Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Michael Corleone posted:

F it, buying the Foster hype, him and Brady will make me the best 2nd half and playoff team in the league also gonna take ADP, and everyone is in F it mode, oh well, risky, but good value, value is king!

Picking around the last positions in the draft (8-12) is a prime strategy for this, especially if you want to wait on RB and QB.

In one of my home big money 10 team PPR draft I was able to do this -

1.08 J. Jones
2.03 R. Gronk
3.08 D. Hopkins
4.03 J. Matthews
5.08 J. Stewart
6.03 C. Ivory
7.08 E. Decker
8.03 L. Fitzgerald
9.08 A. Foster
10.03 L. Blount
11.08 R. Mathews
12.03 T. Brady

with the expectation of having the Brady => Gronk stack after week 4, and potentially Foster as a top RB when/if he returns. Also got Palmer as my fillin until Brady gets back.

Granted, this is 10 team, but I'm pretty happy with that roster in PPR. In auction I think you can probably exploit Brady and Foster a bit more, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Forever_Peace posted:

My wheaton prediction now looks a little less impressive.

ALL ABOARD THE SAMMIE COATES HYPE TRAIN WOOOOOOO

On the other hand your Perriman prediction suffered a setback today

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Foster is going to be in my auction draft because I didn't keep him, I have Luck there though, so will keep on eye on Foster's price if it seems like a value I might bite. AP is being kept because he is only going to be 49 to keep.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
All aboard the... Marlon Brown train?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Spoeank posted:

All aboard the... Marlon Brown train?

Thinking Kamar Aiken is the dude to have there.

Don Markstein
Nov 5, 2008
My commish just changed the scoring settings for our 10 team league from strictly PPR to this:

How should I change my draft? To me,, it seems like QB's are ~2.5x as valuable and RBs are ~2x as valuable as a normal league. Not that much money on the line, but I still think it's a dick move to change the league settings less than 24 hours before the draft without consulting anyone.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Wait what

Your league no longer gives QBs points for ANY yardage?

E: missed that last line. Ok. Hard to say how anything is affected without the values

And yes it's a total dick move. gently caress him. Call him out in front of the rest of the league

Zypher fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 27, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zypher posted:

Wait what

Your league no longer gives QBs points for ANY yardage?

No, it gives .1 per yard instead of 0.04 now.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Don Markstein posted:

My commish just changed the scoring settings for our 10 team league from strictly PPR to this:

How should I change my draft? To me,, it seems like QB's are ~2.5x as valuable and RBs are ~2x as valuable as a normal league. Not that much money on the line, but I still think it's a dick move to change the league settings less than 24 hours before the draft without consulting anyone.

Looks like wr got the biggest boost. Treat it as a ppr league. Don't worry about qb til late.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What's with you goons being in leagues with shitastic commissioners?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Sammie Coates is a super interesting prospect. He was a fringe first rounder but dropped really far because of his in game production and okayish measureables.

But regardless of all that, he really showed up against stiff competition. He took a Bama defense last year for 205 yards on five receptions, a pretty stout Mississippi team for 122 yards and five receptions, and LSU for 144 yards on four receptions. His 2013 season had better measurables and he also matched up against some NFL quality CBs too. The guy reminds me more of Devante Parker than Martavis Bryant. Bryant's all speed, Parker and Coates have that long stride down field with great jump ball talent.

I really think Coates might show up sometime sooner than later. He could be an interesting add this year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Looks like wr got the biggest boost. Treat it as a ppr league. Don't worry about qb til late.

He said it was a ppr league already, so not sure what that reception scoring added thing is. Did they add ppr to another position?

Don Markstein
Nov 5, 2008

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Nothing changed with the WRs. Do you mean the RBs? This is a breakdown of how the top 10 at each position did last year:

QBs:

RBs:

WRs:

EDIT: Saw that reception added in, he had added the PPR as well, because it used to be a standard league; that add I skipped over because that was talked about with all of us.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Can you give us a screenshot of the scoring settings page?

Don Markstein
Nov 5, 2008

Zypher posted:

Can you give us a screenshot of the scoring settings page?

Sure, here's scoring settings:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

That makes no sense though. 0.1 passing yards per point means elite QBs will score a ton more than not elite QBs. Take a top 5 QB in the first round or get outscored at QB by 5+ points per game by half the league.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Just let everyone in my league know they can trade any draft pick for anyone else's and in volume if they want. BUT, I was going to let them go into a deficit and lock the FA pool until a day or two after the draft, then put everyone on waivers. Will Yahoo allow teams to leave the draft without a full roster? This would be ideal.

e; basically it would be like an NFL value chart of a fantasy draft, pick 1 is worth pick x and x, etc. BUT, IDK if Yahoo will let me have a team go without a full roster, so as a work around if they trade away too much I guess I can tell them they have to draft like the lowest rated player on the list in whatever roster spot they need, then they are going to have to drop them and get in the waiver line.

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 27, 2015

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Doltos posted:

Sammie Coates is a super interesting prospect. He was a fringe first rounder but dropped really far because of his in game production and okayish measureables.

But regardless of all that, he really showed up against stiff competition. He took a Bama defense last year for 205 yards on five receptions, a pretty stout Mississippi team for 122 yards and five receptions, and LSU for 144 yards on four receptions. His 2013 season had better measurables and he also matched up against some NFL quality CBs too. The guy reminds me more of Devante Parker than Martavis Bryant. Bryant's all speed, Parker and Coates have that long stride down field with great jump ball talent.

I really think Coates might show up sometime sooner than later. He could be an interesting add this year.

Reads words... Looks to the left at giant red text. Back to the advice on a player.. Back to the red text... Puts down phone.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

MacheteZombie posted:

What's with you goons being in leagues with shitastic commissioners?

I feel like fantasy has taken on a "Win at all costs" mentality. So you have people who are commissioners with a group who don't know anything and they just take advantage of it.

That or the commissioners don't know much about fantasy and they don't realize that the little changes they make have HUGE impacts on the season.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

That makes no sense though. 0.1 passing yards per point means elite QBs will score a ton more than not elite QBs. Take a top 5 QB in the first round or get outscored at QB by 5+ points per game by half the league.

I guess I just don't know how to read that change log. So reverse what I say and you are good.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Wang posted:

Reads words... Looks to the left at giant red text. Back to the advice on a player.. Back to the red text... Puts down phone.

There's actually a lot to like about Coates in dynasty. I mean yeah he's a SPARQ freak that's way out at the extremes even against other WRs, but there's a lot more to like than just his athleticism (I actually don't value SPARQ TOO much for WRs - I think it's more important for RBs and Edge rushers and the like). He was really efficient in college on very limited targets (averaging over 20 yards per catch, with a playmaker score second only to Amari Cooper in this draft class), and has freakishly long arms to match his athleticism (in theory, he could eventually have a monster catch radius if he learns to use his body right). As Martavis has shown, I think that type of physical deep threat works really well with Big Ben's arm. On the talent evaluation side of things, I also think the Steelers have a good eye for receivers, and they were willing to take him in the third despite the need for depth at other positions.

There's a significant downside too, though. He's had a couple of bad drops in the past, and has a lot of competition for snaps in PIT. My main worry is that he's never really had to carry a significant workload even in college, and even his first-team contributions came a relatively older age. He's rough around the edges, sure, but the main issue is that it's not clear whether he's even cut out to be a potential starter. I wouldn't be surprised if they have him in mind mostly for three-wide sets and injury backup. I'm certainly hoping for more though!

Bottom line, I don't think he's relevant this year even with Martavis out for a while. I like him enough in dynasty though to trade for him in one of the goon leagues - gave 2 years of Quick and a very low pick for 5 years of Coates, which seems pretty even to me.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 28, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Don Markstein posted:

Sure, here's scoring settings:

You should clarify with the commissioner. When I first set up my league, I was trying to get everything to show decimal scores and accidentally set 0.1 per passing yard instead of 0.05. Maths iz hard. I didn't even notice until after the first week (in my defense, nobody else did either). e: although judging by the rushing yards it may be intentional...

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

rofl Martavis got dinged for "multiple failed marijuana tests".

Martavis is the weed guy of 2014.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Wang posted:

I don't want to toot my own horn too much but I do know a lot about football, the draft in particular, and my career will probably be in football in some sort of capacity. Either way I wouldn't trust an angry red text that calls me a 'fat human being' for giving out fantasy football opinions.

Forever_Peace posted:

There's actually a lot to like about Coates in dynasty. I mean yeah he's a SPARQ freak that's way out at the extremes even against other WRs, but there's a lot more to like than just his athleticism (I actually don't value SPARQ TOO much for WRs - I think it's more important for RBs and Edge rushers and the like). He was really efficient in college on very limited targets (averaging over 20 yards per catch, with a playmaker score second only to Amari Cooper in this draft class), and has freakishly long arms to match his athleticism (in theory, he could eventually have a monster catch radius if he learns to use his body right). As Martavis has shown, I think that type of physical deep threat works really well with Big Ben's arm. On the talent evaluation side of things, I also think the Steelers have a good eye for receivers, and they were willing to take him in the third despite the need for depth at other positions.

There's a significant downside too, though. He's had a couple of bad drops in the past, and has a lot of competition for snaps in PIT. My main worry is that he's never really had to carry a significant workload even if college, and even his first-team contributions came a relatively older age. He's rough around the edges, sure, but the main issue is that it's not clear whether he's even cut out to be a potential starter. I wouldn't be surprised if they have him in mind mostly for three-wide sets and injury backup. I'm certainly hoping for more though!

Bottom line, I don't think he's relevant this year even with Martavis out for a while. I like him enough in dynasty though to trade for him in one of the goon leagues - gave 2 years of Quick and a very low pick for 5 years of Coates, which seems pretty even to me.

Coates does have a bunch of downsides. He wasn't asked to run a bunch of different routes in Auburn and the reason his catch rate was so low was because he has difficulty separating, plus like you said his hands aren't that great. He's a project but with the current situation with Bryant I can see Coates getting more than a few snaps this year. Either way he's a home run threat that possesses the valuable skillset of straight jumping over people while sprinting at full speed.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Foster is the perfect kind of player to draft for your bench. It's a smart move to go after as many high upside guys as possible for your bench and see who pans out IMO. Let it shake out after a few weeks and cut the Zach Sudfields of 2015 and move on. Even if you only get him for 5 weeks, that's an RB1 for 5 weeks. That's more valuable than some slightly better than replacement WR you can use 2 weeks to cover byes.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

rofl Martavis got dinged for "multiple failed marijuana tests".

Martavis is the weed guy of 2014.

loving Legarrette Blount is the worst

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Was there a "cheaters" Beersheet? One for those who look over your shoulder and try to copy your picks? I usually draft using my phone, but if there was one that had weird rear end rankings (defenses, kicker in the top 50, usually undrafted RB3, QB2, WR4s high on the list), I'd definitely print that and lie it on the table.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Dare I say the Niners look half-competent right now

Check on me again in a few weeks

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Was there a "cheaters" Beersheet? One for those who look over your shoulder and try to copy your picks? I usually draft using my phone, but if there was one that had weird rear end rankings (defenses, kicker in the top 50, usually undrafted RB3, QB2, WR4s high on the list), I'd definitely print that and lie it on the table.

I planted these around my buddies house last year

http://www.cheatsheetwarroom.com/fantasy-football/nfl/free/printable/fake-cheat-sheet.aspx

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Suave Fedora posted:

Dare I say the Niners look half-competent right now

Check on me again in a few weeks

...go on...

(their line does seem to be a lot better than predicted, and their first string defense didn't look half bad against Dallas)

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

5 and 1 is believable enough, maybe, probably have to lock the top 2, wish it would let you go smaller than 5 though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So I joined a friends work league because they needed one more person at the last minute and it was a total train wreck. A raiders homer drafts Latavius Murray in the first round, kickers are taken in the 8th as a few people "finish" their starting lineup, etc. This was Sunday. Today I'm on hold to Comcast and looking at peoples roster disasters, and I idly propose a trade. I give Keenan Allen and Mark Ingram, I get Antonio Brown and Chris Ivory with the message "Big upgrade at Running Back for you and only a minor downgrade at WR". Neither of those are all that true, but he accepts a few hours later. :ohdear:

My first reaction is disbelief, but its quickly replaced with what I can only describe as...guilt? Its only a 20 dollar league and while I know I could probably trade my way to an insanely stacked team, I'm not really sure if I should? Help me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let the evil flow

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Doltos posted:

:psyberger:

District Selectman posted:

Foster is the perfect kind of player to draft for your bench. It's a smart move to go after as many high upside guys as possible for your bench and see who pans out IMO.

Absolutely, glad to see a lot of people are on board with this. Stash a few known solid commodities that won't be back for a bit, then reap the rewards when championship time comes around. Brady's schedule Wks 13-16? NYJ, @HOU, TEN, @PHI. Foster? @BUF, NE, @IND, @TEN. Only one yikes week for each, AND golden Wks 15 and 16.

Provided you can make it to the playoffs, they're solid investments.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thanks, I can work with this. Testing out 20 & 4, especially with those with magazines from May.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cheese posted:

So I joined a friends work league because they needed one more person at the last minute and it was a total train wreck. A raiders homer drafts Latavius Murray in the first round, kickers are taken in the 8th as a few people "finish" their starting lineup, etc. This was Sunday. Today I'm on hold to Comcast and looking at peoples roster disasters, and I idly propose a trade. I give Keenan Allen and Mark Ingram, I get Antonio Brown and Chris Ivory with the message "Big upgrade at Running Back for you and only a minor downgrade at WR". Neither of those are all that true, but he accepts a few hours later. :ohdear:

My first reaction is disbelief, but its quickly replaced with what I can only describe as...guilt? Its only a 20 dollar league and while I know I could probably trade my way to an insanely stacked team, I'm not really sure if I should? Help me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sorry I meant to say okayish measureables as in his physical stature.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cheese posted:

Post your roster!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Doltos posted:

Sorry I meant to say okayish measureables as in his physical stature.

How tall you are probably matters slightly less when you can jump three and a half feet high and have arms the length of an offensive lineman's.

edit: player profiler puts his maximum catch radius at the 98th percentile, which is bananas for a guy who is 6'1. On tape, it's pretty clear that he doesn't use his athleticism anywhere close to that limit, however. Has potential but needs development.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

cheese posted:

My first reaction is disbelief, but its quickly replaced with what I can only describe as...guilt? And while I know I could probably trade my way to an insanely stacked team, I'm not really sure if I should? Help me.

This had to be a thing in a movie or TV show, or just deja vu. Take away the trading, and trade it for cheating to achieve success, yeah I am sure it has been done a million times as 'drama' for a character.

• Locked thread