Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm actually getting a lot more noticeable slow-down stuff than I used to. Strangely it doesn't seem to effect my guy really, but enemies, projectiles, and items/blocks will sometimes slow way the gently caress down like I'm in ye-olde-bullet-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

King Lazer posted:

Defeated baddies could sometimes drop health pickups that would automatically restore an amount based on tier (like pixels, but for HPs). These could be in smashables, too.
Gear or tech that provides modest passive regen could let players patch up chip damage over time while not affecting time-to-kill.
Kinda similar to the pickups thing, but maybe some weapons could drain an amount of health on hit. That would affect balance tho.
"Comfort items" like beds could create small areas of regeneration, so players could be crafting or building while healing instead of lying in a bed doing nothing.
One of those "science-magic" staves could generate a little medical drone that would heal the user over time but break the second he or she takes any kind of damage.

I like all of these.

A suggestion on the problem of monsters just being roadblocks that waste time: give them more interesting loot tables. Don't have them drop advanced items but even just the odd ore, plant, food, etc. could help. Combat itself needs some sort of reward the way most other systems grant them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
So the "normal" difficulty level has you drop your ore in a game with no minimap or way to know where underground you were?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea don't play normal difficulty, it is way more fun to be able to just tunnel furiously into the earth until you end up in the lava. Mining is still enough of a chore that there really isn't a good reason to play normal. Maybe if you have a hard-on for having to climb back out of the planet core.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

ZypherIM posted:

Yea don't play normal difficulty, it is way more fun to be able to just tunnel furiously into the earth until you end up in the lava. Mining is still enough of a chore that there really isn't a good reason to play normal. Maybe if you have a hard-on for having to climb back out of the planet core.

Guess I will find a mod that maybe turns it off I'd rather not start over, spent a few hours delving died somewhere down below, I know I can turn it off but I just started this and seeing a design decision like that scares me.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Just make combat like Risk of Rain. Techs are abilities. Some are useable with guns, some with melee, some both, scale off weapon dps

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

Yeah, revamping the combat mechanics will require a lot of balance changes out of necessity, both for the player and enemies. We'll be tweaking all of this stuff as we go forward with the changes.

What would your idea of practical non grindy recovery options be, out of interest?

This is cool, thanks for posting your thoughts as you go through. I think we can address some of this stuff pretty easily.

Well, before the Food cooldowns nerf (and now the new farming changes), I had a nice farm by where I set up home so every time I swung by I'd harvest a big pile of ingredients, replant the 20-40 things of each plant type, and head back out after turning them into my preferred foods.

Because it took about one banana bread to heal 1-2 hits with Impervium armor at times back then.

It was pretty simple, relatively fast setup (with a Mod that made stuff actually GROW when I was elsewhere or even off planet, back when you needed a mod for that), and more effective than Nanobandages or medical drugs (And those in turn, needed pixel costs.) Which would burn a hole in your pocket anyways with the rocket tag combat.

So, that's ONE practical non grindy recovery method. It did take a little effort, but the biggest timesink was getting the seeds in the first place. After that? 2 minute, 3 tops to harvest, replant, and cook 40+ food item's worth.

No pixels, no forging things into syringes or glass, no enemy drops or biome specific sludge.

TL:DR: Reverting the food cooldowns and farming changes would be a practical non grindy recovery option. It's practically built into the game already, since you used to be able to do it."

Some access to passive regen would also be nice. A large need for healing wasn't getting your rear end handed to you by a single target once you :airquote: "Got good" It was the attrition of every stray hit that tags you when you are traveling across entire planets. This is a sandbox, not a tuned pacing static landscape of an adventure game.

Even if you had pay cash full heals accessible, you'd still burn through a lot of them just because of how the game is designed regardless of how much damage you take or how hard the combat is.

EDIT: Unrelated to "Food", the new farming changes likely effect trees as well. So sounds like the new farming changes really put a crimp on my sustainable fast access log cabin materials.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 26, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Can someone help me sort out how to nuke the universe but keep my lovely starter planet? It's the only place I ever built anything.

I started up the game today to look around my ship and my planet house and check for update damage, so the universe file has a handful of "date modified" files with today's date. Do I just keep the one .world file and blow up everything else? Another goon tried that and it didn't seem to work, but I have no idea what other file/s I might need to keep or if this is even possible. :downs:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Why not just have inherent health regeneration if you haven't engaged in combat for a while or there are no enemies nearby? It doesn't have to be instantaneous, but having natural "trickle" healing over time while you're dicking around exploring would remove 90% of the problems with having to carry around hundreds of bandages and a loving bed, which I personally think is the most pants-on-head workaround ever. Just relegate stimpacks and bandages to in-combat healing and have beds apply a (fast) "well-rested" regen booster if you sleep for a while. It's a dead simple solution that would solve the long-term survivability problem without introducing a whole host of new ones. Don't make it a tech and turn it into the FaP ring that nobody will ever take off, don't make it a weapon effect that no one will ever stop using because it's the only thing that keeps them alive, don't make it into a random drop that players won't be able to rely on getting, just make it a universal feature that no one will have to micromanage or lose sleep over. Everyone will love you.

In a game where 3 hits from any enemy will kill you players need a way to heal between encounters, and regenerating health, no matter how slow, is the simplest and least retarded solution. Please consider this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

Why not just have inherent health regeneration if you haven't engaged in combat for a while or there are no enemies nearby? It doesn't have to be instantaneous, but having natural "trickle" healing over time while you're dicking around exploring would remove 90% of the problems with having to carry around hundreds of bandages and a loving bed, which I personally think is the most pants-on-head workaround ever. Just relegate stimpacks and bandages to in-combat healing and have beds apply a (fast) "well-rested" regen booster if you sleep for a while. It's a dead simple solution that would solve the long-term survivability problem without introducing a whole host of new ones. Don't make it a tech and turn it into the FaP ring that nobody will ever take off, don't make it a weapon effect that no one will ever stop using because it's the only thing that keeps them alive, don't make it into a random drop that players won't be able to rely on getting, just make it a universal feature that no one will have to micromanage or lose sleep over. Everyone will love you.

In a game where 3 hits from any enemy will kill you players need a way to heal between encounters, and regenerating health, no matter how slow, is the simplest and least retarded solution. Please consider this.

I've admittedly, given up on passive health regen ever being A Thing. Or if it is, some super slow 1% health per second or less deal, unlocked somewhere between the endgame and titanium as an armor feature.

At least "Revert the food cooldowns and farming busywork to no cooldowns and stuff growing while you are off planet just fine" is something they had actually implemented at one point.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Should just make new tech slots for light and regen, or something else inherent that you can upgrade with those new upgrade modules. Then you can actually put something interesting in the back slot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Got past the annoying mining mission faster this time, which is good, I guess. It's still rather dull. Staying at range and plinking enemies to death is much more practical than engaging them in melee when your character moves like a slug. The slow backwards walking is tedious and unenjoyable, and I still don't see what it adds to the game.

I also haven't found any diamonds, so I am not mining anything, because the matter manipulator is agonisingly slow and unenjoyable to use. Why do I have to dig through tonnes of blocks before I can get an upgrade that makes digging through blocks marginally less mind numbing?

Conversely mining for any other ores is largely irrelevant because I found enough iron and copper in the starter dungeon to get me past the mining base mission. Preferable to mining it but I am left wondering what the point in material progression is when I can just find stuff lying around, both better weapons and better materials. I spent more time clicking through the crafting menu than I did looking for the materials.

The game performs extremely poorly, going to the outpost is virtually unplayable from the frame stutter.

I'm encountering exactly the same issue as with the previous build, there is nothing fun to do. Everything is tedious. About the only thing I do like is building houses but there is very little point. I spent hours building a house and the only thing that moved in was some useless guide NPC that doesn't do anything. It looks nice but now I have a house that does nothing (terraria houses are more functional, each one adds a useful NPC and there are more functional things to place) and I have a bunch of new planets with very little on them that I haven't already seen. I've also run out of scavenged medical supplies and food so I will presumably have to start growing things which looks painfully dull. I don't enjoy waiting around for things to happen, I'm not playing a mobile game.

The inventory is still virtually unusable, tiny pixellated icons in a tiny window are not acceptable UI design. I can't find anything and having to click and move things around manually is extremely annoying. There is no "use from inventory" button that I can see so I have to drag things into the damned hotbar and use them from there which is stupid, there's no "loot all" button, nor any sorting system for putting items into containers like Terraria introduced in the latest update. For a game with as heavy a focus on inventory management as Starbound, the inventory is absolutely inexcusable.

Aside from things being cheaper, it feels more or less exactly like the previous update, and these are largely the same complaints I had as in the previous update. This isn't fun to play.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 26, 2015

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Installed update on Mac, after having uninstalled Starbound months ago.

It sat at the loading screen forever, then I noticed that as a bonus it had turned my cursor invisible, both inside and outside the game.

Starbound: even force-quitting is a click-spamming grind now

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Quest NPC told me to go make an armor set for a quest made it and came back and now he is gone, guess my progression is boned? This game feels weird like it feels like a standard adventure game as opposed to any sort of open world thing because you are on each planet for such a short amount of time, I go to a planet get the minerals for the next tier then do a quest then repeat the process. At first I got this because the colony update made me though it was going to be more like Terraria where you build a little village but even that feels pointless because their main purpose seems to be paying you pixels?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

socialsecurity posted:

This game feels weird like it feels like a standard adventure game as opposed to any sort of open world thing because you are on each planet for such a short amount of time, I go to a planet get the minerals for the next tier then do a quest then repeat the process. At first I got this because the colony update made me though it was going to be more like Terraria where you build a little village but even that feels pointless because their main purpose seems to be paying you pixels?

Yeah I agree. I'm not seeing anything interesting out of the colonists yet. Some more thoughts having gotten up to the dreadwing quest:
Teleports are way, way too expensive. Two handed weapons that allow a parry (they all should, it makes combat more interesting) take far too long to recover. It's an almost useless feature right now because of this. The farm changes are kind of tedious, I can't say i'm a fan of them. If I wanted to play a game like this i'd play harvest moon which does it better. That set of mechanics probably needs some more thought, at the barest minimum you shouldn't need to water plants more than once. Combat is getting pretty tedious because you fight one to three different enemies over and over and over again. It might be a good idea to make big monsters much more common and the smaller aggressive monsters far less common. Something that could be really fun is having big monsters have a "nest" or something that prevents most building in a wide radius. This means you've gotta go hunt a big monster in order to make a base. All healing takes way too long, especially with how frequent monsters show up. By default regs bandages should fully heal a starting character, and there should probably be a healing hotkey instead of needing to switch constantly. Planets are too big I think, it makes finding stuff get a little boring at times. I've been to five planets and i'm still pleased with all of the little set pieces and mini-dungeons, good job whoever did all of those! I've done six of the challenge dungeons and only one felt a little poorly tuned. They are definitely a good addition to the game.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 27, 2015

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

edit: also remove the slow backward walking it's terrible

OwlFancier posted:

The slow backwards walking is tedious and unenjoyable, and I still don't see what it adds to the game.

They really need to take this out. So far all I've seen is doubling down on design decisions, but this one is legit awful and makes the game incredibly not fun.

Cooties
Oct 31, 2012
Just started this up again with a friend and we've been trying out different dedicated servers. Is there any way to turn off universe chat?? I really don't want to listen to a bunch of 13 year olds RPing while I build my giant bug zoo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

They should just make the game fun.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Delaio posted:

They really need to take this out. So far all I've seen is doubling down on design decisions, but this one is legit awful and makes the game incredibly not fun.

I must agree that slow backwards is so bad.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Does anybody have anything good to say about the slow backwards walk? Anyone? A single person? I'm polling the entire thread, I want to find somebody who actually likes it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it would work fine in a game with combat that doesn't boil down to some ambulatory turd hopping at you

starbound doesn't qualify for that, unfortunately

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I love it! I makes the combat way more tactical! Kill me remove my bowels and fill me with fire ants! Haha I love Alienware!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Backwards walking is such a good example of how challenge design is misunderstood in this game. Instead of giving you a mountain to climb they break your legs so you don't get to the top of the hill too easily.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The majority of the mechanics in the game feel unduly stacked against the player with no real rhyme or reason, and not even in a fun way. In a weird, passive-aggressive "gently caress you, play the game how we want you to or eat poo poo" way.

Which is a very odd stance to take, given it's being applied to a goddamn sandbox game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

The majority of the mechanics in the game feel unduly stacked against the player with no real rhyme or reason, and not even in a fun way. In a weird, passive-aggressive "gently caress you, play the game how we want you to or eat poo poo" way.

Which is a very odd stance to take, given it's being applied to a goddamn sandbox game.

Combat feels like it needs two tiers of armor and weapons per Story Tier. Iron gear works well enough when you get it, but is limp for the Moon Mission.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Okay I wanted to see the new update so I reinstalled. Apparently when you uninstall this game it wipes your saves. I didn't have my save when I reinstalled. Now in most games when you uninstall it keeps your user config and saved data, but I guess when you uninstall Starbound it just wipes your whole starbound directory including saves and installed mods.

BUT I kept a backup of my whole save folder including worlds and everything. So I put in my backup and it loaded and works, except I can't find my base I built on a planet that had all my storage and everything. I've had to manually punch in coordinates for like an hour, watching loading screen after loading screen because having to watch the ship travel through space for extended periods of time is immersive. I can't find it anywhere. Is there any other way this game can piss me off?

EDIT: Why is the performance so bad again? The game absolutely chugs now when it was fine before. Is there some specific version I'm supposed to launch to make it not a slideshow? I don't have a bad PC at all.

Bilal fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 27, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bilal posted:

Does anybody have anything good to say about the slow backwards walk? Anyone? A single person? I'm polling the entire thread, I want to find somebody who actually likes it.

I'm argumentative to a fault and will find a way to play devil's advocate sometimes even just as a mental practice, but man, slow backwalk is SO bad. MAYBE if it was a totally different control scheme, like a gamepad instead of mouse & keyboard, it could have some possible potential, but as things stand it's super dumb.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Yeah performance is weird I've tried all of the different launcher options but this game brings my i7 +970 to single digits doesn't make any sense.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah performance is weird I've tried all of the different launcher options but this game brings my i7 +970 to single digits doesn't make any sense.

Well crap and I just ordered a brand new Lenovo Y50 just for this game, and it only has a 960! Thanks for making me spend more than $1000 on this awful trash, chucklesfish.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I'm argumentative to a fault and will find a way to play devil's advocate sometimes even just as a mental practice, but man, slow backwalk is SO bad. MAYBE if it was a totally different control scheme, like a gamepad instead of mouse & keyboard, it could have some possible potential, but as things stand it's super dumb.

Slow backwards movement is something that would work in a 3D game so you can't just backpedal endlessly while shooting an attacking melee enemy. In a 2D game where the backpedal direction is determined by where your cursor is on the screen it doesn't work at all- it's just so clunky and bad.

Okay, I have managed to find my home base and I'm going to start building a colony. I anticipate this will be fun, as I had lots of fun building houses for NPCs in Terraria. If this doesn't entertain me I don't know what will in this game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not fun. It's exactly like building houses with nobody in them except you get a pixelman that moves in and walks around them, and gives you three sugar every ten minutes or something.

You can build very attractive houses but they don't do anything, which given the point of the update is allegedly the colony system, is rather impressive.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait, sugar? gently caress, I NEED sugar, gotta build a house!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Would be cool if the colony types could be customized/tied to the world, so you could plan an industrial world, or just a bunch of houses etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

Wait, sugar? gently caress, I NEED sugar, gotta build a house!

You can find sugarcane on planets, it's much faster. They don't only give you sugar, they just give you a paltry amount of mostly useless and never valuable items.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bilal posted:

If you put "Sandbox" on your game tags you get a lot of leeway from the average viddy game player. I bet if those Early Access zombie sandbox games gave you a real life zombie infection, they'd post "Great immersion 10/10 people who don't like this change should get gud or get eaten." on the official comments and forums.

EDIT: I will be very surprised if "Hey, did you know the OLD method of no cooldowns for eating, and no busywork for farming (So long as they grow while you are off planet) provided reliably accessible healing materials?" ever gets seriously considered. See above comments about "Doubling down on design decisions".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 28, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Slow walking backwards is clearly supposed to make it so you can't run full speed backwards while shooting. Sadly, half of the ranged weapons have enough of a cooldown that you can just turn and run or jump over them or whatever and shoot again. The only thing it actually screws is fast shooting weapons, which are already really lovely so yea. Also fucks with fast melee weapons, while making big hitting weapons good because you can just joust.

Basically, it is A solution to a problem, but not a great solution. The better solution probably involves improving monster AI and skills.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just remembered I had this when I saw the update; do they still have the stupid quest-and-boss based progression?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just remembered I had this when I saw the update; do they still have the stupid quest-and-boss based progression?

I hope like gently caress they aren't going to completely redo the game AGAIN so, yes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It gets worse every time so agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes and quest npcs are disappearing for some making progression just stop it's wonderful.

• Locked thread