Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tad Strange felt more like a Family Guy style cutaway gag more than anything.

Except it was a gag that ended in reasonable amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Pick posted:

Wendy, it's presumed.

Why's that? Is it because she's cool?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She's associated with ice a couple times, in The Inconveniencing and Time Traveler's Pig at least.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was kinda hoping that when the kids said they needed a "blank slate we can mold to our whims", they were gonna use Tad Strange as their candidate.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ninja alamode posted:

Looks like the same as before, it's available now on amazon, so I assume they'll continue to have it up the next morning.

I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't expect the mind control at all. They gave that away in the title, but I was just expecting a campaign with regular hijinks. Also, seeing Bill's circle at the end reminded me, I think it had been assumed the glasses represented Stanford, but it's pretty safe to say that the six-fingered hand is Stanford now that we know he's the author. Are there any better theories whom the glasses represent now?

the glasses look like pre-brainwash mcgucket's

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Acne Rain posted:

Yes this bothered me the whole episode too, his life skill is manipulation.
just seemed lazy to make that be his flaw.
I think it's in character. Stan may be a life-long conman, but he's amazingly bad at it. Until he came to the mystery shack, he spent his life perpetually on the run because he was so terrible at actually getting away with the cons he was pulling. He had to change his name, can't go back to several states, has been in prison multiple times, and he only got a fresh start by faking his death and assuming his twin Brother's identity. Stan's con-artist skill only works at the Mystery Shack because people don't come to a place like that expecting better, and because Gravity Falls (as has been pointed out repeatedly) is an inherently insane and stupid town.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah but at the same time last episode to save dipper and ford he used cheat skills, so which is it.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

yeah but at the same time last episode to save dipper and ford he used cheat skills, so which is it.

Ah yes, that great political skill, cheating at dice...

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Nobody in-universe bothered to point out out that eagles are carnivores, and would not give a poo poo about the piles of birdseed this election process involved. Either it didn't occur to anyone involved, or every other part of the event was so stupid that they just didn't feel it was worth bothering with one more detail.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

Nobody in-universe bothered to point out out that eagles are carnivores, and would not give a poo poo about the piles of birdseed this election process involved. Either it didn't occur to anyone involved, or every other part of the event was so stupid that they just didn't feel it was worth bothering with one more detail.

What, as many other strange things as there are in the town of Gravity Falls, they can't have a Freedom Eagle that bestows birdly kisses? Seems legit to me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You're all forgetting that Gravity Falls was founded by literal crazy person Quentin Trembly after his run as president.

None of the things written in the town charter seem particularly weird when you consider that.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

ninja alamode posted:

What, as many other strange things as there are in the town of Gravity Falls, they can't have a Freedom Eagle that bestows birdly kisses? Seems legit to me.

Also it is shameful that the writers did not research bird beaks and discover they are solid, and cannot in fact pucker up to bestow said kisses.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Aerox posted:

Also it is shameful that the writers did not research bird beaks and discover they are solid, and cannot in fact pucker up to bestow said kisses.

Boy, I hope someone lost their job for that one.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Aerox posted:

I guess you missed the scene where they flashed back to Quentin's release of several breeding pairs of flexible-beaked vegetarian eagles.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
EDIT: nevermind

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

johntfs posted:

I guess you missed the scene where they flashed back to Quentin's release of several breeding pairs of flexible-beaked vegetarian eagles.

Poor soul, I blame the Cult of the Blind Eye :argh:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

qntm posted:

Poor soul, I blame the Cult of the Blind Eye :argh:

Who?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Quite right. Taylor Swift fans are a cult. The Blind Eye was a Society.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tad Strange felt more like a Family Guy style cutaway gag more than anything.

If it was a family guy gag, Tad would probably still be walking around town, saying the same thing to the same 5 or 6 people over and over again, 2 days later. Because that is funny, you see.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

counterfeitsaint posted:

If it was a family guy gag, Tad would probably still be walking around town, saying the same thing to the same 5 or 6 people over and over again, 2 days later. Because that is funny, you see.

The closest Family Guy analog to Tad Strange is probably Buzz Killington, and his first appearance actually took up less time in the episode than Tad Strange did in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEPx6cnsArw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Guys a joke that is like a family guy joke is fine when it's not done all the time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pandaK posted:

The deal will be specifically worded to do something to Stanford Pines, Bill is going to monkey's paw the poo poo out of that. Stanford is all but confirmed not a permanent character.

Why's that? The only reason I've heard is he has to be voiced by Simmons, but it's not like Simmons doesn't do tons of animated voices for far weirder, fringier stuff like the turtle man in Bojack Horseman.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Simmons did four whole seasons as a very major character on Legend of Korra, I don't see why he wouldn't be in for the rest of this show's run.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Regy Rusty posted:

Simmons did four whole seasons as a very major character on Legend of Korra, I don't see why he wouldn't be in for the rest of this show's run.

Especially when this show has Disney money backing it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Macaluso posted:

Guys a joke that is like a family guy joke is fine when it's not done all the time
Yeah, Family Guy does like six cutaway gags per show

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pick posted:

Why's that? The only reason I've heard is he has to be voiced by Simmons, but it's not like Simmons doesn't do tons of animated voices for far weirder, fringier stuff like the turtle man in Bojack Horseman.

well you see, it's all part of my fan theory which states

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

LeviathanGunship posted:

Except it was a gag that ended in reasonable amount of time.

Family Guy would have given him a sitcom-style theme song/intro that cuts in after every time he's mentioned, with increasingly zanier antics.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ultramiraculous posted:

Family Guy would have given him a sitcom-style theme song/intro that cuts in after every time he's mentioned, with increasingly zanier antics.

OK, cool, thanks for repeating the "Family Guy is bad" joke as many times as Family Guy would have.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Family Guy is a poor comparison in any case, since Gravity Falls' style of humor takes more from classic-era Simpsons than anything else (To the point of literally having an ex-Simpsons showrunner on the writing staff). And if you're saying gags from classic-era Simpsons were bad, well...
https://youtu.be/ZXQR-cPXlmY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Let's stop talking about Family Guy and talk more about that sick burn directed at Reagan from this episode. Like, drat. That was a sick burn.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

One of the requisites to be mayor in Gravity Falls is casting a shadow.

This disqualifies Stanford.

Animation error or future plot point? We'll have to wait and see.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Sleeveless posted:

The closest Family Guy analog to Tad Strange is probably Buzz Killington, and his first appearance actually took up less time in the episode than Tad Strange did in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEPx6cnsArw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q

Except The family guy joke is just one joke that takes up the entirety of the clip and Tad Strange is only in little bits of that youtube video. If you cut and patched together only the parts of the clip that Tad's in, I reckon they'd be the same length, maybe it'd be even shorter. And they didn't stop and derail the story to do it all at once.

I like bread.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It would be quite a coincidence that error would occur in the same episode where they mention casting a shadow.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's no way they'd go to the length of setting up a scene specifically around something that casts light and then forget Stanford's shadow accidentally... :tinfoil:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

paradoxGentleman posted:

It would appear to be just an animation error.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

paradoxGentleman posted:

It looks like he as moving his entire silhouette, which would look weird if he had a shadow too, without spending a ton of money on something very unnoticable. Alternatively it's directly below him.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRRXXchOP8

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ah, the end of summer, when the leaves and fried eggs begin to fall from the trees.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Besesoth posted:

Ah, the end of summer, when the leaves and fried eggs begin to fall from the trees.

If those are eggs they are rather nasty ones, since they look cyan to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

If those are eggs they are rather nasty ones, since they look cyan to me.

It's called that thing where the colorist doesn't use the real color.
Painters help me out here. Like when tree trunks are purple in a sunset scene.

• Locked thread