Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

buddhanc posted:

I've got a couple requests. First, I love movies where the main character is framed for a crime that he / she didn't commit and has to set off on an adventure to clear his /. her name. Anything good in that genre that y'all can think of? Also, I love time travel / parallel universe movies so any suggestions for those would be great as well.

as you probably know Hitchcock did the first one a few times
North by Northwest
Young and Innocent AKA The Girl Was Young
The 39 Steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
To Catch a Thief
Sabotage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

buddhanc posted:

I've got a couple requests. First, I love movies where the main character is framed for a crime that he / she didn't commit and has to set off on an adventure to clear his /. her name. Anything good in that genre that y'all can think of? Also, I love time travel / parallel universe movies so any suggestions for those would be great as well.

3 days of the condor
My Cousin Vinnie

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

buddhanc posted:

I've got a couple requests. First, I love movies where the main character is framed for a crime that he / she didn't commit and has to set off on an adventure to clear his /. her name.

Shooter is an archetypal case of this.

buddhanc posted:

Also, I love time travel / parallel universe movies so any suggestions for those would be great as well.
Try Triangle or Coherence if you like horror. Timecrimes also by law has to be mentioned whenever Triangle is mentioned.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Fugitive is a great example of the first.

For the second, the TV series Fringe is perfect, the movie Source Code is very good, and the movie Parallels is okay (but not nearly as good as Fringe, Triangle, Coherence, or Source Code).

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
I don't know if these movies have a designation yet, but I'm looking for more web-based found-footage movies told from a desktop / internet streaming POV. Aside from the very last shot I loved Unfriended, then tried out The Den and it was aiight, and the The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger segment in the first V/H/S was at least not as terrible as most of it. Are there any other notable ones I should give a look to?

buddhanc posted:

If you want a movie that crams all of these categories together, check out Predestination. I wasn't a huge fan but there's enough interesting stuff in there that it'll be worth your time for what you're looking for.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

buddhanc posted:

Timecrimes

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

buddhanc posted:

Bong Joon-ho's Mother for the first, although it's a mother trying to clear her mentally disabled son's name

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

buddhanc posted:

Minority Report

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Predestination

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions yall. I'm gonna pick through these and see how it goes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some fast-paced movies that are just a bunch of goddamn fun? Any genre.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

What are some fast-paced movies that are just a bunch of goddamn fun? Any genre.
The Good, The Bad, and the Weird, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Black Dynamite, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, pretty much any Buster Keaton movie, One, Two, Three.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Guy Ritchie movies

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Most of Edgar Wright's films, really

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for super-gritty, urban, violent movies. Think along the lines of that Punisher "Dirty Laundry" short, Death Wish, Death Sentence, Edge of Darkness, etc.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for super-gritty, urban, violent movies. Think along the lines of that Punisher "Dirty Laundry" short, Death Wish, Death Sentence, Edge of Darkness, etc.

Switchblade Sisters

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

feedmyleg posted:

Shoot 'em Up, Big Trouble in Little China, Tremors, Split Second, Where Eagles Dare

Kvlt! posted:

Seconding Switchblade Sisters

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What are some good post-apocalyptic or dark future car/gang movies from the 1960s-1980s? Like Death Race 2000 or Damnation Alley.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Kangra posted:

What are some good post-apocalyptic or dark future car/gang movies from the 1960s-1980s? Like Death Race 2000 or Damnation Alley.

Mad Max.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
To clarify, I'm pretty sure he means the first film, not Fury Road (though that fits and is also good but very different) Mad Max is a seriously under seen film that doesn't get enough credit since Road Warrior (also an excellent film) is so much more bombastic and really hammers home the "the world is dead" vibe, where Mad Max happens at the apex of the end of the world. Most functions of society still exist in a limited capacity (he's a legitimate cop in that one) but the veneer of society is quickly peeling away.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kangra posted:

Comedy Option: Battletruck

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah I was referring to Mad Max (1979), though all of the movies in the series are various shades of awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kangra posted:

Escape from New York is pretty classic.

Doomsday had some cool poo poo going on. I think it was about zombies but there were definitely like gang punks and post apocalyptic stuff.

Terminator 1 kinda counts?
Akira kinda counts?

There's a whole ton of mad max knockoffs like The New Barbarians which aren't the best but if you like b-movies you'll love em.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 31, 2015

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend me some horror or thriller movies that have themes of doctors, surgery, hospitals or taking place in hospitals, or generally a medical theme?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Eyes Without a Face and Anatomy are the first two that come to mind. Re-Animator is also good if you want something more gory and comedic. Marathon Man isn't quite what you're looking for, but it does have a very memorable dentist scene.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend me some horror or thriller movies that have themes of doctors, surgery, hospitals or taking place in hospitals, or generally a medical theme?

Pathology
Excision
American Mary

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Off the top of my head - Dead Ringers, The Skin I Live In, and Halloween II. I include both the '81 Rosenthal and '09 Zombie versions, though they more take place in / around hospitals and in the case of the latter only briefly. But the Zombie Halloween II deals a lot more with psychiatric aftershocks so that may fit your bill better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kvlt! posted:

Dr. Giggles
American Mary
Splice
(genetics research)
Coma
The Andromeda Strain
Dead Ringers

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I liked the recent Antiviral from Cronenberg's kid.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Woah, that's a lot. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Kvlt! posted:

Hospital Massacre aka. X-Ray is the quintessential hilarious medical slasher movie. I strongly, strongly recommend it.

All of the action in The Manitou takes place in a hospital, as well.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 4, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Kvlt! posted:

Zombie 90: Extreme Pestilence

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Human Centipede.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Odd type of recommendation question. Michael Mann has been hit and miss for me in the past. I love Collateral, Manhunter, and The Insider but I was cold bordering on bored with Ali, Miami Vice, and Public Enemies (I'm ok on Heat but I watched it only once years ago).

Then I watched Blackhat earlier this year, and I keep returning to it in my thoughts on visuals. It was brutally but beautifully abstract in its murkiness, muzzle flashes, firm architecture, and I love how it completely disregarded Hemsworth's boilerplate plot issues to get to the intrigue.

Would it be worth it for me to revisit some of the Mann I've been cold on before with this new appreciation, and are there any Mann films I'm lacking which are worth a watch?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Odd type of recommendation question. Michael Mann has been hit and miss for me in the past. I love Collateral, Manhunter, and The Insider but I was cold bordering on bored with Ali, Miami Vice, and Public Enemies (I'm ok on Heat but I watched it only once years ago).

Then I watched Blackhat earlier this year, and I keep returning to it in my thoughts on visuals. It was brutally but beautifully abstract in its murkiness, muzzle flashes, firm architecture, and I love how it completely disregarded Hemsworth's boilerplate plot issues to get to the intrigue.

Would it be worth it for me to revisit some of the Mann I've been cold on before with this new appreciation, and are there any Mann films I'm lacking which are worth a watch?

Definitely revisit Miami Vice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Thief is definitely worth a watch, especially since you seem to favor his early stuff more than his later, and even not liking the movie, you might check out the TV show of Miami Vice.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
The Keep at least once.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My wife and I are having trouble picking a movie.

I'm looking for a good American horror movie, made in the past decade or so. I enjoy all forms of horror, besides haunted house movies.

Zombie movies are my wife's preference but I think we've seen all the passable ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Pillowpants posted:

My wife and I are having trouble picking a movie.

I'm looking for a good American horror movie, made in the past decade or so. I enjoy all forms of horror, besides haunted house movies.

Zombie movies are my wife's preference but I think we've seen all the passable ones.

The Battery?

• Locked thread