Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
I'll take a guild invite if someone has space - invite code is BIRDMAN_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I'm happy to handle Gem Boiz invites if someone in leadership feels like promoting donglover up from rabble; I've been playing too much of this drat game anyway.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone experiencing issues with this crashing on iOS lately? Been playing for a little over a week with no issue but I just had it crash twice during Arena fights and thankfully the second one was during the finishing blow so it didn't count as a loss but I'm hesitant to continue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jibo posted:

Anyone experiencing issues with this crashing on iOS lately? Been playing for a little over a week with no issue but I just had it crash twice during Arena fights and thankfully the second one was during the finishing blow so it didn't count as a loss but I'm hesitant to continue.

I had that issue and restarting my device fixed it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm getting an issue every now and then where a fight will start, but I can't do anything. I don't get to make a move, and the Turn arrow is blinking over the enemy team endlessly and nothing happens. I can't even quit the fight because it isn't technically my turn. I have to close out the app to get out of it. Really obnoxious.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Well, that sure sounds familiar.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
So, if you are choosing cards for the arena, don't leave the app at all. I got a text yesterday while starting the arena, switched out of the game to reply, and when I came back the game had chosen all three cards for me with no way to undo it. Hooray for all my units using blue mana (I still only lost once though :c00l: ).

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just pulled a duplicate legendary, is there anything that I can do with it?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Zotix posted:

I just pulled a duplicate legendary, is there anything that I can do with it?

I've got a few of these - is there any downside to converting all the dup's?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

porktree posted:

I've got a few of these - is there any downside to converting all the dup's?

You're allowed to run more than one of a troop, but it's rather unlikely you'd want to, so not really.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There are a few troops like Rock Worm or Webspinner that feed themselves that aren't bad to have multiple copies of. You only have to level one copy, and levels are saved even if you disenchant all your copies of a troop. I disenchanted my only copy of a level 5 common as a test, and when I got another copy he was still level 5.

That said, I generally try to keep an extra copy of everything Ultra Rare and higher, because I'd rather have that extra copy in case there's a use for it rather than the extra souls. You can go in to each individual troop you want to save and change the disenchant threshold to 2, and it will keep 2 copies of that specific troop when you hit Disenchant All Extra Copies.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Bandire posted:

That said, I generally try to keep an extra copy of everything Ultra Rare and higher, because I'd rather have that extra copy in case there's a use for it rather than the extra souls. You can go in to each individual troop you want to save and change the disenchant threshold to 2, and it will keep 2 copies of that specific troop when you hit Disenchant All Extra Copies.
Ok, and as a PSA - changing threshold for one troop, doesn't change it for all of them. I now have 2000 souls and a single copy of each troop except the Dwarven Miner of which I own 2. Live and learn.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I know I'm just frustrated but it seems like the game likes to give itself advantages as to color placement. Yea yea I know it should be impossible but it's frustrating when the game pulls out a last second victory when you have 3 heroes alive and 1 for the opposition. Sheesh.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I have the opposite impression: more often than not the game seems to give me just what I need to win even when I'm close to defeat. Sure, sometimes the AI gets a few 4-gem matches in a row, but I get those too and also a ton of prearranged skull matches that just drop from the sky. Even critical hits.

Treasure maps, though? Now those are unforgiving. In 10+ maps I've only ever managed to get one vault.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

seravid posted:

I have the opposite impression: more often than not the game seems to give me just what I need to win even when I'm close to defeat. Sure, sometimes the AI gets a few 4-gem matches in a row, but I get those too and also a ton of prearranged skull matches that just drop from the sky. Even critical hits.

Treasure maps, though? Now those are unforgiving. In 10+ maps I've only ever managed to get one vault.

I've done like 50 of these and I have no idea what this vault you speak of is.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm currently running the following team:

Treant
Lady from the treasure map kingdom
Valkyrie
Alchemist

I'm averaging about five treasure maps a day and I seem to get vaults about 1/3 of the time. I've only gotten one magic key from them.

Also, in my experience, the gamer seems pretty balanced as far as lucky drops/cascades between the player and CPU. I'd be surprised if there's any kind of weighting on this not only because it seems like a silly thing to do but it also would be a bitch to program. The game seems more than happy to let me come from nowhere and win or to let me flounder (if I'm running the above team rather than my regular team which pretty much never loses). I've only ever seen one really ridiculous come from behind win for the CPU but I'm assuming because solid play and and an oppressive team won't even give them the opportunity for it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I've been playing for a about a week or so and I have no idea what treasure map and vaults you're talking about.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Antti posted:

I've done like 50 of these and I have no idea what this vault you speak of is.

It's apparently what you get for matching red chests. I've never seen one either. They offer a chance at magic keys, though since they also offer a chance at literally every other reward type, it's not exactly a lock even if you manage to make one.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

rotaryfun posted:

I've been playing for a about a week or so and I have no idea what treasure map and vaults you're talking about.

If you have been playing a week, you should have all 18 kingdoms unlocked. Treasure Maps are used in Zhul'kari.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

rotaryfun posted:

I'm pretty sure the tutorial gives you one at one point but any time you get a cascade of 7 or more you get a treasure map. Note that matching two things at the same time still counts as one match for the purposes of your cascade count. Once you have maps you can go to the kingdom to the south of Broken Spire and select Treasure Hunt to do a minigame that will get you keys and currency.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Jibo posted:

Once you have maps you can go to the kingdom to the south of Broken Spire and select Treasure Hunt to do a minigame that will get you keys and currency.

Oh wow well would you look at that... I'm sitting on 6 of them.

To be far I only play like, 5 or 6 matches a day... if that.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 27, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I unlocked... Dark Song? The new epic from the new Kingdom. At level 1 she does 7 damage, double against troops that use green. Not bad. I will have to farm up some souls to see how she scales.

The troop you can buy with Valor from the weekly event looks very underwhelming, but I bought him anyway. Double damage to Fey is pretty narrow, even if a lot of players pick Elf for their race.

I tried an Alchemist / Valkyrie team, with Druid and Banshee. I wasn't that impressed. My Goblin team kills faster and the extra turns are more reliable. It would probably work better with the hero with a purple weapon to tank. Druid is pretty great. I noticed a bug though. I used Valkyrie's spell, got a huge combo (at least 9 gems in an L shape) I should have received a mana surge, and filled up my mana on Druid in one shot. Instead I got 3 blue mana!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

porktree posted:

Ok, and as a PSA - changing threshold for one troop, doesn't change it for all of them. I now have 2000 souls and a single copy of each troop except the Dwarven Miner of which I own 2. Live and learn.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. The disenchant threshold has to be set for each individual unit.

Regarding treasure maps, my strategy is fairly simple. This might be a little obvious to some.

Always try to avoid spending a turn. A 5-match gives an extra turn, and a 4-match is a free move. If you make a 3-match and then a cascade causes a 4 or 5, then you get the best result for that move.

It can be worth slowing down and waiting for the game to suggest a move if you don't see a 5 match available. If there are multiple free moves, you should go top to bottom to try and avoid breaking up free moves lower in the board. You should be able to build up several extra turns early in the game. Unfortunately you can only get one extra turn per move even if you get a dozen more in a cascade.

Try to clear out lower tier coins at the bottom of the board when you don't have a free turn to make. They can clog up the map and prevent you from making higher level matches.

Try not to make any extra Red Chests. Red Chests give the same number of Gems as Green Chests, so you are giving up a shot at 3 (or more) Gems for a shot at one Iron Key and better lower tier rewards. If you have several turns banked and lots of Green Chests, try to clump them all together so you don't waste Green Chests creating Reds. Vaults can give 2 gems or a Magic Key or lots of lower tier rewards, so they are worth trying for.

Please feel free to add any other suggestions.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

gromdul posted:

I tried an Alchemist / Valkyrie team, with Druid and Banshee. I wasn't that impressed. My Goblin team kills faster and the extra turns are more reliable.

Alchemist / Valkyrie / Banshee isn't about killing quickly, it's about racking up gold, souls, and treasure maps. (And boy howdy, does it ever.)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bandire posted:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. The disenchant threshold has to be set for each individual unit.

Regarding treasure maps, my strategy is fairly simple. This might be a little obvious to some.

Always try to avoid spending a turn. A 5-match gives an extra turn, and a 4-match is a free move. If you make a 3-match and then a cascade causes a 4 or 5, then you get the best result for that move.

It can be worth slowing down and waiting for the game to suggest a move if you don't see a 5 match available. If there are multiple free moves, you should go top to bottom to try and avoid breaking up free moves lower in the board. You should be able to build up several extra turns early in the game. Unfortunately you can only get one extra turn per move even if you get a dozen more in a cascade.

Try to clear out lower tier coins at the bottom of the board when you don't have a free turn to make. They can clog up the map and prevent you from making higher level matches.

Try not to make any extra Red Chests. Red Chests give the same number of Gems as Green Chests, so you are giving up a shot at 3 (or more) Gems for a shot at one Iron Key and better lower tier rewards. If you have several turns banked and lots of Green Chests, try to clump them all together so you don't waste Green Chests creating Reds. Vaults can give 2 gems or a Magic Key or lots of lower tier rewards, so they are worth trying for.

Please feel free to add any other suggestions.

This is how I do it except for the chest thing because I don't care enough about optimizing my gem output. You honestly will be more limited by the amount you can make rather than needing to avoid matching them.

Also while clearing out lower tier rewards on the bottom is important, I would say that it's more important to try and set up future free turns if possible. If you don't have a free turn available, you may be able to manipulate the board into giving you one on your next match or two.

Also if there is no optimal play at all, simply go for whatever is going to give you the most cascades in hopes of getting a lucky free turn, which again may seem obvious.

It's important to note that next piece that your match generates will be in the position of the one you moved, so it's easier to manipulate the board if you keep this in mind.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I didn't even know there were other goons playing this game until recently.

If there's space in a guild, my invite code is KEVOS SETZER.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DaveWoo posted:

Alchemist / Valkyrie / Banshee isn't about killing quickly, it's about racking up gold, souls, and treasure maps. (And boy howdy, does it ever.)

Also if you can throw Treeant into the mix then you will have a killing machine at your disposal. I've gotten one turn wins off of the team I mentioned above.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The game does give the player better odds of bullshit matches than the ai. It used to be even but after enough complaints they give the AI worse luck.

Also if you go the gems of war website you can see the level 15 stats of every unit, every weapon, and hero stats. You don't need to level stuff to max to see if it is good.

Edit: dark song (the new kingdom epic) does magic+6 damage and her level 15 magic is 4. And the link http://gemsofwar.com/game-guide-troop-list/

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 27, 2015

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Jibo posted:

This is how I do it except for the chest thing because I don't care enough about optimizing my gem output. You honestly will be more limited by the amount you can make rather than needing to avoid matching them.

Also while clearing out lower tier rewards on the bottom is important, I would say that it's more important to try and set up future free turns if possible. If you don't have a free turn available, you may be able to manipulate the board into giving you one on your next match or two.

Also if there is no optimal play at all, simply go for whatever is going to give you the most cascades in hopes of getting a lucky free turn, which again may seem obvious.

It's important to note that next piece that your match generates will be in the position of the one you moved, so it's easier to manipulate the board if you keep this in mind.

Yeah I really only avoid trying to make Red Chests towards the end of the game when it looks like I won't make a/another vault. It's definitely optional if you don't really care about maximizing gems.

Setting up cascades and free turns is definitely important, and I kind of mentally lumped that in to the avoid spending turns part.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Bandire posted:

Not your fault at all. Just carelessness on my part.

edit: Also - I had no idea that the red chests didn't give better loot than green. Thanks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Bandire posted:

Treasure Hunting

When possible, match near the bottom (leads to more combos above, sets up more 4 & 5 matches above). Hence, try to tidy up the bottom ranks (very hard to remove copper/silvers at the bottom that get trapped under treasure boxes).

Avoid matching on the edges (lower combo yield than other rows).

Clear out green chests if they become impediments. If possible, free match treasure chests (e.g. vertical match treasure bags to drop a treasure chest into a T - T T formation or something).

Try to set up 5 matches instead of just popping 4s. A 3-match set-up + 5-match follow-up gains a turn vs. 4-match + 3-match follow-up.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

porktree posted:

Not your fault at all. Just carelessness on my part.

edit: Also - I had no idea that the red chests didn't give better loot than green. Thanks.

I was trying to find the chart that Toshimo just posted. The lower tier rewards get better. It's really only relevant for maximizing gems.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

All these alchemist-having posts... :argh:

I want an alchemist.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

So what is everyone using as the fourth troop with the Alchemist/Banshee/Valkyrie trio? I've been using Tau, and he gets charged up huge but doesn't live long.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Kevos Setzer posted:

I didn't even know there were other goons playing this game until recently.

If there's space in a guild, my invite code is KEVOS SETZER.

Invite sent.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Bandire posted:

So what is everyone using as the fourth troop with the Alchemist/Banshee/Valkyrie trio? I've been using Tau, and he gets charged up huge but doesn't live long.

Treant - He uses blue and green to wipe all brown from the board for a huge attack and armor buff.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bandire posted:

I use Finley, to get those pesky skulls off of the board so I can keep comboing.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Any goon guilds have openings? I'm playing through pretty regularly, though I'm still plowing through story mode. My code, surprisingly enough, is DUCKFARTS.
your guild better have a funny name though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Alright finally got this installed on my PC instead of my phone.

EVILELMO_1 please invite :)