Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does Garth ever become worth a drat or is he forever underwhelming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The latter. He specializes in status attacks and there are several party members who do that already and have more versatility to boot.

Fuckin Terry Hintz can shut down enemies better than Garth can.

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Amgard posted:

Back on topic: I'm doing a Pain Mode run for the cheevo. Assuming I don't want to use the cheap-as-poo poo crew (Birdie, Harvey, Fly, Carp), what's an interesting and fun setup that you guys have discovered? Running Terry/Beastborn/Tiger and I'm pretty eh on it.

Bo is my favorite support character because of his sheer consistency in buffs/debuffs/healing, and Shockmaster is good despite only having one attack + items.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

homeless poster posted:

i don't know man, that sounds like the disasterous "legitimate rape" talking point to me. if you can't see that there isn't a forgivable context for raping someone then i don't know what to say. doing something because you're coerced or held at gun point or whatever is still the cowardly way out, and i don't feel like that excuses the action.

still though, knee-jerk exceptionalism for rape. amazing :tipshat:

This is really something that has been missing from Games. D&D style about posting about how they'd totally do a sweet backflip kick and save everyone when given a gun and told to kill 1 of 2 people or both will be killed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Man you guys really went to town on that whole last scene stuff.

Having to replay the end fights two more times for the additional endings was incredibly dumb. Hope you're good at timing her attacks or the fight will go on forever.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's the joy mutant song in LtJ?

On a broader plot scale, I wonder what percentage of Olatheans have taken Joy, and how many people are left alive after Buddy's campaign ended.

Rando's not dead. He's just... Resting. :smith:

Internet Kraken posted:

Apparently Garth is based on a kickstarter backer Ding doesn't really like. :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

lol that's awesome

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Anatharon posted:

This it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqWRA2bt3E

Full playlist here

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Anatharon posted:

On a broader plot scale, I wonder what percentage of Olatheans have taken Joy, and how many people are left alive after Buddy's campaign ended.

Rando's not dead. He's just... Resting. :smith:

he's not dead! you join him and brad and become the queen and live happily ever after :yaycloud:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
So... dingaling stated on stream yesterday that the ending he REALLY wanted to do for Lisa the Joyful but opted not to cause it might piss off the fans was to have Buddy try to hug mutant Brad during the hallucinations at the end and then to just have mutant Brad bite off her head. The End. . He said it might be the canon Pain mode ending should he go back to do one.

Huh

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

yum posted:

So... dingaling stated on stream yesterday that the ending he REALLY wanted to do for Lisa the Joyful but opted not to cause it might piss off the fans was to have Buddy try to hug mutant Brad during the hallucinations at the end and then to just have mutant Brad bite off her head. The End. . He said it might be the canon Pain mode ending should he go back to do one.

Huh

How fitting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So are there shops?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kurtofan posted:

So are there shops?

Eat Joy like it's going out of style. There are two shops, neither of which are worth using.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

So are there shops?

Don't bother, strip Rando of his gear for Buddy. She'll make better use of it.Take joy or suffer the fate of really long boring battles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The goats speak wisdom but you really should use the shops, there's nowhere else to spend your Mags. And conserve your Joy until the game's second half, because the enemies get a good bit tougher at that point.

You need to learn Buddy's timed hits with or without Joy abuse, though. The Bleed effect is essential for getting through boss fights.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

yum posted:

Huh

Do you have a link to the stream?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Doctor Goat posted:

Eat Joy like it's going out of style. There are two shops, neither of which are worth using.

but drugs are bad :ohdear:

Oxxidation posted:

The goats speak wisdom but you really should use the shops, there's nowhere else to spend your Mags. And conserve your Joy until the game's second half, because the enemies get a good bit tougher at that point.

The second half is the second area with the last three names?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

but drugs are bad :ohdear:

You'll go insane without excessive doses.

I don't think you really need to save them, just use em only when you know you're can be one-shotted and then use any consumables until the joy status wears off.

Save full heal consumables for battle, top off your health with soup or the lower ones between battle.

Kurtofan posted:

The second half is the second area with the last three names?
Yup, I started using joy at the last one. Big L. Just because i was out of healing options.

Now I just chug the remaining 25 pills until the end game.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

yum posted:

Huh

http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=04032006

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Where do I find the second name, shady something?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Golden Goat posted:

Don't bother, strip Rando of his gear for Buddy. She'll make better use of it.Take joy or suffer the fate of really long boring battles.

Taking Rando's gear is the best tip you can give someone.

But yeah the combat is awful and there's no point to mags besides Jerky, so buy a ton and use it for healing when you're not actively fighting bosses.

I bought a bunch of perfume like a huge idiot on my run :D

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

Where do I find the second name, shady something?

Fall down the pit in front of the 2nd hub save point with the red symbol over it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

pon alien posted:

Fall down the pit in front of the 2nd hub save point with the red symbol over it.

Thanks, uh it's pretty laggy.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, uh it's pretty laggy.

It is incredibly poorly designed and the sound effects alone should have made dingaling rework it from scratch after seeing what it became.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Doctor Goat posted:

It is incredibly poorly designed and the sound effects alone should have made dingaling rework it from scratch after seeing what it became.

yeah it's loving unplayable, even the fights are affected.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

yeah it's loving unplayable, even the fights are affected.

That sounds like an issue on your end. That part ran fine for me (tho the repeated sound effects nearly drove me mad).

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Do you have a link to the stream?

www twitch tv/unsanitylive was the streamer. I only listened to a little bit, they go off tangent a lot. Tons of wrestle chat.

Dingalings a loving hyperactive dude

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

yum posted:

www twitch tv/unsanitylive was the streamer. I only listened to a little bit, they go off tangent a lot. Tons of wrestle chat.

Dingalings a loving hyperactive dude

One of the funniest things in the stream:

Dingaling posted:

Actually I patched the game today and added in some more of those pink messages that were basically saying in all caps "USE JOY" cause people were complaining the game was too hard because there's no healing items. HEY DICKHEADS YOU GET LIKE 10 PIECES OF JOY IN YOUR INVENTORY, it's the best healing item in the game! But then my 'clientele' are like 'oooh well it says to use it so I better not use it'. So whatever."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The moral of LISA; everything is terrible forever. Have fun!

Anatharon posted:

One of the funniest things in the stream:

Well the first game created the expectation that we shouldn't use joy because it gives you the bad ending!

You know the bad ending that's...almost identical to the regular one. So taking joy doesn't really change anything in either game and you're just punishing yourself for not doing it.

gently caress :suicide:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 27, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
To be fair, the base game strongly discourages the use of Joy, so I'm not sure why he's surprised at people's hesitance. I actually think it would be cool if there was a slight chance that your party members could mutate every time you gave them Joy.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

To be fair, the base game strongly discourages the use of Joy, so I'm not sure why he's surprised at people's hesitance. I actually think it would be cool if there was a slight chance that your party members could mutate every time you gave them Joy.

Yeah, he doesn't really have a right to get mad over people being hesitant to use Joy in the Joyful when the first game basically told you to not use it ever.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
http://www.twitch.tv/unsanitylive/v/13008747

This is the one, skip in like 20 minutes when Dingaling joins in a skype call.

That dude's awesome. :v:

He hates Game of Thrones, Mortal Kombat and The Witcher. :allears:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 27, 2015

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013
I can't get the Rando's body hallucination to trigger. so I can get the Father ending. Am I doing something wrong because I wore the Joy mask while climbing down to Rando's body. It it because I held onto him? I already visited the lab and stuff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I watched Slowbeef's LP of Lisa, (I bought it because it was that good,) should I still play through it? Does it benefit from multiple play throughs?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

If I watched Slowbeef's LP of Lisa, (I bought it because it was that good,) should I still play through it? Does it benefit from multiple play throughs?

From a story perspective? No, the game is exceedingly linear and all the options presented have minimal effect on the story (at best it adds a boss fight through normal play, and 2-3 new ones in Pain mode).

From a gameplay perspective? The game throws a LOT of characters at you, and does a good job of making gameplay robust enough that going back through the game with a different approach adds some spice to it. Unfortunately, the game isn't hard so I'd say the replayability is dependent on whether you prefer challenge or experimentation. You can get both with Pain Mode I suppose.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Anatharon posted:

Also, small thing: if you take off the Rando mask you can kill shopkeepers who drop tons of money and EXP, but then, you know. No shop.

oh poo poo, that's why the shopkeeper attacked me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Genocyber posted:

That sounds like an issue on your end. That part ran fine for me (tho the repeated sound effects nearly drove me mad).

It was pretty bad for me too, even thought the rest of the game ran perfectly fine in the legacy version. Wouldn't be surprised if it was all the projectiles straining the RPG Maker engine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

It was pretty bad for me too, even thought the rest of the game ran perfectly fine in the legacy version. Wouldn't be surprised if it was all the projectiles straining the RPG Maker engine.

It seems to run fine in the default engine. Not sure why you would use the legacy one since it's pretty much shittier than the default in every way.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Anatharon posted:

He hates Game of Thrones, Mortal Kombat and The Witcher. :allears:

Good on him for the first, nothing but shame for the other two though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, slowbeef misses like half the game's content. (Island tours, karate village, nice neighbourhood, eternal wrestling congregation, the Salvation Rangers, Satan, Columbo's race (I think I can't actually remember) and half the dojos, plus the pain mode joy lab.

• Locked thread