Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

War Dog will be the first of us to die. It should be the only one. Kill them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Union-class Dropship 天龍
- Fires PPC at Car (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement - 4 target movement = -1): automatic hit (0/2 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!

Scared the crap out of me because I wasnt sure which car it was at first

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Also: Carlos is currently 3 Turns from escaping off the map edge, though it looks like he's currently slowing down to fight. The Cappower Rangers don't appear to know who he is, so as long as you don't leave him totally strung out (not that you guys even have the MP to do so at this point) he should be able to make it.

The Dropship is looks to be on a witness elimination mission, but again, it doesn't realize that the Marik car is important and is probably going to keep cleaning up the nearby civvies. The Marik car is also carrying at least a small amount of battlemech-grade armor and won't die to a single PPC hit, though surviving a hit is a clear sign it's worth shooting again.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

Scared the crap out of me because I wasnt sure which car it was at first

Absolutely same.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Huh, what happened to the Nightstar's arm to blow it off?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

Huh, what happened to the Nightstar's arm to blow it off?

I don't remember that happening. Huh.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 29, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't remember that happening. Huh.

I was being dumb and looking at the War Dog. Mashed together the "Missing MPL and Gauss rifle" part and just thought "Oh those are nightstar weapons derpp :downs:

e: Does anyone remember how many MP the car has? Was it 11?

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 27, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I think they're gonna be nigh unhittable now. Jesus Christ that speed.

I think the best option is to focus the White mech as best as you can while running as far away as possible.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, looks like the Capellan Legendary Beast Squad was holding back, and does have the Heavenly Dragon commanding it, as that's what the name of the DropShip is referencing. Those 7/11/7 profiles are gonna be a bitch to counter, and the War Dog is as good as gone next turn.

Looks like the Jinggau didn't get blown apart by friendly fire and is now moving up again even though his status still shows him as retreating, so I guess I was right when I concluded that he was in on it. fluff implies that the blame for allowing you guys to escape will fall on his unconscious CO in the Yu Huang though. Really not his day today...

All those missed Gauss slugs on the Tiger and the Phoenix... The to-hit numbers were too high, but a lucky hit might've breached Tiger's CT. Still, try and keep up the pressure and take one of the Beasts down with you.

Great use of Chinese idioms in the convo parts of the fluff, PTN. Seeing ma ma hu hu (literally: "horse horse tiger tiger", with the meaning of "so-so") translated in English is a bit jarring, but at least I get what you were going for in using that expression. I guess Tiger doesn't have that good of a grasp on Chinese idiom and that's why Dragon gave him that response to his usage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's what I was going for, yes. She gave him a 4/10, a nice effort but he misused the expression.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Those engines are 28,233,333 cbills on their own. They might have permission to cut loose but the first one to take an engine hit is so hosed.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Weissritter posted:

They are actually limb-conversion gear - each of them attach to the dropship as limb/head to form the Tian Long (天龍,heavenly or sky dragon).

Not quite this, but I guessed the name of the dropship at least! Or it was mentioned already in a previous update that I missed out on.

With the dropship firing its weapon on the car, will it shoot goonlance as well?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's what I was going for, yes. She gave him a 4/10, a nice effort but he misused the expression.

Wonder if the number 4 taboo (as in the death homophone) extended into Capellan culture as well, due to Chinese influence. If so, then I guess Tiger really is going to get taken down due to Dragon's rating there. Should've rated him an 8 for good fortune instead!

How long did it take you to craft that fluff exchange anyway? Were you waiting for a chance to use Chinese expressions or something?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Grand Titan (Allied)
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (White) (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (White) (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (10/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires Artemis SRM-6 at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (White) (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 34!

Old Carlos is gunnery 2 isn't he? That would make the first shot hit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The car using the Maelstrom as cover is wonderful. Also a clear sign to the Maelstrom pilot that sticking around to fight would be bad.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Wonder if the number 4 taboo (as in the death homophone) extended into Capellan culture as well, due to Chinese influence. If so, then I guess Tiger really is going to get taken down due to Dragon's rating there. Should've rated him an 8 for good fortune instead!

She did not explicitly give him a numerical rating, it was more of a saying. So he should be fine.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Weissritter posted:

She did not explicitly give him a numerical rating, it was more of a saying. So he should be fine.

True, I was more going off of PTN's response to my comment and posting tongue in cheek. Don't take too much from it.

Still, Tiger is the most likely member of the Legendary Beast squad to get taken out, what with the damaged CT from this turn.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

True, I was more going off of PTN's response to my comment and posting tongue in cheek. Don't take too much from it.

Still, Tiger is the most likely member of the Legendary Beast squad to get taken out, what with the damaged CT from this turn.

Wonder if that will get them to back off, or just enrage them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The car using the Maelstrom as cover is wonderful. Also a clear sign to the Maelstrom pilot that sticking around to fight would be bad.

Is the car underneath me? I thought it was still in 0512. I am trying to keep it from getting noticed by staying in ECM range of it though. My plan next turn is basically to keep backing off- I can move to 0708 and face my back to the height 2 hill, which means I shouldn't be able to take backshots. Meanwhile I can twist right and shoot at the sure to be gangbang around the downed War Dog. The Nightstar can at least not even move for the best to hits, since it's pretty much at the map edge already. Cerb, not sure, I guess I'd just go straight north to 1012 and face 1112 to point yourself in an ok ish direction for following Carlos out to the northeast. We're all pretty much 100% backshot or physical vulnerable at this point, so welp.

e: This mission has been amazing all around, the last thing I can wish for is just to see the reaction to one of the beast squad take a crit to their fantastically expensive engine, or even getting headcapped in one last fit of Gauss Rifle pique.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 27, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kial posted:

Old Carlos is gunnery 2 isn't he? That would make the first shot hit.

He is, let us hope it nails the CT.

Also ptn how is the blue shadowhawk kicking from on top of a height 2 light building? does the light building even have the CF to hold it up?

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 27, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It must be inside the building, those things are only CF15.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Looks like a RT hit. Still good.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Correct on the building it looks like ptn just let it run in for no penalty on the first two hexes of the building as it would be an open mech sized door and an open mech sized bay, however the intact building hext will still block LOS between black shadowhawk and the cerb wouldn't it?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

some Space Chinese

wait...so they're speaking a tone language over a radio that strips out... :cheers:

that's beautiful.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

propatriamori posted:

wait...so they're speaking a tone language over a radio that strips out... :cheers:

that's beautiful.

Holy poo poo I didn't get that. That's amazing.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
So the Comguard pilot who lived in inside the car in 0512?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Casualty posted:

So the Comguard pilot who lived in inside the car in 0512?
Yes.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 27, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Did Carlos have a driver or something?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Casualty posted:

Maybe. BattleTech does have self-driving cars, so that's another option.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

The Casualty posted:

It'd make sense, anyway. Never leave the getaway car unattended.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

That car better drive like a motherfucker then.

Pretend there's a bunch of important animation stills for a show in the side seat! :v:

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Well the Ceb and the War Dog should be able to spit out some nice short range Pulse fire before they fall. Hurt em!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Well, with the Wardog down, and them wanting to take prisoners, it might be possible that they'll move in to surround it. The closest enemy would, if it were me, move past it to get the move mod, so may present a good target if the 'dog can get up and face its rear.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
So the Power Rangers do have XXL Engines.

I'm afraid things aren't looking good. With such huge jump and movement ranges the chances of a clean getaway are pretty much nil. My suggestion would be to try and focus fire on the White Ranger since it has a very thin center torso and breaching its armour might make it and the others rethink their strategy. Given what PTN's said so far my guess is that they're probably operating under forced withdrawal rules, so you'll at least remove the Heavy PPC from the fight.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Thinking I may move to 1314; at the very least I could prevent any enemies from getting in the hex right behind the War Dog and punching him in the back or somesuch. I won't block LOS for shooting, but gently caress it, it's something.

A thought - while it's not mentioned in the Quickstart .pdf, I seem to recall that torso-twists happen during their own individual phase after movement has been declared - even with all these Ace pilots on the field. PTN, is it possible to, for instance, send orders along the line of "torso-twist towards whichever facing gives me LOS on the White enemy Mech, if applicable"?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure PTN does torso-twists automatically according to firing orders. As torso twists don't affect anything except your own firing arc, they're one of the few things he'll just take care of without requiring further input.

As an aside, this does mean that torso twisting doesn't change your facing for the purposes of being shot at, either.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
...So, this wasn't even their final form, huh? RUN AWAY! :gonk:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You guys are fighting weaponized anime. Of course they've got a limiter which is conveniently disengaged at the beginning of season 2. Or ... whatever. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

One disadvantage of XXL engines is even if its clan tech they are still going down on the loss of a torso, IS tech is 6 crits in each side torso for the engine, so if you penetrate you can shut them down real hard.

• Locked thread