Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hi! If I'm gonna be in Taipei for three days, what should my sightseeing stops be? Right now I have these down on my planning paper:

-CKS Memorial Hall
-National Palace Museum
-Longshan Temple

I also want to go see a nice park or garden, any recommendations there are appreciated. I'll be there in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Chantilly Say posted:

Hi! If I'm gonna be in Taipei for three days, what should my sightseeing stops be? Right now I have these down on my planning paper:

-CKS Memorial Hall
-National Palace Museum
-Longshan Temple

I also want to go see a nice park or garden, any recommendations there are appreciated. I'll be there in October.

a night market visit is required
foot or body massage might be good
huashan cultural park might be good, depends what exhibition is going on there
the zoo might be nice for your park visit maybe
maokong gondola

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
So I just moved back to Taipei, and I'm trying to find something cool and different to do with a friend. I've done lots of the main sightseeing stuff before, so I'm looking for something a little lesser known, off-beat and unique. I heard about this place where there are trampolines and foam block pits to dive into, but I injured my knee a bit awhile back and I'm not sure how well it will hold up. Definitely open to anything within the city. I might head over to a pop-up shop for awhile, and I've got dinner plans, but I was hoping for some suggestions for activities as well.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
PSA: Even when you think you're driving slow and safe, grandma on her 125 will still find you, cut you off, and try to kill you on the rain-soaked lane markings.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

duckfarts posted:

a night market visit is required
foot or body massage might be good
huashan cultural park might be good, depends what exhibition is going on there
the zoo might be nice for your park visit maybe
maokong gondola

Thanks! Any recommended markets? What time of day is best for Maokong?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

Thanks! Any recommended markets? What time of day is best for Maokong?

Anytime but 2:00pm. That's when it rains.

Miraillenium
Sep 24, 2014

Alcohol is humanity's friend. Can I abandon a friend?
Do you guys in Taiwan using facebook page to share or exchange local information?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Miraillenium posted:

Do you guys in Taiwan using facebook page to share or exchange local information?

All the goons are in a big LINE group. There used to be a FB group, but afaik it's a ghost town these days

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
So, I'm hugely appreciative of everyone's info on Taoyuan and then later on the NCCU area of Taipei. Huge thanks there.

That said, some ranges for apartment prices given in the thread don't seem to match up to what I'm seeing online. Is that just because I'm only looking at English resources, which are pretty inflated? That's my first thought, but I figured you goons would know best.

Logistically, how would one get good deals on places as a foreigner?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Barracuda Bang! posted:

So, I'm hugely appreciative of everyone's info on Taoyuan and then later on the NCCU area of Taipei. Huge thanks there.

That said, some ranges for apartment prices given in the thread don't seem to match up to what I'm seeing online. Is that just because I'm only looking at English resources, which are pretty inflated? That's my first thought, but I figured you goons would know best.

Logistically, how would one get good deals on places as a foreigner?

My information could be out of date. It could also be because the stuff that's listed is listed online by more savvy landlords who feel like they can charge more. It could also be inflated because of English. Tsui Mama is supposed to be a good resource. https://www.591.com.tw is another good resource. Some issues people have run into with 591 is that it doesn't specify if the landlord is willing to rent to foreigners (a legit problem) and a lot of the cheap places are for women only.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
591 places can usually be negotiated as well. Atlas Hugged is quoting pretty much directly from my facebook rants over the past month looking for a place. I did manage to find a place on there, handled through an agent(you can tell if there is an agent because their picture will be posted next to the information at the top of the page. That guy may or may not speak English, in my case he didn't but I had a couple friends talk to him and then he communicated with the landlord and I got the price on my place dropped from 12,000 to 10,000(savings I immediately spent on a new 48" tv, midlife crisis at 33). The agent will charge a fee but it's worth it because it sounded like he sold the folks that this place wasn't moving unless they took this offer so probably worth the 5000nt fee he charged. Tsui MaMa was completely worthless. I went in and gave them my information and they emailed me 5 places, all of which I'd already seen on 591, and the woman in office basically just said "We'll look on 591 for you."

My advice is navigate 591 and have a Taiwanese friend call for you to ask about the places. You can use this link to search by district.
The sixth drop down on the page above the map is the price. Clicking the button next to that one with the magnifying glass adds two more drop downs. Click the second one and choose the first option "公寓" that means apartment. Those are the only two filters I used when searching.

If you don't mind roommates you can always find people to share a place with via one of the facebook groups such as this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quadrophrenic posted:

All the goons are in a big LINE group. There used to be a FB group, but afaik it's a ghost town these days

Not everyone.

:pops wheelie on Cuxi and drives away:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Nice girl scooter, for a girl.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anytime but 2:00pm. That's when it rains.

So I'll bring a jacket.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Even if I had my head stuck in the sand and oblivious to the uniforms the kids wear, I can tell that school has just returned to session. Half my kids are falling asleep in class, and the other half are sick. Thanks to the latter half, I'm coming down with a cold while it's still a high of 30+ outside. Freaking brats, I wanted to ride to Tainan this weekend!

Miraillenium
Sep 24, 2014

YF19pilot posted:

Even if I had my head stuck in the sand and oblivious to the uniforms the kids wear, I can tell that school has just returned to session. Half my kids are falling asleep in class, and the other half are sick. Thanks to the latter half, I'm coming down with a cold while it's still a high of 30+ outside. Freaking brats, I wanted to ride to Tainan this weekend!

Be careful dengue fever in Southern Taiwan

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Miraillenium posted:

Be careful dengue fever in Southern Taiwan

Thankfully nothing that bad, but I'm wondering if that's what one of my kids in my newest class had (he showed up, just came from the hospital, with a needle still in him and the tubing taped to his arm so the medicine could be administered while he was in class).

Wanted to get some of Dad's Olde Tyme Medicine, but they didn't have any Jack at the local bar, so I settled for Jim and a couple of shots of Jager. Looking forward to sleeping tonight.

Miraillenium
Sep 24, 2014

“Local Bar” in Kaohsiung

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

WHY DID NONE OF YOU MOTHERFUCKERS TELL ME THERE'S A NEW FISH AND CHIPS PLACE?

but seriously has anyone gone there and is it good please let it be good god loving dammit

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How about a steak place where is Taiwan good for steak?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

How about a steak place where is Taiwan good for steak?

What's your price range, and what kind of steak you looking for?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Not going to lie, black pepper steak on a bed of spaghetti noodles is totally my style.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Carrefour near me has frozen steaks for 250-300 NT that are as big as dinner plates (so big they literally cannot fit on my George Foreman grill.) They are terrible and very chewy but so so cheap.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've always been amazed by how the British are so into fish and chips and unanimously go nuts when a place appears in non-white people land.

Can someone explain the appeal to me? I grew up basically on the ocean so deep fried fish was a very common meal (even called it fish and chips despite being in Yankee land) but I do not share the same affinity for it and I feel like I'm really missing out.

I have never been to England tho so maybe it is better there.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

I've always been amazed by how the British are so into fish and chips and unanimously go nuts when a place appears in non-white people land.

Can someone explain the appeal to me? I grew up basically on the ocean so deep fried fish was a very common meal (even called it fish and chips despite being in Yankee land) but I do not share the same affinity for it and I feel like I'm really missing out.

Same reason fried chicken is great; it can be loving delicious and it's a type of comfort food.

Besides, it can be like any region-specific food in that it's a tasty food that's familiar to you, but hard to find. If I could find some toasted ravioli here, I'd lose my loving mind.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

For one thing, not just the British, for another:

quote:

Comfort food is traditional food which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the consumer, and is often characterized by a high carbohydrate level and simple preparation. The nostalgic element most comfort food has may be specific to either the individual or a specific culture.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
It's not quite the same, but I miss long john silver's and wish it was managed by non-retards when they were here. :smith:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

It's not quite the same, but I miss long john silver's and wish it was managed by non-retards when they were here. :smith:

Where I grew up in Florida, I moved in just as the Long John Silver's moved out. But we found Captain D's and that poo poo was delicious. Move to Ohio, find Long John Silvers, very disappointed that they use the same loving batter on everything. Lazy.

Otherwise, I'm trying to convince the owner of the local expat sandwich shack/bar to make a Po Boy, and the guy never heard of one before >.<

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

YF19pilot posted:

Where I grew up in Florida, I moved in just as the Long John Silver's moved out. But we found Captain D's and that poo poo was delicious. Move to Ohio, find Long John Silvers, very disappointed that they use the same loving batter on everything. Lazy.

Otherwise, I'm trying to convince the owner of the local expat sandwich shack/bar to make a Po Boy, and the guy never heard of one before >.<

When I moved to North Carolina the guys there took me to Captain D's. That poo poo is great. I grew up with Skipper's which still has some of the best clam chowder ever.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

That's messed up

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

YF19pilot posted:

Hm. I grew up in Florida, then moved to Ohio. I hope this isn't one of those things where I'm blacking out and being you part of the time. I'm not a fan of seafood, so I eat chicken and hush puppies at Long John Silver's. They both taste like fish. I don't think they change the oil any more often than they change the batter.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Hm. I grew up in Florida, then moved to Ohio. I hope this isn't one of those things where I'm blacking out and being you part of the time. I'm not a fan of seafood, so I eat chicken and hush puppies at Long John Silver's. They both taste like fish. I don't think they change the oil any more often than they change the batter.

Don't worry, I don't do much. Just work at the local theater, and occasionally have fun splicing pictures of full frontal nudity into films.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Not going to lie, black pepper steak on a bed of spaghetti noodles is totally my style.

This was the best meal I've had in Taiwan, it was made by an old lady on a bridge in the middle mountains. A stray dog hanging around, wintermelon tea, the tea plantations on the mountainside. It was wonderful.

I'm flying into Taipei in about two weeks. staying for a week. Anyone in town want to greet an Aussie passing through?

caberham posted:

That's messed up

:shrug: Po Boy?

wiki tells me it's a sandwich with pulled beef on it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kommando posted:

it is an economically disadvantaged male youth

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Kommando posted:

Nah, shrimp is the star of a Po Boy. Off the top of my head: fried shrimp, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a (kind of) sub roll. Comfort food for Southerners in the US. Po = Poor, by the way.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

Po = Poor, by the way.

You'll get no sympathy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

You'll get no sympathy.
Spare him his life from this monstrosity.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Kommando posted:

Beef? BEEF?!? BEEF!!!!

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, shrimp is the star of a Po Boy. Off the top of my head: fried shrimp, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a (kind of) sub roll. Comfort food for Southerners in the US. Po = Poor, by the way.

Pretty much any kind of pan fried or deep fried seafood, shrimp being the king, but a nice pan-fried blackened white fish is good, too; slapped into a sub roll with lettuce tomato, and mayo or tartar sauce depending on the place. If you use mayo, has to be Miracle Whip, as southerners swear by that stuff. And yes, comfort food for southerners living along the coasts, especially the Gulf Coast from the Florida Panhandle over to Louisiana. With a side of chips, a pickle slice, and maybe some cole slaw and a hushpuppy or two.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

wait I'm looking at the wrong thing. Cheesesteak, hoagie, hero, po boy. Region specific subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YF19pilot posted:

Beef? BEEF?!? BEEF!!!!

Pretty much any kind of pan fried or deep fried seafood, shrimp being the king, but a nice pan-fried blackened white fish is good, too; slapped into a sub roll with lettuce tomato, and mayo or tartar sauce depending on the place. If you use mayo, has to be Miracle Whip, as southerners swear by that stuff. And yes, comfort food for southerners living along the coasts, especially the Gulf Coast from the Florida Panhandle over to Louisiana. With a side of chips, a pickle slice, and maybe some cole slaw and a hushpuppy or two.

There is a loving reason you can't call Miracle Whip mayo man.