Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Frinkahedron posted:

If Bud Foster can commit to stopping the run/option by putting 8 guys in the box all game and trusting his (very very very good) defensive backs to contain the explosive pass play, it's going to be a long night for whoever is throwing for OSU. This is sounding like the experienced D-line vs brand new O-line matchup that let VT win last year.

Eh, the Bear front worked last year pretty well, but just getting guys in the box and counting on islands won't be enough. Obviously Fuller and the secondary (Facyson et al) are incredibly good. That said, 8 guys in the box and overloading works best when the play calls are for either long-developing routes or corners who can maintain press for as long as possible. Urban being Urban, I'm imagining there are going to be more contingencies for the Bear/Overload playcalls that burned him last year that pop open a receiver quickly or have a fast check down. Part of the problem wasn't just releasing off press but an inability by Barrett to zip balls the way he needed to to hit a tight window before a corner recovers or a robber comes down. Similarly he started out extremely mediocre in being able to float a ball deep enough to pass the corner. Some of that comes down to bad footwork/blocking fails and his hurried throws but part of that was also Barrett's physical limitations at the time. He's looked a lot better on both fronts since that game, so it'll be interesting how that affects the passing game. I think receiver depth is a lot easier to compensate for in a game plan since coaches know what receivers excel at far better than just knowing "X lineman is best in these situations and worse in these ones", but I think it's going to be close just by virtue of need for reps. 27-24 wouldn't be a shocking final score to me, but I still just can't see VT winning when every single OSU player has borderline murderous intent with this game based on how last year affected them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Got tickets to see Michigan at Penn State on November 21 with my dad. Hopefully it's not a poo poo show, at least on the Penn State side.

Going to get tickets for the Maryland game on Baltimore soon also.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Eh, he was likely starting the VT game and possibly the season in Evan Spencer's old role. It hurts most just because the depth is hosed with Marshall and Wilson also out. This is going to mean a bunch of Johnnie Dixon, James Clark, and Terry McLaurin reps trying to figure out who the other outside/boundary receiver is since Thomas and Braxton are both named as starters right now. Hopefully one of those guys steps up, but that's probably the worst position to be losing guys for the VT game.

Don't forget Curtis Samuel is moving to H Back also.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

computer parts posted:

I mean the worst thing about these is that anyone devoted enough to buy this already has a pair of real overalls.

Actually the worst thing is how the real ones look:

My high school copied the whole overalls thing and it was the absolute worst. I'm sure it was all practice for doing it again once they got to A&M.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV isn't doing cost of attendance for football this year. Only men's and women's basketball iirc. The AD says that it will be implemented next year which is good because getting too far behind with coa is gonna kill recruiting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Frinkahedron posted:

So is Ohio State just gonna run the option or what?

Well they already do so yeah probably

But anyway as pointed out, like all the non-Bosa guys who are out he wasn't a starter so it's probably not the end of the world and they have like, 8 dudes who were 4*+ on their roster at WR, which isn't even counting Miller. They're stupid loaded from Urbz running roughshod over the entire area in recruiting.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Brown was going to be a big contributor and a potential starter for OSU, as was already said by an OSU poster. That's not an "OK whatever" loss for them.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Why do bitches gotta be putting on weight

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Ehud posted:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/08/rutgers_investigating_football_coach_kyle_flood_fo.html

Rutgers investigating football coach Kyle Flood for possible rules violation

lol

The enemies of Rutgers are cunning.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sash! posted:

Surprisingly, we didn't really have any sort of weirdo group that did weirdo things in the student section.

Ok

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

The enemies of Rutgers are cunning.

Solely asking about whether someone is academically eligible doesn't seem like a fireable offense.

e: Scratch that, somehow missed the part about turning the pass/fail class. That's real dumb.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

TheGreyGhost posted:

27-24 wouldn't be a shocking final score to me, but I still just can't see VT winning when every single OSU player has borderline murderous intent with this game based on how last year affected them.

Not at all?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
2 days to a college football game.
7 days to the first FBS games.

9 days to the first Saturday of the season.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm the 1.15 gas

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JRizzle posted:

Not at all?

Seriously, that game was completely inconsequential to OSU that season.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
N: Holy Cross coaches stage a little wrestling match after practice. http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-08-26/holy-cross-football-coaches-show-wwe-wrestling-skills-team-goes

V: :vince:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Auburn coming under scrutiny
http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-auburn-athletics-and-academics-collide-1440635278

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

And I thought Clemson overalls were tacky...

yep dats me

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with an AD lobbying to keep a major favored by athletes. But I'm assuming the Public Administration classes at Auburn have a lot in common with the African American Studies classes at UNC and that's why they were so keen to keep the major around.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thoguh posted:

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with an AD lobbying to keep a major favored by athletes. But I'm assuming the Public Administration classes at Auburn have a lot in common with the African American Studies classes at UNC and that's why they were so keen to keep the major around.

The part where they offer to pay people with athletic department funds so they can keep the joke major around is pretty illuminating

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This rules

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

My three-yaer-old and I also have some, of course.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Cool kid.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Can he say "Rocky Top, bitch!" yet?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

The part where they offer to pay people with athletic department funds so they can keep the joke major around is pretty illuminating

I wonder what it's like to be a college professor in a major you know is a joke.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

vyst posted:

I wonder what it's like to be a college professor in a major you know is a joke.

Probably incredibly freeing. Your entire job is reduced to baby sitting, everyone know this, and you get paid at least 80K to read kinda.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 27, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

gently caress off. I want to talk about football without you jackasses bringing that poo poo up every time I say anything. You're as bad as an ESPN commenter.

That happened once. Once. It's not a "tradition" or something.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

gently caress off. I want to talk about football without you jackasses bringing that poo poo up every time I say anything. You're as bad as an ESPN commenter.

We've finally cracked him.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Um, did you miss the part where the body that accredits AU states that academic decisions are the responsibility of the faculty?

The faculty unanimously voted to shelve the major & was then backed, in a 10-1 vote, by committee review. A single meeting between AU's provost & the AD stopped that dead in its tracks.

I'm sure this type of thing occurs at most uni's that have successful athletic programs (even LSU), but it's bullshit & should end.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

You know what happened more than once?

Rhythmic slapping.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Was this for saving the statue?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vyst posted:

If you're mainly a research professor it would own incredibly. Especially if you get a grad student to do the grading for you.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

pillsburysoldier posted:

Was this for saving the statue?

if you keep your entire body facing the ground you can't see children being exploited

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

computer parts posted:

I mean the worst thing about these is that anyone devoted enough to buy this already has a pair of real overalls.

Actually the worst thing is how the real ones look:

Aggies means farmers, farmers wear overalls, I don't see the problem here.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Louisville unveils (kind of) all-black uniforms for their Thursday night game against Clemson on Sept. 17.

Adidas is still awful. Right down to the cholo-tattoo L on the thigh.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I like the helmet but the rest is trash.

Seems like the only decent stuff Adidas has put out is ASU.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sash! posted:

Lol your school systematically covered up child rape for years at multiple levels and the fanbase is still trying to deify one of the people who could have acted against it and chose not to.

Take a page from A+M fans when people talk about their dumb fans.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wandler20 posted:

I like the helmet but the rest is trash.

Seems like the only decent stuff Adidas has put out is ASU.

Oddly enough the helmet is the only thing not designed by Adidas. They've used that glossy-on-matte look a few seasons now I think, and yeah it's cool.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Matte helmets are the coolest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Scarf posted:

Oddly enough the helmet is the only thing not designed by Adidas. They've used that glossy-on-matte look a few seasons now I think, and yeah it's cool.

I like the prototypes and the drawings of that helmet, but in-game it gets a little lost.

• Locked thread