Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009

MrBling posted:

Real Madrid have also shipped out Coentrao on loan to Monaco.

I was actually more surprised that he was still at the club.

I always hated him and his stupid sexy hair and blue eyes shining like the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kcer posted:

Last I heard about Illaramendi he was doing all sorts of slick passes and people loved him, what happened?

He moved to madrid.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

He moved to madrid.

This.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

kcer posted:

Last I heard about Illaramendi he was doing all sorts of slick passes and people loved him, what happened?

He has never done any of that. He was like the 5th best player on that Real Sociedad CL team.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Honestly I think it's close to a tipping point on young next-big-things moving to the massive clubs.

I can't think of a single recent one outside of Neymar that's worked out for the parties. If I had any talent I'd think more about game time and look at a fringe CL player, maybe in the PL due to the TV money distribution setup, than a Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, City, etc.

If Van Gaal wasn't a madman I think United, as much as it pains me to say it, would be the best positioned club to sign younger talent, given their history of actually playing young kids.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its not surprising illaramendi was poo poo for Madrid after leaving Fuentes care at Real Sociedad

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Hazard made the step up quickly as well but in general you are right. The obvious problem is the wage parity between being the 30th man on a superclub and the best player on basically any other team. There's no reason for superclubs to stop stockpiling and if you are a young player hey your legs could explode tomorrow so take that signing bonus asap etc.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

MoPZiG posted:

Hazard made the step up quickly as well but in general you are right. The obvious problem is the wage parity between being the 30th man on a superclub and the best player on basically any other team. There's no reason for superclubs to stop stockpiling and if you are a young player hey your legs could explode tomorrow so take that signing bonus asap etc.

Oh totally. It makes sense for the kids, or at least it always has. That's why I think we are nearing the tipping point but we are not there yet. The finances of the mid tier clubs in the PL are changing, the BL is experiencing some healthy turnover outside of bayern, etc. Combined with all these flameouts, it's setting things up.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

£58m for de bruyne

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

triple sulk posted:

£58m for de bruyne

3 times the player that left chels then

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

triple sulk posted:

£58m for de bruyne

:hawksin:

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
gently caress me. City just have unlimited cash don't they?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

quiet enjoyment posted:

gently caress me. City just have unlimited cash don't they?

Have you been living under a rock?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Someone find my post where I said benteke was the most expensive Belgian until De Bruyne went to man city

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Thinking about swapping in De Bruyne for that wasteman Navas is giving me a huge pump

Silva and De Bruyne making cool passes and switching positions, Sterling doing gay moves down the left, mmmmmmm

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Have you been living under a rock?

Its just the disconnect between the amount of talent someone displays and the money teams are shelling out this summer seems particularly silly.

It's a funny old game.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

beedeebee posted:

Wow Benteke is the most expensive Belgian player....

until City sign De Bruyne

:smuggo:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
My POV on this is, getting money to invest is not a big problem for these clubs and to say that 'a storm is coming' is pompous and absurd.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Breath Ray posted:

My POV on this is, getting money to invest is not a big problem for these clubs and to say that 'a storm is coming' is pompous and absurd.

I don't think a storm is coming. I think the end result is that really promising talent will probably go the Ajax>Liverpool>Barcalona route much more than the Ajax>Arcelona route. That playing time and still decent wage at a middle of the pack club like Liverpool will look better.

Otoh maybe the richest and most prestigious clubs will just continue buying all the kids but pay 2x-3x now!!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Noice

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

To be fair you were basically betting City wouldnt have the dignity to walk away when the price got absurd, which seems a fairly safe one

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Parody Threads posted:

Silva and De Bruyne making cool passes and switching positions, Sterling doing gay moves down the left, mmmmmmm

Mate Sterling is poo poo and we never wanted him. Mark my words.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Mate Sterling is poo poo and we never wanted him. Mark my words.

*Does the Sterling run gesture, which doubles as a very homoerotic dismissal of an argument*

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's loving insane how much money City can spend.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Delph and that kid they signed from Fulham this summer will not play a meaningful game for City in the next 5 years.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Stones getting some fan abuse: https://twitter.com/Sickmick123/status/636693911742885888

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Football fans are the worst

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

username post combo

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Kevin Nolan to the unemployment line is a DONE DEAL

https://twitter.com/whufc_official/status/636810853858324480

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

:getout:

Unless this means we bring in Joey Barton as a replacement

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Ian Harte announced his retirement today

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Ian Harte announced his retirement today

Haha is there any missing context to this or does he just have the finesse of David Dunn?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Haha is there any missing context to this or does he just have the finesse of David Dunn?

He just fell over afaik, good player though imo his free kicks were tasty

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Arsene Wenger posted:

I am always confident that a last-minute situation or solution is available

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

Leicester City are in negotiations with Birmingham City over a deal for 19-year-old winger Demarai Gray and have submitted a bid to activate his £4.7m release clause.

Why are Birmingham so dumb with their release clauses? We got Redmond for £3m and now Gray going for about 5m, the fans should be going mental at the owners.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i really hope good old boys txiki and khaldoon are standing outside platini's office, banging on the window, holding up pictures of de bruyne and sterling and laughing, sellotaping fifty pound notes to the glass whilst platini sadly crosses out FFP on his desk

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Arsene's last minute lucky dip: sometimes you get Ozil, sometimes you get Silvestre.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Arsene's last minute lucky dip: sometimes you get Ozil, sometimes you get Silvestre.

Either way, they stay in the CL.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i really hope good old boys txiki and khaldoon are standing outside platini's office, banging on the window, holding up pictures of de bruyne and sterling and laughing, sellotaping fifty pound notes to the glass whilst platini sadly crosses out FFP on his desk

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Brony Car posted:

Either way, they stay in the CL.

That's not really going to satisfy anyone now that CL money isn't vital to the clubs existence. Wenger must be a masochist for fan abuse because there is really no other reason to have signed no outfield players when our bank balance is ballooning.

• Locked thread