Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I didn't crash :words:

I don't think he read what he missed :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xaarman posted:

So this is making the rounds on Facebook....

https://soundcloud.com/atc-atc/booty-call

AWSEFT posted:

The Slaughter is on his first day of IOE in the E170.

I heard he kept his hat on the whole flight.

Edit: You should beg him for the photo of him in his hat and jacket. :)
You can block out your face Slaughter.

hmmmmm

uh, ignore the dates

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

So is pilot pay still garbage? I heard a while ago from that it was a better idea to work in retail or even fast food, or that you needed one of those jobs to supplement your pay if you worked for a major airline. Is this still the situation? Apologies if this has been posted about recently, if anyone could link me to a post about it that would be appreciated.

What AWSEFT posted is a really good summary, and it does look like things are finally changing for the better in regards to pilot pay.

The current pilot shortage (aka "the majors started hiring again)" is starting to hit regionals pretty hard, to the point where the bottom feeders in terms of pay and contract quality (*cough* Republic *cough*) can't get people to work there even with fairly substantial signing bonuses, and they're cancelling a ton of flights as a result.

Since the industry has finally shifted towards a "pilot's market", the management strategy of "threaten to give the flying to someone else unless the pilots take pay cuts" is completely toothless right now (since regionals can barely staff their current contracts, let alone add any new flying) , to the point where even a non-union regional had to offer their pilots a pretty nice pay and benefit increase to try and attract enough new people to keep up with attrition.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Thanks for the responses, it's good to see that things are changing for the better finally in regards to pilots getting paid decently.

I can see why people were taking side jobs as a loving major airline pilot at $20,064 a year with massive amounts of debt though, Jesus H.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mercury_Storm posted:

Thanks for the responses, it's good to see that things are changing for the better finally in regards to pilots getting paid decently.

I can see why people were taking side jobs as a loving major airline pilot at $20,064 a year with massive amounts of debt though, Jesus H.

Not at the majors, just the regionals.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Oh, so pay was actually good if you were working for American or Delta or something like that? I assumed in was an industry wide issue and companies were squeezing pilots as hard as they could because they could get away with it at the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's my general feeling that there's eventually going to be a massive reckoning, because a lot of people were probably like myself and decided against a career as a pilot simply due to the employment conditions. If enough people, who otherwise would've become pilots, have done that... it's going to be a very, very bad time to be an airline and a very good time to be one of the pilots that actually stuck it out.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So my flight school is making me get insurance for the one day of my checkride. This is dumb. How much should I expect to pay? What company? I plan to buy and cancel 24 hours later.

~2k hours ME Turbine, 700 TPIC, 1st class flight physical

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mercury_Storm posted:

Oh, so pay was actually good if you were working for American or Delta or something like that? I assumed in was an industry wide issue and companies were squeezing pilots as hard as they could because they could get away with it at the time.

Captain Sully was the public poster child for heavily slashed pay at the majors. My mom saw an interview after he became the talking head he is today where he talked about how his salary had been gutted to somewhere in the $60k/year range as an A320 family captain for US Airways. I don't know how much he was making beforehand.

I'd imagine it's all relative. An early-in-their-career regional FO would certainly kill for Sully's "paltry" $60,000, but for a Major captain, it was a kick in the teeth.

PT6A posted:

It's my general feeling that there's eventually going to be a massive reckoning, because a lot of people were probably like myself and decided against a career as a pilot simply due to the employment conditions. If enough people, who otherwise would've become pilots, have done that... it's going to be a very, very bad time to be an airline and a very good time to be one of the pilots that actually stuck it out.

I'd imagine there are plenty. Even those who "made it" are leaving: I have a couple friends who went from instructing to night cargo (Shorts 360)/corporate turboprop (Brasilia) flying to BeechJets and :lol: if they're going to the airlines. I know guys who left Colgan and PSA for corporate-land; one has an employer "who basically owns him" that he had to beg for health insurance but "at least it's not the airlines". I hung it up in 2013 just past 200TT after realizing that the money being pumped into it, governmental bullshit, and the time it was going to take to get to 1,500 (I'd have been a CFI in Ohio. You don't fly much from November to March.) just to make poo poo pay wasn't worth it. All of that combined to affect my enjoyment of flying altogether.

...in the end, it was probably the best thing for me flying-wise. After getting things straightened out, I can't wait to do a BFR and be able to play around an hour or two at a time every now and then once I get my medical.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 26, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Even those who "made it" are leaving: I have a couple friends who went from instructing to night cargo (Shorts 360)/corporate turboprop (Brasilia) flying to BeechJets and :lol: if they're going to the airlines. I know guys who left Colgan and PSA for corporate-land; one has an employer "who basically owns him" that he had to beg for health insurance but "at least it's not the airlines".

Good corporate jobs are hard to find but they are out there. I got really lucky.

NetJets is hiring again, maybe he can move there and bitch about his crew meals like they do. [PDFs]
NetJets Breakfast Menu
NetJets Lunch Menu
NetJets Dinner Menu

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

AWSEFT posted:

Good corporate jobs are hard to find but they are out there. I got really lucky.

NetJets is hiring again, maybe he can move there and bitch about his crew meals like they do. [PDFs]
NetJets Breakfast Menu
NetJets Lunch Menu
NetJets Dinner Menu

Egg White Power Wrap

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Pilots at the majors still make good money (most start FO's in the $50-60k range, and captains top out around $200k), but pilots at the legacy carriers lost their pensions and took massive pay cuts (if they didn't get furloughed) post 9/11, so a lot of them are about where they were a decade or so ago in terms of pay right now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AWSEFT posted:

NetJets Breakfast Menu
NetJets Lunch Menu
NetJets Dinner Menu

Is it just me or do the grilled chicken fingers look undercooked?

I was picked by my high school for a job shadowing/"mentoring" experience my Junior year and went to NetJets' Ops Center at CMH. I remember sharing the hand-me-down and unclaimed in-flight catering trays as snacks with the flight followers I shadowed. Fruit trays, veggie platters, cheese plates.

I also distinctly remember one Citation captain who stopped by the followers' desk and, upon prompting from the guy I shadowed in terms of a "What advice would you give him for a flying career", he responded "Don't do it.". He (flight follower) was horrified.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

Since the industry has finally shifted towards a "pilot's market", the management strategy of "threaten to give the flying to someone else unless the pilots take pay cuts" is completely toothless right now (since regionals can barely staff their current contracts, let alone add any new flying) , to the point where even a non-union regional had to offer their pilots a pretty nice pay and benefit increase to try and attract enough new people to keep up with attrition.

the $30h/hr pay raise is pretty good for us first year guys, but the 1.5% for everyone else was kind of insulting I thought. A lot of my colleagues over at Angry Pilot Central (not my nickname for that place unfortunately) were dumbfounded it passed on the second try.

Not looking forward to the brewing shitstorm over at RAH. We might have a few of E175 drivers knocking on our door soon, or a lot of new flying suddenly smacking us in the face in a couple months :derp:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

xaarman posted:

So my flight school is making me get insurance for the one day of my checkride. This is dumb. How much should I expect to pay? What company? I plan to buy and cancel 24 hours later.

~2k hours ME Turbine, 700 TPIC, 1st class flight physical

You left out the most important number (not sure the insurance companies even care about hours for non-owned policies): how much hull coverage do they require you to have? Presuming that amount is well below the actual cost of the aircraft and covers their deductible only, how judgement-proof are you if/when their insurance company subrogates and sues you for the difference if the crash is due to your negligence?

You should be able to get online quotes from Avemco, AOPA or EAA. I think I pay $300 or so annually for $10k of hull, and mid-range liability coverage. Haven't seen any of them offer for periods under a year, but you may be able to get an annual policy and a refund for any unconsumed premium after you cancel unless they say the premium is fully consumed when coverage starts.

They didn't require you to have insurance for your training? No solo flight time needed to prep for the ATP?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Neither of the flight schools I have rented from have required me to carry insurance, in the U.S.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

fordan posted:

You left out the most important number (not sure the insurance companies even care about hours for non-owned policies): how much hull coverage do they require you to have? Presuming that amount is well below the actual cost of the aircraft and covers their deductible only, how judgement-proof are you if/when their insurance company subrogates and sues you for the difference if the crash is due to your negligence?

You should be able to get online quotes from Avemco, AOPA or EAA. I think I pay $300 or so annually for $10k of hull, and mid-range liability coverage. Haven't seen any of them offer for periods under a year, but you may be able to get an annual policy and a refund for any unconsumed premium after you cancel unless they say the premium is fully consumed when coverage starts.

They didn't require you to have insurance for your training? No solo flight time needed to prep for the ATP?

Minimum legal coverage. No solo time needed... 3-4 flights and a check. Insurance not needed when flying with their instructors, just with the examiner.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

xaarman posted:

Minimum legal coverage. No solo time needed... 3-4 flights and a check. Insurance not needed when flying with their instructors, just with the examiner.

That's strange, I did my multi engine training at an FBO that had some dumbass insurance requirements for their seminole (the school had a few issues with people forgetting to lower the landing gear) and this wasn't even a requirement for them.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Dumb. Some guy taxied over a cone and bent one of then props, so school is extra sensitive right now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

xaarman posted:

Sounds like my Seaplane rating but with that the DPE was the business owner (what conflict of interest?) so insurance was never required.

There is no US federal legal requirement to have insurance to fly for Part 91/GA operations. Some states impose an insurance requirement but FL isn't one of them from what I can google. Probably need to ask the FBO what insurance they are looking for before allowing you to rent. The FBOs and Clubs I've dealt with have all required a policy that would cover their deductible so they wouldn't be out any money on the aircraft in the event of an accident (and also failed to tell people they could be on the hook for the rest of the cost of the airplane if the FBO's insurance decides to subrogate).

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So much legroom today in the Cherokee.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Man we're all just giving out our reddit names :downs:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
You must be shocked that I use such different usernames on websites with similar themes.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
For anyone after an airline job and with the right to work in the UK.

Thomas Cook (TCX) opened recruitment this morning. After minimum of 50 FO/SFO and after years of stagnation minimum 28 commands being handed out (that's 1/8 of the FO list).

If more details are needed please get hold of me as it tends to be done on people known to current crews first.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

helno posted:

You must be shocked that I use such different usernames on websites with similar themes.

Seems most of us do

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Prelim is out on the mid air between the Cessna Skyhawk and the Sabreliner in Southern California.

quote:

NTSB.gov
Witnesses observed the accident airplanes on the downwind leg of the traffic pattern at SDM. The witnesses turned momentarily, but then observed an explosion followed by sections of the airplanes falling to the ground. Another witness located about 2 miles east-northeast of SDM observed both airplanes at the same altitude, flying towards each other. The smaller airplane was flying from the airport, and the larger airplane was flying to the airport and descending. He stated that both airplanes did not appear to have made any avoidance actions prior to the collision. After the collision, the smaller airplane broke apart; the larger airplane banked left, impacted the ground and exploded.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
So this happened, I guess. I didn't see it mentioned here yet? ATC vectored a Bonanza with an engine failure to Bethpage Airport, which hasn't existed since like the late 90's.

Flying Magazine posted:

Accident investigators are trying to determine why a New York-area air traffic controller directed the pilot of a Beech Bonanza who died in the crash of his airplane earlier this month toward a nonexistent airport in the middle of an industrial area, possibly giving the man false hope as he desperately searched for a suitable emergency landing spot.

Link

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Sounds like n90 needs to update their video maps!

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

hjp766 posted:

For anyone after an airline job and with the right to work in the UK.

Thomas Cook (TCX) opened recruitment this morning. After minimum of 50 FO/SFO and after years of stagnation minimum 28 commands being handed out (that's 1/8 of the FO list).

If more details are needed please get hold of me as it tends to be done on people known to current crews first.

Well, unless they wanted already-typed crews I guess we'll be losing a handful more E-jet drivers over our way - we always seem to when any other UK outfit hires!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So who has gone with a digital flight bag? I'm tempted to go whole hog with the Garmin Pilot or Foreflight but can't quit pull the proverbial trigger.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

So this happened, I guess. I didn't see it mentioned here yet? ATC vectored a Bonanza with an engine failure to Bethpage Airport, which hasn't existed since like the late 90's.

Link

We were talking about it in both the AI and ATC threads, so hopefully folks don't mind my reply in triplicate:

The Ferret King posted:

What a bummer. I wonder if the radar maps available to the controllers there are old.

Here's what that site looks like now:

http://tinyurl.com/pgq9kpo

Here's some info on the airport that used to exist:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Airfields_NY_LongIs_Nassau.htm#bethpage

In 2003, only about 1/4 of the runway remained as unmaintained pavement. Whether it was landable then or not is questionable, and there certainly isn't anything that's useful for aircraft there now.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Line check complete. Flew over Ferretking's airspace yesterday but he wasn't working. Other controller goons I am coming, but I forgot where y'all work. :/ we've got Cali and... Florida covered right? (I won't be in Florida but definitely California a ton)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

(I won't be in Florida but definitely California a ton)

:reject:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Line check complete. Flew over Ferretking's airspace yesterday but he wasn't working. Other controller goons I am coming, but I forgot where y'all work. :/ we've got Cali and... Florida covered right? (I won't be in Florida but definitely California a ton)

You didn't even get one of our friendlier controllers.

Did he sound irritated? He's always irritated. He retires in a month.

He should have retired years ago.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

So who has gone with a digital flight bag? I'm tempted to go whole hog with the Garmin Pilot or Foreflight but can't quit pull the proverbial trigger.

Been using Garmin pilot for two years now, it's great.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

He didn't sound irritated, nah..

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Link

That's sad. Normally runways stick around for a while after an airport closes, but from Google Earth's historical imagery it looks like they erased it pretty quickly. It's like 4nm from another, active airport though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah it seems there was about a 1,500ft stretch of the closed runway remaining until sometime between 2005-2007 (by the water tower that's still standing), but it's all gone now.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The Ferret King posted:

Is that marbles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Is that marbles?

Nope, Marbles is even crankier, but that's an excellent guess.

The Navy's Training Wing 4 flies some formation flights now using the callsign "Marbles" on their internal-use frequencies.

The guy talks like he has marbles in his mouth, for most of us who aren't in on the joke.

"Cleared... EYE-ELL-ESHHHHHH...ZULU...RUNWAYONETHREERIGHTAPPROACH CONTACT TARRRRRRRRR"

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 28, 2015

• Locked thread