Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

This part legit made me laugh.

quote:

Use cheddar jalapeño Cheetos instead

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wolfram alpha is nice for weird hypothetical questions, like the nutritional value of a Cheeto the mass of the moon:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=mass+of+the+moon+in+cheetos

It's also good for making up stupid units of measurement. Such as the League-Farad per Wink-Ohm.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=league+Farad+%2F+wink+ohms+to+au

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Embarrassed myself today a bit. A senior tech asked me to install a new server that will act as a sftp server using filezilla. I build the server. Find out sftp is supported by filezilla. I find another applications. Coreftp i think. Install that, configure it. At that point. I tried connecting to it from the outside. Hmm didnt work. Inside worked. So im wondering why our public ip isnt working. The senior tech comes over and starts looking at it with me. He says no that wont work. Look at what u are entering. I respond with. Yeah the fqdn. He then says. What does an fqdn need? Nothing hits me. He gives me another hint. Remember that company that had issues with connecting their internet. Where did the hackers attack them at. Then it hits me. DNS. I configure the alias record. The senior tech then showed me how to add an ip adress to our sftp server at our provider. He then configures the firewall to let the server through. I go test it again. Its not working. 30 minutes later. After looking at the forwarded traffic. Turns out i didnt add the application through the server firewall.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

flosofl posted:

I'm truly loving your posts, seeing you stretch and learn and explore. It's so god drat cool to watch and I want replace my unmotivated minions who will never progress beyond "monkey see light, monkey press button" with people just like you.

Keep approaching everything as a challenge and opportunity to learn and you're going to go far.

So I have to say your post has kind of helped inspire me to keep going.

I'm an intern right now in information security and I couldn't figure out why my mentor was trying so hard to get me kept on full time but this is exactly why.

I don't feel like I'm doing a lot FOR him but I'm asking a lot of questions(as in I'm asking "So, XYZ happened because ABC right? Couldn't we have done 123 to prevent it?") and am genuinely interested in learning and figuring things out so maybe that's why he's trying.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any pointers for picking up Lync 2013 administration in terms of UC, voice, and presence? Starting a job on Monday that involves it. They know I'm not that experienced in it but I read through some basics on it in terms of what the server roles are in a topology, how they work together, etc. in a UC book that focused more about justifying the cost than the technology.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sefal posted:

He says no that wont work. Look at what u are entering. I respond with. Yeah the fqdn. He then says. What does an fqdn need?

I couldn't help but laugh at this.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Speaking of- I'm finally getting a hiree under me and they're moving the security guy to under my oversight; so im going to be moving from a single role to leading a team of 3 in the coming weeks.

I'm looking for video/screen-sharing/whiteboard solutions as I telework about 60% of the time. This will be less while on boarding but I plan to keep that up.

What are the good options out there? WebEx, HipChat, and Google Hangouts are my first to eyeball.

Cheap or free is huge (procurements are very slow on larger items). Don't envision needing more than 3-5 attendees at any point.

Any others I should look into?

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 27, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Walked posted:

Speaking of- I'm finally getting a hiree under me and they're moving the security guy to under my oversight; so im going to be moving from a single role to leading a team of 3 in the coming weeks.

I'm looking for video/screen-sharing/whiteboard solutions as I telework about 60% of the time. This will be less while on boarding but I plan to keep that up.

What are the good options out there? WebEx, HipChat, and Google Hangouts are my first to eyeball.

Cheap or free is huge (procurements are very slow on larger items). Don't envision needing more than 3-5 attendees at any point.

Any others I should look into?

This may or may not help you much, but Google Hangouts has a draw feature that's great for scribbling freehand genitalia for your cohorts while you're bored and on conference calls.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sefal posted:

Embarrassed myself today a bit. A senior tech asked me to install a new server that will act as a sftp server using filezilla. I build the server. Find out sftp is supported by filezilla. I find another applications. Coreftp i think. Install that, configure it. At that point. I tried connecting to it from the outside. Hmm didnt work. Inside worked. So im wondering why our public ip isnt working. The senior tech comes over and starts looking at it with me. He says no that wont work. Look at what u are entering. I respond with. Yeah the fqdn. He then says. What does an fqdn need? Nothing hits me. He gives me another hint. Remember that company that had issues with connecting their internet. Where did the hackers attack them at. Then it hits me. DNS. I configure the alias record. The senior tech then showed me how to add an ip adress to our sftp server at our provider. He then configures the firewall to let the server through. I go test it again. Its not working. 30 minutes later. After looking at the forwarded traffic. Turns out i didnt add the application through the server firewall.

You should be more embarrassed by your written communication style.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that...Lotus Notes?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Subject: *ADVISORY* Bears
Body:
Please be informed there are bears in the parking lot.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This message was sent with Low importance.

mewse posted:

Subject: *ADVISORY* Bears
Body:
Please be informed there are bears in the parking lot.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bears in parking lot, please do the needful.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Bears are in the yard, unsure how to proceed? Please advise

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Kind regards

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pfft. Try working on mountain. Bears, deer, foxes, moose. I've seen them all.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

Pfft. Try working on mountain alaska. Bears, deer, foxes, moose. I've seen them all.

Fixed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Please chase the bears away with your dirt rake.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Why are the workstations for these bears not ready? You were e-mailed about it!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bears are having difficulty accessing lovely webapp, give them domain admin immediately

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Please chase the bears away with your dirt rake.

I had gloves. Not a rake.

mewse
May 2, 2006

go3 posted:

Why are the workstations for these bears not ready? You were e-mailed about it!

"Oh really, when do they start?"
"Well, they started on Monday.."

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

There was an email a couple weeks ago about an injured hawk in a parking lot, wildlife officers were informed and it turned out to be a young'un learning to fly :unsmith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CloFan posted:

There was an email a couple weeks ago about an injured hawk in a parking lot, wildlife officers were informed and it turned out to be a young'un learning to fly :unsmith:

Everywhere I have worked, someone would have just come out and shot it. Same with the bears, rabbits, anything else that they might throw in a pot.

loving Texas.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

We got these cattle prods, they're electronic so they fall under IT's remit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

This makes me sad all the outsourced people I work with are from the Philippines and won't get this reference. My roommate is Indian, though....

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Erwin posted:

You should be more embarrassed by your written communication style.

Yeah, that's pretty embarrassing. Was phoneposting and in my haste, didn't bother to proof read it. That still doesn't excuse it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sefal posted:

He then says. What does an fqdn need?

Asking an open question with potential for learning and working towards solving the problem is entrapment.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sefal posted:

Yeah, that's pretty embarrassing. Was phoneposting and in my haste, didn't bother to proof read it. That still doesn't excuse it.

it's the stream of consciousness hasty explanation, paired with the fact that the problem you couldn't solve resulted from you not thinking through the problem thoroughly enough that red flags it for me. not even the style imo.....

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

it's the stream of consciousness hasty explanation, paired with the fact that the problem you couldn't solve resulted from you not thinking through the problem thoroughly enough that red flags it for me. not even the style imo.....
Yeah I should have taken my time explaining that. But what didn't I think through? Forgetting to allow the application through the firewall? I forgot that and after 30 mins of troubleshooting decided to check the local firewall and found I hadn't entered it.
As for the rest. It's a bit out of my scope at the moment. I didn't even know what split brain dns was until yesterday after setting the server up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sefal posted:

As for the rest. It's a bit out of my scope at the moment. I didn't even know what split brain dns was until yesterday after setting the server up.
Split horizon. Split brain is something else.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think I'm going to hate executives forever with their stupid insistence on using Macs when their business applications requires Windows. It doesn't help when they buy the latest MacBooks that can't bootcamp into windows 7 and they don't want any windows 8 in their environment.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

KillHour posted:

This makes me sad all the outsourced people I work with are from the Philippines and won't get this reference. My roommate is Indian, though....

I see "do the needful" the most from our Philippines employees :shrug:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CloFan posted:

At our data center at my last job, every year these giant wild turkeys* would come to roost and lay eggs in the planters out front. Some poor bastard had to go out and place a big sign that said "DO NOT APPROACH. THEY WILL gently caress YOU UP" nearby. It was kinda cool. Thankfully this was in Denver, and not more rural CO, cause yeah. Those things would have been shot in a hot minute elsewhere.

* No, not the bourbon. That was a permanent fixture on our senior DBA's desk. Because databases.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 23, 2018

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've got a couple monitors in a window outside my datacenter; they haven't been used for years, but I'm wanting to get some sort of dashboard / stats display up on it. I'm not exactly sure what I want, it doesn't have to be useful, but pretty numbers and charts could be cool. Maybe like logins per DC, overall bandwidth usage, local weather/radar, etc. Are there any (free) prebuilt Dashbord Interaces out there that are worth a drat, or is it something I'd have to build myself?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

If they shot a hawk they would have also paid a giant fuckoff fine.

How would this happen? Is there a national hawk monitoring station somewhere in Texas looking at a huge wall map that noticed a little LED stop moving and burn out and they realized a hawk went down? Do they then dispatch a tactical hawk trauma response team to go out and see whats going on and the investigate the murder of the hawk? Was that hawk only a day away from retirement?

Sorry a bit cranky, just got done with a 30 minute conversation with my boss on why we should be ordering SSD's for all of our new laptops and desktops for employees. He's concerned about their longevity and thinks that they are more prone to failure. Despite all of the evidence and performance improvement I show him he just keeps ordering physical drives.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My teammate has been pushing for SSDs and has even had them ordered separately from laptops and installed by us. He took a lot of heat for it, and got told not to tell anyone what to order anymore. I haven't stood up for him because I don't care, even though he is completely correct about the performance benefits.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

gently caress spinney disks forever, FLASH FOR EVERYTHING.

The amount of productivity you gain with an SSD is probably enough that you would literally have time to burn down and rebuild your machine every week with a new drive and still come out on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The thing that gets me the most is just ignoring the data. It would be one thing if we didnt have the budget for it but we do. It's just an example of this company being stuck in its ways. They hadn't virtualized anything when I first started here. They were going out and buying some T1700 Dell servers for each and every little thing. It was completely backwards.

In any event this isn't worth me getting that worked up about, it's just annoying when you present hard facts and are met with "yeah but.....".