Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Tremek posted:

Legit suggestion for someone moving would be a GMT400 or GMT800 Tahoe/Suburban/etc. Cheap, large, plentiful, and relatively reliable.
It's what I did. At this point I'm literally incapable of not having a Suburban. I doubt I'll ever find it inadequate for anything I might want of it, short of getting wholesale landscaping materials dumped out of a front-loader. But the '94 1500 I used to have had 42 gallon tank with $4/gal gas, so it was routine that I'd drop $125 on a tank. At least I didn't have the fo-fitty-fo. At this point with prices the way they are, plus a little bit smaller tank on the one I have now but the same mileage, it's about half that. If you're not used to trucks being trucks ya best stay away from 2500's unless you have a demonstrable need to tow more than the 1500 is capable of - the 1500 is more efficient, especially if it's not a 4x4, and the suspension is way more comfortable, with the same interior space. Just don't get a Tahoe, the interior is notably smaller and you're still driving a half-ton truck.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Don't forget the 2000 V70Rs with the 5-speed shardbox.

Mine has 200K on the original transmission and it still shifts great :c00lbert:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
My 2006 V70R just rolled 100k miles coming back from Isle Royal this week....my baby is past the adolescent stage... Just had all the front suspension replaced and a timing belt/water pump change because I don't have records on when it was last done from the PO.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
That Volvo 850 sold :(

He BMW 3 series is looking like our best bet, unless anyone has good things to say about 2001-05 VW Passats? Was the much Audi/VW crossover in those years that'd make them a bad buy?

Edit: This seems like a great price for a 2004 Passat with under 200K Km. V6, leather, all of that's for 3999. Can't seem to find many complaints over it online. Thoughts?

Cthulhuite fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 20, 2015

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
How about some more Volvos?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/annapolis-valley/1991-volvo-740-wagon/1094107044?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/annapolis-valley/2005-volvo-v70-nice-car-needs-nothing/1095441171?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/bedford/2002-volvo-xc70-wagon/1095709451?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I would stay far, far away from that VW - I'm getting all sorts of skeezy used car dealer vibes coming from the ad.

Also, holy crap, I knew the maritimes didn't like to use CL, but I didn't realize it was that heavily in favour of kijiji. If you felt like a road trip to pick up something a bit ... stranger:
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5171461274.html
Something large and in charge?
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5127054880.html

Unrelatedly, does anyone know if an off the shelf tune for a Legacy GT would work for my Outback XT? I found my tactrix cable and am trying really hard to think of why I shouldn't at least rummage around in the car's brains. I figure even if I don't manage to scare up a few more horses or MPGs I'll be able to dial down the part-throttle jerkiness at slow speed.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Cthulhuite posted:

He BMW 3 series is looking like our best bet, unless anyone has good things to say about 2001-05 VW Passats? Was the much Audi/VW crossover in those years that'd make them a bad buy?

Edit: This seems like a great price for a 2004 Passat with under 200K Km. V6, leather, all of that's for 3999. Can't seem to find many complaints over it online. Thoughts?

I think the general rule for VAG cars is that 2006+ is when they started to clean up their reliability, and even then it varies greatly model to model.

The BMW is also a finicky German car but it's one with a bulletproof engine that just shrugs off miles and some very well documented and fairly easy to address problems. God drat cooling system, bad window regulators and worn suspension parts are the triforce of the E46 experience and all are easy to address and diagnose.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
The Squareback is cute as poo poo :3:

It's going to cost me about $550 to replace the cooling system stuff on the BMW - I'll get the suspension checked and as long as it's not hosed and the dealer gets some new tires/brakes/AC in it I guess we'll go with that!

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Oxphocker posted:

I don't have records on when it was last done from the PO.
It probably never was, factory interval is something like 120k. Everyone does their's before that though. Happy Hundred!

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

netwerk23 posted:

It probably never was, factory interval is something like 120k. Everyone does their's before that though. Happy Hundred!

Yeah I dunno...I know on the 98's the replacement interval was 70k for the belt so I figure it's probably the same since it's the same engine. So either it was done 25k late or really really early. Either way, I bought a really nice Kevlar belt, OEM water pump, and a brand new coolant flush so it should be good for a long time. The mechanic showed me the old belt and he said it was still in good condition so it might have been replaced at one point but it's better knowing rather than taking a chance.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I've put money down on a used 325i wagon :ohdear:

Assuming the dealer gets the AC fixed and the weird chuffchuffchuffchuff noise from the right rear wheel, I'll be paying for it.

I'm a BMW person now :gonk:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

Yeah I dunno...I know on the 98's the replacement interval was 70k for the belt so I figure it's probably the same since it's the same engine. So either it was done 25k late or really really early. Either way, I bought a really nice Kevlar belt, OEM water pump, and a brand new coolant flush so it should be good for a long time. The mechanic showed me the old belt and he said it was still in good condition so it might have been replaced at one point but it's better knowing rather than taking a chance.

The interval on the '99+ (five-cylinder) Volvos is 10 years/105K. I know they changed the tensioner from a hydraulic one to a mechanical one around that time but I'm not sure what else contributes to the longer interval. Nothing wrong with being conservative about it, in any case.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cthulhuite posted:

That Volvo 850 sold :(

Its a B5.5 passt which means suspension issues, automatic transmission issues, and a 2.8l 30v motor which is stout if you ignore the oil leaking from everything.
Look at 1996-2001 audi a4s, it is the same car.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhuite posted:

I've put money down on a used 325i wagon :ohdear:

Assuming the dealer gets the AC fixed and the weird chuffchuffchuffchuff noise from the right rear wheel, I'll be paying for it.

I'm a BMW person now :gonk:

BMWs are safe to drive now, Audi is now the official car of assholes

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

BMWs are safe to drive now, Audi is now the official car of assholes

:coolfish:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

zundfolge posted:

Mine has 200K on the original transmission and it still shifts great :c00lbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhAAF-Xb-0U

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

poo poo, after reading that Mazda 6 wagons are having issues now, E46 wagons are back on the short list. At least the issues are known and easy to deal with.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
This is the reason why I recommend a BMW to every customer at work. Yes they have problems but there known and not that hard to fix.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
When I was test driving the BMW I had this strange urge to cut up every person on the road and park horizontally across three spaces in the parking lot, is this normal? :smuggo:

I should be picking it up early next week, then I can get started ripping out the entire cooling system and replacing it. The suspension looked okay, but the chuffchuff could have been the rear shock - assuming it is and the dealer replaces it, should I replace the other one as well? Anything else I need to be aware of before I drive this thing 6000km in a week?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Crossposted from the BMW thread, my shiny E91

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leica posted:

poo poo, after reading that Mazda 6 wagons are having issues now, E46 wagons are back on the short list. At least the issues are known and easy to deal with.

Huh? The mazda6 wagon is just a fusion wagon and those are pretty solid driverrain wise.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Huh? The mazda6 wagon is just a fusion wagon and those are pretty solid driverrain wise.

A couple people were complaining about them a page or two back, but I think it's isolated stuff because I've never heard any bad things about them until now. Going to be looking at a fully loaded '06 with 128k for $3500, if everything goes well it will be in my driveway.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The only thing I've heard of them is the cabins can develop hard to fix water leaks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

organburner posted:

Now while this thing is being fixed I am driving on of these:

it's been driven 340k km's with pretty minimal service, I think the clutch gave up once. It's with the 1.6 8v engine, lazy as all gently caress but goddamn it is still going strong. Just not fast.
It doesn't have cruise control like my Mitsu though, so driving 220 km a day is leaving me with hosed knees, so I can't do anything to my Mitsu. Dad said he will take care of it at some point though!

Opel seems to get a lot of hate for some reason, but we've had like 9-10 astras and rarely have we had any issues with them, we just keep flipping them.
That said there is one on the yard with a hosed engine at the moment, iirc it was the 1.8l engine.

I have the big brother of the Opel, the Omega B Caravan :smug:

Now my parents are using it while I DD my Miata (I can do fine with 1/100th of luggage space, apparently), but I gotta go take some pics of it. It's approaching 200k km and never had any serious issues - small coolant leak and a hosed alternator. The exhaust is rusted through and makes an awesome racket, and there's a small oil leak somewhere, but who cares about either of those. It's not fast with the 2.4, but it is big and smooth [like my cock], which I like.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/02/hammer-of-gods-the-hms-h63-rs700/

:getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nice hot air intakes.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I just reluctantly sold my Abarth 500. I've just got a new job which is well within cycling distance, and I hardly use it any more. I couldn't justify a car like that sitting there for weeks at a time undriven and unloved, so he has gone onwards to someone who hopefully will.

So, I was after something cheap and practical for the rare times I still need a car. I had a few preferences - ideally AWD or RWD, something hopefully fairly reliable, and a decent bit of space to chuck the bike and all my skating kit in the back if necessary. And since I've always had a bit of a semi for estate cars... this is what I found.

It's in lovely condition. Plenty of toys, cruise control, climate control, auto box with tiptronic or whatever the equivalent Merc term is, and almost a year's MOT. £1280. Couldn't complain at that really.

It's a bit rusty in places. but to be honest I'm looking forward to having a bit of a beater again, I was so paranoid of leaving the Abarth parked anywhere long-term that I couldn't see it, or out on the street, so having something a bit less attention-grabbing that I'm not going to care if someone bumps their door into it is pretty much ideal.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

VolumeOverTalent posted:

tiptronic or whatever the equivalent Merc term is

I don't know a ton about cars so I've always wondered about this, why do all the different brands make a point of saying oh our auto transmission has tiptronic/steptronic/distronic/whatever? Does that mean anything at all? Don't half the cars that you'd want to buy that have autos just use the same ZF transmission anyway?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's annoying as all get out. They want to advertise it as a feature. Unless it's got a dual clutch, I don't want to loving hear about it!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't know a ton about cars so I've always wondered about this, why do all the different brands make a point of saying oh our auto transmission has tiptronic/steptronic/distronic/whatever? Does that mean anything at all? Don't half the cars that you'd want to buy that have autos just use the same ZF transmission anyway?
They want people to think that it's a sporty feature that's just like having a manual transmission if you want it because manual transmissions are "sporty." Sure it gives you at least a little more control, but some of them shift automatically at redline, act slowly, or once the transmission shifts it takes a while to engage the next gear, all of which reduce your actual control. Good ones (i.e. literal supercar-grade dual clutch boxes) shift quickly and immediately engage the next gear but do so smoothly, and let you bounce off the rev limiter all day long because you haven't told it to upshift yet. If you ask me the only realistic way I'm likely to use a manual-shift feature in an old-school torque-converter box is if I want to downshift down a hill for engine braking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

leica posted:

A couple people were complaining about them a page or two back, but I think it's isolated stuff because I've never heard any bad things about them until now. Going to be looking at a fully loaded '06 with 128k for $3500, if everything goes well it will be in my driveway.

I think they were complaining about the speed6, which has a completely different drivetrain.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Sup

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 26, 2015

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Friar Zucchini posted:

They want people to think that it's a sporty feature that's just like having a manual transmission if you want it because manual transmissions are "sporty." Sure it gives you at least a little more control, but some of them shift automatically at redline, act slowly, or once the transmission shifts it takes a while to engage the next gear, all of which reduce your actual control. Good ones (i.e. literal supercar-grade dual clutch boxes) shift quickly and immediately engage the next gear but do so smoothly, and let you bounce off the rev limiter all day long because you haven't told it to upshift yet. If you ask me the only realistic way I'm likely to use a manual-shift feature in an old-school torque-converter box is if I want to downshift down a hill for engine braking.

Oh ok so when they say WITH TIPTRONIC or whatever, what they are talking about is the pseudo manual gear select part of it? I never knew what it was referring to specifically

My car actually has paddles for that where it's still automatic but lets you shift, but like you said it's not really that great or fast, I don't know why it has it that way. Just to look sportier I guess. Although I think if you put it in dynamic mode or whatever it will let you redline.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh ok so when they say WITH TIPTRONIC or whatever, what they are talking about is the pseudo manual gear select part of it? I never knew what it was referring to specifically

My car actually has paddles for that where it's still automatic but lets you shift, but like you said it's not really that great or fast, I don't know why it has it that way. Just to look sportier I guess. Although I think if you put it in dynamic mode or whatever it will let you redline.
Yes.

Older ones, or putatively "cheaper" modern ones, will still have a gate on the gearshift for at the very least first or first and second, or on trucks maybe third too (on a 4 speed slushbox) but that's not for a sporty accelerating thing, it's so you can pick a lower gear when you need more torque to just keep (or get) the car moving on a steep uphill in a car that's barely out of the malaise era. Or for engine braking downhill. But that's just using the normal gear lever, normally laid out as P-R-N-D-2-1, only recently do they use flappy paddles.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Slowly getting my new sportwagen tdi styled out.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -