Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Shadow225 posted:

Board gaming is a social hobby. Your experience will greatly be affected by the people in your game. We can enjoy bad games if we like the people, and the inverse is also very true.

That being said, don't try to force yourself to like a game just because other people said it was good. It's okay to dislike popular things.

man he's not trying to force it, he just hates that he couldn't enjoy the game over the smell and volume of the other people playing, neither of which had to do with the actual game (and both of which are kind of an extreme experience)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Shadow225 posted:

Board gaming is a social hobby. Your experience will greatly be affected by the people in your game. We can enjoy bad games if we like the people, and the inverse is also very true.

That being said, don't try to force yourself to like a game just because other people said it was good. It's okay to dislike popular things.

That being said, if your first time playing a game was with a truly awful group of people it can't hurt to try it once more with people who aren't awful just to see what it's like when you aren't being inundated with stank and spouted catchphrases. Maybe you'll find you still hate it but at least you'll know it's the game you dislike and not just the folks you played it with.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also, Cosmic Encounters is a great game. :colbert:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Maybe was. For its time. Are there any really old boardgames that stand up to modern game design? Maybe Aquire. Our group gets Civilisation and Dune out now and again. Crazy to think how old some games are now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
New (so now we have two) Miniatures/magic/krosmaster store in town. But they sell boardgames, and have a weekly boardgame night, to go and try new games and stuff. :dance:

That's... a nice effort?

(sorry for the quality, pic straight out of their web)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

New (so now we have two) Miniatures/magic/krosmaster store in town. But they sell boardgames, and have a weekly boardgame night, to go and try new games and stuff. :dance:

That's... a nice effort?

(sorry for the quality, pic straight out of their web)

I like the dice set for arkham just sitting there like its another game

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I've enjoyed playing Arkham Horror. But only when playing it with people who are very good at making quick decisions, unpacking and tidying so the game (including setup and repacking) takes under 90 minutes.

homullus posted:

Vlaada's Cricket 2 would feature an invisible ball whose presence is only revealed on video replay, at which point players realize how horribly they misjudged everything.

That's what cricket is basically like already - batsmen guess what the bowler is going to do based on how they're throwing it, as they don't have enough time to react to the ball in flight.

Sometimes they get it incredibly wrong

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

What are some good low stress solo games that have a puzzle feel to theme?

I love Mage Knight and Fields of Arle but I'm looking for something a bit shorter and less space demanding.

I already have Pandemic, Death Angel, Friday and Onirim.

So just something I can set up quickly and play for maybe an hour.

I heard some good things about "At the gates of Loyang". Could this want I'm looking for?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Liking unpopular things, however, is right out.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Selecta84 posted:

I love Mage Knight and Fields of Arle but I'm looking for something a bit shorter and less space demanding.

I heard some good things about "At the gates of Loyang". Could this want I'm looking for?

Look for coop games. They're almost all puzzle games that are best played solo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Selecta84 posted:

You could look into Flash Point. It's very similar to Pandemic, but I haven't played it enough to determine how much I like it yet. Instead of scientists racing around curing diseases you are firemen running around a house trying to save people and put out fires.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Selecta84 posted:

It's not much of a puzzle as other games but the new release in the Onirim universe, Sylvion, is a solo or 2 player tower defense card game. I tried it out to see if my mother in law would like it since she really liked the solo game Onirim. It's not bad. It's just a tower defense game with cards. One thing that is different is that you build a custom deck before playing so your primary defense deck is different each game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You could look into Flash Point. It's very similar to Pandemic, but I haven't played it enough to determine how much I like it yet. Instead of scientists racing around curing diseases you are firemen running around a house trying to save people and put out fires.

A friend of mine got it just before I moved away. I enjoyed the two games I played, and he still seems to like it (then again he was so into Arkham Horror he made a whole fan expansion for it)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Selecta84 posted:

I haven't tried Loyang, but I've also heard good things about it. Depending on your personality, most single-player / coop games might not be low stress because thy tend to be hard as balls! If you don't mind that, though, Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp is a very puzzly solo game with a pretty small footprint. You're trying to draw compounds to create an antibody for an ever-changing virus while the death toll rises and your team falls apart because Bob ate someone else's stuff out of the fridge again (may be misremembering details of the last one). I think there's an app version now, if you want to try before you buy. Compounded has a similar feel and the new expansion has a solitaire variant, but I haven't tried that.

If your looking for something much less stressful, I've yet to lose a game of Sentinels of the Multiverse. There's not much meat to it, however. Your'e much much better playing on Steam or iPad, where games last 15 minutes and you can easily control multiple characters. And at that point, there are much better chill games.

I'm also personally liking the unofficial solo variant for Patchwork, though it might be a bit too light.

Comedy Space Alert option!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MC2552John posted:

So we played our first Cuba Libre game over VASSAL as we can't get together in person until the weekend. This is how it ended. All the not-Government players were at 1 victory margin at the end, and the rulebook just says Syndicate wins ties, which means Syndicate won I guess?

The game devolved into Syndicate vs DR and M26 v Govt. The Govt went broke because his ECs constantly got bombed by M26. I was the DR, and I had trouble knowing what the hell to do. M26 figured out real quick to just Terror-Kidnap always, but he was biased and never made a single play against a non-Govt player. He never stole resources from the mob and never fought me over our provinces in the east. The mob and govt never really coordinated, but they never really had to because I never got a chance to screw with the mob and like I said the M26 player never cared to.

Yeah if the Syndicate is too powerful M26 is their natural check since Kindap fucks both their victory conditions. Government runs out of money fast, it's the mob you need to worry about. Honestly from a quick glance it looks like DR did pretty well, since they just need to hold ground they're a lot simpler than other insurgent factions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Selecta84 posted:

Barbarian Prince is pretty fun, and doesn't take up much space.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Stickman posted:

I haven't tried Loyang, but I've also heard good things about it. Depending on your personality, most single-player / coop games might not be low stress because thy tend to be hard as balls! If you don't mind that, though, Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp is a very puzzly solo game with a pretty small footprint. You're trying to draw compounds to create an antibody for an ever-changing virus while the death toll rises and your team falls apart because Bob ate someone else's stuff out of the fridge again (may be misremembering details of the last one). I think there's an app version now, if you want to try before you buy. Compounded has a similar feel and the new expansion has a solitaire variant, but I haven't tried that.

If your looking for something much less stressful, I've yet to lose a game of Sentinels of the Multiverse. There's not much meat to it, however. Your'e much much better playing on Steam or iPad, where games last 15 minutes and you can easily control multiple characters. And at that point, there are much better chill games.

I'm also personally liking the unofficial solo variant for Patchwork, though it might be a bit too light.

Comedy Space Alert option!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Hard as balls is not a problem as long as it's fair. How fair is Infection?

Edit:

Rutibex posted:

That's print and Play, right? How much work does it take to assemble it?

What I like about Arle is that the game is never putting pressure on you and you just try to make as many points as you can.

i was thinking about getting another Rosenberg game but the theme of Le Havre doesn't interest me and Agricola can be a bit punishing. That's why I was looking at Loyang.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Selecta84 posted:

That's print and Play, right? How much work does it take to assemble it?

Not hard at all, most of it is just a booklet, you only need arts and crafts skills if you want a nice board. There are no tokens or anything, I just use a dime for my character.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I knew what the link was before I even clicked on it :getin:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Good luck finding a physical copy, but at least the print and play is free!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Rutibex posted:

Not hard at all, most of it is just a booklet, you only need arts and crafts skills if you want a nice board. There are no tokens or anything, I just use a dime for my character.

Achmed Jones posted:

Good luck finding a physical copy, but at least the print and play is free!

Gonna give it a try then.

Thanks

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Broken Loose posted:

man he's not trying to force it, he just hates that he couldn't enjoy the game over the smell and volume of the other people playing, neither of which had to do with the actual game (and both of which are kind of an extreme experience)

Yeah, that's what I mean, I'm not trying to force anything. I have played Cosmic Encounters a few time in the past a found it to be hot garbage, but this was the first time I had tried Space Alert, and was disappointed by the group, not the game.

Kai Tave posted:

That being said, if your first time playing a game was with a truly awful group of people it can't hurt to try it once more with people who aren't awful just to see what it's like when you aren't being inundated with stank and spouted catchphrases. Maybe you'll find you still hate it but at least you'll know it's the game you dislike and not just the folks you played it with.

I have a feeling I will like the game once I play with less annoying people, as I like most Vladda games and I thought the mechanics were pretty good (after I started to understand them after a horrible rules explanation). They are having an open gaming night next Thursday, so I might go, but having met some of the members, i;m not holding out hope that my preference in games is going to overlap with them much at all.

Also, When I declined a game of Cosmic Encounters, the main organizer asked me why I didn't want to play it. When I said I just did not like the game, she got so mad it was hilarious.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
One thing I wasn't clear on for barbarian prince, do you "win" once you've accumulated 500 gold (without spending it) or just obtained 500 gold over the course of the game?

Also shortest game ever of it: crossed the border from the starting space and got stabbed by patrols looking for me

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

enigmahfc posted:

Also, When I declined a game of Cosmic Encounters, the main organizer asked me why I didn't want to play it. When I said I just did not like the game, she got so mad it was hilarious.
Don't really get those kind of people at all. Especially when they don't get the hint that you aren't interested in going through a thorough explanation of your likes and dislikes on game night.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

So I guess I'm never getting Puzzle Strike, unless somebody knows of a way for me to get it to Canada without spending 146 Canadian Dollars.

seriously, free shipping within the us but if you're even a little bit out of it, nearly double the price, shipping loving sucks

Boardgames.ca has it for $74.95 CDN; I didn't check shipping, but it should end up cheaper than $146 anyway. I find the random Canadian boardgame sites (Snakes and Lattes, German Games, boardgames.ca, etc..) are quite often competitive/better on pricing by the time you add it all up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

homullus posted:

Vlaada's Cricket 2 would feature an invisible ball whose presence is only revealed on video replay, at which point players realize how horribly they misjudged everything.

Really American football would be a good fit for Vlaada's love for decision segments followed by resolution

Just get Space Alert and replace the tentacled monstrosities from outer space with the Patriots and you're set

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

I mean, I can see some frustration if she was looking for guidance to suggest a more suitable game. But getting mad at people is silly.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

StashAugustine posted:

Really American football would be a good fit for Vlaada's love for decision segments followed by resolution

Just get Space Alert and replace the tentacled monstrosities from outer space with the Patriots and you're set

Blood Bowl by Vlaada

Make it happen :allears:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Blood Bowl by Vlaada

Make it happen :allears:

Don't you loving do this to me, my heart can't take it

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Selecta84 posted:

Viticulture is pretty good solo, and, as a bonus, is also good multiplayer.

You can get a deck of automa cards with the Tuscany expansion, or just read the rules and use the webapp.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I got into an argument with my friend last night over Ticket To Ride of all things. He said that he refuses to play with people who hoard train cards, and that it makes the game miserable for people who don't follow that strategy. I said that it was a silly point of view and to back up his claim with some facts, since someone who hoards train cards isn't bogging the game down or really affecting anyone, and that in fact it's a perfectly legitimate strategy that a significant portion of people use after they've played the game more than once. His counter was that not only should he not be called to back up his opinion with facts since it's just an opinion, but that people shouldn't be putting that much strategic effort into such a simple game.

At that point my brain just shut down and I don't recall how the rest of the argument went, but he ended up taking a walk and sitting in a corner reading the rest of the night while the rest of us played games. Normally he's got ok opinions on games and he's a pretty smart guy, but sometimes he turns into an obstinate old man.

I did get a 2 player game of Barony in though, and it felt a lot more chess-like, which is good, but I still think the resource tokens need to be hidden.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big McHuge posted:

I got into an argument with my friend last night over Ticket To Ride of all things. He said that he refuses to play with people who hoard train cards, and that it makes the game miserable for people who don't follow that strategy. I said that it was a silly point of view and to back up his claim with some facts, since someone who hoards train cards isn't bogging the game down or really affecting anyone, and that in fact it's a perfectly legitimate strategy that a significant portion of people use after they've played the game more than once. His counter was that not only should he not be called to back up his opinion with facts since it's just an opinion, but that people shouldn't be putting that much strategic effort into such a simple game.

At that point my brain just shut down and I don't recall how the rest of the argument went, but he ended up taking a walk and sitting in a corner reading the rest of the night while the rest of us played games. Normally he's got ok opinions on games and he's a pretty smart guy, but sometimes he turns into an obstinate old man.

People try to identify winning strategies??? And then pursue them? IN A GAME!?!?!?

Well I never!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Big McHuge posted:

I did get a 2 player game of Barony in though, and it felt a lot more chess-like, which is good, but I still think the resource tokens need to be hidden.

It's public information what you get and what you spend though, right? I'm never a fan of hidden points when the taking of points is public knowledge - it just gives me the urge to pull out a pen and paper and keep track manually. It's a bit of a lovely system that supposedly reduces AP, but in practice makes people take longer thinking about who is ahead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StashAugustine posted:

That's less a change of content than a change of locale.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chomp8645 posted:

People try to identify winning strategies??? And then pursue them? IN A GAME!?!?!?

Well I never!

There can be winning strategies that make a game miserable to play, but I don't see how hoarding train cards in TTR is one of them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crackbone posted:

There can be winning strategies that make a game miserable to play, but I don't see how hoarding train cards in TTR is one of them.

This is true, but I'd say that if a game is designed such that the most/all winning strategies are aggravating to play against then it's a flaw with the game rather than the players.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The solution is to make so many competing routes that if your game's balance is ever called into question, the amount of play that would have taken would mean your game is immensely popular

obviously

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's public information what you get and what you spend though, right? I'm never a fan of hidden points when the taking of points is public knowledge - it just gives me the urge to pull out a pen and paper and keep track manually. It's a bit of a lovely system that supposedly reduces AP, but in practice makes people take longer thinking about who is ahead.

Correct, which is why I'm hesitant to implement such a thing. On the other hand, the resources you get in Archipelago are also public knowledge but you hide them behind a screen and I've never had it cause anyone anguish over trying to remember just how much pineapple Mike has stashed away.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chomp8645 posted:

This is true, but I'd say that if a game is designed such that the most/all winning strategies are aggravating to play against then it's a flaw with the game rather than the players.

Even one winning strategy that makes a game lovely to play is bad design. Obviously you can argue over what "lovely to play" is, but I would say it's something that prevents the other players from playing the game at all (classic example: land destruction in MtG). I justdon't see how hoarding cards in TTR qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Crackbone posted:

I know a guy who insists that the robber making you lose cards in Catan is unfun so he never plays with it