Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

This level is really bad for getting mobbed by sirens (it's how I died every single time across two games) but that scoreboard should nicely illustrate how much the ammo cuts are hurting Support. I had to run around with the Caulk N Burn for most of the game and only survived on ~200hrs of TF2 Pyro instincts.

(Watch Tripwire nerf Firebug now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

This level is really bad for getting mobbed by sirens (it's how I died every single time across two games) but that scoreboard should nicely illustrate how much the ammo cuts are hurting Support. I had to run around with the Caulk N Burn for most of the game and only survived on ~200hrs of TF2 Pyro instincts.

(Watch Tripwire nerf Firebug now.)

I was just in that game. Which one are you? (You don't make it very clear).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Given that he's discussing the ammo nerfs to support, I'm guessing the level 12 support busy being outscored by a level 0 and level 4

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Played a bit last night. Tried out the Caulk'NBurn, Trench Gun, Grenade Pistol and C4 off perk with my medic. They all look and function in a really cool manner. But damage wise they're just okay. I can't really tell the range on the Caulk N Burn. It also sprayed much differently then I was imagining a flaming caulk to work. I was hoping for silly string on fire. Trench Gun handles pretty well but at its cost I would still go with a Double Barrel Shotgun as a back up since it does more damage. C4 is fun but as a Medic I only get 2. One thing I wasn't able to try was if C4 could stick to walls or people. The ammo nerf doesn't really affect Medics too much but I was seeing people with other perks starting running around looking for ammo much sooner on each wave.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Psion posted:

Given that he's discussing the ammo nerfs to support, I'm guessing the level 12 support busy being outscored by a level 0 and level 4

:drat: Are we sure the ammo nerf was the cause of that?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Actually I was Vice President Omarosa and kept getting yelled at for "running off on my own". The Support kept welding doors so maybe he's a bad example.

Revolver Bunker posted:

I can't really tell the range on the Caulk N Burn. It also sprayed much differently then I was imagining a flaming caulk to work. I was hoping for silly string on fire.
Maybe I didn't look at the model too closely but I think it's a pair of aerosol cans with their directors removed and slotted into a caulking gun. The pressure mechanism from the gun discharges the nozzles over the pilot lights (which are fuelled by the souls of the damned or whatever else videogame pilot lights use).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 27, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this game is very good

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is there gonna be a way to get the Zweihander on my account without having to spend 20bux on a game I don't really want? Especially if it turns out to be better than other berserker weapons.

I know I can cross my fingers and hope someone else has it, but, ehhhhhhh

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Revolver Bunker posted:

C4 is fun but as a Medic I only get 2. One thing I wasn't able to try was if C4 could stick to walls or people.

It sticks to walls. I tried it on a truck in Paris and yep. Not sure about people though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Is there gonna be a way to get the Zweihander on my account without having to spend 20bux on a game I don't really want? Especially if it turns out to be better than other berserker weapons.

chivalry is very good

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Wait for a sale and buy the game (which is fun).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Firebug weapon feedback now that I've hit level 5:

-The Caulk N Burn is a good starter weapon and nice for clearing out trash. It's hard to gauge the range at first but puff-and-run does well in waves where I really shouldn't be competitive with a tier-1 gun (i.e. after I've died). Its main drawback is that it's still Flamethrower Jr. and also only gets half a loving can from ammo pickups jesus christ almighty.

-The Trench Gun is actually worse for crowds and general trash clearing than the Caulk N Burn because it lacks the penetration of Support shotguns. I feel like I have much more trouble setting groups on fire with it and the only upside is the sorta-increased range. Having played mostly Support before the beta dropped it's lovely when I click something's head and it doesn't seem bothered the first time. I'm fine with having to score headshots but with 6/40 there's not enough to go around. I feel like this should be the tier 1 weapon or at least priced as such because it's not an upgrade or a downgrade but more of playstyle choice.

-The Flamethrower rules but needs its range boosted to whatever the perk bonus range is and that range needs to be that % gain again. It's also suffering a case of tier 4 envy where the Microwave gun is much, much better for killing the big zeds that show up by the time you can afford it, but unlike Support you can't even take a weight perk to carry them both.

-Microwave gun is great but I feel like I'm having a lot of trouble staying on-target due to the firing sway and obnoxious sight, which are both pointlessly aggravating. It's a tier 4 gun; please don't make it harder to hit those priority targets than it already is. Like the AA12 using it on trash is setting yourself up to get stomped by big zeds later so a weight reduction that lets me carry the flamethrower would be nice, but the others aren't terrible backup weapons.

Eonwe posted:

chivalry is very good
...but the community is the absolute worst.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 27, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shumagorath posted:

-The Caulk N Burn is a good starter weapon and nice for clearing out trash. It's hard to gauge the range at first but puff-and-run does well in waves where I really shouldn't be competitive with a tier-1 gun (i.e. after I've died). Its main drawback is that it's still Flamethrower Jr. and also only gets half a loving can from ammo pickups jesus christ almighty.

-The Trench Gun is actually worse for crowds and general trash clearing than the Caulk N Burn because it lacks the penetration of Support shotguns. I feel like I have much more trouble setting groups on fire with it and the only upside is the sorta-increased range. Having played mostly Support before the beta dropped it's lovely when I click something's head and it doesn't seem bothered the first time. I'm fine with having to score headshots but with 6/40 there's not enough to go around. I feel like this should be the tier 1 weapon or at least priced as such because it's not an upgrade or a downgrade but more of playstyle choice.

-The Flamethrower rules but needs its range boosted to whatever the perk bonus range is and that range needs to be that % gain again. It's also suffering a case of tier 4 envy where the Microwave gun is much, much better for killing the big zeds that show up by the time you can afford it, but unlike Support you can't even take a weight perk to carry them both.

-Microwave gun is great but I feel like I'm having a lot of trouble staying on-target due to the firing sway and obnoxious sight, which are both pointlessly aggravating. It's a tier 4 gun; please don't make it harder to hit those priority targets than it already is. Like the AA12 using it on trash is setting yourself up to get stomped by big zeds later so a weight reduction that lets me carry the flamethrower would be nice, but the others aren't terrible backup weapons.

My thoughts:
-Caulk N Burn: Love it, feels just right playstyle wise. Drives me up the wall that it doesn't feel like a caulk gun though (even though it's got aerosol cans and not caulk cans in it). A single squeeze on the trigger lever should only put so much pressure/push so much fuel out of the cans. So in my head it should either squirt a short burst, or you should hear your character squeezing like mad, the over-worked, under-oiled hinge squeaking as your character gives him/herself a hand cramp. But that's just a visual/theme style issue for me, playstyle it's a very, very good weapon and makes Firebug one of the strongest characters when recovering from a death.

-Trenchgun: Makes an absolutely BEAUTIFUL fireball in dark areas. Don't treat this like a a shotgun, this is the the Firebug's long range weapon for when you want to ignite a couple dudes at a distance. Good for marking or for keeping distance. Basically treat it as your MAC-10.

-Flamethrower: Does what it says on the tin. Better range (slightly), damage and bigger "magazine" than the Caulk N Burn.

-Microwave Gun: TECHNO FLAMETHROWER! TIME TO COOK SOME ZED-MALLOWS! Other than the sway and busy sight (at least the center is clear and you're not going for pin-point accuracy) this thing is amazing in so many ways. I've been told it penetrates zeds too (like a flamethrower) but it's kinda hard to see the effects of your own gun (which is why it's hard to figure out flamethrower/caulk range).

az
Dec 2, 2005

So something entirely unrelated to the current meta and balance. What did you do to character voices? Everybody is quieter, muffled, less chatty. And Anton's voice better be a placeholder cause it's Dj Skully with some of the personalized lines cut out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Shumagorath posted:

any community that you can send into a roiling poo poo fit by telling them that they're not actually sorry after they apologize for a teamkill is a-ok in my book

it barely even counts as trolling since there's almost no effort involved in starting it up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Chivalry goes on sale pretty often.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

rolling dual 9mm's with backup until I can get a Scar is good

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

az posted:

So something entirely unrelated to the current meta and balance. What did you do to character voices? Everybody is quieter, muffled, less chatty. And Anton's voice better be a placeholder cause it's Dj Skully with some of the personalized lines cut out.

every character is getting replaced by DJ Skully next patch, actually

EYYYYYY, BIG BELGIAN

Geight posted:

:drat: Are we sure the ammo nerf was the cause of that?

I can say my personal experience is that the ammo nerf has made support manifestly Unfun To Play on at least waves 1, 2, and 3 of a 7-wave. That's a bad loving sign.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Are they still wiping perks? It's the only thing preventing me from buying this probably amazing game.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

az posted:

To quote myself from the TWI forums: There are a number of audio balancing tasks that are still outstanding in the Preview build right now (placeholder voice for Anton, non-final audio balancing, etc.). Our sound designer is planning on a pretty extensive pass before the "release" version of the patch goes out.

Volt Catfish posted:

Are they still wiping perks? It's the only thing preventing me from buying this probably amazing game.

Nope. We announced at E3 that we were confident in the stats/XP system now and won't be wiping any perk progress.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Volt Catfish posted:

There will be no more resets, so get to killing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hot drat, I've got a game to buy. Thanks everybody!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

Thanks for the nice writeup on all the firebug weapons. The specifics of the Trench Gun in general are about what I expected due to the lack of spread or penetration bonus. Regardless of "Treat your video game shotgun as your long range weapons" suggestions.

As for Chiv, I have a screenshot of me swordfighting a mans on a tower with persistent ragdolls making every inch of ground covered in the corpses of players.

While the chat has a debate over who called who a fag.

All it's missing is somebody screaming that using the Feint button is cheating, and that contorting your body at a 90 degree angle backwards to overhand people behind you in the feet instantly is pro play. Then it would be the perfect Chivalry.JPG

Chivakry is however, totally worth a sales buy no matter what because despite all that it can be super fun. Today's objective, kill all the peasants!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

please put the KF1 trader as a playable character. plz.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Section Z posted:

Regardless of "Treat your video game shotgun as your long range weapons" suggestions.
This is something I wish more games would model, really. Shotguns aren't the Elmer Fudd blunderbuss unless you put a ridiculous choke on them or shorten the barrel, but Quake 2 (or probably Doom 2) trained people to expect buckshot has a 90º sweep and it leads to ridiculous balance decisions like in CoD where the shot disappears after 20 feet.

If the Trench gun had a plume of flame or damaging muzzle flash to boost its close-range power that might work...? Maybe it gets better when you have Napalm/Shrapnel but I also see Caulk N Burn gaining more.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 28, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The buckshot from the Trench Gun already looks like fireworks, so I kinda wish it just shot fireworks. Just shoot a single rocket out that explodes into fire-setting shrapnel on impact with the first thing it hits.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Shumagorath posted:

This is something I wish more games would model, really. Shotguns aren't the Elmer Fudd blunderbuss unless you put a ridiculous choke on them or shorten the barrel, but Quake 2 (or probably Doom 2) trained people to expect buckshot has a 90º sweep and it leads to ridiculous balance decisions like in CoD where the shot disappears after 20 feet.

If the Trench gun had a plume of flame or damaging muzzle flash to boost its close-range power that might work...? Maybe it gets better when you have Napalm/Shrapnel but I also see Caulk N Burn gaining more.

Yeah I think that they should add an extra plume of flame alongside the pellets, almost like a puff from a flamethrower. The pellets are just a bonus if you want to reach out and hit something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just had a demolitionist round where I picked up a caulk from a firebug who died on round one. Fire-Demo works really, really well. The cluster and grenade launchers were great for attacking long range stuff while the caulk and later flamethrower cleared up the short range stuff just fine, also gave me an out when sirens arrived. I made an amazing trash sweeper/assist dude

Of course the lack of single target "I need this big guy dead NOW!" utility of the C4 meant I was utterly screwed when a scrake and fleshpound aggroed on me out of the entire group. :v:

But yeah, Demo works best with an off-perk weapon it seems, or carrying a demo weapon on another perk (like Medic).

Rayjenkins posted:

Yeah I think that they should add an extra plume of flame alongside the pellets, almost like a puff from a flamethrower. The pellets are just a bonus if you want to reach out and hit something.

That would be so cool, like legit cool.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've found that a Medic with Medic SMG and RPG-7 is a fun gimmick build. You can clear out groups of enemies and have the strength needed when things get too close in terms of weapons and armor.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I've been liking the medic smg on demo

Until we get the lever action that's always my go-to off perk weapon

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

A badass dragonbreath plume would be fun and effective yes. I'll be honest. I don't mind that Video Game Shotguns work the way they do. It gives them something different than 'Fat rifle' for mechanics.

The stock, M4, and AA12 spread isn't too crazy but still just enough that you know it will wing more than one zed if they aren't standing exactly in single file if need be. The Boomstick being a crazy wide cone is a good variety, and it's damage is such that even it you miss literally half the pellets it will still do as much damage as one M4 or AA12 shot.

I vastly prefer the current pellets over the concept of "Slug" rounds which would only be able to kill multiple zed standing in perfect single file. Plus with pellets, a "Near miss headshot" will still kill up to gorefasts if so much as a single pellet hits them,

That said, suggesting your video game shotgun is your "long range option" just because it has more range than a flamethrower or sword still sounds silly to my personal tastes, despite technically being true (Comparing the Nailgun to a HAMMER is enough of an extreme that it makes sense to me, at least).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

gnome7 posted:

The buckshot from the Trench Gun already looks like fireworks, so I kinda wish it just shot fireworks. Just shoot a single rocket out that explodes into fire-setting shrapnel on impact with the first thing it hits.
A flare gun would also be acceptable, though the explosion would need to be rather large to make up for the single-shot nature and now we're deep in Demo territory.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Just played a couple of games and having a blast. One thing I'd like to see is for a medic, could you either make health and armor disappear when full, or change color? I know it's not a big deal, but it would help when I'm trying to see who I haven't healed, and the black background blends into the darkness of the level.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Inside Out Mom posted:

Just played a couple of games and having a blast. One thing I'd like to see is for a medic, could you either make health and armor disappear when full, or change color? I know it's not a big deal, but it would help when I'm trying to see who I haven't healed, and the black background blends into the darkness of the level.

Swing your crosshair around, it makes a little clicky sound on someone when they aren't totally maxed. That said, the healthbars are pretty bad, making it hard to figure out exactly where people are, and the names are tiny making it hard to identify the right player in the middle of the action. I'd like to see them worked on a bit.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Inside Out Mom posted:

Aim down sight when you are going to heal another player. A blue crosshair will appear and lock on to the player after about half a second. Then press the heal dart and it will home in on the person. You can still do it without aiming but I found the dart to be a bit more accurate this way. Also keep in mind that your darts heal over time so while it may look like a player is still missing health they may just be slowly healing from your last dart. If they don't beep then your healing dart don't reap.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just experienced my first crash with the game today, might be a FLEX issue. I had it turned on for gibs and fluids and noticed a major frame drop while walking through an area that basically looked like a charnel house. My game crashed to desktop with the bug report message shortly later while in the middle of the boss round :negative:

This was on a GTX 970 if this helps anybody. Still going to leave FLEX on because it makes shots so much more satisfying and I haven't noticed a hit to normal performance aside from this random crash.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

please put the KF1 trader as a playable character. plz.

This would actually own yeah

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Revolver Bunker posted:

Aim down sight when you are going to heal another player. A blue crosshair will appear and lock on to the player after about half a second. Then press the heal dart and it will home in on the person. You can still do it without aiming but I found the dart to be a bit more accurate this way. Also keep in mind that your darts heal over time so while it may look like a player is still missing health they may just be slowly healing from your last dart. If they don't beep then your healing dart don't reap.

Thanks. That is some stuff I didn't know.

If you want to get a group going send me a request or a message.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Catacombs could do with some standing floodlights. Having to identify Skrakes by shadow isn't going to be nice when the number of Firebugs levels back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm not 100% sure but the demo pistol might need a small buff, especially at low levels that thing is dishearteningly weak at times. It's not consistent though, which is ... odd. And at high levels it's never going to stand up to Hans or a big enemy. And I still can't make C4 work for me. So until/unless I can pack an M79 + RPG ... I dunno.

the level 20 perk choice is super ridiculous though. "have a piddling 10% for off-perk weapons" against "make all your demo weapons awesome-errrrrrr"