Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
From talking with them through my life I am of the general opinion that cops and law enforcement in general fall on average well below an acceptable amount of intelligence and I'm glad that I make much more money than they do. That's just my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
My impression of an average cop: unghhh yea boys in blue...i got bullied in high school so now i serve the zionists who pay me my meager sheckles to get shot at by bl*cks ... i also get horned up as hell looking at other boys in blue and im gay with them all the time haha... Fuckin yea thin blue line...

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Kalman posted:

The test showed he wasn't the person whose semen was found. The prosecutor agreed - and decided to charge him anyway, on the theory that the semen belonged to a (imaginary) consensual partner and Deskovic killed her out of jealousy. The case was built entirely on a falsely obtained confession that contradicted the DNA evidence.

You know how you sometimes point out to people that this isn't the hill they want to die on? The Deskovic case is not a hill you want to die on.

I'm not arguing he wasn't a case of actual innocence...however, it is possible for a victim to have semen from someone other than the killer in them. Women are allowed to have sex with people. It's not an unreasonable theory, especially if you have a confession. The problem here is they claimed it was a case of withholding evidence...they didn't withhold it. They interpreted it differently. It's not an uncommon motive theory. See e.g. Michael Skakel. Another "innocent" man, awarded a new trial because of the unjust criminal justice system

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 28, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm not talking Miranda, although I am talking prophylaxis. I mean, it's not like the Miranda rule is constitutionally required, and probably wouldn't have been created if police were disciplined for illegal searches.

Miranda wasn't created because of illegal searches...did you mean Wong Sun? either way, I don't mind the exclusionary rule. Get a warrant.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not arguing he wasn't a case of actual innocence...however, it is possible for a victim to have semen from someone other than the killer in them. Women are allowed to have sex with people. It's not an unreasonable theory, especially if you have a confession.

Have you ever sat back and thought about what kind of context you create with the things you write? That is, envision your posts as a sort of common law. What does it say?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Here's a question: if the probability of the truth or falsehood of confessions is impossible to determine, even theoretically, then why should we rely on them when the standard for conviction is proof beyond a reasonable doubt?

we don't. A confession has to be corroborated by some outside evidence.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ActusRhesus posted:

we don't. A confession has to be corroborated by some outside evidence.

A nice idea.

On the other hand, recorded history proves otherwise.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

A nice idea.

On the other hand, recorded history proves otherwise.

You are incorrect. look up corpus delecti rule.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ActusRhesus posted:

You are incorrect, look up all the false convictions of people based off their coerced confession.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dr Pepper posted:

You are incorrect, look up all the false convictions of people based off their coerced confession.

Corpus delicti means that there must be proof of a crime to convict someone, so by the powers of pedantry, I have the power to say that, technically, nobody has ever been truly or falsely convicted solely on the basis of a confession*

*excluding police states, and, well, let's just paper over the years from 1890-1940 a bit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

we don't. A confession has to h be corroborated by some outside evidence.

Okay well you right now are white-knighting a case where a guy was convicted with zero outside evidence except a confession bolstered by notes the prosecutor "remembered to submit" that added details to the confession to explain away outside evidence that contradicted the original confession sooooooooooo

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

"Such proof, however, may be circumstantial and need only be a slight or prima facie showing "permitting the reasonable inference that a crime was committed.""

Not that the confesser did it or was in any way involved. Confession + body is enough to satisfy corpus delicti for murder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So the fact that I can't be convicted of theft for falsely confessing to stealing Obama's watch when he's not missing a watch is proof that there's plenty of legal safeguards against false confessions?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Why is it that you get to tell us to look things up, and on the same page I see you demand proof and citations for others?

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

ActusRhesus posted:

You sound angry. Calm down. The fact is, when you rely on things like the lapointe case you undermine your credibility. You clearly aren't looking for true understanding of the actual issues in play.

Don't do this. The zeroing in on one portion of an argument in a vain attempt to not have to address the rest is so draining to read.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

How can anyone write anything supportive about the Innocence Project after the poo poo they pulled with Alstory Simon?

http://m.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/duped-by-innocence-project-milwaukee-man-now-free-b99386015z1-281852841.html

Providing a free lawyer who was in on a plan to trick him into confessing is reprehensible.

I can't believe the Innocence Project is allowed to operate courts and sentence people to prison, that's outrageous.

If only he'd been tried by the state he wouldn't have had to worry about going to jail based on.a false confession.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Spoke Lee posted:

Don't do this. The zeroing in on one portion of an argument in a vain attempt to not have to address the rest is so draining to read.
Why are people presenting parts of arguments that apparently don't matter? I really don't get the requests to not engage with what people actually say.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

twodot posted:

Why are people presenting parts of arguments that apparently don't matter? I really don't get the requests to not engage with what people actually say.

Because, as you have demonstrated, there is at least one illiterate/semiliterate posting, and their, your, ability to "engage" with "what people actually say" is limited.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

There are evidentiary rules that require *some* corroborating evidence. If all they do is enter the confession, move for directed verdict. Done. If they put on more than just the confession, then they weren't convicted *just* on the confession. Granted it only has to be somewhat corroborative. But still saying they were convicted solely on their confession is inaccurate.

Effectronica posted:

Corpus delicti means that there must be proof of a crime to convict someone, so by the powers of pedantry, I have the power to say that, technically, nobody has ever been truly or falsely convicted solely on the basis of a confession*

*excluding police states, and, well, let's just paper over the years from 1890-1940 a bit.

No. In the confession context that is not what the corpus delecti rule means. it's not pedantry to point out, in a discussion about the law, that legal terminology matters.

VitalSigns posted:

Okay well you right now are white-knighting a case where a guy was convicted with zero outside evidence except a confession bolstered by notes the prosecutor "remembered to submit" that added details to the confession to explain away outside evidence that contradicted the original confession sooooooooooo

I'm not white knighting it. I'm pointing out that belief that the presence of a third party's semen inside a dead victim isn't per se exonerating, and proceeding under a theory that the victim had consensual sex with another person does not make someone a mustache twirling villain. They were wrong. It doesn't make them evil.

Kalman posted:

"Such proof, however, may be circumstantial and need only be a slight or prima facie showing "permitting the reasonable inference that a crime was committed.""

Not that the confesser did it or was in any way involved. Confession + body is enough to satisfy corpus delicti for murder.

most jurisdictions require a little more than that.

LeJackal posted:

Why is it that you get to tell us to look things up, and on the same page I see you demand proof and citations for others?

Because there is a difference between "Here is the name of a legal doctrine that says you are wrong, look it up" and "Big pronouncement of general unprovable assertion. No I don't have statistics or data to back up my claim, so what. I believe it's true."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ActusRhesus posted:

No. In the confession context that is not what the corpus delecti rule means. it's not pedantry to point out, in a discussion about the law, that legal terminology matters.

I'm having a hard time finding this "corpus delecti rule", so would you mind quoting it? I appear to have mixed it up with the corpus delicti rule.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spoke Lee posted:

"People should ignore the most important part of my argument being wrong and not point it out in any way". Do you realize how retarded that sounds?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Effectronica posted:

I'm having a hard time finding this "corpus delecti rule", so would you mind quoting it? I appear to have mixed it up with the corpus delicti rule.

I can't spell and spellcheck doesn't fix Latin. Does pointing that out make you feel special?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
So let's say that there's a proposition- "there is something wrong with policing in this country", which has a vast and growing body of evidence to support it. How, if you disagreed with it, would you best argue against this?

It's really quite simple. You pretend to agree with it, while arguing against any actual particular bit of evidence. You provide solutions that are mind-numbing, technocratic, and enforce the basic message of "shut up and sit down". This is how, for example, global warming skepticism has operated. Of course, surely nobody would be so dishonest about something like criminal justice, which no-one's livelihoods or deep-rooted beliefs depend upon.

ActusRhesus posted:

I can't spell and spellcheck doesn't fix Latin. Does pointing that out make you feel special?

No, I thought that you might have had something else besides insisting that there's nothing pedantic about saying that a person cannot be convicted solely on the basis of a confession because there must be compelling evidence that a crime has been committed in the first place. Because that statement being a reasonable response relies, ultimately, on the belief that the people you are dealing with are on the moral and intellectual level of termites, and you are a human being speaking with human beings, in an occupation where that sort of belief is dangerous in the extreme.

Or it relies on you, the speaker, being psychologically deviant in a major way, but that's rude and cruel to assume of another person without compelling evidence.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 28, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

I can't believe the Innocence Project is allowed to operate courts and sentence people to prison, that's outrageous.

If only he'd been tried by the state he wouldn't have had to worry about going to jail based on.a false confession.

Are you seriously defending the Innocence Project for setting this guy up, including using a lawyer to pretend to be on his side? It's Snidely Whiplash evil.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Useful Distraction posted:

Weird, so there are no instances of a guilty person continuing to insist on their innocence when presented with a lie?

That's where the spill the beans because they were caught by those drat kids

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not white knighting it. I'm pointing out that belief that the presence of a third party's semen inside a dead victim isn't per se exonerating, and proceeding under a theory that the victim had consensual sex with another person does not make someone a mustache twirling villain. They were wrong. It doesn't make them evil.

I think you should read the brief I posted when Jeffrey sued the city and settled for millions of dollars, because somehow you're failing to notice that the investigator edited the confession and fabricated new statements after DNA evidence contradicted the original one, and oh yeah, listened to the interrogation as the cop told the kid he wouldn't be able to stop the other cops from coming in and beating the poo poo out of him unless he confessed.

I don't know if offering a suspect a credible threat of violence for not confessing is enough to make one a mustache-twirling villain, but it's certainly not a tactic that's appropriate for an investigation theoretically intended to uncover the truth.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Are you seriously defending the Innocence Project for setting this guy up, including using a lawyer to pretend to be on his side? It's Snidely Whiplash evil.

No of course not, I am actually 100% in agreement with you that if all it takes to convict and imprison someone is tricking them into a flimsy false confession, we have good reason to suspect there's a severe problem in the justice system and its ability to ascertain the truth.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Trabisnikof posted:

Plus, if you confess now, I give you my word, as an officer of the law I'll work with the DA to make sure you never see jail. We already have your DNA evidence at the scene. If you don't confess now, the judge will throw the book at you. You don't know the guy like I do, trust me confessing now will help you do some community service and see your family again. I'm just trying to help you get your life back, trust me.

I don't know about the US but in Canada, before considering exclusion for a breach of someone's rights (which doesn't guarantee exclusion), a statement has to be proven voluntary beyond a reasonable doubt in order to even be admissible. An explicit promise for a specific favourable result would almost certainly result in a finding that it wasn't voluntary and not admissible, so you wouldn't have officers stating it that clearly.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 28, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No of course not, I am actually 100% in agreement with you that if all it takes to convict and imprison someone is tricking them into a flimsy false confession, we have good reason to suspect there's a severe problem in the justice system and its ability to ascertain the truth.

Did you not read that article at all?

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

mastershakeman posted:

Hate to break it to you, but the organization in your link is not The Innocence Project that people have been talking about. Your link is about the misdeeds of the former Medell Innocence Project, now the Medell Justice Project. They're journalism school students, not lawyers. This doesn't excuse what they did, but it does make your earlier comment completely off-base.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Did you not read that article at all?

Uh yeah I did, the Medell Innocence Project fabricated a confession and instead of, I don't know, investigating or collecting evidence or any of that hard difficult stuff, the state was like "oh a confession awesome, straight to trial let's just accept his plea at face value and get this done"

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
quote is not edit, sorry.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Uh yeah I did, the Medell Innocence Project fabricated a confession and instead of, I don't know, investigating or collecting evidence or any of that hard difficult stuff, the state was like "oh a confession awesome, straight to trial let's just accept his plea at face value and get this done"

So you some how missed the fact they got his wife to fabricate testimony against him, impersonated police officers, and got him a fake defense attorney in order to coerce the confession?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

So you some how missed the fact they got his wife to fabricate testimony against him, impersonated police officers, and got him a fake defense attorney in order to coerce the confession?

Sure would be nice if we had some kind of professional force to investigate and maybe "police" the country even, maybe even someone legally trained and with years of experience to, I don't know, "judge" evidence and rule whether a confession obtained through trickery and deception is admissible.

I am not a drug addict but I have friends who are, and it sure would be a shame if someone could take advantage of their confused mental processes to trick them into confessing and all a court cared about was whether they said they did it and not whether there's evidence they did it.

I don't see how you can read the article and think this makes Milwaukee's court system look anything but incompetent and terrible if this flimsy poo poo is all it takes to lock someone up for over a decade.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I don't know about the US but in Canada, before considering exclusion for a breach of someone's rights (which doesn't guarantee exclusion), a statement has to be proven voluntary beyond a reasonable doubt in order to even be admissible. An explicit promise for a specific favourable result would almost certainly result in a finding that it wasn't voluntary and not admissible, so you wouldn't have officers stating it that clearly.

Yup. At least here, confessions are presumed involuntary and it's the State's burden (by preponderance, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt) to show that any statements were voluntarily made considering all the circumstances. Any promise that the Defendant relies on means a suppression motion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This thread.

"As proof that wrongful convictions and false confessions are nothing to worry about, here's an example where a so-called wrongful conviction was only overturned because it turns out it was totally easy to fabricate a false confession and wrongfully convict someone else!"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Sure would be nice if we had some kind of professional force to investigate and maybe "police" the country even, maybe even someone legally trained and with years of experience to, I don't know, "judge" evidence and rule whether a confession obtained through trickery and deception is admissible.

I am not a drug addict but I have friends who are, and it sure would be a shame if someone could take advantage of their confused mental processes to trick them into confessing and all a court cared about was whether they said they did it and not whether there's evidence they did it.

I don't see how you can read the article and think this makes Milwaukee's court system look anything but incompetent and terrible if this flimsy poo poo is all it takes to lock someone up for over a decade.

His loving wife testified against him as well

If that case is an example of what it takes to get someone to falsely confess then I'd say the system is working way better then I thought. I don't really understand how you think it helps you at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

His loving wife testified against him as well

If that case is an example of what it takes to get someone to falsely confess then I'd say the system is working way better then I thought. I don't really understand how you think it helps you at all.

Well considering his confession was only elicited after showing him a video of his ex-wife saying he did it, along with a video of a paid actor saying he did it, really all we actually had was his wife's word.

"The word of one woman about a crime from 17 years ago, who later recanted, and an actor pretending to be a witness was enough to convict a guy, what a pleasant surprise!"

It is flabbergasting what you will defend. You would think this would be a great example of why confessions, especially from mentally disturbed people, and eyewitness testimony are unreliable but nope.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's funny. Normally, if you were using silver-bullet tactics, you wouldn't cast yourself as the werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zzyzx posted:

Yup. At least here, confessions are presumed involuntary and it's the State's burden (by preponderance, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt) to show that any statements were voluntarily made considering all the circumstances. Any promise that the Defendant relies on means a suppression motion.

Uh there was an example earlier in this thread where a cop said that if someone if he confessed that he wouldn't get jail time, that confession was then used to sentence that man to jail.

I'm sure it wasn't a legally binding promise or some other pedantic answer, but the reality to the guy in jail is the same. Cops lied to get a confession.

• Locked thread