Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Shas'o, I recommend that now may be the optimal time to eliminate the Necron presence on this world once and for all - it removes a threat, and consolidates your hold on the central plains of the continent. With your current forces, you should be able to resist early strikes long enough to build up a competent defense.

Strike at the Necron Stronghold! Though I recommend you take a slow, methodical approach - remove each threat methodically, one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Shas'o, I recommend that now may be the optimal time to eliminate the Necron presence on this world once and for all - it removes a threat, and consolidates your hold on the central plains of the continent. With your current forces, you should be able to resist early strikes long enough to build up a competent defense.

Strike at the Necron Stronghold! Though I recommend you take a slow, methodical approach - remove each threat methodically, one at a time.

Sounds good to me. Kill the Necrons.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I suggest you attack the Imperial Guard Stronghold shove the voters champion off the map.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Kill the Necrons. Between the upgrades O'Kais has and the ability to place a forward base at our destinations, we are more than ready to begin the assault on their stronghold. Not only that, but they have no other territories, so taking the plateau would finish them off for good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Attack the Necrons! Wipe those lovely robots off the map! We have the best robots-time to prove it.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Rather than vote for the first move of the turn, I am voting that we use our second move to Return to the Heartlands to prepare for an attack on either the IG or Necron, depending on which way the rest of the War Council decides. This will make it so that we can reposition again after taking the remaining stronghold.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

e: oops

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Take out the Necrons.

No, grandpa. You get the hell off OUR lawn!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am glad we are taking on Strongholds. I've been in a comfortable enough position to take down at least the Eldar, Chaos, or the Orkz for a while now, but we never received much War Council support for it. Necron have probably the most difficult opening assault of all the Strongholds, and the Tau aren't equipped to deal with the close-range warriors they send out. That said, I think our Honour Guard is strong enough to absorb that first attack. Similarly, the Imperial Guard are able to snowball quickly because they have a couple of bases flanking the starting position--our Honour Guard will be the key here.

Vote stands thus:
  • NECRON - 5
  • IMPERIAL GUARD - 2

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Right, I'm off to bed. I'm going to being our very first Stronghold assault tomorrow. If there are no changes, looks like we're gonna start with the Necron.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Take down the necrons

They are the worst army in this campaign. Unless you are playing as them, they always get their asses kicked.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crush the inferior foreign robots with our superior, plasma-cannon armed robots.

Taunt the Eldar when you're done.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Personally, I would have suggested Vandean Coast for that nice initial boost to req in a mission, which would help with setting up a base faster in Stronghold Assaults, but to each their own.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I coulda probably taken Gorgutz's Stronghold with a team of Fire Warrior Bodyguards, and a Veteran Stealthsuit, as long as I had the steal upgrade for Shas'o. :v:

Anything else we get is gravy. I'm pretty overpowered right now to take on any Stronghold--except the Necrons, which I'll say I'm probably about right.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Techpriest Engineer

Techpriest EnginSeer.

Whilst looking up the spelling, I find this titbit:

quote:

Of worthy note is that the Techpriest Enginseer has bugged morale. The Techpriest receives no morale damage whatsoever. While this is hardly noticed, it also contributes to the Techpriest's durability. However, by the time players' care about a Techpriest's morale being bugged, it has most likely died already due to stronger units appearing on the field.

Techpriests are apparently berserkers? The thought is alluring.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 26, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Techpriest EnginSeer.

Whilst looking up the spelling, I find this titbit:

They just excised the 'fear' part of their brain due to it being an inferior organic emotion, and replaced it with a graphing calculator.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

As the bloodcrusher rent the stubborn techpriest limb by augmented limb, the noble acolyte of mars buzzed one final chuckle.

'80085
,' he mused.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloodly posted:

Strangely enough, in the TT they can be surprisingly effective as a close combat unit, especially since their armour is equivalent to that of Space Marines, and they come equipped with a power weapon (their axe). That being said, LOL if you're trying to make a CC Imperial Guard army.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the RPG techpriests are nasty. By the time they're about 3/4 robotic their toughness/natural armor has got completely out-of-control, meanwhile they're swinging power weapons/engineering tools with more strength than an ogryn and probably extra limbs.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 26, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fortunately, they're also very succeptible to traps.

Just say "There's Archeotech down these halls!" and they'll walk in, no matter how many melta charges there are secreted around the walls.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Lone Badger posted:

In the RPG techpriests are nasty. By the time they're about 3/4 robotic their toughness/natural armor has got completely out-of-control, meanwhile they're swinging power weapons/engineering tools with more strength than an ogryn and probably extra limbs.

Not only that, but there's a whole slew of OP equipment that only Techpriests can access, and you can't argue that it's lore-unfriendly either.

Veloxyll posted:

Just say "There's Archeotech down these halls!" and they'll walk in, no matter how many melta charges there are secreted around the walls.

Most probably set by another Techpriest, if my experiences are any indication :v:

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
This is why the Mechanicus is my favourite Imperial group. I'm so sad they changed the core rules before they made them a proper army. I'd play the gently caress out of those guys! They're a crazy bunch of teched out madmen with the Void Dragon sitting the the basement and a stock of freaking titans to use at their pleasure.

Now if they could stop waking up the Necrons they'd be pretty much unstoppable.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Blind Sally posted:

Shas'ui Thean'tero shows great wisdom and acumen. We shall prevent any possibility of the Imperial Guard killing the Necron for us. Although it would make reconquering Kronus easier, I want the satisfaction of eliminating each invading army myself. On that note: we're attacking The Pavonian Heartland, because that is actually the province that the Imperial Guard have bordering on the Necron Stronghold.

What even are maps :downs:

But yeah, let's murder the Necron.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lone Badger posted:

Fantasy Flight Games loving loves Techpriests and it really got rolling with Rogue Trader, where it became easy to have a Techpriest who was better in every way at fighting than the designated Fighter class (who was terrible in RT) and who was also a weird mixture of genetically souped up sanctioned mutant and cybernetic terminator who could rip a Warboss in half.

FFG's techpriest lust gets more absurd with every book.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Night10194 posted:

Fantasy Flight Games loving loves Techpriests and it really got rolling with Rogue Trader, where it became easy to have a Techpriest who was better in every way at fighting than the designated Fighter class (who was terrible in RT) and who was also a weird mixture of genetically souped up sanctioned mutant and cybernetic terminator who could rip a Warboss in half.

FFG's techpriest lust gets more absurd with every book.

Hi, I'm rank 3 with a +60 bonus to my Tech use already.

Also I made myself a mutant with none of the downsides!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Veloxyll posted:

Hi, I'm rank 3 with a +60 bonus to my Tech use already.

Also I made myself a mutant with none of the downsides!

Those aren't mutations, those are Genetor enhancements :unsmigghh:

Black Crusade's a little less heavy on the Techpriest love, but simply transferred it to psykers, especially those of a Tzeentchian bent. Things get even more ridiculous if you have the Tome of Fate. Why yes, I would like the ability to make other people suffer my Warp Phenomena, while being able to summon all the demons!

EDIT: poo poo, and the Alpha Legionnaire is just as OP from a story, as opposed to mechanical, standpoint. "Hmm, I'm on a completely new world where I've never been before, how will I ever find some help? I know! I'll look in that crowd over there- there's bound to be someone I can corrupt!"

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 26, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Fantasy Flight Games loving loves Techpriests

I did this .gif for my Dark Heresy group in honour of the high-level Techpriest that decided to split off and single-handedly distract a huge detachment of enemy soldiers long enough for her party members to rescue their captured leader and escape safely:

The Techpriest won.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Seriously, Techpriests will wreck your poo poo. And don't even think about messing with Deathwatch Techmarines. Ours was called the Kool-aid man because of his habit of just bursting through walls and punching out tanks.

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
So I got the game, played through on easy to get a hand on the system and then went to normal as Imperial Guard. It then turned a literal pain in the rear end as every level was a slogfest and desperate holding action. Am I doing something wrong here? Why does Gorgutz have ten retinue on turn three? Why are there so many Raptors? This is normal right?

There isn't a bug where the game thinks it's on hard like was terror from the deep right? What the hell. Any tips playing guard beyond advance to tier 2 asap?
Also how do you take screenshots when the button is already used and you can't rebind keys in system?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Image21 posted:

every level was a slogfest and desperate holding action.
The authentic Imperial Guard experience.

Image21
Feb 15, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

The authentic Imperial Guard experience.

Well yes, but Christ. I understand why they have you start next to so many bonus' but good lord do you need them as guard.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Image21 posted:

Well yes, but Christ. I understand why they have you start next to so many bonus' but good lord do you need them as guard.

Why are you facing Gorgutz as the guard on turn 3? :confused:

Rushing to tier 2 is important, but expansion is ever more important. Your HQ structure can hold 3 shooty squads and be quite lethal when all 3 are in. Get some troops out there to cap points rapidly, your base can hold the line.

Hint: Engineseers count as shooty squads.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also remember that squads can 'transfer' rather quickly between garrisonable buildings. if you're not building anything, put two Techpriests in a building, and they'll count as two squads. The first squad in a building will fire an entire squad's worth of lasguns no matter how many actual people are in it. The second will fire (IIRC) another 3 or so plasma rifles. And again, remember that they can transfer from building to building, so place an Infantry Command next to every choke point. This has the hilarious side effect of actually making the Guard one of the more mobile races.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Besides, you'll want a bunch of Infantry Commands anyway, because that's how the Guard increase their squad cap.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Guard listening posts not only have a big bolter on them, but you can stick a squad in there too. Give that squad lots of plasma rifle and you have a pretty effective anti-heavy/anti-armor hardpoint.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As I recall, special weapons are sadly not carried into a bunker; it's just lasguns then plasma.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Should I do a stream of Guadsmen hyjinks instead of Hyperion Peaks as Ork again?

Just as a what if.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

CommissarMega posted:

As I recall, special weapons are sadly not carried into a bunker; it's just lasguns then plasma.

Maybe that's part of the Ultimate Apocalypse mod then. I haven't played vanilla in a long time.

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. The reason I faced gorgutz early was because I got fury early and tried to hem in chaos and limit their options, hence the 'oh god raptors!' comment. Enter gorgutz and his doomstack.

It was not exactly spirit crushing but it was close. Later on he left and then ate both the tau and then necrons and basically made it impossible to assault anything he was close too, made worse that he then had the space sport and I had to reinforce all my holdings to have a chance at defending them. It's kinda hard to kill tanks when their beyond range of your bunkers.

Well that's my whining done. Most of my mission success depended on getting a baneblade. Then all was gravy. It was getting there that was a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Image21 posted:

Most of my mission success depended on getting a baneblade. Then all was gravy. It was getting there that was a problem.

If the IG had a three sentence summary.

• Locked thread