Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's still pretty dumb. Though at least it's something for the top motards instead of given to everyone who passes boot camp like the Army and AF ribbons.

Most ribbons are dumb. I as one sailor have a negligible impact on if I will ever get a Battle E, MUC, etc. At least this one is more like an award and they have to do something to get it. Also the maximum number they give out is like 3% of the graduating recruits so it's certainly not going to be common. The only thing wrong I see with this is evidently former boot camp honor grads (didn't realize that was a thing) aren't allowed to wear it, which seems like an oversight or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

First I've heard of it. Top 3% is a small number, it'll just be the snitch toolbags anyways. But if they actually take into account physical fitness then I guess that's about accurate. But still my only complaint is that it's not retroactive and that I feel like it'll slowly becom watered down and then if you weren't a shitbag you get it

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

They're just going to give it to the chicks with big tits so they can cop a feel while pinning it on. At least that's what I would do.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mad Dragon posted:

They're just going to give it to the chicks with big tits so they can cop a feel while pinning it on. At least that's what I would do.

why would you have a ceremony to pin on a ribbon

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

why would you have a ceremony to pin on a ribbon

Its the Navy. There is a dumb ceremony for everything that everyone is required to be at and no one wants to be at.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think this should be the new ribbon design:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Laranzu posted:

Its the Navy. There is a dumb ceremony for everything that everyone is required to be at and no one wants to be at.

Some dickhead USAF Lt came up with the brilliant idea that air battle managers (AWACS specifically) needed a second pin-on ceremony for our wings, which we get about 2-3 months after our controller badge. The controller badge comes after almost a year of training, the wings after 8 loving flights to orient you to doing the controller job on an airplane. It became a whole big thing with a 1-star pinning on the wings, etc, and nobody going through it gave a drat except to be pissed off that they had to organize it and break out the dress blues again. The first one was an accomplishment. The second was a stepping stone in a long training pipeline that wasn't even done until a month+ after wings.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Laranzu posted:

Including the people getting it

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I just hit my 4th year as a civilian. poo poo owns. I'm just kidding about re-joining. My beard is too rad to give up now.

Do you know a guy who works for IBM and teaches for SANS?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Do you know a guy who works for IBM and teaches for SANS?

I know a few people that fit that description.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Goes by S14?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Goes by S14?

Not anyone I know then

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I think this should be the new ribbon design:

This is a thing of beauty.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Schlabbalabba posted:

Including the people getting it

No kidding. Last promotion I asked the CO to just read me the oath sign the paper and pin on the rank after lunch in his office but he wouldn't.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

No kidding. Last promotion I asked the CO to just read me the oath sign the paper and pin on the rank after lunch in his office but he wouldn't.

My oic and lcpo at my last good conduct were like "we have to have a ceremony"

I told him all I wanted was for it to be in NSIPS.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Schlabbalabba posted:

Yeah... Once my chief asked me to re-enlist him at lunch with no ceremony or anything. He handed me a folder with the paperwork and a copy of the oath and we were done in thirty seconds.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah... Once my chief asked me to re-enlist him at lunch with no ceremony or anything. He handed me a folder with the paperwork and a copy of the oath and we were done in thirty seconds.

Did that exact same thing with my XO, he was like, "Don't you want a ceremony, you know, for the junior Sailors?" Ha, nope.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'm always a big fan of "If the awardee, awarder and audience don't want to be there, don't do it"

The only time I'd opt for a ceremony is if it gets people out of work. Thats also the only time the junior sailors (or myself) give a poo poo.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I'm sure somebody in here has worked in a space that requires numerous badges and has a set up that holds at least 3-4 badges securely (but not requiring you to click open a case and close said case) and maybe even blocks hackers or whatever the industry term is from stealing your information from afar? Suggestions?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

germskr posted:

I'm sure somebody in here has worked in a space that requires numerous badges and has a set up that holds at least 3-4 badges securely (but not requiring you to click open a case and close said case) and maybe even blocks hackers or whatever the industry term is from stealing your information from afar? Suggestions?

Anal cavity is the only way to go. Or get a lanyard and not freak out over people stealing poo poo off a magnetic strip from 100 yards away. Honestly it's not a concern unless someone runs up to you, rubs their phone/device on your chest and runs away yelling "I've got the codes!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

germskr posted:

I've got one somewhere that's similar to this. I had four various badges in there, but only one had to show, the others were all NFC badges and worked fine. There are also copper-lined card sleeves if you're paranoid.

It depends if you're displaying, and if you have to tap/swipe.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Schlabbalabba posted:

Ceremony for a good conduct? I just bought the ribbon and started wearing it, then the new Chief found the citation for it in a filing cabinet with other people's awards/chits when he was cleaning out the office. He thought it best to not give the CO a citation that was almost a year old.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Ceremony for a good conduct? I just bought the ribbon and started wearing it, then the new Chief found the citation for it in a filing cabinet with other people's awards/chits when he was cleaning out the office. He thought it best to not give the CO a citation that was almost a year old.

It was nine months after the date of the award

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Null Integer posted:

Anal cavity is the only way to go. Or get a lanyard and not freak out over people stealing poo poo off a magnetic strip from 100 yards away. Honestly it's not a concern unless someone runs up to you, rubs their phone/device on your chest and runs away yelling "I've got the codes!"

If someone does that, punch them in the jaw for being loving retarded.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Null Integer posted:

I like how you focused on the least of my concerns :lol:

Honestly don't care if someone tries to steal, but I figured one of you nerdy techie GiPers would appreciate the effort.

Godholio posted:

I've got one somewhere that's similar to this. I had four various badges in there, but only one had to show, the others were all NFC badges and worked fine. There are also copper-lined card sleeves if you're paranoid.

It depends if you're displaying, and if you have to tap/swipe.

Problem is I have to display one, and swipe at least 2 others. The one you linked only holds 2, and one of the tap ones is much thicker compared to the others. It's like 2 in one.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/WITZ-Waterpro...proof+id+holder

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

I had one of these and the loving suck. also he asked for one without a latch. I just wear my display one on a typical badge clip and pocket my other two pieces of flair until I need them. badge holders are gay

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Null Integer posted:

Honestly it's not a concern unless someone runs up to you, rubs their phone/device on your chest and runs away yelling "I've got the codes!"

Please don't kink shame.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

germskr posted:

A pocket?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

germskr posted:

I like how you focused on the least of my concerns :lol:

Honestly don't care if someone tries to steal, but I figured one of you nerdy techie GiPers would appreciate the effort.

Problem is I have to display one, and swipe at least 2 others. The one you linked only holds 2, and one of the tap ones is much thicker compared to the others. It's like 2 in one.

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Badge-C...ords=badge+clip

One of those will hold five normal badges. It's pretty cramped at that point though, and it's not flashy, but it works. If you've got the the holes through the badges.

Edit: Got to hang out on the ranges during today's AWF events. Capped off the convoy ride with a 2-ship show of force right over the top. loving OWNED. Seeing a B-1 pull that poo poo must be terrifying. And I need a better camera.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 26, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I really can't stand the other officers and the chief's mess. gently caress the BS politics and careerism.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I really can't stand the other officers and the chief's mess. gently caress the BS politics and careerism.

BUT ITS SCARY ON THE OUTSIDE!

My LPO and Myself are the only two firsts in the division. We are both on record as feeling like the Navy is dumb and we want to spend the least amount of time at work as possible.

Chief is a cool-aid drinker tho.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Howard Phillips posted:

The SWO Navy is the worst part of the Navy. It's hard to explain, but once you're out of that community the Navy is a totally different place.

Don't get me wrong, stupid poo poo is still pretty rampant but there is not nearly as much vile, abrasive, soul-sucking, back-stabbing bullshit amongst the wardroom (and the mess for that matter). Try and drop a lat transfer package?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

BUT ITS SCARY ON THE OUTSIDE!

My LPO and Myself are the only two firsts in the division. We are both on record as feeling like the Navy is dumb and we want to spend the least amount of time at work as possible.

A lot of the chiefs in my building are pretty bad rear end. If you don't have any real work to do they send you home. #notallcheifs

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

:chiefsay: It's kool-aid, shippy.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

poopkitty posted:

:chiefsay: It's bug juice, shippy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sir Lucius posted:

A lot of the chiefs in my building are pretty bad rear end. If you don't have any real work to do they send you home. #notallcheifs

'in my building'

so you're on shore duty and the regular rules do not apply

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
we make our own rules

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Seems like every drat corner has a CPO selectee car wash thing going on.

Where does all that car wash money go anyways? Don't CPOs get a uniform allowance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think they use it to pay for alimony

• Locked thread