Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Excels posted:

i think it's funnier when a character who is relatively normal and well-adjusted is surrounded by characters with horrible, traumatic pasts

like Fuuka in persona 3, her sob story was "my parents are kind of distant and have unreasonably high expectations" while everyone else is talking about their parents being abusive, or dead

It can be pretty funny but I think people overstate it sometimes. "My parents are distant and have unreasonably high expectations" isn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but when you're actually a teenager - which Fuuka is supposed to be - it's the kind of thing that seems intolerably awful.

The best example is probably FFTA, where people made a huge deal about the fact that the three male protagonists all have these huge, serious personal or family problems - Doned is paraplegic, Mewt's dad is a deadbeat drunk and his mom is dead - while Ritz's reason for wanting to remain in the fantasy world is that other kids think her hair is weird and make fun of her. On the scale of worlds, that's a comparatively small problem, but sixth graders aren't exactly renowned for their perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I first played FFX in late 2002, early 2003, and 18 year old me absolutely loathed Tidus back then. Not in the "emo" bit that you guys are talking about but that he wouldn't shut the gently caress up and was always trying to take stage like some dumb jock. While I knew Jecht was a poo poo prick of a dad I didn't realize back then the effects that would actually cause to a child. Of course Tidus grew up to be an attention seeking guy, overcompensating due to complete parental abandonment. I'm replaying X now through the HD collection and I mellowed out considerably regarding him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Do people still actually describe things as emo in 2015

I think emo has been replaced with hipster.

Also my favorite scene in FF8 is the one where Squall jumps from a roof and fucks up a Galbadian soldier before jacking a car.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

I first played FFX in late 2002, early 2003, and 18 year old me absolutely loathed Tidus back then. Not in the "emo" bit that you guys are talking about but that he wouldn't shut the gently caress up and was always trying to take stage like some dumb jock. While I knew Jecht was a poo poo prick of a dad I didn't realize back then the effects that would actually cause to a child. Of course Tidus grew up to be an attention seeking guy, overcompensating due to complete parental abandonment. I'm replaying X now through the HD collection and I mellowed out considerably regarding him.

still doesnt change the fact that hes annoying as all hell.

Just because a character has a good reason for being insufferable doesnt mean he'll be a good main character.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TommyGun85 posted:

Just because a character has a good reason for being insufferable doesnt mean he'll be a good main character.

I don't think anyone was saying otherwise. He does make a good POV character, though. None of the poo poo happening in Spira would be as shocking to the player if not seen through the eyes of a naive outsider.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Leal posted:

hipster.

If you threw some designer clothes on Squall plus a scarf, a fedora, and inch-thick frames, if nothing else changed about the script at all, this description would still be valid

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the first time i played FFX on ps2 i got bored around luca and quit

then recently i got FFX HD, got past Luca, and found the game starts to pick up like immediately after that

also tidus didn't even seem remotely as annoying as i'd heard people say he was for years

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TommyGun85 posted:

still doesnt change the fact that hes annoying as all hell.

How was he annoying? I didn't think he was annoying at all. Zidane was more annoying with his cockiness. "What, Vivi? You don't like girls? I get ALL the girls. I'm so popular."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tidus is a giant dork. Some people find that annoying, some don't.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

How was he annoying? I didn't think he was annoying at all. Zidane was more annoying with his cockiness. "What, Vivi? You don't like girls? I get ALL the girls. I'm so popular."

I guess that's one of the perks of being from before voice acting, I always imagined the delivery of that "You don't like girls? I love girls, any kind is fine!" line as being kinda air-headed and matter-of-factly rather than boasting or embellished.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

I guess that's one of the perks of being from before voice acting, I always imagined the delivery of that "You don't like girls? I love girls, any kind is fine!" line as being kinda air-headed and matter-of-factly rather than boasting or embellished.

I took it the same way. The only time Zidane ever really comes off as an rear end that I can recall is when he's about to start a bar fight with Freya.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bartz is the closest to a protaganist with no issues, I think, other than 'oh no I'm scared of heights'. Zidane comes close but has his identity crisis in Disc 3 that gets solved in ten minutes to the beat of the best song in the series.

And really to be fair, finding out that you were a clone designed to be the angel of death for a world that you call home is kind of a big deal to get over.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might potentially change storywise with the Final Fantasy VII remake? Obviously there hasn't been a lot of information regarding that and there's plenty of things that could be tightened up in the script.

I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that they're not going to bork it completely.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Meridian posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might potentially change storywise with the Final Fantasy VII remake? Obviously there hasn't been a lot of information regarding that and there's plenty of things that could be tightened up in the script.

I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that they're not going to bork it completely.

Hold on, I've got my crystal ball around here somewhere...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

All I really want is a good, clean translation. Everything else is gravy.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Hold on, I've got my crystal ball around here somewhere...

Yeah, yeah. I know.

...Let me know what it says though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It says you're going to see Clouds entire cock and balls when Don Corneo fucks him in girl clothes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meridian posted:

I would guess, just without context:

They'll probably tone down the silliness to some degree. It'll still be there but you're probably not getting fully silly. Cloud will still crossdress but he probably won't ride a dolphin or whatever.
You'll get more explicit callbacks to the EU material. Probably nothing too extreme but Zack's history will be be more solidly explained (and probably not hidden in a random flashback anymore) and so-on.
Sephiroth will be replaced by new character Judas Angelpants who is frankly a much better character and more in true tone to the original writer's intentions.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

In Training posted:

It says you're going to see Clouds entire cock and balls when Don Corneo fucks him in girl clothes.

That's a pretty wild development. Do you think they'll do it in engine or a cutscene?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Meridian posted:

That's a pretty wild development. Do you think they'll do it in engine or a cutscene?

In engine, since those bad boys are going to be fully rendered and physics-enabled during every second of gameplay.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

In Training posted:

In engine, since those bad boys are going to be fully rendered and physics-enabled during every second of gameplay.

A new standard for cloth physics.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Meridian posted:

They're going to bork it completely.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They're going to bork it completely.

Yeah, it's going to be a beautiful disaster.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

mmm, would

e: they'll finally get to put that engine they showed off in that cgi short where they lovingly render every scraggly strand of hair individually to use

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 28, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

In Training posted:

cloud look

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I hope they keep the "You're sure messed up Cloud!" bit. It's my favourite line in the whole game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

In Training posted:

Fuckin' Finallly! :gay:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Meridian posted:

All the guns and swords will be replaced by walkie talkies to send a better message to the kids.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

All the guns and swords will be replaced by walkie talkies to send a better message to the kids.

After barret lost his hand he grafted a walkie talkie to it to better communicate his feelings

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Tidus is a giant dork. Some people find that annoying, some don't.

To be fair, every FF protagonist is a giant dork.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lightning is NOT a dork

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Meridian posted:

We'll probably see changes since it's a different team than that of the original. Through the FF7 compilation, we saw their interpretation of the game's universe. To put it into perspective, the battle system for the remake might be overhauled to be more like an action RPG:

quote:

Famitsu this week features an interview with Yoshinori Kitase, who is producing the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake for PlayStation 4.

“We’re starting to see the visual direction,” Kitase said of the remake. “On the other hand, we’re currently working out the battle system and such through trial-and-error.”

“Since there’s a possibility that the command battle system of the old days might not work today, we’re thinking hard about what kind of direction we can take it.

“Normally, when you do a remake, it becomes somewhere along the lines of a familiar action RPG, so we’re looking at how we can put out something like Final Fantasy VII while still surprising players.

“Please don’t ask about how far into development we are and such. (Laughs.)”

The Final Fantasy VII Remake does not have a release date.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/final-fantasy-vii-remake-battle-system-trial-error-phase

Hmm... announcing a game through a CGI trailer when important design decisions haven't been locked down yet? I'm sure they'll be fine.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's sobering.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Help Im Alive posted:

Lightning is NOT a dork

She literally goes by Lightning in everyday life because her real name isn't cool enough. Also, you can dress her like a dork in LR I assume.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

She literally goes by Lightning in everyday life because her real name isn't cool enough. Also, you can dress her like a dork in LR I assume.

She looks fabulous in all of her outfits.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

[quote="Sunning" post="449527990"]

Hmm... announcing a game through a CGI trailer when important design decisions haven't been locked down yet? I'm sure they'll be fine.
[/quote/]

why do they keep doing this? "We're going to make a game sometine" doesnt sound as reliable as "look at this game were making"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Attitude Indicator posted:

why do they keep doing this? "We're going to make a game sometine" doesnt sound as reliable as "look at this game were making"

I mean, it's not like 98% of people who watched and got super hyped about the trailer are going to follow any interviews about it afterwards. It's a lot of positive attention, at least in the short term. Long term maybe not so much, but we'll see how it ends up working out for them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

[quote="Sunning" post="449527990"]

[/quote/]

Because when companies like Nintendo do the latter they get a lot of negative response for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I just got to the bit in FFIX where you can fight grand dragons on disk one. How the gently caress....