Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I love the little sighs you can juuuust barely make out from Gnome. For instance, in Episode 14:

"You can punch this guy, hit "A" when you don't have any pikmin."
*Grabs pikmin, throws them, multiple times*
:sigh:

"You need to throw pikmin at this guy, he munches at his feet."
"Runs up and punches with Olimar*

Edit: Of course, even better is when Gnome proves to be his own worst enemy.
"Why don't we pull some pikmin out, to save a little time?"
*begins pulling pikmin out of the ground, not the ship*
:suicide:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Captain Bravo posted:

I love the little sighs you can juuuust barely make out from Gnome. For instance, in Episode 14:

"You can punch this guy, hit "A" when you don't have any pikmin."
*Grabs pikmin, throws them, multiple times*

"You need to throw pikmin at this guy, he munches at his feet."
"Runs up and punches with Olimar*

Edit: Of course, even better is when Gnome proves to be his own worst enemy.
"Why don't we pull some pikmin out, to save a little time?"
*begins pulling pikmin out of the ground, not the ship*
:suicide:

Clarification proves to be their undoing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
All I can think is
"You probably want more yellow Pikmin for this part."
"No! Like red magicians!" *takes out a bunch of red Pikmin, holds a plush dragon up to the screen and breathes fake fire on them* "See! Red magicians don't burn!"

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
The absolute worst thing the Smoky Prog can do is UPROOT PIKMIN SPROUTS so they can die to its miasma.

When I first encountered that egg, I had a small group of blue pikmin with me because the majority of the army was carrying defeated enemies back to the onions. Combined with it killing pikmin and opening up more room for sprouts to grow outside the onion and more more prey was brought and spawned more sprouts for it to uproot and slaughter.

Something that just wipes them out all at once like a bomb rock fuckup can only take out a hundred on its own without your input. The smoky progg is theoretically capable of giving you a pikmin loss of 100 over the maximum total number of pikmin you can grow in a single day there. While I didn't get quite that, it was certainly a 150+ kill besides just the active battle I did against it which lost over a hundred more.

This happened when I thought I'd mastered the combat and puzzles in the game and the only thing left was to get all but the last part about as fast as possible with the then-current speedruns then grow as many pikmin as possible in the remaining days. Hubris is a dangerous thing. :stonklol:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Ignore the puffy blowhog"
*complete slaughter because the blowhog knocks pikmin off the bulbear*

Gnome stop getting pikmin killed Fae can do that on her own.

EDIT: Oh my god it just keeps getting worse Gnome why did you do this

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 22, 2015

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Internet Kraken posted:

By themselves, puffy blowhogs are no threat. In conjuction with other enemies that can actually kill your Pikmin, they become priority target 1. Especially when both the other targets are asleep.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Internet Kraken posted:

I admit, I made a very bad tactical decision there. My thinking at the time was "there is zero way to kill the puffy blowhog without waking up that first bulbear, so lets quickly kill the bulbear first."

A better decision would have been "Fae we're not going in this direction without about 10 bomb rocks."

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also getting Fae to pull pikmin away from Bulborb/bear mouths and throw them. Olimar doesnot do as much damage as throwing a dozen pikmin to safety.

Gnome is the real danger to Pikmin health.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Pikmin health is incidental to parts retrieval, and that is my official stance on pikmin mortality.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 16 - Let's Not Fight Frog Nuggets

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Jedi's are going to feel this one...

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This might be stating the obvious but wow are you ever terrible at this game!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Too be honest I expected the beady long legs fight to go horribly since 100 pikmin combined with Fae's inability to maneuver would mean a lot of squashing. Beady barely got a chance too move though because all the pikmin swarming his legs slowed him down so much. I genuinely did not know that was a thing you could do to him. Either they removed that in the sequels or I somehow never found that out despite fighting him dozens of times.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I look forward to the next horrible slaughter of Pikmin :allears:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gimbal lock posted:

This might be stating the obvious but wow are you ever terrible at this game!

Shei-kun posted:

Alright, can this stuff just stop already? It's a blind, first time play through of an RTS game with finicky controls and extremely disposable minions. This last video was a really good day, and I'm getting real tired of this "Wow fae's so bad!" meme going on. We got hit with a fire spout and lost 50 pikmin in one go. That'll happen. Fire is dangerous and very little can be done about it once you've taken the hit. And I can guarantee everyone who has played this game on their own has reset after an equally disastrous moment, they just weren't mocked for it over the internet.

In the run that actually mattered, we only lost 20 pikmin, and we lost them to one of the most dangerous enemies in the game. We killed the boss super fast, got the last part in the area, gained twice as many pikmin as we lost, and got at least 60 flower pikmin of each color. We're on day 16 with 21 parts. We are in a very good position to beat the game and even take a shot at 100%'ing this game, which most people do not do until their second or third play through.

Yes, there's some bumbling with directions. We've had to restart a couple days and it's taken time to learn the controls. Yes, we lose pikmin, but I'm certainly not helping in that regard and at least two of these massacres are at my hands, not hers. Hell, I was even gunning for a third that could've cost actual hundreds of pikmin, but Fae circumvented it. We are making some serious progress through this game within the time limit the game has allotted us.

If your only comment on the video is just "wow I'm so happy to see how bad Fae is" then please, kindly shove it up your rear end. Because she isn't terrible at this game. She's just new to it. We're learning. And we're thriving. There is a surplus of pikmin, a surplus of time remaining, and a mostly assembled ship for us to ride home in.

There will be more disasters. That's a given. I know I've had disasters far worse than anything in this LP happen to my crew before. Anyone who has played this series has a story to tell about losing dozens of pikmin to a timely mistake.

It happens.

So don't worry about it.

And stop bein' rude to Faerie Fortune.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The long-leg fight went well, congratulations. I didn't know you could actually stop it from moving it's feet that way. Neat.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I think the fastest way to beat the beady long legs is to run in with a medium/small group of red pikmin, stand right under it where it won't stomp, and throw right up to the ball when it's low enough. You don't want to bring too many along or they can get stomped because larger groups of pikmin are much harder to keep out of the way. That fight did go really smoothly despite the large number though, probably because your pikmin were attacking the feet, and you got a good amount of yellows up onto the thing.

I've had some fights with this thing go... not quite as smoothly. About 60 pikmin lost levels of not so smooth.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

gnome7 posted:

A long frustrated post

I doubt anyone means it maliciously. It says right on the tin that it's blind. When people are new at something, barring special circumstances, they will be bad at it. And that's where a lot of the comedy comes in, both the schadenfreude and the little joys and successes. When someone posts

Shei-kun posted:

They are likely remembering their own horrible mistakes, either in this game or others.

If you and fae decide to make an OP rule of "No making fun of us", that's fine (it would clean up the thread a bit, honestly), but doing so removes an opportunity for shared commiseration.

That said if it turns into twitch chat (which a couple of the posts addressing gnome have come close to) I say lock the thread 'til people play nice.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tyty posted:

I think the fastest way to beat the beady long legs is to run in with a medium/small group of red pikmin, stand right under it where it won't stomp, and throw right up to the ball when it's low enough. You don't want to bring too many along or they can get stomped because larger groups of pikmin are much harder to keep out of the way. That fight did go really smoothly despite the large number though, probably because your pikmin were attacking the feet, and you got a good amount of yellows up onto the thing.

I've had some fights with this thing go... not quite as smoothly. About 60 pikmin lost levels of not so smooth.

Yeah, I'm trying to run through the game with zero Pikmin deaths and a squad of 10 flower reds was the best way I found to kill it without fatalities. Killing it with a big mob without many fatalities was actually impressive.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What the hell is this? Chill out. Nobody is being actively malicious because they're laughing at somebody struggling with a game they're playing blind. I thought that was supposed to be part of the threads appeal; to remind everyone of how we stumbled horribly when we played the game blind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really think "Boy you suck ok see ya" is a very valuable contribution to the thread though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Great job killing those enemies you sure reduced their HPs to 0 without performing a double knockout!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CrazySalamander posted:

They are likely remembering their own horrible mistakes, either in this game or others.

Mostly I'm just an rear end in a top hat and a sociopath.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

I don't really think "Boy you suck ok see ya" is a very valuable contribution to the thread though

If we got bent out of shape over every post that didn't contribute to a thread in a meaningful way this forum would be empty. This just seems like a pretty silly thing to make an issue out of.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

If we got bent out of shape over every post that didn't contribute to a thread in a meaningful way this forum would be empty. This just seems like a pretty silly thing to make an issue out of.

Co-commentator spoke on Fae's behalf to ask us to knock it off so it doesn't really matter what our opinion of is

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Co-commentator spoke on Fae's behalf to ask us to knock it off so it doesn't really matter what our opinion of is

That's the thing- it's hard to tell whether gnome had a hard day and overreacted, or if the comments really are bothering both of them. Gnome initially responded quite well to some of the posts that could have been considered rude/too harsh towards him. Clarification from one or both would be great, especially since some of the most humorous content has come from some of the good natured ribbing (such as the comparison of fae to a pikmin and gnome to Olimar). Because, assholes and sociopaths aside, the vast majority of us want this to be a fun thread for all involved, including the content creators.

e:also what the heck is up with this, it sounds like you're making fun of them and then condemning others for it?

RareAcumen posted:

Great job killing those enemies you sure reduced their HPs to 0 without performing a double knockout!

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 27, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Hey, how about instead of nitpicking exactly what the etiquette is for making fun of the Let's Player, why don't we just go along with what the person creating free, entertaining videos asked us to do? I don't doubt that you might be able to make a cogent argument, but I would rather have a slightly chiller thread and keep getting fun pikmin videos than just piss off Gnome and Fae and have them close the thread altogether. Why is that so hard?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CrazySalamander posted:

That's the thing- it's hard to tell whether gnome had a hard day and overreacted, or if the comments really are bothering both of them. Gnome initially responded quite well to some of the posts that could have been considered rude/too harsh towards him. Clarification from one or both would be great, especially since some of the most humorous content has come from some of the good natured ribbing (such as the comparison of fae to a pikmin and gnome to Olimar). Because, assholes and sociopaths aside, the vast majority of us want this to be a fun thread for all involved, including the content creators.

There's a really big difference from saying "you're garbage" and making a joke. I can't speak for Gnome, but the former really grated on me and Fae in the OoT thread because it really came off more as just berating Fae for being new to a game instead of being constructive and offering advice for improving or making little lighthearted jokes like the Gnome -> Olimar and Fae -> Pikmin comparison or the Me -> Navi and Fae -> Link comparison. It gets really annoying trying to stay levelheaded and calm when comments that don't do much else other than insult come by.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

e:also what the heck is up with this, it sounds like you're making fun of them and then condemning others for it?

Read the stoic parts in Microsoft Sam.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I didn't intend to be rude, or to imply Faerie Fortune's a bad player. I actually like seeing that someone besides me also makes mistakes in video games. Most LPs are edited as such that you don't see the person playing the game make mistakes that even experienced players can make, and that can get rather old when all you see are the flawless runs in games where mistakes are okay to make.

I enjoy this LP because Faerie Fortune makes it fun to watch, both during her moments of triumph and her moments of disaster. So, if it seemed like I was being rude or insulting, I apologize. I never post with the intention to imply someone's bad at LPing or a co-commentator is dumb or something, so if it happens, I wanna know so I can apologize and, y'know, change my behavior so I don't do it again.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

There's a really big difference from saying "you're garbage" and making a joke. I can't speak for Gnome, but the former really grated on me and Fae in the OoT thread because it really came off more as just berating Fae for being new to a game instead of being constructive and offering advice for improving or making little lighthearted jokes like the Gnome -> Olimar and Fae -> Pikmin comparison or the Me -> Navi and Fae -> Link comparison. It gets really annoying trying to stay levelheaded and calm when comments that don't do much else other than insult come by.

Well this is reasonable enough confirmation for me that it probably wasn't just a bad day. Fae, Gnome, (and ChaosArgate from the OoT) I'd like to apologize for laughing at the posts poking fun at them, and saying nothing about them, and as such tacitly approving them. I'm used to SA being a bit abrasive so I figured gnome would pop in a few hours later, crack a joke about overreacting and everyone would have a good laugh about it. Thank you ChaosArgate for popping in to say this.

TLDR Captain Bravo was right

Serious stuff over, now check this out:

Apparently it's someone's wedding cake!

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
As someone who has no Pikmin experience whatsoever but has heard a lot about these games being difficult micromanaging, I think Fae's doing pretty good - I know I would panic a lot more and be way behind the curve of collecting the parts in her place. :shobon:

Thank you for this LP, Fae and Gnome, and I'm really looking forward to you tackling the future entries in the series.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, I think Fae is doing a drat good job. 30 days means roughly 1 part a day, so as far as I'm concerned any time she's ahead of that she's doing a fantastic job. And she's pretty well ahead of that. Go Fae! I WILL bust out the pom-poms if I have to.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I would've made a followup post saying I was indeed serious and that I would very much like people to knock off the insult the LPer brigading going on, but ChaosArgate covered it for me while I was asleep. Everything he's said is spot on - it is very discouraging to be doing well and have a good 50-80% of the followup comments in the thread be "Wow aren't you bad at this!" It sucks and I'd like it to stop, and I appreciate how chill most of you are being about that request. Thanks.

But back to having fun,

CrazySalamander posted:

That is a hella cool cake.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

CrazySalamander posted:

brb proposing to my girlfriend so I can have this cake

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

gnome7 posted:

And stop bein' rude to Faerie Fortune.
The Wall of Fallen Pikmin is still kosher, right? :ohdear:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Faerie Fortune posted:

Why have this cake when you can get a bigger one?

I mean, you don't even have 100 Pikmin on that cake

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Pyroi posted:

Why have this cake when you can get a bigger one?

I mean, you don't even have 100 Pikmin on that cake

Why have 100 Pikmin on a cake when you could have a cake being carried by 100 Pikmin?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Doopliss posted:

The Wall of Fallen Pikmin is still kosher, right? :ohdear:

If it isn't, Fae will forget the many sacrifices of Pikmin that got her to this point, and she will sacrifice them all willy-nilly.

She will then become a demon.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Why have 100 Pikmin on a cake when you could have a cake being carried by 100 Pikmin?

Because then they take it to the Onion and then they make a new set of 100 Pikmin.

Pyroi fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Cake can be used for any celebrations. Doing laundry, for example. Or replacing the toilet paper roll.

• Locked thread