Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

spacetoaster posted:

How would he not be allowed to buy one? This is something we go around and around again every time someone "crazy" goes off and shoots someone.

By blanket-banning sales of handguns to everyone, and only allowing people through that restriction after they have formally applied for a permit showing good reason for their intent to purchase and having been thoroughly screened including interviews with peers. Same goes for semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines: They're legal, but tightly controlled so that only gun nerd hobbyists own them, and you can't buy large-capacity magazines.

Sort of like how Canada does it, which works rather well. Some handguns get stolen and end up in criminal hands, most come up from America, and very rarely a legal owner will snap and murder someone with it. The system up here isn't perfect and has some silly arbitrary rules that could be gone over, but we also don't have anywhere near the epidemic of easily-enabled lethal violence that America does.

Lazy pseudo-philosophical navel-gazing is a useless exercise performed by imbeciles and people who are intentionally obfuscating to advance their agenda. Gun control works, even in nations with relatively high rates of firearm ownership.

The remaining question with regard to gun control is not "if", it's "how?"

Also due to import restrictions Americans can't buy Norinco, but up here you can get reliable forged-steel Browning Hi-Powers, 1911s, and other rifles/pistols for like $300 via the magical power of a foreign company that gives no fucks about IP law. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

How would he not be allowed to buy one? This is something we go around and around again every time someone "crazy" goes off and shoots someone.

I would like to be able to just point to people and have their right to have a gun, vote, speak about politics, etc revoked.

A clinical diagnosis by a psychologist will prevent you from being able to buy a gun. A co-worker saying you have "anger issues" or are "crazy" won't cut it, nor should it.

All they do is bitch about building a wall and securing the boarder, and when it's finally done they bitch about a wall being built and the boarders being secure. The most ungrateful motherfuckers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wheeee posted:

Also due to import restrictions Americans can't buy Norinco, but up here you can get reliable forged-steel Browning Hi-Powers, 1911s, and other rifles/pistols for like $300 via the magical power of a foreign company that gives no fucks about IP law. :smugdog:

Yeah, but you have to live in canada.

MizPiz posted:

All they do is bitch about building a wall and securing the boarder, and when it's finally done they bitch about a wall being built and the boarders being secure. The most ungrateful motherfuckers.

Agreed. Civil rights are so outdated.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
americanjournalism.jpg (slightly :nws:)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Jesus loving Christ. :catstare:

For people who don't want to see freeze-frames of somebody getting shot, it's the Daily News being classy as ever.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be a pedantic rear end. This is indeed shocking but I remember looking at Mexican and other Latin American newspapers and seeing much worse on a regular basis, like bloody chunks from someone who got hit by a train ... and that was just for a "man hit by train" story on some back page. Like I said I'm a pedantic rear end.

Pile o' corpses on a front page example :nws: from Venezuela: http://saladeredaccion.com/revista/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Imagen-17.png

But this whole thing has got me feeling we're more and more living in a hallucinogenic and psychedelic cyberpunk society.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Crosspost from the Skinny D documentary thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zjj1PmJcRM

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

spacetoaster posted:

I would like to be able to just point to people and have their right to have a gun, vote, speak about politics, etc revoked.

A clinical diagnosis by a psychologist will prevent you from being able to buy a gun. A co-worker saying you have "anger issues" or are "crazy" won't cut it, nor should it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

They found an abandoned truck with dozens of corpses in it in Austria, most likely refugees.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I live next to a national forest and have worked for the USFS, they're an important part of my community, and my friend's husband died in these fires last Thursday just to protect some homes. It's incredibly sad.

Hey pics thread, I know the world is really painful and ugly, but don't give up trying to make it better, k?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

Agreed. Civil rights are so outdated.

How can you be that dumb?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWyV00YLf8

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Tiananmen typically evokes Tank Man, but this always is the photo that first comes to my mind.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MizPiz posted:

I supported Obama?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Devrim Gündüz posted:

“My friend who was beside me before the explosion was hurled away, [and] was lying down 3-4 meters away. I could not feel my feet…. I did not know what to do…. I panicked, [but] I noticed something at that moment. [My friend] was only smiling…. smiling and hope and light was bursting out of his eyes…. [In the time since] the explosion, I have had numerous operations. My femur is broken in five places, I can’t walk, there is damage in my ankle, it gives me trouble, I lost one of my kidneys and spleen, [and] most importantly I lost my close comrades, but I have not lost one thing…I have not lost hope…. That bomb only had a physical impact, it has not affected our smiles, our resistance, or our dedication to our struggle.”

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

I supported Obama?

So than you do realize that neither what I said and what the picture was showing didn't actually happened. So could I have possibly made a joke about the picture that makes fun of the people that would believe what the it represents?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Honj Steak posted:

They found an abandoned truck with dozens of corpses in it in Austria, most likely refugees.

It's up to more than 70 dead now they found stashed in there. They probably already died at least 2-3 days ago; a gardener was mowing the grass next to the Autobahn when he noticed liquid dropping down from the truck :smithicide:

Hopefully they'll at least get the people immediately responsible for this - several people smugglers have been arrested yesterday, though as of yet it's unkown whether this was in connection to this case.

In lighter news, notice that number?

It turns out that of the 5.5 million profiles belonging to women, only about 9,700 showed signs of activity with an additional 12,108 profiles marked as <paid_delete> and the rest either being fake or becoming inactive within the first couple of hours after registration - meaning that for every actual woman with an active profile on there came about 2090 men looking for a date (going by the number of male profiles that at some point checked their inbox). Or, in other words: Ashley Madison was/is a scam of epic proportions, holy poo poo.

e: Austrian police just held a press conference. It's 71 dead altogether: 59 men, eight women, four children, possibly Syrians. Three suspects have been arrested in Hungary and are said to be "highly likely" to have been the drivers of the truck, though they probably only constitute the lowest ranks of whatever smuggling outfit they were working for.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 28, 2015

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Google decided to send their streetview car to the tomatina festival in Bunol. Let's see how that turned out:

Spanish tomatoes: 1
Google: 0

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MizPiz posted:

So than you do realize that neither what I said and what the picture was showing didn't actually happened. So could I have possibly made a joke about the picture that makes fun of the people that would believe what the it represents?

That makes no sense.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Google decided to send their streetview car to the tomatina festival in Bunol. Let's see how that turned out:

Thought this car was dolled up for a zombie walk.

brains.
/
:zombie:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Members of the influential Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) were seen flocking to the historic EDSA Shrine in Quezon City, Friday afternoon, August 28, carrying banners calling for the separation of church and state.

Iglesia members also continued to hold a vigil in front of the Department of Justice (DOJ) in Manila.

A written instruction from the INC leadership obtained by Rappler indicated that the Manila crowd was being asked to move to EDSA and stay there until Monday, August 31.

Police and military intelligence received the same information.

Concerned about the developments, Malacańang called for a meeting with Cabinet secretaries and police officials Friday afternoon. "It's about the INC," said a Palace source.

The Iglesia members are protesting government's intervention in what they believe should be internal matters, singling out Justice Secretary Leila de Lima.

The organization is facing its worst crisis since it was created 101 years ago, as members have accused INC leaders of misusing church funds and harassing members. (READ: INC leaders using planes worth billions of pesos)

The DOJ is investigating an illegal detention complaint against church leaders filed by an expelled INC member.

The basis of the probe was a complaint filed by expelled INC minister Isaias Samson Jr, who accused the INC leadership of putting his family under house arrest.

Based on the written instruction, the Iglesia members were also exhorted to protest the Mamasapano caper, the Aquino administration's Disbursement Acceleration Program, and the use of the PCOS machine for the 2016 elections.

But they were ordered never to call for the fall of the Aquino government. "Walang sisigaw na ibagsak ang gobyerno (No one will call for the fall of the government)," it reads.

EDSA was the site of the 1986 and 2001 People Power revolutions that toppled two Philippine presidents – Ferdinand Marcos in 1986 and Joseph Estrada in 2001.

It is also the site of the botched EDSA 3 uprising in April 2001 that attempted to reinstall Estrada as president. The INC formed the bulk of that uprising.

The same written instruction details how INC members from Metro Manila were instructed to go to the DOJ office beginning Thursday night. They were joined by members from Laguna. They were asked to move to EDSA Shrine 5 am on Saturday, August 29.

At least 20,000 members from Bulacan are also expected to join the EDSA rally on Monday, based on the INC instruction.

The instruction also indicated that the placards and all protest materials will be provided by INC. "Mayroong mga placard na gagamitin, oorder and bawat lokal kay ____ with P-10 ito c/o distrito." INC insiders say P-10 is a code that means the activity is church funded.

The members were also instructed to bring umbrellas, raincoats, food, water, flashlights, extra clothes and power banks for their mobile phones.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

You know that's kind of the point, right? I mean the car didn't get wrecked.

I guess nobody knows how it actually started but this account brings it back to D&D:

quote:

Like many Spanish festivals, the celebration was originally a religious one, to honor Bunol's patron saint, San Luis Bertran. One year -- either 1944 or 1945 -- there was a tussle during a procession and some boys tossed tomatoes. A few say it was prompted by village rivalries. Some say it was a joke. But others claim it stemmed from unhappiness with Francisco Franco's reign following Spain's civil war.

"This village was against Franco," says Miguel Sierra Galaraza, an amateur historian in Bunol. "Throwing tomatoes at the priest and mayor was a way to protest against authority." Though banned several times in the 1950s, the tradition survived, eventually becoming the centerpiece of the town's two-week celebration.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 28, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

It's Chie god drat make the right choice, Trump.

StarGeezer
Oct 28, 2007

...timeless, formless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEScONfKqFk

"Niggerization," Revolution, Unity, Honesty, Leadership, Poverty

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If he goes full on, "I stalked and murdered him because I wanted to," is he protected by double jeopardy?

American flag goes up over Cuba a couple weeks ago:

• Locked thread