Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's a shame the port is garbage because I sure would love Binding of Isaac on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anora posted:

What is so good about BoI for other systems that makes the 3DS version so bad? Is it just Frame rate? Or does it, like, do your taxes, get you out of parking tickets, and teach you how to be a better lover? I don't want to white knight it any more, as I don't have that much interest in it, but it just seems like you've got a massive hate on for the game, and I don't see why. Do you just hate BoI?

Binding of Isaac runs like poo poo on the Vita. To my understanding it runs a lot worse on the 3DS. It is a Bad Port with bad framerate and loading time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Vita version is fine, haven't played the 3DS version.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The main issue with the 3DS version is that it frequently hard locks the 3DS. And for some reason the auto-save gets hosed up when that happens and so you're forced to restart the floor from the beginning.

Terrible framerate, slow load times and a literally unusable item (aaa battery) are just the icing.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I haven't run into any framerate or crashing/locking issues playing BoI on my N3DS so far but the fact that it requires the N3DS instead of being playable on the normal 3DS is probably a warning sign.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
If Capcom can get Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS, Nicalis has no excuse for not getting BoI on it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Haven't had any problems with Binding of Isaac on 3DS so far, other than a bit of slowdown in a couple of the more enemy-dense rooms.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

PantsBandit posted:

The main issue with the 3DS version is that it frequently hard locks the 3DS. And for some reason the auto-save gets hosed up when that happens and so you're forced to restart the floor from the beginning.[quote]

It doesn't frequently crash my 3DS. I've had maybe 3 hard locks since it came out, which may seem like a lot, but it's not the only game that has hard locked my system. I had a few games that would crash when I put them into sleep mode, and honestly the placement of the power button on the N3DS has hosed me more then BoI.

Of course you're going to lose data if the game crashes, if it does anything to stop you from losing the whole run, that's pretty cool.

[quote]Terrible framerate, slow load times and a literally unusable item (aaa battery) are just the icing.

In order:

It doesn't.
they're no slower then other games. Have you played Bloodborne? Come back at me with slow load times after that. (also, you can hit A to skip the between level cutscenes/load times)
One glitch after the patch that fixed the invisible floor/bosses glitch, it happens.

Has anyone that is complaining about it actually played it on the 3DS? I notice that Kelp and I both have it, and aren't having those issues with it.

Fremry posted:

If Capcom can get Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS, Nicalis has no excuse for not getting BoI on it.

Nicalis is a smaller company then Capcom.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

as a person who thinks binding of isaac is a stupid game and is bad, it's fun to watch nicalis botch the port

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

as a person who thinks binding of isaac is a stupid game and is bad, it's fun to watch nicalis botch the port

Why would you wish bad ports upon other people who just want to enjoy their games? What kind of vitriolic monster are you?!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Anora posted:

Has anyone that is complaining about it actually played it on the 3DS? I notice that Kelp and I both have it, and aren't having those issues with it.

Yeah, I was going to say, all of the in-thread reviews when Binding of Isaac first came out seemed to indicate that it wasn't that bad at all, people were just expecting it to be really buggy.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Amppelix posted:

Why would you wish bad ports upon other people who just want to enjoy their games? What kind of vitriolic monster are you?!

Yes. No one should hope for a game to be buggy or bad, that is monstrous and weird. Everyone enjoy your games, and hope for them to be good, please. :)

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Anora posted:

I've had plenty of hard crashes, it always lets me restart from the floor I was on. I actually think the load time is better than it was on vita. The vita version used to take mpre than minute or two to start. This version is pretty fast. I don't see what people are complaining about with that.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I'm a bad person

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

citizenlowell posted:

I've had plenty of hard crashes, it always lets me restart from the floor I was on. I actually think the load time is better than it was on vita. The vita version used to take mpre than minute or two to start. This version is pretty fast. I don't see what people are complaining about with that.

The load times are the smallest of the issues and one that doesn't really need to be addressed. It's just a little annoying compared to the full version but understandable.

It's mostly the frequent crashing (if this doesn't happen to you, CONGRATS! You're the exception. Do some research on Twitter/reddit) and the fact that there's major slowdown any time you have particular tear combos, such as cricket's body/brimstone/basically anything with a lot of shots going off.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Anora posted:

What is so good about BoI for other systems that makes the 3DS version so bad? Is it just Frame rate? Or does it, like, do your taxes, get you out of parking tickets, and teach you how to be a better lover? I don't want to white knight it any more, as I don't have that much interest in it, but it just seems like you've got a massive hate on for the game, and I don't see why. Do you just hate BoI?

I'm indifferent about BoI, I'm amused by Nicalis' inability to ship anything that isn't obviously broken.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Binding of Isaac is a really cool game but the 3DS port is so obviously poo poo I can't fathom why anyone would feel the need to defend it. Good games get lovely ports all the time. Dark Souls is like my favorite game ever and the PC port was garbage until fans came up with their own patch to make it good. On a side note I cannot for the life of me understand Arkham Knight fans that feel the need to make excuses for the absolutely broken PC port. Are they not able to separate their love for the game itself from their opinions on every single solitary thing relating to the game? If I like Mega Man am I obligated to like Capcom's terrible IOS Mega Man releases?

Besides, didn't this same company release a patch for 1001 Spikes that literally broke the controls? As in, "Oops, our bad you can't control the character properly anymore guess we overlooked that"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nicalis is a piece of poo poo that refuses to patch the eu version of isaac on the ps4

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Davincie posted:

nicalis is a piece of poo poo that refuses to patch the eu version of isaac on the ps4

I really don't understand how they manage to keep getting work or how companies allow their products on their marketplaces. The 3DS version of 1001 Spikes still hasn't been patched as far as I know and it has bugs that prevent you from finishing the game, IIRC. I think even with the crashes BOI on 3ds is one of their better ports.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gunstar heroes is really loving good. Just got killed over and over by the fist boss and then realized you can combine/switch weapon types. Game changer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Indie news! (wrong thread but I'll leave this here)

-Runbow (Wii U) will be out in PAL-land "very soon"; they already have a release date but can't announce it until Sunday.

-Gunman Clive HD Collection (Wii U) will be out in NA on September 3 and cost $3.99; it's a port of the two 3DS games with some minor extras.

-The Swindle (Wii U) will be out in PAL-land on September 10 and probably out in NA on the same day. No price, but it's $14.99 everywhere else.

-Year Walk (Wii U) will be out in both regions on September 17; it looks like they put a lot of effort into reworking the game for two screens and to make use of all the gamepad gimmicks. No price, but the PC version is $5.99.

-The BoI 3DS patch didn't actually come out today, it seems. Oops.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-The BoI 3DS patch didn't actually come out today, it seems. Oops.

:lol:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PantsBandit posted:

Gunstar heroes is really loving good. Just got killed over and over by the fist boss and then realized you can combine/switch weapon types. Game changer.

If you turn on Gunslinger Mode you can carry all the weapon types at once and completely break the game.

Check out Sin & Punishment 1/2 if you haven't already - same devs, similar style of game but in 3D.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

citizenlowell posted:

I really don't understand how they manage to keep getting work or how companies allow their products on their marketplaces. The 3DS version of 1001 Spikes still hasn't been patched as far as I know and it has bugs that prevent you from finishing the game, IIRC. I think even with the crashes BOI on 3ds is one of their better ports.

Knowing nothing about them I'm going to assume they carry a low price tag

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Augus posted:

I think Binding of Isaac is a really cool game but the 3DS port is so obviously poo poo I can't fathom why anyone would feel the need to defend it. Good games get lovely ports all the time. Dark Souls is like my favorite game ever and the PC port was garbage until fans came up with their own patch to make it good. On a side note I cannot for the life of me understand Arkham Knight fans that feel the need to make excuses for the absolutely broken PC port. Are they not able to separate their love for the game itself from their opinions on every single solitary thing relating to the game? If I like Mega Man am I obligated to like Capcom's terrible IOS Mega Man releases?

Besides, didn't this same company release a patch for 1001 Spikes that literally broke the controls? As in, "Oops, our bad you can't control the character properly anymore guess we overlooked that"

Have you personally played the 3DS BoI?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Works On My Game Boy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new JP trailer for Lost Reaver, the f2p Wii U game from Namco formerly known as Project Treasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4CHF7o2Z88

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Here's a new JP trailer for Lost Reaver, the f2p Wii U game from Namco formerly known as Project Treasure:

Looks janky and that framerate is pretty bad, but since it's F2P I might give it a shot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I'll give this a shot

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the PR from NOA's indie event; you can see all the trailers here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDUsBHxMOCI2g9Ig299hoBAs

quote:

During a presentation at Nintendo’s Nindies@Night event at EMP Museum in Seattle, Nintendo made several announcements about the future of independent games on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems. These announcements included the reveal of a Shovel Knight amiibo figure from Yacht Club Games that unlocks exclusive features for the hit game on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, making it the first indie game to support amiibo technology. Other reveals at the event include the upcoming launch of Kerbal Space Program for Wii U early next year with exclusive features and functionality, first-look Wii U debuts for Hive Jump and FAST Racing Neo multiplayer game play, along with exciting details concerning each of these anticipated Nindies.

For the first time, exclusive to the Wii U version of the game, players can scan the Shovel Knight a ...
For the first time, exclusive to the Wii U version of the game, players can scan the Shovel Knight amiibo and take on Shovel Knight’s quest cooperatively with a friend. (Photo: Business Wire)

“Not only do we have a robust slate of indie games launching in the Nintendo eShop, but these games also contain features that can only be found on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS,” said Damon Baker, Nintendo of America’s Senior Marketing Manager of Publisher and Developer Relations. “Creating an amiibo that’s compatible with all current and future Shovel Knight games shows that our strong relationship with independent developers is constantly evolving.”

“It’s been a great honor to work directly with Nintendo, creating a Shovel Knight amiibo that sits beside their most beloved characters,” said Yacht Club Games. “We are elated to expand the world of Shovel Knight, and to keep developing unique game-play experiences on Nintendo’s platforms.”

For the first time, exclusive to the Wii U version of the game, players can scan the Shovel Knight amiibo and take on Shovel Knight’s quest cooperatively with a friend. On Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, the amiibo can be used to level up and customize Shovel Knight with new visual enhancements, relics and abilities. These abilities can then be used in new, exclusive amiibo challenge levels. To top it off, the amiibo figure will be supported in future Shovel Knight games.

Yacht Club Games also revealed that the free DLC for Shovel Knight that lets players play as fan-favorite enemy Plague Knight will launch in September. Shovel Knight can be purchased in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS for $14.99. Packaged retail versions of the game for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS will also be available in North America this October.

Graphite Lab and Black Lantern Studios showcased the first playable version of Wii U-exclusive Hive Jump, demonstrating exclusive features for the platform. Hive Jump is a fast-paced multiplayer action platformer for up to four players. Players engage in run ’n’ gun combat with swarms of aliens, all the while avoiding traps and collecting resources. The developers discussed how the Wii U Game Pad would be used in the game, as well as plans for amiibo support, which will be included when it launches in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U in early 2016.

To talk about FAST Racing Neo, Shin’en Multimedia joined the presentation to discuss multiplayer game play. FAST Racing Neo earns the title “Fast” by throwing players into a futuristic racer with hyper-fast anti-gravity vehicles. Up to four players can race against each other in split-screen local multiplayer, with up to eight racers able to participate in online multiplayer. (Additional controllers are required for local multiplayer.) FAST Racing Neo will launch exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U before the end of the year.

Squad’s Kerbal Space Program, with the help of Flying Tiger, was announced for Wii U and will launch early next year. A physics-based space flight simulator, Kerbal Space Program allows players to manage their own space program by building and flying spacecraft. In the Wii U version of the game, players can control their ship from inside the cockpit using the Wii U GamePad controller, as well as create flight plans with the touch screen and steer with motion controls. The critically acclaimed Kerbal Space Program will launch in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Nintendo also announced the latest content refresh to the Indie Game Revolution exhibition hosted by EMP. Visitors to the Seattle museum are now able to experience new award-winning Wii U games, including upcoming and recently released content like Typoman (Headup Games / Brainseed), Year Walk (Simogo / Dakko Dakko) and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Nicalis, Inc).

In all, 19 games were available to play at the Nindies@Night event at EMP Museum, showcasing a variety of content for all attendees. All these upcoming games and updates coupled with recent efforts like Nindies@Home further reinforce the growing support Nintendo has shown for independent developers. With numerous other indie games launching on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in the near future, fans will always find a wide variety of Nindies to play on Nintendo systems.

Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcS0uINYRz0

this game looks rad

they should add amiibo support for captain falcon

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

To top it off, the amiibo figure will be supported in future Shovel Knight games.

Oh drat did they just say that

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kelp Plankton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcS0uINYRz0

this game looks rad

they should add amiibo support for captain falcon

Day one purchase. Scratches all sorts of itches just looking at it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The Shovel Knight Amiibo unlocks challenge modes? Looks like I'll finally be buying an Amiibo. Also, Shantae looks awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New EU Club Nintendo update: Nintendo Sound Selection: Endings & Credits OST, 3000 Stars: http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/products/nintendo-sound-selection-endings--credits-471

This is the final Nintendo Sound Selection OST and was conceived as a send-off to Club Nintendo; it features a collection of credits tunes and ending themes to classic games from NES to Wii U. 2 discs, 30 tracks; liner notes in English. Track list:

quote:

Disc 1

01 Famicom Tantei Club PART II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo (Staff Roll) 3:07
02 Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (Staff Roll) 3:08
03 Super Mario World (Ending) 4:12
04 F-ZERO (Ending) 1:08
05 Super Metroid (Ending) 3:07
06 Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (The Continent Thereafter) 6:13
07 Super Mario 64 (Staff Roll) 3:26
08 Yoshi's Story (Story of Yoshi) 3:40
09 Luigi's Mansion (Staff Roll) 2:24
10 Super Mario Sunshine (Staff Roll) 1:44
11 Metroid Prime (Ending Staff Roll) 3:15
12 Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Staff Roll) 2:18
13 Daigassou! Band Brothers (Barbara the Bat's Theme) 2:24
14 Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (Staff Credits) 1:56
15 Personal Trainer: Cooking (Kitchen Song) 3:40
16 The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Staff Roll) 3:40

Disc 2

01 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Staff Roll) 10:28
02 Super Mario Galaxy 4:05
03 Wii Play: Motion (Staff Roll) 3:27
04 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Staff Roll) 7:06
05 Star Fox 64 3D (Staff Credits) 9:31
06 Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (The Sakura Bloom) 1:39
07 Mario Kart 7 (Staff Roll) 4:00
08 Find Mii II (Find Mii II Ending) 1:32
09 The Symbolic Tree (Animal Crossing: New Leaf) 2:16
10 Staff Credits ~From "Tomodachi Life"~ 2:56
11 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Staff Roll) 8:49
12 Pikmin 3 (Staff Roll) 2:47
13 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Staff Roll) 4:19
14 NES Remix Pack (Records Roll)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 28, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It would've been cool if they had announced that like 6 months ago when club nintendo ended and I still had star points to spend

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nintendo sent out an email in May saying they were going to add more stuff so loads of people hoarded their stars. That soundtrack wasn't mentioned in that email and is a nice surprise.

Still waiting for the Goodbye Coin.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looks like the Isaac patch is finally up. It'll be interesting to see how much of a different it makes.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
13AM Games @13amgames
Hey #Runbow fans! If you're experiencing frame rate issues, try moving Runbow from an external drive to the internal storage! #workinonit
9:03 PM - 28 Aug 2015

It's unplayable if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Um, is Nintendo not aware that there were games on the previous generation of consoles that allowed 16-player multiplayer?