching, waited a minute while it was in limbo, then killed the software and started it again then clicked right into "not detected" => lumia. Then it was identified.

I'm willing to attribute the need for this extra special incantation to the weird state my phone is in.

E: Now getting this...

E: Semi-working again, at least my phone is detected:

E: still not working :(

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 31, 2015

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
That's a tough situation, sounds like it's identified and downloaded the correct firmware package. I've no idea why it isn't installing correctly, never had that happen to me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys; the new wp10 10512 build is pretty solid. Been using it for the last 3 days without a hickup on my 1520.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Hey guys; the new wp10 10512 build is pretty solid. Been using it for the last 3 days without a hickup on my 1520.

Solid builds start coming out and my 1520 goes to poo poo. Awesome timing. I've wiped it and flashed it with the Microsoft tool and nothing fixes it. Just reboots every 30 seconds. The 940/950XL can't get here soon enough. So tired of this Note 4/Android.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Edge is a still a POS on the 1520. And notebook. And PC. I'm actually using Firefox for once.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MobMentality posted:

Edge is a still a POS on the 1520. And notebook. And PC. I'm actually using Firefox for once.

Edge on PC is actually p good, aside from lack of extensions.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, I use Edge for like, 99% of everything.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Yeah I have no issues with Edge on my work computer or my Surface 3.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
It consistently freezes or refuses to close on every device I own.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I still refuse to use Edge on principle until they start allowing extensions, because that is the main reason I was excited for it in the first place

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MobMentality posted:

It consistently freezes or refuses to close on every device I own.

That's weird because it's the other way around with me. Chrome and Firefox just loving crawl these days and Edge has never given me a single issue.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

That's weird because it's the other way around with me. Chrome and Firefox just loving crawl these days and Edge has never given me a single issue.

Same here; Edge is super snappy and I love it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ahahaha, I just had the lock screen go "Resuming..." and get stuck on it, and that shortly after rebooting, so there wasn't even much memory pressure. Oh you, W10M... :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I like Edge, it is indeed "snappy", it has a tendency to freeze or flicker though, and it reminds me of the internet before Adblock and Ghostery and Disconnect which gives me a headache. Wait, we're talking desktop here right?

On topic: what is is in the WP browser (8.1) which blocks Reading Mode? Some sites (I forget which) don't allow. Other sites (looking at you Daily Beast) render like pigs with zero formatting which are rescued by Reading Mode.