Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
How did Yob go over with a Tool crowd lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

I've been happy with the ER-20s and seven years of use for a £10 set of plugs isn't bad in my view! Still, I'd be interested to hear if you find something else that you prefer.

So I got some Happy Ears for about the same price as ER-20s ($35AUD delivered)

They are much shorter and are a little harder to fish out of your ear than ER-20s (I use the 'regular' sized etymotics, the blue tips) but doing tests with headphones they are just as effective as the ER-20s and more comfortable. They also stick out less (as they're shorter/smaller) and both ears seal better than the Etymotics (my right ear is a little bigger I guess)

Only bad points is a little hard to remove and the case is tiny and cant be put on a keyring.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

nerve posted:

How did Yob go over with a Tool crowd lol

Haha I was at the tool/Yob show in Boston, the crowd was surprisingly okay. It was in a loving sports arena which made me super happy for Mike but goddamn is it a terrible place to see them. Should be intimate, not people sitting in metal chairs on the basketball court or in court side seats and there being no standing area at all...

And as I'd predicted ahead of time, Yob played 3 songs. Prepare, Burning and Adrift. I was expecting ATMA instead of Burning the Altar, but there aren't a whole lot of Yob songs that would fit well into a 30-40 minute set.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 28, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Must suck having to play after Yob. Unless the name of your band is Sunn O))) I don't see how you could possibly top the sound and atmosphere of one of their shows, and even then I'm not completely sure.

Thinking about it that double bill might just kill me.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Not to go off doom too much, but this reminds me of when Godspeed You! Black Emperor opened for Nine Inch Nails. It made me feel dirty for being a fan of either, but I kinda think that might have been the point.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Tool gets some really good bands to open for them. Not sure how it goes down as I've never been.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

chunkles posted:

Tool gets some really good bands to open for them. Not sure how it goes down as I've never been.

They had Meshuggah touring with them when I saw them on their Lateralus tour (Fall 2002), and that didn't go over too well. I was a huge fan already, but the audience wasn't feeling it. Certainly didn't help that it was in an arena (14k+ capacity) and the sound was complete poo poo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Must suck having to play after Yob. Unless the name of your band is Sunn O))) I don't see how you could possibly top the sound and atmosphere of one of their shows, and even then I'm not completely sure.

There's definitely bands that could do it but probably not many current doom bands.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Going to the Yob show in NYC in November. They are apparently playing The Unreal Never Lived in its entirety and I'm so pumped to see them again. Gonna have to find a space near the front and park it all night. The Bell House is definitely looking like it's going to be a lot more intimate than the Gramercy Ballroom, so I'm extra excited for that.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Van Halen covering Black Sabbath's Tomorrow's Dream. It's not bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfEg9_ZdRuQ&t=69s

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
This ep is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ows3fJauJ8M

e: and these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NiUbirhPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRSGDgyfHTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8eTSDeTSD0

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 28, 2015

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Kyuss did it best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyyoNnQEpSc

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
NEW BARONESS

https://youtu.be/qhS0j3WxfWY

:woop:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

holy crap that is great

gonna check out all of baroness now

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Haha I didn't read the blurb below and was trying to guess what the album would be - colorblind, but it looked either pink or purple, but then I thought if they combined red and blue, so I figured Purple would be next. Looks like I was right!

I like that song, it's very mournful and I think some lyrics might reference recovery from the accident.

E: 15 years from now, Baroness releases the LP "Mauve and Eggshell"

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOEOXqbEBwc&t=28s

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Gasmask posted:

Haha I didn't read the blurb below and was trying to guess what the album would be - colorblind, but it looked either pink or purple, but then I thought if they combined red and blue, so I figured Purple would be next. Looks like I was right!

I like that song, it's very mournful and I think some lyrics might reference recovery from the accident.

It seems like that will be a potent theme throughout:

Baroness posted:

Purple is the recorded experience of Baroness piecing ourselves back together in order to become something more than we had ever imagined we could be.

Edit:

They have a Pledge Music pre-order store up, with a variety of packages. Including 5 vinyl color options. I went ahead and picked up the marbled purple:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/baroness

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 28, 2015

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

E: ^^ thanks for that link, gonna grab the marbled purple too I think!

Baroness song/maybe preorder is up on the Apple Music thing for anyone who wants to stream it from there.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 28, 2015

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Haha! What the hell?!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just got the new Ahab so getting ready to dive into that. I'm currently submersed in the new Nile. Water puns are all wet.

There is one Anal oval office song that I like for reals, totally serious, it never disappoints: You're a Cop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsTGSDTrqXU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

When I saw Sleep in Portland in 2010, YOB opened, and then Scott Kelly played an acoustic set. It would have been fine if he had played first, but after YOB, the crowd was having none of it.

Oh man, Earthless are finally playing Vancouver in October!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Electric Wizard have a throwaway track subtitled "Live at California Jam 1974" and I always thought that was the nerdiest Sabbath nod from a band built around them.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

chunkles posted:

I saw Flaming Lips open for them, it was interesting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Tool have also had Isis and Mastodon (circa Blood Mountain I think) open for them.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Not doom, but they've also had King Crimson open for them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Possibly Chicken posted:

Not doom, but they've also had King Crimson open for them.

That was more a co-headliner thing. I had the chance to see that show at Red Rocks, but went to Radiohead in Chicago instead. That was a tough decision.

I saw Tomahawk open for Tool in Omaha, and the crowd absolutely hated them.

e: Yob is coming through town in a few months, sounds like I'll need to go.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 29, 2015

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Enos Cabell posted:

I saw Tomahawk open for Tool in Omaha, and the crowd absolutely hated them.

Tomahawk opening for Tool was hilarious.

Also holy poo poo that new Baroness track is loving amazing. Was not expecting that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Tomahawk opening for Tool was hilarious.

Patton turned his back on the crowd, and would turn around and throw poo poo occasionally, it was awesome.

Also, I just realized I referenced Tool and Radiohead in the same post a minute ago. I win 2004 SA bingo!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
About seven years ago, when I was much younger and dumber, I saw Boris open for Nine Inch Nails and thought they were boring and stupid. I believe I even posted something to that effect in the NIN thread here and was correctly called an idiot.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

One time Melt Banana opened for Tool iirc and Tool fans got really mad and were angrily commenting on it someplace, like maybe on facebook or somewhere.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tool have also had Isis and Mastodon (circa Blood Mountain I think) open for them.

yup saw isis open for them in 2006, got tickets through a newspaper i was working for and people thought they sucked and ruined my night

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

chunkles posted:

Tool pretty much got me into heavy music in a big way and they had the Melvins open for them for roughly their first decade despite continuous fan anger. This has basically been the tone set for their openers since. Off the top of my head I've seen them with basically all of the above mentioned bands except Yob, and my first show was on the tour where they recorded Salival. Someday they'll even make another album for me to initially dislike and then later accept and love. D:

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Haha! What the hell?!

Seriously check out anything from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_These_Black_Days especially the Converge, Today is the Day (if you like them), Cable, and Cave-in

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Botch doing The Wizard? Converge doing Snowblind? Neurosis doing Children of the Grave? Those all sound like such bizarre choices.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Ffffffffuck my life. Going to Vancouver soon, checked for any good shows.

Only I could find were:
Cult of Luna and Anciients.... 2 days before I arrive. Uncle Acid and Ruby the Hatchet.... 2 days after I leave.

Also just saw the Sword, new tracks meh, old tracks still good. So happy I got to hear Dying Earth, probably the one track from last album I liked.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

A human heart posted:

One time Melt Banana opened for Tool iirc and Tool fans got really mad and were angrily commenting on it someplace, like maybe on facebook or somewhere.

One of my brothers only exposure to melt banana was due to them opening for tool and he constantly will remind me how basic he is by saying how much they suck

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Also just saw the Sword, new tracks meh, old tracks still good. So happy I got to hear Dying Earth, probably the one track from last album I liked.

Is it worth going to see them this tour? Was thinking about it in December when they are in NYC but the new album really didn't grab me at all.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tool fans seem to hate a wide variety of good music.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've honestly wondered if the opening bands Tool picks are another way for loving with their fans. I mean I'm sure they like and respect their openers, but they have to know how their (often terrible) fans will react. I'm not even sure how I would've taken a band like Yob when I was 17 and super into Tool.

The only thing I can think of being close to that terrible of a crowd reaction is a show that a buddy of mine saw. He caught a Gwar show where The Melvins opened for them :psyduck:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Thanks to the internet, I know that when I was fifteen (1998) I posted this "I almost fell asleep while the melvins played, but the lead singer managed to redeem himself when he helped play stinkfist. Tool put on a great show."

loving dumbass me.

And I think the thing about their fans is that it crosses a huge variety of people. Everything from Rednecks to metalheads to QOTSA fans and goth/industrial fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Ffffffffuck my life. Going to Vancouver soon, checked for any good shows.

Only I could find were:
Cult of Luna and Anciients.... 2 days before I arrive. Uncle Acid and Ruby the Hatchet.... 2 days after I leave.

KEN Mode is playing on the 12th.