Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

masteraero posted:

I pity the person who had to transcribe/caption A Rickle In Time.

I don't know how much freedom caption writers have over caption placement but I figure a good way to start would be to caption each split timeline separately in slightly smaller text. This would give almost exactly the same effect as the audio, you can pick which one you want to focus on or you can just step back and try to absorb both at once.

I know for DVDs the subtitles are just transparent images overlaid onto the video, so you could easily do this. On TV I guess the system might not be so powerful.

That episode was such a great use of the medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is Water-T's dad Barbe-Q?

At first glance I thought he was Spaghetti O, but he is definitely a Q. Barbie Q sounds right.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

At first glance I thought he was Spaghetti O, but he is definitely a Q. Barbie Q sounds right.

His parents are Oxygen and Hydrogen. Because he's Water.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

His parents are Oxygen and Hydrogen. Because he's Water.

Can't have a barbecue without oxygen, though, I guess

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is Water-T's dad Barbe-Q?

I thought it was Fire-Q and that was why he couldn't say it. But now I realise that makes no sense. :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/636322903462686720

Lol.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The responses are even better.

"I'm sorry about your father."

"You saved the world!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Wasn't Barbie-Q a Venture Bros. character? She was in that team with Captain Sunshine.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Wasn't Barbie-Q a Venture Bros. character? She was in that team with Captain Sunshine.

poo poo its chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we're gonna be on the news!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, and she's Australian.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
It's lonely though, drifting through life, like a ghost or a robot.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

So here's a question; has any scene so far really made you feel unsettled or disturbed?

I was just watching Morty-night Run and that small scene where Fart drives one of those pilots to suicide bothered me more than anything else in the show and I'm not exactly sure why.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
The scene with King Jellybean in the bathroom made me the most uncomfortable the first time. I can watch it pretty easily now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is healthy. This is fine.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Ajaxify posted:

The scene with King Jellybean in the bathroom made me the most uncomfortable the first time. I can watch it pretty easily now.

I knew where the scene was going the first time and I was really creeped out until I noticed it was Tom Kenny's voice.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

"I'm sorry you have no bad memories of me"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

IUG posted:

"I'm sorry you have no bad memories of me"

I found that image of him trying to walk and staring at beth to be both hilarious and depressing

On a related note, does anyone have a screencap of that flashback/scene where Jerry locks Beth out of their van and it cuts away when the homeless man is about to hit her with the bottle?

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 28, 2015

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Watching Rick almost kill himself at the end of Auto Erotic Assimilation was also difficult. By the way, do we know what the creature was that he tested the kill beam on first?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Ajaxify posted:

Watching Rick almost kill himself at the end of Auto Erotic Assimilation was also difficult. By the way, do we know what the creature was that he tested the kill beam on first?

It was a well done sequence, very upsetting to watch. To me, that scene feels somewhat cheap because they never really showed much of Rick and Unity, just Unity slowly falling apart because of Rick's influence. It seemed like they had this scene too 'early' in the series to me, and If the episode showed more of Rick and Unity, or even Rick in general it might have worked in my eyes...but a scene showing anyone trying to kill themselves will usually provoke that kind of reaction from the viewer.

As for the creature, I thought it was an infant or kid from the Space-AIDS monster's race; to Rick, it was both a mercy kill and a test drive for his device.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But the scene wasn't really about Rick and Unity. It might be more about Rick and everyone else he comes in contact with. He's a toxic force that comes into peoples lives, and basically ruins them because he's a selfish rear end in a top hat. But he gets over it quick, because he's Rick Sanchez, and he doesn't give a gently caress. Ultimately.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 28, 2015

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Don't forget about the look on the giraffes face.

Never forget...

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Justin talked about it and explained really well what he was going for in this long-rear end interview;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oCqPDngrgM

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

FireWorksWell posted:

It was a well done sequence, very upsetting to watch. To me, that scene feels somewhat cheap because they never really showed much of Rick and Unity, just Unity slowly falling apart because of Rick's influence. It seemed like they had this scene too 'early' in the series to me, and If the episode showed more of Rick and Unity, or even Rick in general it might have worked in my eyes...but a scene showing anyone trying to kill themselves will usually provoke that kind of reaction from the viewer.

It's a double whammy, really, because it's Rick, who is otherwise always very certain of himself. You can only put so much backstory for a 20-25 mins show and I thought they did the best they could in that regard, really, given their format and time allocated.

I've read up on the major reactions to all of the 'pathos' and 'drama' parts of this show and honestly...I think goons are over-analyzing them far too much...as per usual. Bear with me a bit with a personal story, to understand why I think this way. I remember watching "Way of the Dee-Dee" - a Dexter's Lab episode - something like 17 or so years back, whenever it aired. It was definitely an uncharacteristic episode, not just for the show but for cartoons in general (at least it was for me), where it ends with Dee Dee crying in tears, running away, and Dexter solemnly putting on his gloves and getting back to work.

When I saw that short 7 minute episode in my early teens, I didn't loving over-analyze of "oh, but Dexter just becoming a maniac beforehand is so unrealistic! It's sloppy, fast and not earned!" Newsflash - he's a goddamn cartoon character as opposed to a real person. But that doesn't mean I didn't tear up at the end of the episode, because what mattered was that I got a profound message of it: People work best when they stay true to themselves, warts and all. So don't go through your life pretending you're something you aren't. I was just blown away and so glad that a cartoon, of all things, managed to pull off a message that played on my heartstrings, was absolutely relevant to me at the time, and surprised me in that way.

I am just so glad that Rick and Morty follow this way, continue with it in season 2 and also follow it really well. Someone else I know, that was legit raped at age 5, commented that the jellybean rape scene was spot on, though sadly she didn't manage to escape. People ITT commented on this scene with Rick as really hitting them, because they went through it themselves. The alternate realities pondering about Summer's existence are also terrific, because they do their best to boil down to what matters the most by the end of it all. And all of this is what makes this show so much better than *just* nihilistic dark humor comedy (even though I love that a lot too). It tells me its creators want to go that extra mile, transcend just that box by adding an element of humanity to it, and not be lazy when it comes to writing. That is something I can't help but be in awe of nowadays, when it comes to cartoons, where it is just so easy to get away with mediocrity (including the visual part - terrific animations).

So TL;DR - caught up with this show just now, its ultra-dark comedy is right up my street and its dramatic parts remind me why I once really grew to love cartoons in my teenage years, and why I can grow to love them again with shows like these. We now return to your regularly scheduled program of over-analysis, I suppose, as opposed to that of my own.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CelticPredator posted:

But the scene wasn't really about Rick and Unity. It might be more about Rick and everyone else he comes in contact with. He's a toxic force that comes into peoples lives, and basically ruins them because he's a selfish rear end in a top hat. But he gets over it quick, because he's Rick Sanchez, and he doesn't give a gently caress. Ultimately.

It's actually mentioned very well in Unity's letter to Rick (not sure if I'm paraphrasing this accurately, but words to this effect): "I realize that no matter what happens, you are not going to change ever. You do what I do so much better, without even trying, and I don't blame you for that. But it does make me think what kind of an entity I am, for being willing to put up with that."

Rick absolutely refuses to compromise his ideals or ego for anyone or anything, including someone that loves and trusts him. And that is a dealbreaker in any relationship that wants to go beyond just fooling around. In any relationship, that you want to make work for the long term, you have to be willing to compromise at least some part of who you are so that the two of you can work out. And Rick, as a character, simply refuses to do that - if he ever did that, he would stop being Rick.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Thanks for using your friend's traumatic experience as an anecdote to explain how authentic a cartoon depiction of rape is

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Lady Galaga posted:

Thanks for using your friend's traumatic experience as an anecdote to explain how authentic a cartoon depiction of rape is

you wouldn't know man, not until you've been raped by a jellybean yourself

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yeah, that's totally the point I was trying to make, especially with that line where I emphasize these are still cartoon characters we're talking about.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Grim posted:

Justin talked about it and explained really well what he was going for in this long-rear end interview;

This is really good. Listen to this, all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just play a sad song over a frowning cartoon character. Instant pathos.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just play a sad song over a frowning cartoon character. Instant pathos.

-Writer of the hit series Adventure Time

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FireWorksWell posted:

So here's a question; has any scene so far really made you feel unsettled or disturbed?

I was just watching Morty-night Run and that small scene where Fart drives one of those pilots to suicide bothered me more than anything else in the show and I'm not exactly sure why.

Probably because of the fear that a single, incisive observation targeted at exactly the right chink in one's ego could drive an otherwise stable individual from zero to suicide in ten seconds flat.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

FireWorksWell posted:

I always thought the bit in Anatomy Park where the mascot employee is begging Morty not to let him go before he gets skinned and skeletonized was pretty hosed up. The scene at the end of the Unity episode is still up top though.

Grim posted:

Can you give a rough time?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I think like an hour 10 mins..but I was saying that people should watch the entire interview, to be clear. Roiland goes into character a bunch and it's super funny.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

FireWorksWell posted:

The ending shot of Total Rickall where Beth's trying to pour a glass of wine and her hands are shaking and following the bottle across the counter. Something about the movement/animation, her face, the sudden tone change and abrupt cut to credits....

I mean I laughed, but it was kind of jarring.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Parasol Prophet posted:

The ending shot of Total Rickall where Beth's trying to pour a glass of wine and her hands are shaking and following the bottle across the counter. Something about the movement/animation, her face, the sudden tone change and abrupt cut to credits....

I mean I laughed, but it was kind of jarring.

Yeah, I remember it sending chilling down my spine too. It made me laugh too, but then again I was still laughing at Jerry making sure he didn't say "Mr. Poopy Butthole" to the 911 operator.

Applewhite posted:

Probably because of the fear that a single, incisive observation targeted at exactly the right chink in one's ego could drive an otherwise stable individual from zero to suicide in ten seconds flat.

Yeah ,good point; that concept was the reason why I've always been bothered by the idea of telepathy/mental suggestion.
I think the music made it more eerie to me, though

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just got to the end of Auto Erotic Assimilation and drat, wubaluba dub dub indeed...

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I think the little alien creature is a Morty, perhaps HIS original Morty.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXmw2proooA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Sorry if this has been discussed; why are there Rick flags on Gazorpazorp?

Is this going to be some overarching Bad Wolf lame plotline universe mythos BS, are they going to turn the show into "ah hah... it's actually a post-apocalyptic world, take THAT kids!" a la Adventure Time or whatever?

• Locked thread