Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Holy poo poo that's less than a mile from me!

You better evacuate quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:lol: From the comments:

quote:

1. unreliable
2. unfixable
3. undiagnosable
4. replacement parts not available/not fitting
5. disappointing, really wanted it to work out
6. stranded on the way home from the dealer
7. spontaneously combusting
8. resource devouring
9. relationship/marriage poisoning
10. soul corrupting
11. mention of lemon laws, including this being the reason they need to exist
12. dealer bankrupting
13. psychotic rage inducing
14. relief at getting rid of
15. losing faith in Italian cars/dealerships/used car sellers/all of humanity (choose one or more)
16. cynicism-inducing
17. negative opinion from a friend/friend of a friend/magazine test/word of mouth/common knowledge (choose one or more)
18. It happened to me/family member
19. blessed to have walked away from buying it to begin with
20. makes a (fill in the blank) look reliable by comparison
21. I wouldn’t buy it for $x/take it if you gave it to me/purchase price is just the start of your troubles/nothing more expensive than a cheap one
22. Life is too short but will seem too long.
23. Manufacturing defect.
24. Designed-in defect.
25. Rust.
26. Interior color
27. Looks like a Honda Accord
28. Reason I decided to: chant/become vegan/take vow of chastity, poverty, silence/bicycle everywhere/drive a Toyota/pluck my eyes out/proceed on the path that resulted in me now weighing 810 pounds/purge my life of anything related to Italy.

Edit: True story -- the '86 Biturbo Si that I had resulted in me being sued by a mechanic. The only time in my life I've ever been named in a lawsuit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pham Nuwen posted:

You better evacuate quick!

It needs to be sent to Washington State. I like my apartment.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Crowdfund it? It works, where's the fun in that?!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

meatpimp posted:

:lol: From the comments:

Edit: True story -- the '86 Biturbo Si that I had resulted in me being sued by a mechanic. The only time in my life I've ever been named in a lawsuit.

How did you get sued by a mechanic over a car you owned? Did you pick it up with incomplete repairs?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How did you get sued by a mechanic over a car you owned? Did you pick it up with incomplete repairs?

I assume he was probably trying to recoup the costs from his stint in a psych ward after working on it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

th vwls hv scpd posted:

It was before I worked on my own cars. I was ~23 years old. The car had an exhaust leak start from the exhaust manifold area. Mechanics quoted me ~$500 for the repair. The car was a week late in getting finished, the mechanic had some sob story about how the car was much more of a problem than he thought it would be (the factory had double-gasketed ONE of the cylinders at the exhaust manifold) and charged me $1800. I paid with a check, just to get the car out of their possession, then stopped payment on the check. In hindsight, I should have just sent them a follow-up check for $500, but I didn't because I was young and found something in the law that says "if you don't get a written estimate, then the shop is liable for triple the amount of the bill."

I brought that up in court, the judge agreed with me, but said I had to bring that up in a separate action and, since I didn't counter-sue for that, he couldn't give it to me. So, he ordered me to pay the $500 and I sold that fragile piece of poo poo.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 27, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

meatpimp posted:

It was before I worked on my own cars. I was ~23 years old. The car had an exhaust leak start from the exhaust manifold area. Mechanics quoted me ~$500 for the repair. The car was a week late in getting finished, the mechanic had some sob story about how the car was much more of a problem than he thought it would be (the factory had double-gasketed ONE of the cylinders at the exhaust manifold) and charged me $1800. I paid with a check, just to get the car out of their possession, then stopped payment on the check. In hindsight, I should have just sent them a follow-up check for $500, but I didn't because I was young and found something in the law that says "if you don't get a written estimate, then the shop is liable for triple the amount of the bill."

I brought that up in court, the judge agreed with me, but said I had to bring that up in a separate action and, since I didn't counter-sue for that, he couldn't give it to me. So, he ordered me to pay the $500 and I sold that fragile piece of poo poo.

Was it a fun car to drive? How was the power and handling?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Astonishing Wang posted:

Was it a fun car to drive? How was the power and handling?

It was super nice. The interior was crazy. It was an '87, so it had fuel injection, a lot of interior upgrades, etc... it was the "most" reliable of the BiTurbo production run. There were 217 imported into the US, so it was pretty rare.

But it was fragile. You could tell that when you drove it. It never died on me or anything, but it never felt solid. Handling was on-par with '80s cars with 14" wheels and period tires. Power was good, really good for a small car.

At the same time, I bought an '86 Audi 4000S manual. The Audi was slower, but more fun to drive, fantastically more solid and begged you to beat on it. That lead me down a long course of German cars.

Sold the Maser for a slight loss and was happy about it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Biturbos can wait.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh oh. Vet visit? What's up?

I am a cat person AMA and avoid visiting the dreaded PI.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Couple weeks back he had an ear infection. It was getting better then got way worse yesterday. He can't walk straight, falls over, doesn't move half his face. Ear scraping shows discharge but massive reduction in bacteria and no mites. They say it could be deep inner ear or it could be a tumor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

:( aww poor guy

Without the ear thing, the falling over and not moving half his face would imply a stroke, to me. How old is he? Hopefully it's just an ear/balance thing and he gets better quickly.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
He's 12 :saddowns:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Poor little guy :(

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
i swear to god 2015 don't you dare take another loving cat

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We're...

Discussing options.

It's not good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Feel free to tell the vet that you need some time, and give the guy a day or two to see if he can recover. You can also ask for a second opinion.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That's where we're at. Hes coming home. Give it through the weekend. If he gets wrse he goes back in.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

14 INCH SLIT posted:

We're...

Discussing options.

It's not good.

100% legit offer, if you need some cash for catte, throw up a gofundme. I'll drop some money at you. Pets are the best. Comedy project cars are one thing, but catbro's need love.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Siochain posted:

100% legit offer, if you need some cash for catte, throw up a gofundme. I'll drop some money at you. Pets are the best. Comedy project cars are one thing, but catbro's need love.

I'm in, too. I miss having a cat - I travel too much for a steady relationship with a feline - and I will happily contribute to a happy & healthy cat living somewhere.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

I'm in, too. I miss having a cat - I travel too much for a steady relationship with a feline - and I will happily contribute to a happy & healthy cat living somewhere.

Parents paid for the bill

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Siochain posted:

Me too. I'm driving two cars worth a total of $2850, but I've got more than $4k invested in one of my rescue cats.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh god, let me tell you about prescription cat food. One of these cats is costing me like $100 a month in food, and that's only that low because she's a very small cat. I've also spent a couple grand on tests (always negative), x-rays (all negative), etc., in order to determine that she probably has some kind of asymptomatic irritable bowel disease or who the gently caress knows what which causes her to bleed out her butt once every 6-9 months and make us freak out, while actually being pretty much fine.

Rescue cats are the best.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Leperflesh posted:

Oh god, let me tell you about prescription cat food. One of these cats is costing me like $100 a month in food, and that's only that low because she's a very small cat. I've also spent a couple grand on tests (always negative), x-rays (all negative), etc., in order to determine that she probably has some kind of asymptomatic irritable bowel disease or who the gently caress knows what which causes her to bleed out her butt once every 6-9 months and make us freak out, while actually being pretty much fine.

Rescue cats are the best.

'sup, pet poverty buddy.

I have one on Z/D from Prescription Diet and another on I/D. About $35 a bag for each one. The worst part is when the cat eats the prescription food too fast and barfs it back up. That's about a $2 pile of puke.

I also have to order from the pet pharmacy every month for the one that is allergic to EVERYTHING. Until a few years ago, I didn't even know that pet pharmacies existed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

She was on i/d for months, we saw blood again, switched to z/d. She vomited up the z/d about once every three meals, so now we're back on to i/d (and the vet very kindly refunded me for the leftover cans of z/d).

She only pukes up the i/d about once a week. Usually onto our bed.

The other cats are mostly on "sensitive stomach" except for the one that had cholangiohepatitis, she just needs a "very high quality" diet so she gets Royal Canin Sensitive Stomach, which (you guessed it) she likes to barf up regularly.

cattes

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Oh god, let me tell you about prescription cat food. One of these cats is costing me like $100 a month in food, and that's only that low because she's a very small cat.

I'm not really a cat dude (sorry AI) but my GF's russian blue contracted diabetes (amongst other things) some months back and was at death's door from it. He was getting multiple insulin injections a day, but basing her life/schedule around that was killing her, running home from work at lunch etc. At that time, she switched him from dry food to a heavy meat-based canned diet that DIDN'T have sugar in it. I forget what it is but it isn't perscription and she gets it on Amazon IIRC - the vet described it as "a mouse-in-a-can".

In like a month the little dude was totally cured. His catabetes went away completely, his skin condition went away completely, his urinary tract issues dissapeared and he's healthy as gently caress now. It took him a little while to accept the new stuff, but once he did he ate ravenously. Who knew cats were supposed to eat meat instead of processed corn? All that to be said I will try to remember to check the name on the can and see if it's cheaper for you than what you're buying.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah we know a crazy cat lady (she has like 15 cats) who feeds them all nothing but raw thawed frozen chicken wings. I think she might supplement it with that amino acid they can't get normally but that's it.

Our problem is we have six rescue cats, and three of them have special dietary needs that aren't the same. Well four, if we count the fat cat, but she's just a pig and is fine eating anything. So we have to separate them when feeding the wet food, and keep one outside, and...

OK sorry AI, catte chatte is getting a bit excessive, my bad. 14" just let us know if you need any catte support.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Food isn't going to help. Vet is reasonably confident it's a tumor due the swelling, the disorientation, the facial nerves reacting off, the fact he can't walk. Got pregnizone for the weekend to see if it Wil help.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Prednisone is amazing stuff. If it's reaction to something it will probably help.

As a steroid, it suppresses the immune system, so I don't think it's normally used when there's an infection or risk of one, but probably the important thing right now is to deal with swelling, which it might.

Good luck, little cat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Leperflesh posted:

Good luck, little cat.

That about sums it up... :unsmith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Be strong, little cat. You can do it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I hope your cat recovers. I'm sorry, man.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I swear, 2015, you had best stop this poo poo. Get better, cat.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Stay strong 14" and stay strong catte

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Did your vet do xrays to confirm the tumor?

(I probably don't want to know the answer)

Either way... I hope Spaz pulls through. 12 is too young. :sigh:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Come on, Spazman. 14" has lost enough already.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

As much as i go through most days wanting to use my two cats as crab bait, I dont think I could face having to take the little buggers to the vet and not have them come back.

Get well spaz, your dad needs you.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dude, I really hope he gets better. In 2013, I lost one of mine to FIP. He was fine and all of a sudden he just starts dropping weight, won't eat, won't drink, just sat all listless. We tried so many things and spent so much to get him better, but he just... I still can't watch death scenes in movies because I can remember seeing the light leave his eyes.

I miss you, Crom

He's on the left. He was a stray but he had a loving home for 4 years :qq:

E: oh, gently caress you facebook. I sign on and it tells me he died today two years ago :negative:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

Did your vet do xrays to confirm the tumor?

(I probably don't want to know the answer)

Either way... I hope Spaz pulls through. 12 is too young. :sigh:

They did not x-ray to confirm the tumor. The vet was basing it off of her visual exam, because the ear discharge was examined under microscope and found not to contain bacteria or mites. Combined with the lack of reaction on that side of the face as well as swelling seen in the back of the mouth she thinks it is a tumor.

• Locked thread