Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

poop dood posted:

Not a bad game plan. Did you have it fresh? I've heard it's gotten really good now that it's had some time.

Just trade comparatively nothing for a bottle of Hug the Despot, and enjoy a much better beer. And your Grrz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

poop dood posted:

Not a bad game plan. Did you have it fresh? I've heard it's gotten really good now that it's had some time.

Yeah, I haven't had it fresh or in bottles but it was on tap near me recently and I thought it was delicious.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Just get some vanilla and french press it into a bottle of BCBS. Or, find Vanilla ANTEAD. I found doing both of those tasted better than actual vanilla rye.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

wattershed posted:

Just get some vanilla and french press it into a bottle of BCBS. Or, find Vanilla ANTEAD. I found doing both of those tasted better than actual vanilla rye.

I wonder if you could get the something mildly similar by opening a Victory At Sea, pouring a little bit of whisky into it, recapping, and then waiting a day or two?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wonder if you could get the something mildly similar by opening a Victory At Sea, pouring a little bit of whisky into it, recapping, and then waiting a day or two?

Adding adjuncts yourself works great but I've never had good results adding whisky to beer. I love tossing half a split bean in a bcbs for a few hours, so good.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

LeafHouse posted:

Adding adjuncts yourself works great but I've never had good results adding whisky to beer. I love tossing half a split bean in a bcbs for a few hours, so good.

One of my fav combos is Lompoc LSD (dark ale) + less than a half ounce of cheap whiskey. I would even say <1/8 oz.

Less is definitely more.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah I thought you'd have to have a very gentle touch when adding liquor to beer that way.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Alright, I guess I'll give up the Vanilla Rye hunt. Thanks for the advice, guys.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

poop dood posted:

Alright, I guess I'll give up the Vanilla Rye hunt. Thanks for the advice, guys.

I don't know where you're located so you may not have a chance to check it out but Goose Island is in the middle of their Migration week event where they travel across the US and do tasting events. That's how I got to try it on draft recently.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

dphi posted:

I don't know where you're located so you may not have a chance to check it out but Goose Island is in the middle of their Migration week event where they travel across the US and do tasting events. That's how I got to try it on draft recently.

Oh, there's an idea. I'll be driving from Richmond down to Atlanta on the 21st, I might be able to stop in Asheville somewhere. I'll definitely be checking to see where they're going and when. Thanks for the tip!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

poop dood posted:

Oh, there's an idea. I'll be driving from Richmond down to Atlanta on the 21st, I might be able to stop in Asheville somewhere. I'll definitely be checking to see where they're going and when. Thanks for the tip!

You can give these a shot, too:
https://www.beermenus.com/beers/69394-goose-island-bourbon-county-vanilla-rye-stout
https://www.beermenus.com/beers/70216-goose-island-bourbon-county-vanilla-rye-stout-2014
https://www.beermenus.com/beers/69210-goose-island-bourbon-vanilla-rye

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Michigoons, i've been hearing about Perrin's No Rules a bit lately- any chance it's turding up a shelf near anyone here?

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

Michigoons, i've been hearing about Perrin's No Rules a bit lately- any chance it's turding up a shelf near anyone here?

On the east side of the state, it was a you-blink-you-miss-it kind of thing, I didn't even see it on the shelves. West Michigan is the bastion of "new money" traders, who bought it by the case and asked for ridiculous trades.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
So, could someone define "New Money" for me please? I keep hearing it bandied about the trading groups on Facebook, usually by the more irritating/lovely traders. It sounds like a pedantic, exclusionary thing to call somebody.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Slore Tactician posted:

So, could someone define "New Money" for me please? I keep hearing it bandied about the trading groups on Facebook, usually by the more irritating/lovely traders. It sounds like a pedantic, exclusionary thing to call somebody.

So far it seems to just be used against dudes that can afford poo poo they can't afford because they're jealous of people going to asheville and coming back with six cases of wicked weed or whatever specific example you can think of where you thought "drat, I can't afford that. I wish I could."

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 9, 2015

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You might be #newmoney if you...

* drive to Vermont and try to trade Heady for limited releases
* are more worried about getting the latest hype beer than just drinking something good
* buy anything off of MBC

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Slore Tactician posted:

You might be New Money if you...

-Insist on waiting overnight in line for releases when you don't have to
-Brag about your cellar at home while offering pours of a yearly local beer at releases/tastings
-Buy up as much of the latest release in hopes of trading for whales
-Hypes every bottle you acquire, then posts FTs of said beer within hours of saying how amazing it is

Contrary to popular belief, there are people who have been going to releases for years, but are still "new money".

Spanish Manlove posted:

So far it seems to just be used against dudes that can afford poo poo they can't afford because they're jealous of people going to asheville and coming back with six cases of wicked weed or whatever specific example you can think of where you thought "drat, I can't afford that. I wish I could."

Nobody should be jealous of somebody buying cases of Wicked Weed. Great beers on tap, terrible in bottles (and expensive, too).

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 9, 2015

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

-Insist on waiting overnight in line for releases when they don't have to

Holy poo poo. These loving people.

These are the doofuses lined up outside Forest & Main for 2 hours before they open. Meanwhile I'm sitting on my couch planning on picking up bottles 3 days after the release because that's how it always works (except for Marius).

Also, these are the people who recently posted "How early do I have to get in line at Monk's for Zwanze Day?" in a local beer group.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

These are the doofuses lined up outside Forest & Main for 2 hours before they open. Meanwhile I'm sitting on my couch planning on picking up bottles 3 days after the release because that's how it always works (except for Marius).

Also, these are the people who recently posted "How early do I have to get in line at Monk's for Zwanze Day?" in a local beer group.

I'm getting in line early again because I'll be alone and I want to buy Loonz for cash money like last year :getin:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm getting in line early again because I'll be alone and I want to buy Loonz for cash money like last year :getin:

That post was about you.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That post was about you.

Apparently Tom is doing raffles this year so when I walk out with a Blauw I'll just be #newmoneying all over your plebe-shelf-Cantillon-on-tap-drinking face.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That brings up another good point:

You might be a new money beer nerd if you post any release information on BA forums. The fewer people who know about a release through BA, the better.

It's going to be a sad day when Forest & Main starts getting hyped. Really underappreciated - their saisons are more consistent than Tired Hands, and I'd put them right up there with other farmhouse breweries in the US.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 9, 2015

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Back on topic, here's a good example of #newmoney from a local (loving Philly) beer group:

quote:

I'm trying to decide how many bottles of AleSmith's Reforged I'm going to buy today. Is this going to be something that people are going to want to trade for? If so I am going to buy the full allotment. I have a friend in San Diego that is going to pick them up for me.

quote:

Get the full allotment.. chances are the site will crash like usual.. and people will be in a mad dash to trade for it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I once arranged a trade for a beer while in line for it, I'm #newmoney

my friend knew I lived nearby to the place and texted me as I was in line already planning on buying him one

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

I once arranged a trade for a beer while in line for it, I'm #newmoney

my friend knew I lived nearby to the place and texted me as I was in line already planning on buying him one

Having friends and doing favors is the opposite of #newmoney

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

a worthy uhh posted:

Back on topic, here's a good example of #newmoney from a local (loving Philly) beer group:

Heh, I saw this post.

So it's safe to say that #newmoney is a state of mind and NOT some sort of demarcation between the I-was-nursed-on-only-the-finest-Belgian-gueuze OG Beer Squad and everyone else?

I'm considering removing myself from just about all the trading groups. It's so irritating looking at haul pic after haul pic and the usual thread making GBS threads from the resident neckbeards on auction postings. I've got my regular trading partners. Wouldn't mind doing a goontrade but I don't really have the ammo this thread seems to require. NJ distribution kind of sucks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
As long as we're bothering Michigoons:

Since I live around a place where almost all the Planet Series was scooped up in moments, I have a feeling I won't get a sniff of Bell's 30th without a stupid amount of effort. And I'm too lazy for that poo poo.

So I'm looking for a couple of sixers of it. Can provide Chicago locals and distro (we just got Almanac!), maybe something from the cellar (I'll have to update my list), etc. PM me if this is something that's possible.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Slore Tactician posted:

NJ distribution kind of sucks.

Carton, Kane, Spellbound (Yes, I'm putting Spellbound in this arena because I was there last weekend and I drank 3 fruited IPAs and they were all Tired Hands levels of good).

You have plenty of ammo to get stuff if you go to those releases.

But I completely understand not wanting to go to those releases. Especially Kane.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Slore Tactician posted:

Heh, I saw this post.

So it's safe to say that #newmoney is a state of mind and NOT some sort of demarcation between the I-was-nursed-on-only-the-finest-Belgian-gueuze OG Beer Squad and everyone else?
Yes.

Who are you?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Carton, Kane, Spellbound (Yes, I'm putting Spellbound in this arena because I was there last weekend and I drank 3 fruited IPAs and they were all Tired Hands levels of good).

I still have most of a case of Peach IPA in my beer fridge, remind me to give you some.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Slore Tactician posted:

Wouldn't mind doing a goontrade but I don't really have the ammo this thread seems to require. NJ distribution kind of sucks.

You could always trade for things that aren't whales; it's nice to get some beers you wouldn't normally have that aren't some crazy thing that you want to share. Don't people want Carton from NJ?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Nobody should be jealous of somebody buying cases of Wicked Weed. Great beers on tap, terrible in bottles (and expensive, too).

We're working hard to ensure this doesn't happen anymore. We set up a brand new lab when the production facility opened and have a QA supervisor who knows his poo poo. I haven't had any off bottles in a long time but we don't pasteurize the beer and a decent amount of the beers get packaged at a low carbonation level and finish off in the bottle so there will always be some bottle variation. If you do ever get an off bottle contact us and we'll do our best to make things right.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Question on beer shipping: I have 54 bottles to move from OR to TX. They are all packed in new styro shippers, but I'm concerned about sending that much beer all at once and risking confiscation.

Should I use multiple shipments over a couple days? Ship to a commercial address? Spread out the shipments among myself and some friends? Any other ideas? The boxes are marked Glass/Fragile (with actual stickers, my friend works for a glass company), but otherwise are blank.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Shooting Blanks posted:

Question on beer shipping: I have 54 bottles to move from OR to TX. They are all packed in new styro shippers, but I'm concerned about sending that much beer all at once and risking confiscation.

Should I use multiple shipments over a couple days? Ship to a commercial address? Spread out the shipments among myself and some friends? Any other ideas? The boxes are marked Glass/Fragile (with actual stickers, my friend works for a glass company), but otherwise are blank.

I have had FedEx pick up 8 12-shippers from my house in one day, and I have received almost the same amount in one day.

Don't take them to a shop, have them picked up. Much less scrutiny that way.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm back in TX already - there were some logistics issues getting the shipping boxes in time, so my friend is sending them to me. They will be picked up, that's not an issue - I'm mostly worried about someone at the distribution center getting curious. Then again, other than the drivers, I don't know how much human handling boxes go through.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

a worthy uhh posted:

quote:
I'm trying to decide how many bottles of AleSmith's Reforged I'm going to buy today. Is this going to be something that people are going to want to trade for? If so I am going to buy the full allotment. I have a friend in San Diego that is going to pick them up for me.

quote:
Get the full allotment.. chances are the site will crash like usual.. and people will be in a mad dash to trade for it.

So...yeah...this is still very much available and for sale. Only thing worse than new money is new money that's bad at the #newmoney game.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

As long as we're bothering Michigoons:

Since I live around a place where almost all the Planet Series was scooped up in moments, I have a feeling I won't get a sniff of Bell's 30th without a stupid amount of effort. And I'm too lazy for that poo poo.

So I'm looking for a couple of sixers of it. Can provide Chicago locals and distro (we just got Almanac!), maybe something from the cellar (I'll have to update my list), etc. PM me if this is something that's possible.

When is this supposed to come out?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

krustster posted:

When is this supposed to come out?

This week at the brewery, I believe? ExtremistCow has been kind enough to offer getting me a couple of sixers if he can. Which means I'll have ticked a Goon trade with 4 different Michigan folk! gently caress yeah, Goon trades.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
ISO: BA Sump
FT: Jester King Sherry Barrel Atrial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Imasalmon posted:

ISO: BA Sump
FT: Jester King Sherry Barrel Atrial

Whoa, figured that sherry Atrial would trade for WAY higher.

• Locked thread