Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
So what specifically would one be missing if they start reading where the 1997 anime left off? Would I actually be confused or just miss some inconsequential side notes/characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You'd miss out on just enough that it's worth taking a look at what the manga had to say about it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, you might as well read the whole drat thing from the beginning considering you'll eventually (much sooner than you might expect) catch up and find yourself in a nightmare realm where there've been two new chapters in two years or something and you don't remember loving anything and need to read it all again to catch up/regain any sense of storytelling "momentum".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Megafunk posted:

So what specifically would one be missing if they start reading where the 1997 anime left off? Would I actually be confused or just miss some inconsequential side notes/characters?

You miss out on two allies that Guts meets at the beginning and end of the anime, respectively. The first one is a constant presence in the manga but he's not that complicated or hard to figure out. The other one shows up from time to time and is really important to the plot hundreds of chapters later, and the anime doesn't even give you a hint that he exists.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You also miss out on a ton of great art and some of the best chapters of the series. If you're going to read the books, read them all in order.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What if she regains her sanity, tells Guts she loves him and immediately commits suicide because of all the bullshit that's happened to her/them/the world. Would that be the most Berserk thing possible?

yes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Piriwi posted:

Guts has been carrying around his becchi forever. I can't see him using it because he should know that would be completely pointless.
Since Behelits always make their way towards their intended user, it would be interesting if Guts wound up "delivering" the behelit to the person who was fated to use that one.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Brought To You By posted:

Since Behelits always make their way towards their intended user, it would be interesting if Guts wound up "delivering" the behelit to the person who was fated to use that one.

I'm calling it now. Guts will be the owner and transform into a god, and then proceed to kill the other gods.

Probably not, but it would be cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hamelekim posted:

I'm calling it now. Guts will be the owner and transform into a god, and then proceed to kill the other gods.

Probably not, but it would be cool.

Didn't one of the godhand say having the brand means he can't even become an apostle now? Or am I just making poo poo up with that one. I think it's time to do a re-read for the nine thousandth time.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Nuebot posted:

Didn't one of the godhand say having the brand means he can't even become an apostle now? Or am I just making poo poo up with that one. I think it's time to do a re-read for the nine thousandth time.

Or he transforms into whatever the skull knight is, or something like him, and then they kill the apostles. Whatever happens to guts, in the end he likely won't be human at the end of the story. I mean the skull knight has a sword made of those Behelits. They can do some crazy things.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

I think Slann in the first few volumes suggests that they would like to see Guts become an apostle. It's not explicitly ruled out, but him being branded and wanting to kill Griffith makes it rather undesirable. The slug count did a pretty good job demonstrating that summoning them doesn't necessarily mean they will help you.

If you ask me I think the strongest possibility is that Becchi is for Casca. It just seems like the best way to emotionally gut-punch us without just taking Casca's agency away again, which I think Miura may want to be a little more careful of.

So here's a question I've been pondering about Berserk's end-game for a long time. Miura's added a huge list of prominent apostles in addition to the eventual Griffith showdown, but the godhand remain the sort of shadowy background deities who seem totally remote from what's going on in the material realm. Once Guts is done with all the mid-level bosses do you think we're actually going to see him killing the Godhand members, or will they just keep being malevolent demiurges playing behind the scenes even beyond the (ever distant) conclusion?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
God Hand only gets new members every couple hundred of years and becoming an apostle means Guts wouldn't be capable of defeating Griffith. Griffith actually being a person in the human realm and the changes to him and the world suggest he could possibly be killed though

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I feel like the way the current story is progressing is basically turning Guts and his troupe into basically a well-oiled demon-killing machine. It has been a while since I've read this so some details may be inaccurate.

As explained in the chapter where Griffith meets with the Idea of Evil, it's existence and by extension the God Hand and all the Apostles, their existence is created and and maintained by the collective beliefs of humanity as a whole.

Then we have The Witch and Schierke, who operate by using the power of the spirits who humanity used to believe in, like river spirits, elemental forces, fairies, and I think the mermaids in the recent boat chapters. Either way, these powers are real enough for both Schierke to pull Guts out of his berserk mode, and for Griffith to personally send Zodd to take them out himself.

Since their meeting with the Witch, Gut's whole gang has been armed with weapons and tools that allow them to do combat with Apostles and other beasts. Not to mention that Gut's Dragonslayer sword was mentioned as becoming almost a magical entity all on it's own, one that simultaneously exists on the material and spirit planes.

Then there's Skull Knight, who is heavily hinted at having been a branded human the same as Guts who has, through one way or another, managed to survive this long. I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't hold more secrets. Additionally, ever since Skull Knight hosed up and merged the planes, now all the Apostles and even the God Hand too exist in our world and can likely be killed just like the rest of them now. I imagine they're still supremely powerful, but the important takeaway is that they're reachable and touchable now.

And then there's that deal with Gut's and Caska's kid and who loving knows how that kid's going to gum up the works, but it will probably be important.

Basically what I'm saying is that pretty much this whole story has been building up to and leading up to Guts and his group being able to fight back against the all-powerful God Hand. I have no doubts that this is going to come crashing down around them one way or another though.

There is also Griffith's angle to take into consideration. I personally believe that his end game is to eliminate the rest of the God Hand. But that brings up the questions of How and Why. I can't think of any answer to Why at the moment, other than just him wanting to be the dog-dog, however I can think of a few answers to How.

Firstly, as I mentioned earlier, The God Hand and The Idea of Evil only exists because humanity believed that there was some evil force making their medieval lives incredibly lovely. We also know that the motto of the Apostle is "Do as you will", basically giving Griffith free reign to do as he pleases. I think that maybe Griffith is using this free reign to create Falconia as a beacon of hope, to give humanity everything they need and want to believe that the evil force that's been plaguing their lives isn't some invincible, unconquerable force. Griffith will be their Falcon of Light who will drive his radiant tallons into the heart of evil and dispel it from the world, and everyone will live happily ever after. At least until The Black Swordsman comes crashing back into town right up to the throne room to kill Griffith and ruin everything and drive the world back into hell and darkness.

Secondly, there is another possibility. The possibility that Griffith wants to personally kill the God Hand through violent means. We've seen when Guts & the Band of the Falcon descended into the tower to rescue the imprisoned Griffith that there are ruins of an ancient civilization there, full of hundreds of branded corpses. It was heavily hinted at the this was the same civilization that Void and Skull Knight come from. Also Ganishka proved that an Apostle can upgrade himself to a sort of Double-Apostle, although he used an artificial Behelit so it perhaps doesn't follow the same rules as normal Apostles. However, with normal Apostles, one must sacrifice something that they hold very dear. Griffith's goal from the beginning was to become the king of his own kingdom. What I'm getting at here is that Griffith will sacrifice his own dream, the thing he had always wanted from the beginning: Falconia and all its citizens to become a Double-Apostle with the power necessarily to kill personally the rest of the God Hand and maybe the Idea of Evil itself.

I'm also curious to find out how Griffith views Guts in the whole grand scheme of things. I'm interested as to whether Guts is a pawn of Griffith being lead down the exact path Griffith set out for him to achieve what he wants, or if Guts is a total wildcard who could ruin all of Griffith's plans, or maybe he's a mixture of both, a wildcard Griffith is carefully balancing the whole rest of his house of cards on and one wrong, just one bad gamble could send the whole tower toppling to the ground.

One thing is for sure though, no matter how any of this goes down, it's going to be awesome watching it all go down.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Skull Knight is hinted as being the former kind of midland.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

temple posted:

Skull Knight is hinted as being the former kind of midland.

My, it seems to be emphasized enough to be intentionally obvious.

Casca is a direct relative of the turban dude with the two Abobo muclemen, and Midland is a direct reference to Rome. Chuudor is a direct mistanslation of "Tudor".

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Megafunk posted:

The insanity that is the Black Dog Knights, and a scene where ZOD completely chimps out, read the whole thang.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Since we were posting favorite pages recently here's a few from the Tower of Conviction arc.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Davinci posted:

Since we were posting favorite pages recently here's a few from the Tower of Conviction arc.

That climax is sooo good.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

HIGH FIVE! :buddy:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Piriwi posted:

Nah... I think it's the one from the count from the flash forward at the start of the story. I think Guts held onto it because he thought he could use it to summon Femto and kill him.

It is, around the same time guts made expressions like this:

Now it's a more listless, heavy-lipped expression he makes whenever he sees Casca sneering at him

Izumi Konata posted:

Casca is a direct relative of the turban dude with the two Abobo muclemen
Where does that come from?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Postal Parcel posted:

Where does that come from?
They're both exotic brown people in a country full of anime honkeys.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Leaked Korean scans of 339 are out http://imgur.com/a/jEcFk
last page says next chapter will be out 9-25. I always believed, I never lost faith in you Miura~sempai...

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
http://imgur.com/a/Ey7Iy
Berserk raws for 339

e:f;b

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zeruel posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Ey7Iy
Berserk raws for 339

e:f;b

Don't call them raws. You make me sad.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

apropos to nothing posted:

last page says next chapter will be out 9-25.

Yep, one of the first things I checked. Please don't wake me up.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I decided to pull the parental advisory stickers off the volumes I have and the one on vol. 13 is just absurd. They cover up Casca's naked body, even using a bigger sticker than all the other volumes so it covers all of her, yet they leave uncovered the lake of blood, the throng of demons, the gouged out eye, and the amputated arm stump with dangling viscera :allears:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Didn't you know? Images of the naked body are soul rending. My condolences.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That makes perfect sense though, that's how art is usually censored in the US.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Somebody over on SK posted a rough translation:

Silat and the other dudes chase Rakshas off but he says he's coming back for Rickert at sundown. Silat wants to know why Rickert slapped Griffith and Rickert says he'll tell him but they need to help him get out of Falconia since it looks like Griffith wants him dead. They go back and gather up Erica and Silat agrees to take her and Rickert to some Bakiraka fortress where everybody's a badass so they'll be protected from all the hosed up fantasy creatures everywhere outside of Falconia.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I hope 20 or so chapters from now we see Rickert looking like Ken from Street Fighter to match the consummate Akumas of the Bakiraka

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

I hope 20 or so chapters from now we see Rickert looking like Ken from Street Fighter to match the consummate Akumas of the Bakiraka

Original Ken or Street Fighter 5 Ken?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I would laugh my rear end off if the series just forgot about Guts and from now on it was just Rickert's quest to become a badass.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

PiedPiper posted:

Original Ken or Street Fighter 5 Ken?

Since he has a ponytail already, Alpha Ken

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So what *is* Rakshas? Like, I realize we have magic mind bending things going on in this would, but most magic(when humans are involved) seems to stem from godhand and the like. Most humans, even in the Bakiraka(laka?) have comprehensible forms, even considering their fighting styles, but Rakshas is like that mask guy from Spirited Away. Is he human or apostle or something completely different?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I always just assumed Rakshas was an apostle because he seemed so keen on working for Griffith.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I always just assumed Rakshas was an apostle because he seemed so keen on working for Griffith.

Yeah I had assumed he used to be one of those Bakiraka or whatever it is that Silat does given their familiarity and is an apostle now which they probably don't approve of.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I had assumed he used to be one of those Bakiraka or whatever it is that Silat does given their familiarity and is an apostle now which they probably don't approve of.

Yes, he is an exile from Silat's clan.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is Griffith gonna be pissed that somebody went after Rickert? I imagine he won't be happy about it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OnimaruXLR posted:

Well, he also wants to kill Griffith, so, who knows. He's definitely more than an "ordinary" (quotation marks because of people like the Bakiraka) human, whatever he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Is Griffith gonna be pissed that somebody went after Rickert? I imagine he won't be happy about it.

For all we know Griffith is the one that sent him. He sent apostles to kill Flora and even if he didn't seem too pissed off when Rickert slapped him there's no reason to assume he wasn't just trying to look calm and collected. Not to mention he's basically god so I would assume he can figure out what his subordinates are up to. I'd say it's like 50/50 whether Griffith ordered it or it was just Rakshas taking initiative and being proactive.