Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Yup.

Man, and I remember when Shamblers were basically Cyberdemon-level threats for me. Once somebody clued me in to melee-baiting them, that threat level dropped a fair bit, to the point that I think Viles might be slightly more annoying (if only just).

They're still pretty much the most dangerous thing Quake has, mind, but you can't melee-bait a Cyberdemon (no melee attack to bait!), so there's not really any comparison.

Shamblers have never been Cyberdemon-level threats, a Cyberdemon can kill you instantly in many circumstances while a Shambler's lightning attack hurts, but not that much. They're much more comparable to Archviles, but Archviles don't have the weaknesses Shamblers have, there's no equivalent to the Super Nailgun to shut them down relatively painlessly (the Shambler might get one shot off, but you can tank a Shambler bolt with no worries if you have yellow armor or access to health, standing there and trying to go toe to toe with an Archvile is not under any circumstances worth taking >80 damage from a single blast, they are even more mobile, and they resurrect monsters. I'd much rather fight two Shamblers than two Archviles in the same space. Even that three Shambler encounter would have been plenty manageable with more space to kite them with, a bit more cover, and some ammo because I was likely to run out of shells fighting them even if I did survive their attacks, and then I'd be SOL. I once did fairly handily beat three Shamblers in The Brothers Djinn from Map Jam 2. If they had been Archviles they would have resurrected half the map and I would have been hosed.

In many cases Vores are considerably worse than Shamblers because even the slightest hesitation or clumsy movement when dodging a Vore ball will make it swerve around the cover you were relying on to protect you and hit you anyway.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Yup.

Man, and I remember when Shamblers were basically Cyberdemon-level threats for me. Once somebody clued me in to melee-baiting them, that threat level dropped a fair bit, to the point that I think Viles might be slightly more annoying (if only just).

They're still pretty much the most dangerous thing Quake has, mind, but you can't melee-bait a Cyberdemon (no melee attack to bait!), so there's not really any comparison.

It's clear iD wanted Shamblers to be the Cyberdemon of Quake 1, but they're much, much easier to deal with to the point where the traditional, boss-style encounters with them in the original maps are pathetically easy instead of the challenge they're supposed to be.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well maybe some of them did, but Sandy Petersen used them much more liberally, to the point where if you play Palace of Hate on hard and don't plan ahead you'll be facing four of the fuckers gunning for you in a single area.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Shamblers are more analogous to barons or maybe arachnotrons or mancubi. Not cyberdemons. Archviles represent a huge immediate threat that gets worse over time, so I think it's more fair to compare them to votes, particularly around spaces with multiple enemy types or even multiple vores.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I would disagree with that, a Baron is barely even a threat unless the area is specifically built around them. A single Mancubus or Arachnotron is closer in threat level to a Death Knight. A Shambler represents a much more immediate threat (hitscan attack) and a significant drain on your resources due to Quake's low ammo caps. Shamblers are not Archvile bad, but they're bad.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm feeling the urge to lay some :qqsay: on how Black Mesa screwed up in balancing their little slice of the scource engine. Anyone mind/call dibs/sick of :qqsay:

Half life was my first serious FPS by the by, I went through it with the content lock on and I still remember all the stumbling blocks and screw-ups that I encountered along the way. It is always unpleasant to see hacks butcher something dear to your youth.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/636756830279102464?s=09

:wtc:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

doom_txt is a community treasure.

While this comment is pretty idiotic, I do think that the demonic/occult/Lovecraftian imagery of Doom and Quake actually sanitize the violence and makes it less offensive, unless you're a fundie who thinks playing Doom will invite literal demons into your brain to possess you. Barons of Hell don't have families, there is no pervasive societal persecution of Shamblers, nor is there a war going on by real space marines against Archvilistan. It's not propaganda for the American military, it's not reflective of any societal animus against any group, it's a nebulously defined protagonist fighting inhuman avatars of pure evil disconnected from any real places, events, or issues. Doom and Quake, Quake even more than Doom, take great care to say nothing about anything. Quake especially doesn't even have guns in the sense that Call of Duty has guns. It has ideas of guns, archetypes of guns, but abstracted to the point of being completely, deliberately detached from reality.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 27, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I notice the map that's from has about 4 stars on idgames, like every map in the history of idgames.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm feeling the urge to lay some :qqsay: on how Black Mesa screwed up in balancing their little slice of the scource engine. Anyone mind/call dibs/sick of :qqsay:

Half life was my first serious FPS by the by, I went through it with the content lock on and I still remember all the stumbling blocks and screw-ups that I encountered along the way. It is always unpleasant to see hacks butcher something dear to your youth.
Go for it I say. I thought it started well, but didn't dig the feel of the combat and got bored of it in the middle. I think I recall enemies shooting me from way further away than I would have liked. I did try it right when it was first released for free though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 27, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Heavy Metal posted:

I notice the map that's from has about 4 stars on idgames, like every map in the history of idgames.
Yeah no kidding. I'm thinking about how to redesign the whole thing and one of the big questions I have is how to change the rating system to not be a waste of time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Replace the star voting system with yeah/unyeah.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

Shamblers are more analogous to barons or maybe arachnotrons or mancubi. Not cyberdemons. Archviles represent a huge immediate threat that gets worse over time, so I think it's more fair to compare them to votes, particularly around spaces with multiple enemy types or even multiple vores.

I always consdier Vores the first enemy to kill in a room because of how dangerous their bombs. They do serious damage for Quake 1 and can gently caress you up if you forget about them.

Thankfully, their bombs make them great bait to start infighting with. Just lead a bomb to your local Shambler, Death Knight, or Fiend and watch as the Vore gets its poo poo kicked in.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Woolie Wool posted:

* The Terra episode proved unbelievably, impossibly difficult starting from level 3 (3 Shamblers in a tiny L-shaped arena when I'm out of nails? Sounds fun for someone who isn't me!)
Sounds like you died fast there!
The shamblers spawn in to scare you, then after 3 seconds they're telefragged away.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If you think Terra is impossible, try Contract Revoked. On Hard. :q:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but MiniQL is a pretty cool launcher for Q1. I'd been using Simple Quake Launcher before but it never remembering my previous settings was really annoying - this one seems to do the job perfectly.

Only issue now is that Quakespasm won't launch mods that are more than one directory deep from the .exe, but I guess there's no handy workaround for that one :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Woolie Wool posted:

doom_txt is a community treasure.

While this comment is pretty idiotic, I do think that the demonic/occult/Lovecraftian imagery of Doom and Quake actually sanitize the violence and makes it less offensive, unless you're a fundie who thinks playing Doom will invite literal demons into your brain to possess you. Barons of Hell don't have families, there is no pervasive societal persecution of Shamblers, nor is there a war going on by real space marines against Archvilistan. It's not propaganda for the American military, it's not reflective of any societal animus against any group, it's a nebulously defined protagonist fighting inhuman avatars of pure evil disconnected from any real places, events, or issues. Doom and Quake, Quake even more than Doom, take great care to say nothing about anything. Quake especially doesn't even have guns in the sense that Call of Duty has guns. It has ideas of guns, archetypes of guns, but abstracted to the point of being completely, deliberately detached from reality.

I agree completely; Doom COULD be considered a Christian game.

You are literally fighting Hell. You are kicking rear end for the lord :black101:

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
That launcher is pretty slick. It even has a shortcut button to open Quake Injector.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree completely; Doom COULD be considered a Christian game.

You are literally fighting Hell. You are kicking rear end for the lord :black101:

That was Sandy Peterson's opinion on it - as a Mormon he thought it was ok to enjoy Doom as you're literally fighting Demons and sending them back to Hell.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Sucks about the music being removed.

I'm trying to rectify that by taking FLAC rips of the soundtracks, including the unofficial expansions. However, I ran into the issue of the music being "pre-emphasized." Thought I fixed it with foobar2000 and foo_dsp_effect, but there's still some weird clicking at the start of songs in the extracts. Tested by converting to WAV for Quakespasm and Darkplaces.

Please Quakexperts, lend us your patching power.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

I'm trying to rectify that by taking FLAC rips of the soundtracks, including the unofficial expansions. However, I ran into the issue of the music being "pre-emphasized." Thought I fixed it with foobar2000 and foo_dsp_effect, but there's still some weird clicking at the start of songs in the extracts. Tested by converting to WAV for Quakespasm and Darkplaces.

I downloaded the game before they took the oggs out, I'll throw them up on mediafire when I get a chance at work today.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Ok, so black mesa was bound to happen sooner or later one way or the other, A full remake of the original Half life in a mordern engine? Sounds like a god send right?

Well...

Black mesa is a very impressive mod when it comes to voice acting and visuals, but much like a termite infested house with a fresh coat of paint slapped on it, that means nothing unless the underlying frame work is sound.

I figured I'd start out the Hgrunts since Black Mesa loves throwing marines at you.

Here are the original marines and the HD marines.

I bet every single one of you who has played HL knows what each of those marines does don't you? You know which one presents the most immediate threat (hint: its the rear end in a top hat with the grenade launcher) you know which one is the wild card (the Sergent), you know which one is most dangerous at close range, and you know which comes last in the target priority.

The Black Mesa Hgrunts are based on some kind of RNG system for appearance. This means you have no clue which marine has what weapon and which marine should be your first target. Also minor quibble, but the Black mesa grunts look like they just stepped out of a Call of Duty game and that bugs me.

Fun fact: The black mesa Hgrunts seem to have exactly the same damage and health on medium that they did in the orginal black mesa. Fun fact the second, there seems to be a third again as many hgrunts per encounter thanks to the scource engine and modern home computing power. Fun fact the third: Hgrunts enjoy a vastly improved AI and the ability to fire on the move thanks to the scource engine.

So basically there was actually no balancing done that took into account the new abilities of the grunts and their larger numbers. :ughh: Hope you like hailmary bullrushes with the shotgun lads!

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I remember when BMS launched having to go in and edit the marine's AI to make the game tolerable. If I remember right, they went from unalerted we-have-no-idea-Freeman-is-here to accurately shooting you in the face in literally 0.1 seconds.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

czg posted:

Sounds like you died fast there!
The shamblers spawn in to scare you, then after 3 seconds they're telefragged away.

Actually I hit esc instantly, seized by utter panic and terror, weighed my options, decided I was hopelessly hosed, and quit. Sorry, guess I'll have to try it again! :shobon:

E: Jesus Christ it was still pretty drat scary even when I knew what would actually happen. And then I had to run back through the level scrounging up every bit of ammo I could find when two more Shamblers were waiting at the end, this time for real.

How many are there in the fake encounter? 5? 7?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 27, 2015

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Six I think.

E: Having to fight six shamblers just out of nowhere would totally be a dick move unless you had pent or quad, yeah.

czg fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 27, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Many of the other fights in that map were quite interesting in how much they used infighting. Quake doesn't usually go for Doom-style "let's get all the monsters killing each other" fights that often, but starting infighting on "Shotgun Experiment 1" was intuitive and highly effective to thin out groups of monsters that would be daunting to take on all at once.

Also being able to play a modern map set that's software friendly is nice.

E: I would play an episode that combined ikblue, ikwhite, and all the various extensions and additions people have added to those themes over the years. I would play it so hard.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 27, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

A point I forgot to put in, we're starting to see enemy numbers creep up in mordern games but enemy health remains at early 3d levels. :ughh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
As :goonsay: as it might sound I don't think we've had an FPS with a better enemy bestiary than Doom. Even mods that completely/partially redo the roster are better just for using Doom as a base, usually.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Commander Keenan posted:

All the way back when the game first came out I remember people arguing about whether the soundtrack really had pre-emphasis or the flag being set was a mastering error, because by 1996 basically nothing was using pre-emphasis anymore. I think that the TOC flags also varied between pressings, adding to the confusion.

I personally think that the sountrack sounds a lot better without any de-emphasis applied, but I've never seen a definitive answer on what is right. Somebody should e-mail Trent Reznor and ask him what it's supposed to sound like.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My favorite thing about watching shamblers fight other monsters is that it almost always results in their opponents exploding into chunky meat.

Unrelated: this is a bit petty, but is there a way to get Quakespasm to play the e1m3 demo on startup?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

There's mirrors for all the Quake + Expansion soundtracks here. Just unzip, drop into your id1/hipnotic/rogue folders and go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

All the way back when the game first came out I remember people arguing about whether the soundtrack really had pre-emphasis or the flag being set was a mastering error, because by 1996 basically nothing was using pre-emphasis anymore. I think that the TOC flags also varied between pressings, adding to the confusion.

I personally think that the sountrack sounds a lot better without any de-emphasis applied, but I've never seen a definitive answer on what is right. Somebody should e-mail Trent Reznor and ask him what it's supposed to sound like.

I agree that it sounds best without de-emphasis, and if you look at the spectrum of the tracks ripped straight from the CD, there is no skew towards the higher frequencies as you see with pre-emphasized releases. It sounds muffled if you try to de-emphasize it.

Basically only a small number of releases during the 80s and early 90s actually had pre-emphasis, and they were mostly Japanese editions for some reason.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Geight posted:

As :goonsay: as it might sound I don't think we've had an FPS with a better enemy bestiary than Doom. Even mods that completely/partially redo the roster are better just for using Doom as a base, usually.
I think a mixture of Doom's and Quake's would probably be ideal. Like, Doom hits most of the important bases, but at the same time there are moments when designing maps that I really wish I could have a Fiend jumping around at you, or a flying enemy weaker than a Cacodemon but more of a threat from a distance than a Lost Soul, like a Scrag.

Maybe those scorpion things from Powerslave, as well, when you want weak pistol fodder, but don't feel like having it shoot back at you, instead having it rather quickly hop up toward you and start nipping at your ankles. (Then again, Quake's Rottweilers probably count here?)

Although the situations where Doom and Quake's bestiary start to overlap are a bit questionable. For instance, I could go either way on whether the Revenant or Vore are more of a threat (generally speaking Revenants are bigger annoyances, since they're faster, hit harder and modders love throwing in about fifty of them every time you turn a corner because Plutonia, but the Vore's missile's homing algorithm is more difficult to shake off). I think I'd take Doom's Possessed Humans/Sargeants/Commandos over Grunts and Enforcers, as I like the wider variety in attack choices that provides, and how you can fairly easily tell them apart just from silhouette (unlike Quoth's attempt at doing the same, where you have to rely solely on shirt color).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're thinking about making Doom maps, Linguica just released a detailed, beginner-friendly tutorial for making vanilla-style maps.

Also in the new Tutorials subforum at Doomworld: A lengthy essay on monster placement that's worth a read.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I've only ever played with doom mapping and modding long enough to make a penis-shaped room with a version of the imp with the specter effect on it. I might have to read those.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Keiya posted:

I've only ever played with doom mapping and modding long enough to make a penis-shaped room with a version of the imp with the specter effect on it. I might have to read those.

The only thing I ever did was construct a max height octagonal room loaded with thousands upon thousands of lost souls. My computer did not appreciate that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Keiya posted:

Sounds like you already reached the pinnacle though :dong:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Linguica posted:

Yeah no kidding. I'm thinking about how to redesign the whole thing and one of the big questions I have is how to change the rating system to not be a waste of time.

Something like Half life's RSTL site seems to work pretty well. :shrug:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Klaus88 posted:

Black Mesa
Wait, the different marine skins were actually supposed to act differently somehow? I thought it was just "Shotgun guy" and "MP5 guy", with some visual variation given to the latter since they were more common. Also out of curiosity, are you playing the paid version of Black Mesa? I played the free version when it first came out and the enemy design was much worse than the original across the board, but supposedly they made a lot of improvements in that regard with the paid version, which I have yet to try.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually didn't pay any attention to visual differences between the marines when I played the game. They all blurred together into one generic "marine" enemy, in my mind.

Well, except the assassins, given they looked and behaved wildly differently from the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Lork posted:

Wait, the different marine skins were actually supposed to act differently somehow? I thought it was just "Shotgun guy" and "MP5 guy", with some visual variation given to the latter since they were more common. Also out of curiosity, are you playing the paid version of Black Mesa? I played the free version when it first came out and the enemy design was much worse than the original across the board, but supposedly they made a lot of improvements in that regard with the paid version, which I have yet to try.

I'm pretty sure they all run on the same code in the original half life, with the beret dudes being the leaders. The cigar comping mothers are the ones with Grenades for their 203s which is actually important information to convey to the player since those things take off 50 health per shot.

In Black Mesa it is not readily apparent which marine fills which role, which is the point I was trying to make. Also the paid version doesn't really change all that much.