Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

bunnyofdoom posted:

mst3k mantra. Why do the xwings have wings at all, let alone 4? Why are the aerodynamic when no other Rebel fighter really is.

Well the ep 7 trailer has xwings flying in the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
X-Wings have wings because otherwise you couldn't call them X-Wings, duh.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh my gently caress, yes. Finally someone is auctioning off a Jek loving Porkins card w/ base token on eBay for a reasonable starting bid.

Do not loving ruin this for me, internet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kai Tave posted:

X-Wings have wings because otherwise you couldn't call them X-Wings, duh.

The A-Wing has no wings. Though it could be argued the fuselage is a lifting body design.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
It is a wing. :ssh:

get it

a wing

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The TIE Lone Scout was excellent in the WEG Star Wars RPG (mainly because you could get it for free with some archetypes). :colbert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If we're talking about EU TIE's I've always been fond of the TIE/D droid fighter. It predated the prequel droid fighter by a few years when it was introduced in Dark Empire.

FFG shouldn't touch it though because having a TIE that would be cheaper than an Academy would be stupid and swarms are bad enough.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Are we all honestly going ignore the glory that is the TIE Star Cruiser?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Biaga posted:

Are we all honestly going ignore the glory that is the TIE Star Cruiser?
Looks like someone stuck tie panels onto a winnebago.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

g0del posted:

I know, it's glorious.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

g0del posted:

I thought you were joking and then I looked it up.

Someone let me know when we hit rock bottom of the EU because I keep thinking we're there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Someone let me know when we hit rock bottom of the EU because I keep thinking we're there.

My favorite takeaway from the GBS thread was Han Solo fights the Space Otter Queen
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Selonian

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I did not realize how big the punisher and k wings were. Like significantly bigger than the other fighter bombers.

Edit:

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

What about space weasels making Luke helpless?

Or the equally ridiculous star destroyer arms race. Wasnt a HSSD like 20 miles long or something?

waah fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 27, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

waah posted:

Or the equally ridiculous star destroyer arms race. Wasnt a HSSD like 20 miles long or something?

The Spaceballs gag played straight, I see.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Played a game with the two named Punishers tonight. Redline's ability is pretty awesome and made Proton Torpedoes actually pretty baller. Deathrain is pretty sweet too. Sadly I was playing against 3 ships with TLT which just ate the Punishers up too quickly, but they actually did quite well. Came down to a fight between Dark Curse and Esege (PS 6 K-Wing) at the end, before Curse blanked a defense roll and finally lost his last HP. TLT's are going to poo poo on 2 ship lists pretty fierce I think, which is great.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

canyoneer posted:

My favorite takeaway from the GBS thread was Han Solo fights the Space Otter Queen
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Selonian

Anyone who doesn't think the EU getting the Death Star laser treatment was a good thing really did t see it outside of a couple video games

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to wait til the new Core Set is released before I buy another (the current rumors are, new pilots but still an X-Wing and 2 TIEs, right?) but I was thinking of grabbing a few expansions tomorrow before I play again. Currently my buddy that I play with has no ships of his own so we're sharing, what would be the best bang for my buck? Should I get some S&V so we have another faction to choose, or just buy some more Rebels/Empire, and which ones are easier to learn for beginners?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm going to wait til the new Core Set is released before I buy another (the current rumors are, new pilots but still an X-Wing and 2 TIEs, right?)

The full rules have been leaked, it's an x wing and two ties but they're different versions not just new pilots.

http://imgur.com/a/TNJiY#10

http://imgur.com/a/Qzdzt

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

Played a game with the two named Punishers tonight. Redline's ability is pretty awesome and made Proton Torpedoes actually pretty baller. Deathrain is pretty sweet too. Sadly I was playing against 3 ships with TLT which just ate the Punishers up too quickly, but they actually did quite well. Came down to a fight between Dark Curse and Esege (PS 6 K-Wing) at the end, before Curse blanked a defense roll and finally lost his last HP. TLT's are going to poo poo on 2 ship lists pretty fierce I think, which is great.

TLT trip report: :getin:

Horton is finally worth flying :swoon:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

This is true, his ability is friggin' sweet with the TLT.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have been firing Proton Torpedoes with Horton for literally years now. Anything that can fire torpedoes well is always worth taking.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

The Gate posted:

This is true, his ability is friggin' sweet with the TLT.

Horton + TLT + EPT droid + Marksmanship + Title. :gibs:

Also, generic y stress bot with title and TLT to triple stress.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Anyone who doesn't think the EU getting the Death Star laser treatment was a good thing really did t see it outside of a couple video games

Clearly only all six, soon seven movies should be canon. Because none of them are terrible...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hoiyes posted:

Pretty sure stressbot got FAQ'd to only work once with TLT, for a total of two stress with the title.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Alright, I've been playing with this squad on the bench mark tool and just wanted a little constructive criticism before I put it on the table for real.

Darth Vader [TIE/x1, Predator, Twin Ion Engine Mk. II, Accuracy Corrector] (33)

“Whisper” [Tactician, Veteran Instincts, Twin Ion Engine Mk. II] (36)

Turr Phennir [Royal Guard TIE, Outmaneuver, Autothrusters, Twin Ion Engine Mk. II] (31)

100/100

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

hoiyes posted:

It is probably a good thing the scum Agromech is 2 points, because otherwise 4 Y-Wings with TLT and an Agromech would probably break the game.

My first match with wave 7 is probably going to be 2 of those Y-Wings with Bossk and a mangler cannon (plus some other upgrades to pad out the points.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

waah posted:

Alright, I've been playing with this squad on the bench mark tool and just wanted a little constructive criticism before I put it on the table for real.

Darth Vader [TIE/x1, Predator, Twin Ion Engine Mk. II, Accuracy Corrector] (33)

“Whisper” [Tactician, Veteran Instincts, Twin Ion Engine Mk. II] (36)

Turr Phennir [Royal Guard TIE, Outmaneuver, Autothrusters, Twin Ion Engine Mk. II] (31)

100/100

On Vader with predator, the advanced targeting computer is much better. Vader should never have a problem getting a target lock, and predator all but guarantees a hit. One hit and an added crit is going to be better than two hits. Also, Vader shouldn't be getting stressed, so giving up the engine mod to get the point for the adv target comp keeps your list legal.

I haven't flown phantoms much, but don't they pretty much require advanced cloaking to not get focus fired down the instant it is in range?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I always imagined them to be radiators attached to a super fast engine that made a lot of heat. They couldn't have shields cuz that would've been even hotter and movie-wise the deflectors didn't do much anyway.

First Order TIEs have shields despite being built around the original TIE Fighter design.

The original reason for TIEs not being shielded was because they're intended to be the cheapest possible way to get couple of lasers bolted to a huge engine and flooded at the enemy in massive waves. They don't have hyperdrives or integral life support systems either.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It honestly depends on what's the most dangerous thing on the field. Whisper hurts, but in that list it's not doing a whole lot of wacky poo poo and I can see someone leaving it alone to deal with Vader instead.

Whisper shouldn't need TIE Mk. II though.

And Turr should probably have PTL, so you can chain a barrel roll into an evade or a boost to really arc dodge after you shoot.

Honestly dude your list is really weird and full of things that aren't the best use of your points on those ships.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Just played a game with Imp. Kath, Deathrain, and a Black Sq. on one side and IG-88 B & D on the other. Deathrain and his (her?) cluster mines got 4 kills.

Also, why don't I see Imp Kath + Mangler + Rebel Captive more often? It seemed really strong.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

StuG Jeebus posted:

Just played a game with Imp. Kath, Deathrain, and a Black Sq. on one side and IG-88 B & D on the other. Deathrain and his (her?) cluster mines got 4 kills.

How? :psyduck:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

waah posted:

I did not realize how big the punisher and k wings were. Like significantly bigger than the other fighter bombers.

Spent about 30 minutes reorganizing my Plano just to fit a K-Wing and Punisher because of their size. Dat K-Wang wingspan.

Sadly it's the most fun I've had with X-Wing in months. :smith:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Maybe this says something about my skill level that my mind went straight to this, but my suspicion was that he killed two of his own ships.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Maybe this says something about my skill level that my mind went straight to this, but my suspicion was that he killed two of his own ships.

Deathrain dropped clusters on IG-88 D to kill it even though it meant blowing up the TIE, bad play later ran Kath into more cluster mines, and then Deathrain got a lucky shot on B to finish the game.

If you're asking how I lost to that list, it was a combination of bad play and trying out some sub-optimal choices. (Expert Handling sounds better on paper than it is in practice.)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

alg posted:

Wave 7 just got to my FLGS. Can't wait for TLT Y-wings :getin:

alg posted:

TLT trip report: :getin:

You guys know what I love.

So quick backdrop: I'm moving down to DC for grad school, and decided to have a dumb free for all with two of my friends with each of us flying one of the factions. I'd picked up two K-Wings at GenCon, and since they come with two TLT each (And I'd just split the Most Wanted set with my Scum-flying friend to pick up the Y-Wing cards), I decided to go all-out. Four Gold Squadron Pilots, all with titles, TLTs, and R2 Astromechs, going up against Bossk, Boba, Echo, and Whisper. And holy poo poo, did they own. We each started in a corner, and of course the Scum player and I start baring down at each other. Two turns and a K-Turn later, Bossk is dead, the emergency Headhunter is dead, Boba's taken damage, and all four of my Y-Wings are intact and facing the Phantoms. By the end of the game, I still had two Y-Wings left having functionally fought a 1v2 (My opponents never fired a shot at each other, each one more focused on "those loving Y-Wings" :v:) Seriously, the damage output with the TLT is just obscene, and I'm really tempted to try to register for NOVA with this list if there's still any spots left.

One question did pop up during the game, though-after my Y-Wings K-Turned and started shooting at Bossk, one of them ended up killing him with its primary weapon attack-and then the emergency Headhunter was still in its firing arc. Could it have used its second attack to target the Headhunter? I was pretty sure I could, but we decided against it since A) it wasn't necessary (It got shredded by all the other Y-Wings) and B) my friends were of the opinion that it would have been "Complete bullshit". Is there anything in the FAQ about performing multiple attacks against different targets?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There is no restriction against switching targets with additional attacks unless you're performing an attack twice, like Cluster Missiles or the Twin Laser Turret itself. A primary attack followed up by a secondary attack with the title at a different ship is absolutely allowed, just like a gunner shot at an entirely different target is absolutely allowed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speaking of Y-wings and dumb, obscure "EU" characters, I've always been disappointed Lt. Telsij, aka the "There's too many of them" guy, isn't in X-wing. I mean, dude survived Endor in a Y-wing, that has to make you an automatic badass, right?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wonder what his pilot ability would be.

"As long as you are within range 1 of another friendly ship, you may not be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target that ship instead."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of Y-wings and dumb, obscure "EU" characters, I've always been disappointed Lt. Telsij, aka the "There's too many of them" guy, isn't in X-wing. I mean, dude survived Endor in a Y-wing, that has to make you an automatic badass, right?

I've always been annoyed that Keyan Farlander is in a B-Wing myself, because it wrecks your ability to fly Death Star scenarios with all the named characters who were there in the ships they were in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, never understood why he was in a B-wing. Lack of B-wing pilots and the whole B-Wing expansion to X-wing where it shows he was a test pilot or something I guess?

Strobe posted:

"As long as you are within range 1 of another friendly ship, you may not be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target that ship instead."

Murphey's Law: Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.

• Locked thread