Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Orange Sunshine posted:

Is there anyone in the house who is actually good at this game?

Austin is very good at this game. He might pull something weird and fall on his sword for Liz at some point much later down the line instead of doing everything to win himself, but in terms of helping accomplish his goal of getting him and Liz (and Julia to a lesser extent) to the end of the game, he's been doing a really great job. He has a great social game and a very good mind for strategy. The Jason talk thing was his only major misstep, but he did a deft job recovering from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop

bbf2 posted:

Austin is very good at this game. He might pull something weird and fall on his sword for Liz at some point much later down the line instead of doing everything to win himself, but in terms of helping accomplish his goal of getting him and Liz (and Julia to a lesser extent) to the end of the game, he's been doing a really great job. He has a great social game and a very good mind for strategy. The Jason talk thing was his only major misstep, but he did a deft job recovering from that.

I completely agree. I think Vanessa is also good at this game. She's not a mastermind and she gets way too emotional sometimes but it blends with the house just right and she's stayed off the block longer than I thought she would.

I think Liz is good enough that at least in terms of drama she might win.

James, too. The whole game he almost had an idea of what was going on in the house but he let his allies and their lack of attention to the game get the best of him. I think he's got a chance of winning.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Vanessa is goddamned insufferable.

That is all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I'd say that Austin, James, Vanessa, and Liz are all very good at this game, in that order.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If Vanessa is so good at the game, then why does the whole house not trust her and want her to leave?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
That's irrelevant if she stays. There are bigger targets and she has repeatedly shifted the target off of herself. She has been controlling the game for much of the season and still has a very good shot of winning. She has a strong strategic game and a flawed but passable social game.

Of course at the same time:

Robnoxious posted:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, results are really all that counts. She sure does come off as a neurotic mess, but she consistently keeps herself out of danger even though she's a huge target as far as everybody is concerned. That takes skill.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I still don't understand why Vanessa went full blast on Steve last night, other than that it was a very Vanessa thing to do. Just like the Clay blow-up, she received one piece of information that she chose to fully trust, and then went after that person. I don't really remember if Steve was really the person to introduce the idea of going after Vanessa last week, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be the fall guy, since the entire room was on board.

I also like the way the show is edited. I was wondering why they chose to show the TV audience Steve congratulating Vanessa after her veto win.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Orange Sunshine posted:

If Vanessa is so good at the game, then why does the whole house not trust her and want her to leave?

Because she's good at the game, not great. She's made mistakes and has one massive flaw in her over emotional behavior and that's rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. But she reads people pretty well, has a good strategic mind, mind, and can talk herself out of situations like this week. Those are all valuable game traits. If she was able to stay calm and exhibit a little more self control then she'd be a "great" player, but instead she's just a "good" one based on the fact that she's had a major hand in most of the game and despite the big target on her back is still standing with allies.

There's a lot of "good" players but no "great" ones. Austin has a great social game and a solid strategic mind, but he's too trusting and passive, which prevents him from being a great player. James has a great social game and a focused game mind but is too gullible sometimes and forgets or ignores key parts of the game. Liz is a good social player, good competitor, and solid strategist, but she's flakey and catty at times.

But I'd call all four of them good players. Meg, Julia, and Johnny are not. Steve is the one I can't decide about. He's got a solid strategic mind and people like him in the house, but I think his problems are he's too afraid to stick his neck out and played a snake game way too long. He's said that his favorite player last season was Christine and its clear he went in playing that kind of weasel game. But he obviously didn't realize that there's a reason those players usually finish around 6th like Christine and rarely 1st like Andy. Eventually the game comes down to trust and if you played like that no one trusts you.

Twin Cinema posted:

I still don't understand why Vanessa went full blast on Steve last night, other than that it was a very Vanessa thing to do. Just like the Clay blow-up, she received one piece of information that she chose to fully trust, and then went after that person. I don't really remember if Steve was really the person to introduce the idea of going after Vanessa last week, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be the fall guy, since the entire room was on board.

Basically it comes down to the difference in how Aus-Twins did damage control vs Steve. Aus-Twins mostly came clean with Vanessa and tried to assure her that they were doubting her over the stuff they heard but they ultimately sided with her and gave her a chance to explain it. Steve just lied to Vanessa and told her nothing was wrong. Even after Aus-Twins came clean Vanessa kept catching him in lies. So when that new thing came up Liz was able to easily deflect it onto Steve who then hosed up by lying about it further. No, he wasn't really the "mastermind" behind any of that stuff but the fact that he lied about even being involved with it makes it easy to throw stuff on him.

Its why you always want to be the first one to come clean in the BB House. Never be the last. Steve came clean after even Johnny.

And yeah, Vanessa just can't help but blow up when she feels betrayed. Its her massive game flaw.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 27, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The way Steve turtles up and absolutely panics when caught in something will never not be funny. He honestly reminds me of a fainting goat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Orange Sunshine posted:

Because she fully understands the game but her poker player side can't deal with how long the game takes to play out so she's made a lot of stupid mistakes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tide posted:

He honestly reminds me of a fainting goat.

Beautiful metaphor

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Because she fully understands the game but her poker player side can't deal with how long the game takes to play out so she's made a lot of stupid mistakes.

She has too much information and too much time to think. She creates drama where there is none by virtue of this as well as what appears to be case of rampant paranoia and inability to deal with any sort of stress. Where Steve shuts down and becomes paralyzed in stressful situations, she just becomes an emotional wreck.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's mean but I sort of missed people berating Steve.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

John went from being unbearable (eps 1-10) to being hilarious

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

That is all.

This x5000. She's honestly one of my least favorite people there and that's a completely changed opinion from when I first started watching. Her constant breakdowns/emotional manipulation/crying "why would you do this to me" gets on my nerves like nothing else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This edit took out the part where Liz points out Johnny has won a bunch of comps and the "Meg" argument doesn't make much sense.

It's a shame the show doesn't show how much the Twins are never on the same page game wise. The show makes it seem like it's "The Twins" when it's way more complicated and interesting than that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know, based on the stories James has told on the feeds I'm not sure I'd cop to being his friend on national TV.

"Gizmo is James' child." Uhh....

Whelp, James is America's Favorite Player. I'm ok with that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Awww Steve you finally made me like you

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loled at Julie attempting to decipher Johnny Mac's speech on live TV.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

And now an interview with Bobcat Goldthwait

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julie barely knows what to do with the muppet that walked out of the house.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I suspect John's actually a crazy homeless guy that passed himself off as a dentist and it just keeps going from there.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
God he's loving annoying.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Lmao look out Meg

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Meg!? Why Meg?"

Julie is so confused by Johnny Mac. It's like Dan annoying Julie only if Dan lived on Sesame Street.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Popero posted:

God he's loving amazing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Popero posted:

God he's loving annoying.

whats it like being stuck in June?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Johnny Mac's power move if he resurrects is to go after Meg "The Human Bed"?

Ummmm, okay?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Wooooo we are so happy to see these enemies we evicted!

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Sweet, sounds like bb15 style where the juror coming back could also win HOH.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My favorite are the Johnny Mac hugs. Like, he was evicted minutes ago. Gotta love BB fake ness.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I wonder if Becky's toe fungus cleared up the week she was out?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

My favorite are the Johnny Mac hugs. Like, he was evicted minutes ago. Gotta love BB fake ness.

I don't think it is fair to judge the social interactions of people who habve been in the BB house for almost 70 days

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not judging them. I sincerely get amused by it. I actually like this crew and think they mostly do like each other.

So what are the bets on how long it takes Meg to fall? Get them in quick. She might not make the end of the show.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I bet someone pukes

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Meg lasted 15 seconds!

A PERSONAL BEST!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm really hoping we come back from the commercial break and Meg is sitting next to Austin. It would be hilarious.

Julia! You suck worse than Meg!

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

STAC Goat posted:

I'm really hoping we come back from the commercial break and Meg is sitting next to Austin. It would be hilarious.

hahaha julia. how demoralizing to do worse than meg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh thank God, Meg is down. My faith is reaffirmed.

• Locked thread