Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Rei_ posted:

So levels 1-30 of CNJ were pretty cool because I could play with cleric stance and help out doing damage but now I'm in Brayflox and it's like if I do anything but spam Cure on the tank they just loving explode... I know from prior experience that things will just continue to hit harder but is WHM/AST/SCH post-30 in dungeons just a lot of tank babysitting?

Make sure you're watching for debuffs and using Esuna to remove them. Brayflox is the first real check of "does your healer actually cleanse debuffs because if they don't they have to heal a lot harder".

Beyond that, you may have just had squishy tank(s). It happens there. Often.

Be sure you've been doing your class quests - the level 30 conjurer quest gives you Cure 2 for when you need a beefier (but less MP efficient) single-target heal. Right after that (also requiring level 15 arcanist) you can unlock white mage. Simply becoming a white mage gives you some stat boosts compared to the same level of conjurer. Finally, the level 30 white mage quest gives you Presence of Mind, a buff to make you cast anything faster for a while. And when you hit 35, the next white mage quest gives you the almighty Regen, which you will learn to love and worship.

If you haven't done those yet - and especially if you haven't gotten arcanist to 15 yet to meet the other requirement for the white mage quest - then take a break and go do those before running more dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do you get the Heavenscracker?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

Make sure you're watching for debuffs and using Esuna to remove them. Brayflox is the first real check of "does your healer actually cleanse debuffs because if they don't they have to heal a lot harder".

Well it's a good thing they give scholars Leeches at 40 then.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Presence of Mind got changed to only buff the speed of attacking spells. Still helpful, but won't solve a squishy tank problem

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Brother Entropy posted:

Presence of Mind got changed to only buff the speed of attacking spells. Still helpful, but won't solve a squishy tank problem

Uh, what. Thats not what attack speed means. Attack Speed is haste.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Obscurity posted:

So I haven't kept up to date..How are the 3 new classes nowadays in comparison to their role counterparts?

Also did they put a catch up system in crafting that doesnt require tons of gil?

Last question..does the golden saucer stuff give you any worthwhile rewards for playing any games (races/TT/etc)?

There was a catchup system that required tons of gil? FF14 has typically used casual 24 man raids as it's catchup mechanic.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you get the Heavenscracker?

There's a Rising Vendor on the Ruby Road Exchange who sells them. Down from the quest NPCs, along the centre of the main strip.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Well it's a good thing they give scholars Leeches at 40 then.

Selene's level 20 ability was changed to a cleanse. It's on a cooldown, so it's not as good as Leeches, but at least SCHs have some option now at lower levels.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot about that. It's surprisingly good at cleansing the berserk pacification, it really throws me off when I have a scholar healer.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that. It's surprisingly good at cleansing the berserk pacification, it really throws me off when I have a scholar healer.

THAT'S what's doing that. I had foolishly assumed I'd lucked unto some over achieving healers lately.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

armoredgorilla posted:

THAT'S what's doing that. I had foolishly assumed I'd lucked unto some over achieving healers lately.

Selene is the healer in low level dungeons, the SCH is just a third DPS.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Selene is the healer in low level dungeons, the SCH is just a third DPS.

When does this stop being the case? I've been playing SCH recently, and so far it's a lot of fun leaving most of the healing to the fairy.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Drizvolta posted:

When does this stop being the case? I've been playing SCH recently, and so far it's a lot of fun leaving most of the healing to the fairy.

Alexander - The Arm of the Father (Savage)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Never if your gear is good enough!

But more seriously stone vigil is a major problem if you can get through brayflox.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Captain Oblivious posted:

There was a catchup system that required tons of gil? FF14 has typically used casual 24 man raids as it's catchup mechanic.

You realize I said crafting right? As in DOL/DOH? Unless they can now raid??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obscurity posted:

Only goldsmiths.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
My lalafell with a heavenscracker is adorable.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Brother Entropy posted:

This isn't true; I just checked since I have the game open and I'm idling anyway. For me, Cure is a 1.94 second cast without Presence of Mind, and a 1.55 second cast with

Edit: Diurnal Sect, on the other hand, only enhances the speed of offensive spells, even though it uses the exact same phrasing as Presence of Mind

Edit again: wait nevermind, Diurnal Sect also applies to heal spells, I don't know what I was thinking

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 28, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Obscurity posted:

Also did they put a catch up system in crafting that doesnt require tons of gil?

No.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Ixal powergrinding and heavensward trash gear isn't that expensive

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Wasn't the i110 crafted gear originally intended to be catch up gear (and hosed it up in every way)? I'm not sure if I read it once or hearsay my brain mutated into fact.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Ignimbrite posted:

Ixal powergrinding and heavensward trash gear isn't that expensive

If you consider 50-60 Heavensward stuff to be a catch-up system, no that's not expensive. Getting anything past the Patrician's equivalent is more hilariously grindy than ever, though. gently caress, you can't even make any level 60 recipes without grinding out some master 3 books.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Which you can do all of in an (admittedly boring) couple of hours, so....

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Presence of Mind was changed because it multiplied the spell speed stat which in HW would mean that it would actually be a significant boost due to spell speed influencing HOT and DOT potency. It's actually a nerf for people who specifically stack spell speed but oh well I guess?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

This is the best I can do, some gifwiz is going to have to take it to the next step.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Adders had a good game.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

fount of knowledge posted:

Which you can do all of in an (admittedly boring) couple of hours, so....

They're not particularly arduous, I was using it as more of an example of how things have only gotten worse at 60, not better. At 50 you got up through two star just by leveling, now you have to spend a couple hours grinding master books to make even the basic level 60 recipes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Any idea how long it takes to get something from like 20-60? I know 20-50 can be done in under a week, easily. Not sure about 50-60, though...

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h-evN6RaLY

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Obscurity posted:

No.

Also, don't craft, it's a black hole of money and time without end or hope. Unless you really really enjoy crafting.

But yeah crafting is gonna cost millions of gil pretty much no matter how you cut it.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

seorin posted:

They're not particularly arduous, I was using it as more of an example of how things have only gotten worse at 60, not better. At 50 you got up through two star just by leveling, now you have to spend a couple hours grinding master books to make even the basic level 60 recipes.

You should have your master III books long before you hit 60 unless you completely ignore collectables for some reason.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I leveled mostly from GC turn-ins and leves. I did get a level here and there from collectibles when it was a viable option, but the other two options were almost always significantly more cost efficient. I even preferred scrip items once I got access to them, but really that just meant getting 3 levels off CUL collectibles and then finishing off my books with Marron Glace and Liver-Cheese Sandwiches. With a few exceptions aside, collectibles aren't great for exp... and they're better for exp than for scrip.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The catch up to crafting is crafting itself. Getting everything to 50 gives you the cross-class you need to continue from 50 - 60, but it also lets you make HQ i55 gear to make the 51 stuff easier to craft. After that, just either make your own gear or buy it from the market board. It shouldn't be too expensive, but it makes a world of difference. And definitely do collectables. It's easier than HQ'ing items, and you can get gear and master books from it, as well as exp and gil for every turn-in. It's only at 60 where you really need to spend gil on stuff like materia.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Captain Oblivious posted:

No.

Also, don't craft, it's a black hole of money and time without end or hope. Unless you really really enjoy crafting.

But yeah crafting is gonna cost millions of gil pretty much no matter how you cut it.

Yeah I am getting this feeling. They tried to not go the route of FFXI and instead went a completely different yet parallel route (difficulty of attaining high crafts plus high gil investment).

Welp. At any rate..decided to take the plunge..bought HS and a Fantasia to Dragonboy myself. Am in and joined TPT. I am so lost as to what the hell I am doing on my 50s (BLM SCH SMN) and I'm so interested in the new classes that I think I may just say gently caress it and start fresh (on my existing character) and go a totally different route. I'll probably completely ignore my crafting, and start focusing on DRK and MCH as my classes of choice (which means I get to level up 4 classes I don't have leveled in addition to 2 jobs..yayyy)

I am excited to be back and enjoy all this new content..hopefully I don't go mad leveling all these classes up. If so I'll just relearn BLM and poo poo fire on everything.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Sentient Data posted:

Just wanted to give a quick trip report for anyone in a similar situation: I have an account with PC ARR (but parted out the gaming PC long ago), a PS4 ARR+HW (which I'm temporarily away from), and most recently PS3 ARR. It's been confirmed by the devs that if you log out in a HW-only area and try to log in with an ARR-only account, it will prevent you from ever logging in.

However, I can confirm that the restriction does not apply to levels over 50. I have a 56 character that was logged out in an ARR area and was able to use it without any problems from the PS3's ARR-only account - all abilities intact (after reassigning them to the fresh hotbar), post-50 XP earned, and changing equipment/jobs back and forth didn't block anything out.

I didn't try teleporting to a HW area for fear of the teleport succeeding then the server kicking me off and basically locking the account until I shell out another $40, but everything's dandy while staying in ARR areas

I'm not sure anyone else is in the situation where they sold their pc parts, moved to ps4 to keep playing, sold the ps4, and moved to a borrowed ps3.

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 28, 2015

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Obscurity posted:

Yeah I am getting this feeling. They tried to not go the route of FFXI and instead went a completely different yet parallel route (difficulty of attaining high crafts plus high gil investment).

Welp. At any rate..decided to take the plunge..bought HS and a Fantasia to Dragonboy myself. Am in and joined TPT. I am so lost as to what the hell I am doing on my 50s (BLM SCH SMN) and I'm so interested in the new classes that I think I may just say gently caress it and start fresh (on my existing character) and go a totally different route. I'll probably completely ignore my crafting, and start focusing on DRK and MCH as my classes of choice (which means I get to level up 4 classes I don't have leveled in addition to 2 jobs..yayyy)

I am excited to be back and enjoy all this new content..hopefully I don't go mad leveling all these classes up. If so I'll just relearn BLM and poo poo fire on everything.

Not sure exactly what you mean here but the new jobs don't have classes. They start at level 30 with their soulstones, no previous class required except one class at 50 to get through the main story to Ishgard.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OpinionCushion posted:

You should have your master III books long before you hit 60 unless you completely ignore collectables for some reason.

To be fair, collectibles are not as good for exp as leves and GC turn-ins (for crafting), so if you're looking to burn your way straight to 60 then ignoring collectibles is pretty common.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I missed the live letter, but they hinted at Red Mage and Samurai? I want to hear more about this.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So wait going back a second, for levelling Botany/Miner I want 600gp? If all I have is the basic entry-level stuff (AF sets and the level 55 rings etc) is there a quick and preferably cheap way to boost myself up to 600gp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I missed the live letter, but they hinted at Red Mage and Samurai? I want to hear more about this.

The anniversary event in-game does the hinting.

• Locked thread