Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

I know this isn't a ford dealership, but I'd really like to Focus on you for a while. Maybe we can Escape to a fiesta, and then back to my place where we can Explore(r) our Fusion until you C-Max. I've been practicing Edging, so bring a lunch. This is going to be a real Expedition. I guarantee you'll get an SVT, or an ST at the least, as I haven't been tested in a while and it's itchy down near my Super Duty.

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sounds like the Mazda's smoking habit is probably worn out valve stem seals, seems that's a pretty common thing on these pickups. Never changed seals before but it looks doable for about $20 in parts... but since I don't have an air compressor I'd have to use the rope method (or buy an air compressor).

If it's running fine don't bother. Run the high mileage oil that supposedly conditions seals, or maybe even try a couple additives. I once had a leaky rear main seal on a lovely Kia Sephia that was getting oil on the clutch and smoking pretty bad, so I got some additive called "rear seal fix" or something like that and it worked like a charm.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

If it's running fine don't bother. Run the high mileage oil that supposedly conditions seals, or maybe even try a couple additives. I once had a leaky rear main seal on a lovely Kia Sephia that was getting oil on the clutch and smoking pretty bad, so I got some additive called "rear seal fix" or something like that and it worked like a charm.

I've thought about that too... Like I said, I'm running a highish-mileage 10W40 blend right now, but I may grab a can of some snake-oil at the Autozone later. I'll look for "seal fix" poo poo, I assume that's meant to do something with the rubber so it seals better.

Edit: I put Valvoline Maxlife 10W40 in it, they claim it'll magic up your seals. Maybe the PO had put some even more magic stuff in before.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 27, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Astonishing Wang posted:

I know this isn't a ford dealership, but I'd really like to Focus on you for a while. Maybe we can Escape to a fiesta, and then back to my place where we can Explore(r) our Fusion until you C-Max. I've been practicing Edging, so bring a lunch. This is going to be a real Expedition. I guarantee you'll get an SVT, or an ST at the least, as I haven't been tested in a while and it's itchy down near my Super Duty.

Well, that's certainly something.

I thought that the call was a prank call from a coworker, because the guy was asking what I looked like and when I worked so that he could come in and see me. The way he said it all was very unsettling.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
my first car was an old Ford Probe with the 2.2 and magic smoke screen on start up. would only top it up once it started sounding like a sewing machine. figured since i was constantly putting oil in it that i didnt need to bother with doing oil changes... or changing the filter. threw a rod bearing after 15k miles 😂😂😂😂😋

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Here's a full size GIF of Holdbrooks' avatar. It's very shiny and chrome.

http://imgur.com/8pAKvOS

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 27, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Motronic posted:

Obviously it's to get back into a bunch of debt. Wouldn't want to do anything like "not have any payments" that would then allow you save money until you can buy something reasonable outright.

My main problem is that I burn about 250 to 300 in gas a month at an average 16 mpg, plus a quart of oil every other tank or so. For which I'm reimbursed about 300 a month, depending on how much I actually drive. Fuel comp at work doesn't seem based on a cars mpg or local gas prices, only the cars model and year. newer cars get reimbursed more for some reason so that's an extra few bucks there as well. By my math, a new loan with similar payments on something getting about 30mpg still nets me an extra 150ish a month in my budget, which means I could actually save some cash up. Plus I'm fine with playing the debt game.

My other problem, and the reason I'm considering dealership trade incentives in the first place, is that Ive been unable to sell the rx8 so far. A trade in might be my only option. Only two people have shown any interest in it in the last month and both stopped responding after finding out the ac doesn't work. Every day increases the chance one of those apex seals gives up so I'm getting concerned. If I find a buyer for it, yay, cheap Toyota/whatever and problems are solved.

Anyway that's enough whining from me about my budget issues. Y'all are mostly correct and I'm dumb for trying to get something new in my current situation. But I can dream damnit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Think of how much more you will net to your income if you're not paying for a new fuckin' car!

Driving a new car to deliver poo poo is a sure way to decrease the value faster than normal ownership. Any civic will hit 30mpg on tank, so do your best to get a straight up trade for a civic/sentra/whatevershitbox.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idk, owning an RX8 is a losing proposition in itself. They're amazing handling cars, but the negatives outweigh the positives of the chassis.

In shocking no one news, Magnus Walker went too fast and crashed into his own truck; Jalopnik commentators still saying that the truck deserved it for how it was dressed.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phone posted:

Idk, owning an RX8 is a losing proposition in itself. They're amazing handling cars, but the negatives outweigh the positives of the chassis.

Having a good job, lots of disposable income, and a desire to own something that was fun instead of a good investment made me make poor long-term decisions 2 years ago. No regrets, the car was fun as poo poo. Its just not what I need right now.

Phone posted:

In shocking no one news, Magnus Walker went too fast and crashed into his own truck; Jalopnik commentators still saying that the truck deserved it for how it was dressed.

:drat:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm grabbing an ND next month to replace my way too practical Mazda2. I'm figuring I'll get about the same gas mileage, but it'll be more fun for daily driving and autocross. It's definitely not a Good Financial Decision, but it's far from the worst. Let's be ND buddies.

I actually saw a good comment:

quote:

Famous people with the last name 'Walker' need to avoid Porsches apparently.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's good to be internet famous like Magnus because loads of people you've never met will defend you to the death even though you were obviously being a loving retard. Imo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Bape Culture posted:

It's good to be internet famous like Magnus because loads of people you've never met will defend you to the death even though you were obviously being a loving retard. Imo.

gently caress u op Magnus Walker owns fite me

Realtalk though, dude builds some bitchin' cars.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I saw the last surviving 4th gen Supra in the wild in Wisconsin today.

Forgot those were a thing.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

kastein posted:

Yeah. No one does proper re-rustproofing after burning a million holes in the ecoat and primer with a spotwelder/MIG. And if the frame is pulled, count on hidden areas where all the coatings flaked off from the bend and were not recoated.

I would pass unless you are alright with the idea of it falling apart again in 5 or 10 years if rust is a concern in your area.

I generally don't keep cars longer than 5 years. I don't plan to keep this one longer than 3 or 4 . All I need is a small driving appliance to shuttle me safely and reliably 80km/day, for as little money as possible. I bring up rebuilt status because some of the cars I'm finding have as little as 20,000km on them, for thousands less than an older model with over 100K. The catch is that they are all rebuilt status. Some of them look fairly minor though (door smashed, air bag went off. Otherwise fine).

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's even if they get everything right.

On my last rebuilt-title car, I had these problems:
  • Bumper flaking paint because they didn't mix the flex agent properly
  • Misaligned headlight on drivers' side
  • Chunk of random steel left inside the engine bay from banging out the rad support
  • Multiple confusing rust issues on parts of the car that aren't known for rusting
  • A bent control arm producing excessive negative caster
  • Cracked OEM rim because the one that hit the curb just got banged out straight and put back on the car with a poo poo ton of balancing weights
  • Leaks from the door being out of alignment with the door gasket because nobody spent five seconds to adjust the replacement hinges
  • No panel gap in the front lined up properly
  • Overspray
  • Underspray
  • Orange peel
  • Broken airbag connector on drivers' seat; taking a hard right would sometimes cause the connector to unplug. Ziptied tight because I didn't trust myself to re-crimp something like that.
  • Replacement radiator after plastic endtank mounting pins sheared loose of out-of-square rad support
  • Bumper support crooked because the underlying frame horns weren't fixed properly on the frame machine, necessitating another complete teardown and another visit to the frame machine by a competent bodyshop if it was ever going to get fixed
  • Bumper cover over the support constantly sagged as a result of being distorted, eventually breaking a clip
  • At least a $7k loss when it came time to get rid of it three years later, after spending several months trying to sell it

Suffice it to say, unless it's under two grand, I'm not doing it again.

cosmetic stuff I don't really care about as much unless it's really bad. But stuff like broken rad supports, cracked OEM rim, bent control arms are basically showstoppers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

The '70 will be fine in CA, cutoff is 75.

Huh. Thought it was '68 for some reason.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Noise Complaint posted:

Here's a full size GIF of Holdbrooks' avatar. It's very shiny and chrome.

http://imgur.com/8pAKvOS

Does he crash into a bush after this GIF cuts off? WITNESS

VVV

Anything that deserves a :krad:, clearly.

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 27, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Ok, AI, we need to figure something out.

What kind of car is a "rad" car?

Obviously Rad Racer is the answer, but so far we've ruled out trucks ("sweet"), camaros ("bitchin"), and hatchbacks ("neat" and/or "fun"). Most motorcycles are "rad", but those don't count for this exercise. Other stipulations include 1.) this must be a car you would want to own, and 2.) it must be a car that isn't outlandishly expensive. For example, a DeLorean could be considered "rad", however as much as I'd like to drive one, I'd never want to own one.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

scuz posted:

Obviously Rad Racer is the answer, but so far we've ruled out trucks ("sweet"), camaros ("bitchin"), and hatchbacks ("neat" and/or "fun"). Most motorcycles are "rad", but those don't count for this exercise. Other stipulations include 1.) this must be a car you would want to own, and 2.) it must be a car that isn't outlandishly expensive. For example, a DeLorean could be considered "rad", however as much as I'd like to drive one, I'd never want to own one.

This is a rad car:

I would own the poo poo out of that thing.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

The answer is staring you in the face.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

The answer is staring you in the face.

THAT'S the Rad Racer?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bennyfactor posted:

Does he crash into a bush after this GIF cuts off? WITNESS
Nah, he pulls away at the last second. The mobility scooter as Ace and Ken hacked it up has no throttle control, just a house lightswitch for on/off.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

THAT'S the Rad Racer?

That is the RADical SR8, my friend. The title is in the name!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nah, he pulls away at the last second. The mobility scooter as Ace and Ken hacked it up has no throttle control, just a house lightswitch for on/off.

As it should be.

I wish I got some video of Sunday AM when SIF and ChrisGT were using it to tow a little trailer with the remnants of a thermited Subaru engine and a floor jack around respectively.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Dealer wont sell me shift linkage bushings without buying the entire shift linkage assembly for $350. So now I have to get creative with zip ties for a week while I wait for Boogers to come in.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

scuz posted:

Anything old and quirky, especially anything covered in wood paneling. I'm a hipster, deal with it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got an interview for my dream job tomorrow at 7:30AM. Wish me luck.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got an interview for my dream job tomorrow at 7:30AM. Wish me luck.

Try not to splash them, it will go better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm moving house tomorrow, so I get to book a Luton with a tail lift over the weekend with no notice. Gonna get reamed. Due to the lovely short notice only retired in-laws can help.

On the other hand, tomorrow I'll own a garage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Welp phone I got a new avatar

Idk who gave it to me but hope you're happy :saddowns:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

The Locator posted:

Try not to splash them, it will go better.

:iceburn:

Rad Car - mine would be some hot rod with an unusual engine. Like the BMW M62 powered hot rod. God that thing sounds like sex.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holy poo poo the new Project CARS DLC is pretty fuckin' AI. For $3.49 you get the RUF CTR Yellowbird, a 60's Mustang Fastback 2+2, a goddamn BMW 2002 Turbo, and the new 2015 Mustang GT, plus some dumb BMW touring car that nobody cares about because seriously you guys a 60's Mustang and a BMW 2002 and the loving Yellowbird :fap:

:perfect:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I'm moving house tomorrow, so I get to book a Luton with a tail lift over the weekend with no notice. Gonna get reamed. Due to the lovely short notice only retired in-laws can help.

On the other hand, tomorrow I'll own a garage.

So it was option 1, where poo poo went right? That's great! I mean, limited moving help sucks, but the paperwork is done?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

T1g4h posted:

gently caress u op Magnus Walker owns fite me

Realtalk though, dude builds some bitchin' cars.

My fav Magnus thing I've seen in the past couple days was the Jalopnik article about Magnus talking about why you should buy a vintage Porsche 911 over a Camry.. It was a nice advertisement and I wonder how much Mr. Walker paid for that article.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why does anyone give a like that guy? cause he scooped up a pile of vintage 911's before the prices went loving crazy?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

No clue.. I love the people that claim that's his hobby.. I'd love to have a hobby that brings in 7+ figures a year.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Why does anyone give a like that guy? cause he scooped up a pile of vintage 911's before the prices went loving crazy?

Because he builds some fairly rad 911's? Same reason I like RWB, same reason I like Liberty Walk, same reason I like Singer, etc. I dig the stuff they create.

e: Also, i'm a giant Porsche and 911 fanboy. So a dude who specializes in building sweet 911's is an instant like from me.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 27, 2015

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Just bought a 97 Honda Accord with 188000 miles for 500 dollars. I didn't need the car but the A/C parts for my WRX would be like 400 and the radio is hosed up, so why not buy a Honda that has working A/C, a working radio and a working everything else?

Doesn't burn any oil, had the T belt done w/ seals and water pump at 150k. New tires at 180k. The transmission throws a CEL occasionally, and it hesitates a bit in the 2-3 shift, but I've got plenty of time to source a good junkyard trans for it. If I wanted to pour money into it, I would love it with a manual and an H22.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I swear this Miata is trying to kill me like the last one.

This summer I've already replaced shocks, shock mounts, lower ball joints, the soft top, miscellaneous bits and bobs, pads, rotors and soon a radiator.

It wants a new front hub as evidenced by the visible wobble that I saw when I was changing the right front brake pad and rotor and the annoying wheel-speed thumping I notice sometimes. So I went on RockAuto, where they have a closeout on SKF front hub and wheel bearing combos at $26. Kick rear end! But they only have one left. :(

So now I'm buying Timkens for like a hundred stupid dollars each. Of course RockAuto doesn't ship spindle nuts from the same warehouse, so now I am calling the dealership and playing the parts-desk game.

gently caress you, car. I wanted to spend that money on crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tusen Takk posted:

Welp phone I got a new avatar

Idk who gave it to me but hope you're happy :saddowns:

shut up blue stymie :v:

• Locked thread