Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
For me skyhammer has been the best. Followed by fragger but keeping him fed with ammo sucks when you havent learned the maps yet.

oh is anyone here doing competitive play?

Jst0rm fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Jst0rm posted:

I haven't seen enough goons around to give it a go. gently caress trying with randoms. Having weak links on the team is a real issue.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
yeah 5v5 leaves no room for gently caress ups.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jst0rm posted:

For me skyhammer has been the best. Followed by fragger but keeping him fed with ammo sucks when you havent learned the maps yet.

I pretty much only play comp matches because I find 5v5 the most fun though I've mostly played with randos. It's often serviceable but not infrequently infuriating.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

I pretty much only play comp matches because I find 5v5 the most fun though I've mostly played with randos. It's often serviceable but not infrequently infuriating.

See I'm not good enough yet to play those comp matches. I don't know the maps yet and I only really get the mechanics of sky hammer. That's how I do it though. I try to perfect one thing at a time. Hell I could of done that without ever giving them a penny but I knew I liked the game so I got the starter pack.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012
Comp is great fun with a team of 5 even if you get your rear end kicked. I play kira almost entirely with the new buffed br16 and basically murderize everything. Apparently the average player doesn't know what to do about a giant laser of death chasing them down.

It's kind of stupidly easy to wipe most of the team with a good laser strike. I expect this will change once my rank increases.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Death by Chickens posted:

It's kind of stupidly easy to wipe most of the team with a good laser strike. I expect this will change once my rank increases.

Just wait until you start getting matched with teams that run double or even triple Fragger and your team gets 'naded right as your spawn invulnerability ends. Repeatedly. :suicide:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I played a bit of saw bone last night. I think the key mappings are kind of messy. Sky hammers packs are on one key and saw bones packs are on the other. I ended up switching back to sky hammer and dropping a air strike on my spawn like a retard because I got used to the med packs being on that key. I am going to have to look into cfg to switch that around or is the in game menu on a per merc basis?

Anyways the smg9 is pretty nice. Decent spread with burst for farther distances. Sounds good too.

FattsTerminal
May 7, 2013

Jst0rm posted:

So I played a bit of saw bone last night. I think the key mappings are kind of messy. Sky hammers packs are on one key and saw bones packs are on the other. I ended up switching back to sky hammer and dropping a air strike on my spawn like a retard because I got used to the med packs being on that key. I am going to have to look into cfg to switch that around or is the in game menu on a per merc basis?

I wish we could set separate keybinds for each merc. Id at least like to swap all the medic special abilities because of the same problem you had.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

Anyways the smg9 is pretty nice. Decent spread with burst for farther distances. Sounds good too.

It's easier to remember which is which when you think of Q as 'quick primary ability' (medpaks/airstrike ) and E as ' quick secondary ability' (defib/ammo packs). Q is always the unique class-specific ability while E is the more generic role-specific one.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Bloodmobile posted:

It's easier to remember which is which when you think of Q as 'quick primary ability' (medpaks/airstrike ) and E as ' quick secondary ability' (defib/ammo packs). Q is always the unique class-specific ability while E is the more generic role-specific one.

This makes no sense. Secondary ability is always going to be packs. If you asked me what sawbonez primary ability was I'd say its his defib.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Let's not forget that proxy has one ability and it's not in the first ability slot. Or that it displays abilities bound to mouse buttons as "RMB". :cripes:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

This makes no sense. Secondary ability is always going to be packs. If you asked me what sawbonez primary ability was I'd say its his defib.

But, see, every medic has a defib, but only sawbonez has a medpak. That's why medpak is on Q and defib is on E. Every fire support has ammo, that's why it's on E, but only Skyhammer has the airstrike marker, which is why it's on Q. So just replace 'primary' and 'secondary' with 'class-specific' and 'role-specific' if that helps.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Bloodmobile posted:

But, see, every medic has a defib, but only sawbonez has a medpak. That's why medpak is on Q and defib is on E. Every fire support has ammo, that's why it's on E, but only Skyhammer has the airstrike marker, which is why it's on Q. So just replace 'primary' and 'secondary' with 'class-specific' and 'role-specific' if that helps.

The keys are not intuitive. Ammo should be the same key as medkits. Fire support offensive abilities should stay uniform on a single button. Preferably the same key as mines or nades.

I can't think of any other FPS that has this problem. Battlefield and Planetside 2 didn't follow a nonsensical layout and the latter let you bind ability buttons separately for each class.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't see what's unintuitive about it at all. You press E to make your guy do his class-specific thing. You press Q to make him do his special, not class-specific thing.

Makes sense to me.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

It's so intuitive it messes around with muscle memory and does its own thing unlike the last four shooters I've played. If there really is an argument for keeping things they are now then letting people fully customise their keybindings is a win-win

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Yeah it makes sense how it is. I don't think i've ever been confused by the Q/E bindings.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah me neither. I just looked at the abilities and went "ok".

FattsTerminal
May 7, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't see what's unintuitive about it at all. You press E to make your guy do his class-specific thing. You press Q to make him do his special, not class-specific thing.

Makes sense to me.

I press E to re load, and have other dumb keybindings that gently caress everything up (my fault) But it would be fixed if there was a merc specific keybind option.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If you have access to cfg files you can bind a key to run a script to change key bindings for a few keys for your primary mercs. This is a bit wonky for that should work. Although I don't know how much cfg editorial and commands this game has yet. Still learning with 9 hours in game.

Oh and I think all packs should be on a key because of muscle memory. You just want to not think and do.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
This game is pretty fun but every time I try to open a case I get a network error and i'm completely unable to get new mercs as well (the only reason I even know I should be able to is that I watched some vids of other people playing)

So despite the game being pretty fun, being completely unable to actually progress and open the near dozen cases I've acquired is really putting a damper on things. I had this issue when it was first released but I really expected it to be fixed by now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bloodmobile posted:

But Sparks has a revive gun instead of defibs, in addition to health packs like Sawbonez. So by your logic, the health packs could be on E and the revive gun on Q.

A better general rule might be that abilities are ordered by cooldown lengths, but even that breaks down once you start to look other mercs. Another idea is that one is your 'temporary' ability (defibs used for split second) versus your 'persistent' ability (health packs that sit around for a while), but then you have the inconsistency of some mercs getting one ability versus two.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Then Nader goes :happyelf: off of the F key.

Edit: vvv

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 29, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just look at your keys when you spawn in, it takes about a tenth of a second.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

dogstile posted:

Just look at your keys when you spawn in, it takes about a tenth of a second.

Muscle memory is a thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sedisp posted:

Muscle memory is a thing.

I know, mine kicks in on a per merc basis so this really doesn't bother me.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

I know, mine kicks in on a per merc basis so this really doesn't bother me.

I dont see how thats possible. Sure after a few minutes you are back in the groove but yeah. The simple solution is a per merc keymap that the player can adjust.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jst0rm posted:

I dont see how thats possible. Sure after a few minutes you are back in the groove but yeah. The simple solution is a per merc keymap that the player can adjust.

Mentally associate the key presses with the merc rather than the merc to the key presses.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Mentally associate the key presses with the merc rather than the merc to the key presses.

Yes but thats removing muscle memory from the equation. In a competitive you must use muscle memory only for certain things or else you are dead. The alternative is to only play one merc only.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jst0rm posted:

Yes but thats removing muscle memory from the equation. In a competitive you must use muscle memory only for certain things or else you are dead. The alternative is to only play one merc only.

No, when I play as Sawbonez my reaction to seeing someone with low hp is not to press the "throw ammo" hotkey and vice versa with Skyhammer. All buttons always does the same thing. Q will always heal, E will always give ammo, Q will always call for fire support, and Q will always be your grenades. If you mix up healthkits and ammo then you're the one who hasn't gotten the muscle memory down.

watho fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 30, 2015

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

No, when I play as Sawbonez my reaction to seeing someone with low hp is not to press the "throw ammo" hotkey and vice versa with Skyhammer. All buttons always does the same thing. Q will always heal, E will always give ammo, Q will always call for fire support, and Q will always be your grenades. If you mix up healthkits and ammo then you're the one who hasn't gotten the muscle memory down.

ok fair enough. Ill keep at it.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

:thesperg:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lol is this discussion seriously still going

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Dont know if you guys are into tweaked cfg gameplay but here is a video with a stripped down version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK-6m54Jey4

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, we're not really going to end up playing LEGO Qua... oh wait, it's Splash Damage, of course we are.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

Dont know if you guys are into tweaked cfg gameplay but here is a video with a stripped down version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK-6m54Jey4

That video's from february, all those cfg settings got locked months ago. You can't really do a lot outside of what the in game options let you anymore.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

That video's from february, all those cfg settings got locked months ago. You can't really do a lot outside of what the in game options let you anymore.

sorry man. I just found this game :( I will check into what can be done today.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Jst0rm posted:

sorry man. I just found this game :( I will check into what can be done today.

Here you go. Just scroll down to "Sick6 newb's config," that and everything below it are what you're looking for. I believe this is just about the full extent of what's possible these days. These configs aren't much compared to what used to be possible but they certainly do a decent job of boosting performance and reducing a lot of the unnecessary visual noise.

As a comparison, here are some samples from the quake style config I was using before the pre-redeye update killed it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The configs used to remove particle effects so people could see through skyhammer strikes perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

No Phoenix today, next week

• Locked thread