Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

In Training posted:

The culture festival arc in Hyouka is a thing of beauty. Also I don't know how or where you are watching Baccano, just know that there were some DVD-only extra episodes that exist that may or may not have been dubbed. Only ever watched the sub so I don't know if those were JP only specials.

I can confirm that the extra 3 episodes were dubbed and I will be watching those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

I can confirm that the extra 3 episodes were dubbed and I will be watching those as well.

Very cool! They're like a contained side story, fun stuff. I'll be finishing Time of Eve tonight and then making somebody watch something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

I felt the same way when that case was closed, but there are more awesome mysteries coming up including some good surprises. Episodes 6 and 7 are relatively boring, though they are still pretty and contain some interesting peeks into the characters' heads. The next solid mystery arc starts with episode 8, and it might be my favorite. KyoAni is so drat good at animating stuff to look like amateur video camera footage.

Honestly, I'm watching this for the character interaction/development rather than the mysteries themselves, although I didn't expect that mystery to end up being actually interesting. I'd be happy just watching their daily lives with that kind of an animation budget.

e; vv

Davincie posted:

try every other kyoan show

I've already seen Haruhi, K-On and Hibike! Euphonium, and out of those three, Hibike! Euphonium is the only one with an animation quality that compares. I have Chunibyo, Tamako Market and Amagi Park on my to-watch list for eventually, so we'll see. I really like watching non-surreal highschool slice of life stuff because of how relaxing it is.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 26, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

try every other kyoan show

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skip Air and Kanon maybe.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Honestly, I'm watching this for the character interaction/development rather than the mysteries themselves, although I didn't expect that mystery to end up being actually interesting. I'd be happy just watching their daily lives with that kind of an animation budget.

Awesome, then the more stand-alone episodes won't be at all disappointing for you. Not that they were for me, but when I think back on the series it's the larger-scale mysteries that I remember the most.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Furious Lobster posted:

1. Level E
2. Baccano!

3. Kino's Journey
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobash

This was kind of a hard list.

I need something to do on sunday. I don't actually have a terribly big backlog, so I'm just gonna pick five random anime I have yet to start and let the thread pick one:

1. Dragonball Super
2. Himouto Umaru-chan
3. The Disappearance of Yuki-chan Nagato
4. Kill la Kill (This has been 'next up' since it came out. Each season I see stuff I want to watch more...)
5.Shirobako

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Awesome, then the more stand-alone episodes won't be at all disappointing for you. Not that they were for me, but when I think back on the series it's the larger-scale mysteries that I remember the most.

Episode 6 has been my favourite so far, just because the mystery is completely unimportant and it's just about Chitanda badgering Houtarou until he cracks. There's no way she doesn't know exactly what she's doing. Also, Houtarou's genuine surprise at being able to get angry was hilarious.

(Spoilers since there's two other people watching this in this thread.)

e; the use of body language in this is absolutely fantastic. I really wish more shows had this quality of animation.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 26, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm about to start the last episode of Time of Eve, really glad I finally got around to watching this. It's great stuff. I have a feeling this Masaki focused finale is gonna be a heartbreaker.

Senerio posted:

This was kind of a hard list.

I need something to do on sunday. I don't actually have a terribly big backlog, so I'm just gonna pick five random anime I have yet to start and let the thread pick one:

1. Dragonball Super
2. Himouto Umaru-chan
3. The Disappearance of Yuki-chan Nagato
4. Kill la Kill (This has been 'next up' since it came out. Each season I see stuff I want to watch more...)
5.Shirobako

My man, it's Shirobako all the way

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

You're supposed to post a list, you know. Here, let me show you:

1) Super Dimension Century Orguss
2) Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen
3) Space Battleship Yamato
4) Master Keaton
5) Miyuki

That said:

In Training posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh right I should post my updated list

2. Mushishi
3. Golgo 13
4. Durarara
5. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
6. Time of Eve
7. Xabungle but only because I saw this on somebody's list and it has a funny name
8. Tesagure

So I guess I choose for fezball. Since I don't recognize anything on your list go for Z Hen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

First episode of Gatchaman!

Really interesting artstyle and sense of design. The music was fantastic, especially the henshin theme, which I was admittedly already familiar with. Gave me a bit of a Tiger & Bunny feel, but that may have just been the design and the CG of the Gatchaman suits.

Hajime really likes paper and Saya from Saya no Uta needs to put on a shirt.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

In Training posted:

Oh right I should post my updated list

2. Mushishi
3. Golgo 13
4. Durarara
5. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
6. Time of Eve
7. Xabungle but only because I saw this on somebody's list and it has a funny name
8. Tesagure

So I guess I choose for fezball. Since I don't recognize anything on your list go for Z Hen.

Mushishi

1. Hyouka
2. Time of Eve
3. K-On!
4. Ergo Proxy
5. ?? Insert detective anime i don't know about here

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Watched the first 5 episodes of Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen, and I don't think this is for me. The original mechanical design clashes horribly with the modern animation style and detailed backgrounds, the hot blooded robot punching gets drowned out in endless monologues and what little plot there was so far is saturday morning cartoon level at best (although a fair bit more violent). Maybe I would appreciate this more if I had seen some of the original Mazinger before, but as it is the modern production values just make all the awkwardness that much harder to ignore.

Also, what the hell was up with the first episode? They flash forward to what seems to be the middle of the final battle for the entire ep, and just keep throwing characters and terms at you at an absolutely ridiculous speed. In medias res can work well as a teaser, but it was simply way too much - after half the episode I was utterly lost and simply couldn't care about what happened on the screen any more. Episode two then started properly introducing things, but if I had watched this during its original broadcast I doubt I would have cared to tune in after that first episode.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Trip report for I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying

I just watched the whole thing because it was about as long as or shorter than five episodes of a normal show. First season was much better than the second, rapidfire reference humor is good. The mini-drama in the second season fell pretty flat, not enough time to get to care about the characters. Other than that it was as long as it needed to be, any longer and it would've gotten old fast, but I don't regret watching it. It was kind of relatable now that I'm a young working adult.

Overall solid use of an hour and change

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I've finished my required five episodes of Le Chevalier d'Eon and it's definitely a show I'll continue to watch. Most of my first episode impressions hold true. It's an engrossing period show with well-animated action and mild intrigue. I'm excited to see where it goes, especially with the internal conflict d'Eon is starting to show.

Tabletops posted:

Mushishi

1. Hyouka
2. Time of Eve
3. K-On!
4. Ergo Proxy
5. ?? Insert detective anime i don't know about here

Ergo Proxy

1. The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
2. NieA Under 7
3. Godannar
4. Otome Youkai Zakuro
5. Hellsing Ultimate
6. Noein
7. Shiki

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

4. Otome Youkai Zakuro

Prepare to be bewitched.

1) Space Dandy
2) Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
3) Shirobako
4) Non Non Biyori
5) Birdy the Mighty: Decode

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

Prepare to be bewitched.

would you say the CR subs are fine?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

would you say the CR subs are fine?

From what I remember they are, in any case they're the only ones I've seen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

From what I remember they are, in any case they're the only ones I've seen.

awesome, thanks. might squeeze in the first episode tomorrow morning

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Thread announcement

Please consult the OP for new rules involving exceptions to the five episode requirement, vis-à-vis long OVAs and movies

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Baccano! was really good and the English dub is one of the few shows that it really works for; I felt the special three episode list was a bit boring but the main storyline was loving awesome with well developed characters that made the entire series a treat to watch.

a kitten posted:

1) Space Dandy
3) Shirobako
4) Non Non Biyori

Shirobako - Prepare to hate Taro

1. Moribito
2. Steins;Gate
3. Kino's Journey
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Furious Lobster posted:

Baccano! was really good and the English dub is one of the few shows that it really works for; I felt the special three episode list was a bit boring but the main storyline was loving awesome with well developed characters that made the entire series a treat to watch.

Shirobako - Prepare to hate Taro

1. Moribito
2. Steins;Gate
3. Kino's Journey
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Watch Steins;Gate!

1)Any JoJo
2)Cowbow Bebop
3)The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
4)Any Lupin the Third
5)My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
6)Lucky Star
7)Paranoia Agent
8)Baccano!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

a kitten posted:

Prepare to be bewitched.

1) Space Dandy
3) Shirobako
4) Non Non Biyori

I've not actually watched it, but someone posted this in the chatthread and it's a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBoK24vBSCg

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

jon joe posted:

I feel like there's a thread for this... watch it

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

jon joe posted:

1)Any JoJo
2)Cowbow Bebop
4)Any Lupin the Third
5)My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
6)Lucky Star
7)Paranoia Agent
8)Baccano!

Watch the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

1) New Dominion Tank Police
2) Idol Defense Force Hummingbird
3) FLCL
4) Gigantor
5) Big O

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
I've watched the required five episodes of Kino's Journey. Suffice to say I'll continue watching the rest of the series.
Even if it were the usual three episode test, I still would have continued on. With that in mind, episode four provided the background information and events that set this journey into motion.
The circumstances for this journey are unfortunate, but it opened up another possibility: an unending drive to explore.
If I had to describe the series in one word, it would be unsettling. Frightening even. Each country or locale Kino has stopped by is familiar yet otherworldly
And yet Kino is relentless and continues to trek on.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Watch the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

1) New Dominion Tank Police
2) Idol Defense Force Hummingbird
3) FLCL
4) Gigantor
5) Big O

Try out 3) FLCL
E: Whoops, forgot something important. FLCL is ~25 minutes long with six episodes total. I figure two episodes would fit better.
Updated list:

1. Azumanga Daioh
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Kaiba
4. IGPX
5. Toradora

maybeflan fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 27, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How are there people at this point who still haven't seen Shirobako? :v: Everyone should watch it.

e; Hyouka: the show took 3 episodes to deliver the punchline to the Tarot joke and it's great. I really like the humour in this.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 27, 2015

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

maybeflan posted:

Updated list:

1. Azumanga Daioh
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Kaiba
4. IGPX
5. Toradora

Watch Toradora, it's pretty cute.

1. Lupin the Third Part 2
2. Paranoia Agent
3. Gatchaman Crowds
4. Big O
5. Tatami Galaxy

I really wish I had time to just enter an Anime coma but Games Industry Workload~

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm up to episode 13 of Hyouka and right now I'm very disappointed they never made a spin-off show based entirely on the second ED.

e; or at least a film.

e2; the manga society girl who dresses up exclusively as SNK characters is cool.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 27, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm disappointed they never made a spin off of the first ED

I guess there's always Euphonium

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Noein: intriguing, precocious characters, extremely expressive (if rough) animation, a strong sense of setting in the backgrounds.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I haven't seen any of these but Hyouka has lots of good gifs, so go for it.

I have finished the first 5 episodes of Hyouka and here are some scattershot thoughts about it:

The biggest complaint that people tend to have about shows like Hyouka is that "nothing" happens. But in stories where seemingly "nothing" happens, "everything" happens and you become exposed to a spectrum of human experiences. Time begins to slow down and the viewer's focus begins to shift from the plot (which is usually misdirection at best and a red herring at worst) to the visuals and to the characters and to the themes. The mysteries the characters solve are intentionally mundane to aid in doing this, and the deliberate pacing also helps. The attention to ordinary detail is particularly striking to me. And of course the animation is gorgeous. Similarly the show seems to be engaged with its characters reconciling the events of the past in order to come to terms with the present and guide their way in the future, which is the point of history and classical studies in the first place. The characters still seem to be drawn in bas-relief so far but the development is pretty telegraphed. I appreciate the overarching narrative of Houtarou trying solve the mystery of why his sister told him to join the classics club in the first place.

The first few episodes didn't really capture my attention but 4 and 5 sealed the deal in continuing it (I probably would have continued it anyway because I hate leaving things undone) I just don't know how long it will take--despite my appreciation for slow moving fiction it's hard for me to marathon shows like this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Watch Toradora, it's pretty cute.

1. Lupin the Third Part 2
2. Paranoia Agent
3. Gatchaman Crowds
4. Big O
5. Tatami Galaxy

I really wish I had time to just enter an Anime coma but Games Industry Workload~

You are to watch Gatchaman CROWDS!

Someone pick a thing from my selection of empty extensionless files on my desktop:

The first one is Kemonozume

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Six episodes down and Kyousougiga seems like it's about people dealing with loss in their own ways and it's mega cool. All the emotional moments land, but the show never feels sappy or like it's wallowing in sadness. There's all this pretty, vibrant scenery to look at and I love it. The show and story just has so much heart put into it, and I really hope that it manages to stay this strong to the end.

If I was the kind of person who knew enough about narrative structure and poo poo to do a good analysis of an anime, this is the one I'd want to do.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kyousougiga is the best, and I'm glad you're watching it.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

You are to watch Gatchaman CROWDS!

Someone pick a thing from my selection of empty extensionless files on my desktop:

The first one is Kemonozume

I don't feel like catching up on my backlog, so gonna add more to the backlog. Your fate is Macross Plus! Gonna slightly cheat since a couple of these I started but didn't continue.

1. ZZ Gundam (plus the last 2 episodes of Zeta)
2. Revolutionary Girl Utena 6-10
3. Overman King Gainer 4-9
4. Patlabor
5. Aria
6. K-On!!
7. Working

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Aye, Cap'n.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
E: Nevermind, sorry.

Macross Plus is ~39 minutes with four episodes. There's also a compilation movie that adds in a couple new scenes.

The dub also has Bryan Cranston if you're so inclined. However, seems like it's region blocked on Youtube between the last time I watched it.

maybeflan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 28, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If it's that short, then I'll be back all the sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just finished Escaflowne. I really liked it, but toward the end the plot kind of went a bit out of control in ways I'm not sure if I like. At least the main character got better, though.

Anyway, with that done,

Allarion posted:

Kyousougiga is the best, and I'm glad you're watching it.

I don't feel like catching up on my backlog, so gonna add more to the backlog. Your fate is Macross Plus! Gonna slightly cheat since a couple of these I started but didn't continue.

1. ZZ Gundam (plus the last 2 episodes of Zeta)
2. Revolutionary Girl Utena 6-10
3. Overman King Gainer 4-9
4. Patlabor
5. Aria
6. K-On!!
7. Working

Finish Utena, dammit!

1. Daily Lives of High School Boys
2. Fate/Zero
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka