Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Genocyber posted:

It seems to run fine in the default engine. Not sure why you would use the legacy one since it's pretty much shittier than the default in every way.

That's odd, I seemed to get a much better framerate from the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

That's odd, I seemed to get a much better framerate from the former.

Huh, that's weird. I'm pretty sure the opposite is the usual, which is part of the reason the current default was made into the default (originally just being for the mac port).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
played through the entire base game in like three days, cannot bring myself to sit and play joyful for more than like an hour

it's not fun or good and I'm pretty bummed about it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

played through the entire base game in like three days, cannot bring myself to sit and play joyful for more than like an hour

it's not fun or good and I'm pretty bummed about it
Yeah, its rather baffling. Like as previously stated, Joyful just feels like bad fanfic of Painful RPG and checking people's spoilers just makes it sound like really tryhard grimdark edgy poo poo when the first game really wasn't.

A similar problem came up with Hotline Miami 2 and Transistor coming off of Bastion, its like some of these indie devs really don't understand what made their first major games so great.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
Joyful's tone and story are fine. The music is as good as in Painful, and the platforming elements are better (for what that matters) now that you can sprint. What really drags it down is only having 1 party member, so a lot of the bosses (which are pretty difficult!) involve spamming healing items on yourself nonstop as you slowly whittle down their health, spamming the same damaging ability over and over.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had no major problems with the basic story in Painful. Its a lot more grim than LISA but that's because so much stuff from the first game is coming to its conclusion. I think it has pacing problems that suffer from it being DLC rather than a full game. If it had more content then it probably wouldn't be be so overwhelmingly dark because there would be room for more stuff to lighten it up. It probably would of been better as a full game story wise, but the gameplay absolutely does not support that. The gameplay is poo poo and I won't defend it, though I still think its trivially easy outside the few enemies that can chain stun you.

I don't get how you could think its a bad fanfic of the first cause I get the impression Dingaling had almost the entire story planned out before making either game. At least everything involving Lisa herself, which is where the real disgusting stuff is.

EDIT: Honestly the only part of the story I didn't like was Rando's death because it felt forced. That's it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 28, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I had no major problems with the basic story in Painful. Its a lot more grim than LISA but that's because so much stuff from the first game is coming to its conclusion. I think it has pacing problems that suffer from it being DLC rather than a full game. If it had more content then it probably wouldn't be be so overwhelmingly dark because there would be room for more stuff to lighten it up. It probably would of been better as a full game story wise, but the gameplay absolutely does not support that. The gameplay is poo poo and I won't defend it, though I still think its trivially easy outside the few enemies that can chain stun you.

I don't get how you could think its a bad fanfic of the first cause I get the impression Dingaling had almost the entire story planned out before making either game. At least everything involving Lisa herself, which is where the real disgusting stuff is.

I'm pretty sure Dingaling has said that he basically winged it when developing Lisa the Painful. Which is probably why the game he discusses in the Kickstarter pitch is so different than what we actually got.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PhrenzZ posted:

Joyful's tone and story are fine.

Strongly disagree. Lisa's strongest storytelling element was the mix of the absurd comedy and darkness. Removing one of those ruins the whole thing. Why should I give a poo poo about what happens to Buddy? She's relentlessly terrible.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Buddy's also really out of character in Joyful too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really question how she's out of character at all. What exactly does she do that conflicts with what she said in LISA?

VVV I kind of feel like the gameplay was supposed to support this. Buddy starts off relatively weak compared to Rando and you have to lean on him to survive in fights at the start. As you progress Buddy becomes strong enough to readily stand on her own. It just feels rushed because the game is so short.

Just another reason the story would or worked better as a full game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 28, 2015

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I really question how she's out of character at all. What exactly does she do that conflicts with what she said in LISA?

She's not out of character at all, just pushed further along her path of self-reliance into violent independence. What bugs people is that she doesn't defend herself or show initiative in the main game, then suddenly becomes an action survivor in literally the course of a night - which is jarring. It would've made more sense if she was on her own for a few weeks rather than going to sleep a passive victim and waking up as anime ninja.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

A similar problem came up with Hotline Miami 2 and Transistor coming off of Bastion, its like some of these indie devs really don't understand what made their first major games so great.

How is Transistor grimdark or edgy? The second half of the game feels rushed, but other than that I thought it was great. Both games have stylish, cartoonish aesthetics and bits of levity that they use to confront serious subject matter (history, memory, racism, and genocide in Bastion VS love, identity, and transhumanism in Transistor).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zombies' Downfall posted:

How is Transistor grimdark or edgy? The second half of the game feels rushed, but other than that I thought it was great. Both games have stylish, cartoonish aesthetics and bits of levity that they use to confront serious subject matter (history, memory, racism, and genocide in Bastion VS love, identity, and transhumanism in Transistor).
Its not, I was referring to how Transistor is like a poor follow-up to Bastion, because they tried to emulate a lot of what made Bastion great but they overall did a really mediocre job of it, i.e. the plot is a convoluted mess, the characters are paper thin, the gameplay doesn't know what it wants to be and it suffers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Amgard posted:

She's not out of character at all, just pushed further along her path of self-reliance into violent independence. What bugs people is that she doesn't defend herself or show initiative in the main game, then suddenly becomes an action survivor in literally the course of a night - which is jarring. It would've made more sense if she was on her own for a few weeks rather than going to sleep a passive victim and waking up as anime ninja.

The Painful did show off this side of her a little (though I agree it could have done a bit more), what with the fact that she escaped from Buzzo of all people, and showed enough initiative to steal Brad's boat after he killed Marty.

I feel her really hardlining the "you gotta be tough and ruthless to survive" is part from what Brad taught her, and part from seeing the people who she trusted to help her (Rando's army) get turned into meat by Brad.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I watched the stream of Dingaling and that other guy, and here's some of the bigger points he mentioned. Not bothering to mark spoilers, so beware!!

-He felt the identity of Sweetheart was really obvious. It isn't Buddy's mother, but he's not telling now that he knows people are speculating.

-Same deal for the identity of the father of Buddy's child. He also said Buddy was a virgin by the end of the first game, so I have no idea.

-Same yet again for what the deal with the state of the world is, and he indicated that there was an area in LtJ that 'made it more obvious'. My personal assumption is it was supposed to be a nuke but that doesn't explain why all the women are gone or why the day/night cycle is messed up...

-He'd intended to have more scenes of Rando as a kid in LtP.

-Brad didn't officially adopt Rando, describing it more as a 'student and pupil martial arts movie cliche' relationship. Rando was an abandoned, orphan child with some mental and physical disabilities. Rando and Brad would have different accounts of things, neither of which would be quite what happened.

-Buzzo didn't saw off Lisa's face, but 'something else he had a fascination with'. I'm assuming he's implying her chest.

-He wanted to have more fights where Buddy could ambush people but couldn't be bothered.

-He's aware people don't really like the gameplay of LtJ but admits he's not too good at balancing gameplay and the story was the emphasis. He also considered having party members alongside Buddy at one point, and regrets somewhat not including them.

-The original ending was she'd hallucinate mutant Brad as normal Brad, imagine him talking to her, go to hug him, and have her head bitten off. He's considering that being a canon pain mode style ending.

-Sindy Gallows was added in the very day before release. He had intended the boss fight just be the four archers, but the guy who playtested for him thought it was a disappointment.

-The streamer commented his first instinct with the vaccine was to try to go back and give it to Buzzo. Ding said that he thought that the idea was cool and he liked games that let you do unconventional stuff like that, but it didn't occur to him.

-The reason a lot of music in LtP/LtJ has a rap sound to it is he bought a $20 pack of rap music to sample from. :v:

-

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 28, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have literally no idea who Sweatheart could possibly be aside from Buddy's mom/Yado's wife.

EDIT: I mean how can it NOT be her mother? What other explanation is there for it murdering everyone but Buddy twice too save her?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 28, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I watched the stream of Dingaling and that other guy, and here's some of the bigger points he mentioned. Not bothering to mark spoilers, so beware!!

-He felt the identity of Sweetheart was really obvious. It isn't Buddy's mother, but he's not telling now that he knows people are speculating.

When I first saw the mutant I totally thought it was the neurotic dude that is ripping his hair out in the Painful. But then when they turned out to be more than a random Joy mutant I thought otherwise. No clue as to who it could be if not Buddy's mom (since Buddy's mutant form is so similar to Sweetheart's).

You (or anyone else) got thoughts on this?

quote:

-Same deal for the identity of the father of Buddy's child. He also said Buddy was a virgin by the end of the first game, so I have no idea.

My only guess given who's left would be Brad which is several kinds of :barf:

quote:

-Buzzo didn't saw off Lisa's face, but 'something else he had a fascination with'. I'm assuming he's implying her chest.

This would make sense given her reason for him doing so was to make herself undesirable for "him."

quote:

-He wanted to have more fights where Buddy could ambush people but couldn't be bothered.

That would explain why it's such a vestigial-feeling mechanic. I feel like the combat in the Joyful would be a lot better if it was designed around you avoiding straight fights by doing poo poo like that.

quote:

-He's aware people don't really like the gameplay of LtJ but admits he's not too good at balancing gameplay and the story was the emphasis. He also considered having party members alongside Buddy at one point, and regrets somewhat not including them.

I wonder if the green ranger guy (the secret friendly guy you can find) was originally going to be one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Anatharon posted:

well at least he's honest at the level of effort put into this, I guess

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Strongly disagree. Lisa's strongest storytelling element was the mix of the absurd comedy and darkness. Removing one of those ruins the whole thing. Why should I give a poo poo about what happens to Buddy? She's relentlessly terrible.

This is correct, as I agree.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Genocyber posted:

When I first saw the mutant I totally thought it was the neurotic dude that is ripping his hair out in the Painful. But then when they turned out to be more than a random Joy mutant I thought otherwise. No clue as to who it could be if not Buddy's mom (since Buddy's mutant form is so similar to Sweetheart's).

You (or anyone else) got thoughts on this?

My only guess is Buddy has a sister or comedy answer, it's Lisa. :v:

Dandywalken posted:

This is correct, as I agree.

Not that you agree because it's correct? :v:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Anatharon posted:

-

None of these make any sense to me. I can't think of anyone for sweetheart that isn't Lisa, I can't think of a father other than mutant Brad, and the last one makes Lisa's bloody face an unanswered question.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The dingaling stream is really interesting and fun to listen to because dingaling is a real character :v: And he REALLY cares about fighting, apparently.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

-Sindy Gallows was added in the very day before release. He had intended the boss fight just be the four archers, but the guy who playtested for him thought it was a disappointment.

That playtester deserves a medal and a small cigar.

"Hey. Kid. I didn't get on that list by being a goddamn pussy."

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013
there are only two significant women in lisa besides buddy so i cant see how it wouldnt be lisa or nancy. hes probably just loving with people

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mexicat posted:

there are only two significant women in lisa besides buddy so i cant see how it wouldnt be lisa or nancy. hes probably just loving with people

He seems like the kind of guy who'd do that.

Also, Lisa is implied to BE Nancy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

He seems like the kind of guy who'd do that.

Also, Lisa is implied to BE Nancy.

That's pretty unlikely. In the Painful you find Nancy dead in the Joy lab and it's shown that Lisa was given a proper funeral.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Mexicat posted:

Listening to him talk makes me agree. People thought one thing so he changes final headcanon to something else.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

That's pretty unlikely. In the Painful you find Nancy dead in the Joy lab and it's shown that Lisa was given a proper funeral.

I thought the corpse was Buddy's mom.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I thought the corpse was Buddy's mom.

Who is Nancy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Who is Nancy.

Nancy Yado. The Yado ending stated outright that Yado impregnated her as part of some demented social experiment he could run in the post-Flash world, and then shot her after she gave birth.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Nancy Yado. The Yado ending stated outright that Yado impregnated her as part of some demented social experiment he could run in the post-Flash world, and then shot her after she gave birth.

That wasn't a question. I was saying that Buddy's mom is Nancy, in response to Anatharon's post.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Who is Nancy.

Huh, I thought that's what Buddy's real name was.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Huh, I thought that's what Buddy's real name was.

Going from the Yado and Buzzo post-credits dialogue in the Painful, I guess it could be interpreted either way; that his daughter Nancy is Buddy, or that his daughter Nancy gave birth to Buddy.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

"The gay apocalypse! There you go, that's like the summary of Lisa! It's just the gay apocalypse!" -Dingaling, game developer

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sweetheart is probably just Nancy and Dingaling is lying just to cause speculation.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I might believe it was someone else if he didn't say her identity was obvious, but really who else could it possibly be that the player would be thinking about?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Anatharon posted:

-The original ending was she'd hallucinate mutant Brad as normal Brad, imagine him talking to her, go to hug him, and have her head bitten off. He's considering that being a canon pain mode style ending.
I don't think I could handle another dickpunch like that after Hotline Miami 2's ending

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking since you saw nancy's long-dead body in painful that the mutant was somehow lisa. Somewhat thematic for buzzo and the hair seems maybe similar? Though lisa was given a funeral so :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I feel like if joy could bring long dead people back to life, even as twisted zombies, that would been mentioned somewhere in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so the joy labs are so tedious to get to because dingaling wanted it to take some time before anyone found it

of course people found it within hours of release so

• Locked thread