Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tsyni posted:

Would you guys get a Nexus 5, a Moto G, or Moto X Play if those were your options and money was a potential factor? I realize the Play is twice the price of the G, but maybe it's worth it? I am in Canada.

Thanks to Lenovo shoving its people in to Motorola's do stuff places in the US, your options to have Android and not be a cover model for Argh Magazine are pretty much just the Nexus now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Thanks to Lenovo shoving its people in to Motorola's do stuff places in the US, your options to have Android and not be a cover model for Argh Magazine are pretty much just the Nexus now.

I am not sure I follow 100%, are you referencing potential updates, or what?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FistEnergy posted:

Good thing benchmarks are useless! How does the Zenfone benchmark for Crapware per Phone and Build Quality per Second? :3:

Build quality is at least as good as my Moto G 2013 was. Software is a bit buggier though. I uninstalled the true crapware ("50+ free games!") and disabled most of the ASUS stuff that was useless to me. Benchmarks certainly aren't that big of deal, but my Moto G 2013 was horrifically slow after a few months of use so I wouldn't go back to something with a 400 series proc when a better phone was available.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Tsyni posted:

I am not sure I follow 100%, are you referencing potential updates, or what?

Lenovo followed up intentionally MITMing a year's worth of laptops (for a whopping $250,000 total from an Israeli web-ad company or something, because that was apparently the best pack-in software deal they had left) with intentionally injecting a rootkit into their own goddamn firmware so you couldn't escape OEM software with a clean install of Windows.

And their Android phones, even the Pure editions, are vulnerable to the latest remote support exploits.

And since those are the people Lenovo's sending over, kicking established personnel out of Motorola's American offices, that is the mentality that will define the future for the Motorola Android phone.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 26, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Was the more recent Lenovo thing truly a rootkit? I thought it used a legitimate Windows thing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It doesn't stop being a rootkit just because it's using a Windows feature as defined (don't know if as designed/intended, but it's technically valid). Also no one has any idea why the hell Microsoft offered that feature in the first place.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Both valid points.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
On the flip side, we don't have any reason to assume they will do anything like that here, and I haven't heard a THING about Lenovo phones in Asia so who knows? They will be fine, is the short answer.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
While motorola definitely got gutted a bit, it seems that the stories about how some of the execs were booted were incorrect. So even if the engineers are out, hopefully somebody with half a brain on moto's board can stop them from completely loving over anything.

Or everything/everyone is hosed. Abandon all hope.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
That's all fine, but how would it affect phones that have already been released?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Here's the thing, if Motorola is out because those evil Chinese are in charge now, what's the alternative? IS there an alternative? Doesn't really seem like it to me

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Tsyni posted:

That's all fine, but how would it affect phones that have already been released?

Updates? Motorola has a good trend of keeping their poo poo updated, so if Lenovo decides to gently caress up some poo poo they can easily have some software installed alongside the Android M update or something.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tsyni posted:

It would affect support for those phones going forward.

e;fb

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Tsyni posted:

Would you guys get a Nexus 5, a Moto G, or Moto X Play if those were your options and money was a potential factor? I realize the Play is twice the price of the G, but maybe it's worth it? I am in Canada.
To answer your question (without being an autistic spergelord), the Moto G is the safest best because it's cheap, though we can only get the 1 GB ram / 8 GB storage from our Canadian carriers. I don't normally get many apps, but if you think that might be your thing, you might like the Moto X Play better. I just needed something with good call quality, easy texting, and fast browsing. I'm nerding out with Google Now at the moment, and am kind of missing the Moto Voice that you'd get with the Moto X.

Nexus 5 came out two years ago, and has had mixed reviews. I dare you to ask this thread what they think of it.

Hopefully that answers your question without causing a kneejerk reaction from a bunch of conspiracy theorists on AwfulApp posting about communist China COMIN' FOR OUR PHONES.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Airborne Viking posted:

Nexus 5 came out two years ago, and has had mixed reviews. I dare you to ask this thread what they think of it.

I think Tsymi meant "wait for the 2015 Nexus 5 that comes out soon". At least, I assume he did. Could be that there's just no good options right now, or alternately 'stick with what you got until something interesting hits'.

Then again, I won't even consider a phone without true factory images anymore.

quote:

Hopefully that answers your question without causing a kneejerk reaction from a bunch of conspiracy theorists on AwfulApp posting about communist China COMIN' FOR OUR PHONES.

:nallears:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 26, 2015

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I think he meant "wait for the 2015 Nexus 5 that comes out soon".

:nallears:

It's a around 2 months away, if you can wait that long I think it's worth the wait. If some of the rumors are correct the n5 2015 is shaping up to be a decent phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LG has released the non-curved versions of their 4k OLED panels. No change in price with the MSRP of the 65" being $6999 (Best Buy currently has $1k off the top for the curved one, be interesting to see if they do the same for the non-curved.)

I'm fairly certain the instant that TV (or it's model year equivalent) drops below $3k, it will be purchased with the fastest delivery option to my house. Such a jaw dropping set.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

LG has released the non-curved versions of their 4k OLED panels. No change in price with the MSRP of the 65" being $6999 (Best Buy currently has $1k off the top for the curved one, be interesting to see if they do the same for the non-curved.)

I'm fairly certain the instant that TV (or it's model year equivalent) drops below $3k, it will be purchased with the fastest delivery option to my house. Such a jaw dropping set.

65", that's a really big phone screen! I need a bigger piece of cardboard...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Super Dude posted:

Gonna needs some Kevin Smith Jorts.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Super Dude posted:

Were gonna need some more grip tape.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Doh, I have no idea how I posted this in the wrong thread.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

New thread title right here.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had the 3rd gen Moto G up in my hands last night. Jesus its the same size as my S5. I also tried the Z3 compact, that's the phone for me. Too bad its twice as expensive

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

codo27 posted:

I had the 3rd gen Moto G up in my hands last night. Jesus its the same size as my S5. I also tried the Z3 compact, that's the phone for me. Too bad its twice as expensive

I will sell you my near mint condition one (small scuff on one edge, hardly noticeable, screen perfect) if you're interested. PM me if so.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Man, I don't know...

Captain Yossarian posted:

They will be fine, is the short answer.

Oh, apparently you.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

Man, I don't know...

Oh, apparently you.

Got a better recommendation? :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like the Nexus 5 2015 has a thin bezel after all. The first speculated renders based display size vs. supposed case dimensions suggested rather a thick one.

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/636907568489721856

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How long does Google Photos usually take to "process" (whatever that means) a short video of less than 10 seconds?

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
I've been doing some ubering on the side with an S3. Would a moto g 2gb be an improvement or should I hold off for something with more Ram/CPU.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

rizzo1001 posted:

I've been doing some ubering on the side with an S3. Would a moto g 2gb be an improvement or should I hold off for something with more Ram/CPU.

What are you looking to improve? In all honesty, the S3 has held up pretty drat well over time. The 2 gigs of ram (I'm assuming you have the North American version) really helped.

Of course newer phones will have newer versions of the OS and be much faster, but the S3 is perfectly fine for playing music while ubering around.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I will sell you my near mint condition one (small scuff on one edge, hardly noticeable, screen perfect) if you're interested. PM me if so.

I'm in Canada, so a price point that works for both of us with our dollar is very unlikely

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What are you looking to improve? In all honesty, the S3 has held up pretty drat well over time. The 2 gigs of ram (I'm assuming you have the North American version) really helped.

Of course newer phones will have newer versions of the OS and be much faster, but the S3 is perfectly fine for playing music while ubering around.

Yeah NA version running Akop 4.4.2. Phone has definitely held up really well. My issue is that the maps performance. It can lag/get it's self lost. Will sometimes lag between switching from maps to the uber app and back. Occasionally it will just crash; maybe it's the ROM??

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rizzo1001 posted:

Yeah NA version running Akop 4.4.2. Phone has definitely held up really well. My issue is that the maps performance. It can lag/get it's self lost. Will sometimes lag between switching from maps to the uber app and back. Occasionally it will just crash; maybe it's the ROM??

Why are you using a custom rom? The s3 is pretty drat stable on the default one with latest updates. At least it was when I used it.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why are you using a custom rom? The s3 is pretty drat stable on the default one with latest updates. At least it was when I used it.

Whatever version it shipped with sucked and samsung was too slow for updates...what's the official version up to?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've seen a few people around work with Samsung Galaxys and they all have the same god awful font. Is that ugly as hell comic sans style font the default or do they all just have terrible taste?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

xcore posted:

I've seen a few people around work with Samsung Galaxys and they all have the same god awful font. Is that ugly as hell comic sans style font the default or do they all just have terrible taste?

Terrible taste because it's not the default.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Terrible taste because it's not the default.

It was on my wife's s5.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

It was on my wife's s5.

Oh poo poo for real? Ahahah on the S6 it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
That terrible font wasn't the default on the Verizon s5. I know which font you're talking about because my girlfriend found it and immediately switched to it the day she got her Galaxy s4 and rocked it for a year and a half :v: