Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

There are no free games!

Lies.

There are just no good free games. You may have all the Bad Rats you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

you could do that with sam too you know. just open up more than one game's achievement thing at once

Well yes, but now I don't have to double click things. :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone ever play Company of Heroes Online? That poo poo was a lot of fun. I don't usually play RTS games online but I enjoyed that quite a bit for some reason. Sad that it tanked.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Sober posted:

I don't know how exactly to put it but CoH2 seems to rub me the wrong way, compared to the first game which I loved.

I felt the same way after giving it 90 minutes of my time. I don't know why though. The mission structure? I rather reinstall the first one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Lies.

Far Cry 4 if you bought the AC:U season pass? :shobon:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone ever play Company of Heroes Online? That poo poo was a lot of fun. I don't usually play RTS games online but I enjoyed that quite a bit for some reason. Sad that it tanked.

I thought COH2's multi was going to be like that when it was announced. Was sadly disappointed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

New Ittle Dew 2 trailer, this time more gameplay focused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89cBMA4B9rA

The first game was all about block pushing, this one seems to have more action

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yup; I did QA for it and it was a lot of people complaining about broken heroes (like motorcycles that could throw grenades). Really though, it was never meant for an American release; it was always intended for Asian markets and it was just one of many failed F2P projects THQ was working on. (like Dragonica)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Probably late but if anyone has anymore Pirate Warriors 3 in their inventory, I'll trade or Paypal something for it. Not looking for a free ride because there's no such thing :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/firefox357

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

New Ittle Dew 2 trailer, this time more gameplay focused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89cBMA4B9rA

The first game was all about block pushing, this one seems to have more action

I want more Card City

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sober posted:

Basically what I'm wondering is, is CoH2 actually as bad as people said it is or is it mostly just me ?

It's not THE LITERAL SATAN or anything but it's pretty bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At the risk of the next several pages being consumed with discussion about tim being satan here's the new DF game being published by Adult Swim Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01T8Yh9-whQ

it looks dope, and its by the creator of Stacking which is one of DF's best games

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 28, 2015

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
So from the last few pages I've learned that buying keys from G2A is super-bad I condemn thee to hell, while exploiting an obvious pricing error is amazing can I please have a copy. Gotcha.

I mostly likely would have done the same thing and am probably just jealous

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Lies.

THERE IS NO FREE ONE PIECE

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SynthOrange posted:

I want more Card City

I would not be opposed to this. The rules could use some refinement though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Unbalanced posted:

So from the last few pages I've learned that buying keys from G2A is super-bad I condemn thee to hell, while exploiting an obvious pricing error is amazing can I please have a copy. Gotcha.

The important thing is that there is no way to verify where the hell G2A's keys come from. They might be legit, they might not. I wouldn't take that chance.

that said did I miss the One Piece boat?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

poo poo, I might just buy it for that title card.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Unbalanced posted:

It's not condemn thee for anything, but you're risking buying things that were gotten through stolen money.

Headlander looks nice. But so do all DF games.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Lord Lambeth posted:

that said did I miss the One Piece boat?

Geirskogul posted:

THERE IS NO FREE ONE PIECE

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sober posted:

I don't know how exactly to put it but CoH2 seems to rub me the wrong way, compared to the first game which I loved. Trying the free weekend now and mostly playing the campaigns but I had a go around to see exactly what the whole MP thing was about and what the heck, it's like a microtransaction store where the commanders and poo poo are paid? Or can those drop? And what's the deal with those tiny little boosts you can activate?

Well I couldn't really care cause I never really play RTS's in MP anyway (I suck). I wasn't sure what my stances are on tutorials but not gonna lie, the CoH2 ones are dreadfully sparse and I don't think the game does a good job getting players into the game even with their dedicated tutorial mission. I only finished 2 soviet missions but it's really just maneuvering at this point, which I think mostly makes sense? Then again I am talking about the same game where in CoH1 there was flat out no guide to the German forces other than playing it yourself in skirmish mode and figuring it out.

Basically what I'm wondering is, is CoH2 actually as bad as people said it is or is it mostly just me ?

It's pretty bad, yes. Gameplay-wise, it's inferior to the original; and even if you don't care about that/haven't played the original one, the story is so cliche-ridden and shows such an appalling lack of historical knowledge that it becomes downright insulting.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Drifter posted:

I'm having a hard time in Witcher 3 fighting monsters. I can't block them with my sword, I know, but things like when I'm doing a three or four hit combo they suddenly stop getting combo broken and retaliate immediate, faster than I can block or dodge.

Is there a animation tell that I can see, or do I just hit them twice and then runaway to hit them twice more later ad infinitum? I'm fighting at level 5 a witch hag lady who is level eleven, and aside from the inifinitely large damage sponge (or just reducing my damage down to near zero) higher level enemies are in this game (which is annoying but whatever) is there anything to do? It's just fuckign boring to hit then run, then hit then run. Why CAN'T I at least deflect attacks with my sword for less damage and no stunning effects?

And I'll, like, dodge to get out of an attack's path, and sometimes that one attack swing is all they do, but sometimes I'll go for the attack after their first swing and then right after I hit them they'll immediately with no warning hit me and I'll get stunned.

This is stupid unless I'm missing something.

Witcher 3 doesn't really have hit stun like most games do, which takes a little getting used to. You do need to back off after a couple of hits to avoid getting countered, but normally signs (or at least Igni) take them out of whatever defense they're about to try.

Also, check the bestiary for enemies if you're having a hard time. Water hags are really vulnerable to Igni, and unless they've patched it Igni's burn effect deals a percent of health so it's effective against enemies who outlevel you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Okay, but what about roving gangs of goddamn piece of poo poo-loving Nekkers? :mad:
The ones with that smash-hammered dick rear end in a top hat tough one leading them?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rude.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Drifter posted:

Okay, but what about roving gangs of goddamn piece of poo poo-loving Nekkers? :mad:
The ones with that smash-hammered dick rear end in a top hat tough one leading them?

Yeah, they suck to fight early on. Dodge or roll to avoid getting surrounded and use bombs if you have to, you find alcohol to replenish your supplies literally everywhere. If you're not above using an overpowered sign Igni solves just about everything in Witcher 3 except elementals with resistance.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Azran posted:

It's pretty bad, yes. Gameplay-wise, it's inferior to the original; and even if you don't care about that/haven't played the original one, the story is so cliche-ridden and shows such an appalling lack of historical knowledge that it becomes downright insulting.
Anything in particular that's different in 2 that was worse in 1? For my 2 hours, it felt like the camera was in way too closer and I really hate how large the unit icons are on the HUD and then tiny in the viewer.

Also I thought made up that whole Russian conscripts run at the enemy after crossing the Volga into the waiting arms of German machine guns in Enemy at the Gates, and CoD1 ran with it. I really wasn't expecting to see that again. I'm not well versed in WW2 eastern front but that seems weird to me. Also yeah, the story is really bad, like they wrote it to have cutscenes in between levels but there's no nuance or anything or any sign of anyone taking it seriously, just some mustache twirling for the sake of it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

IGNI worked well for me, with dodge-rolling after 2-3 hits, unless they were over-levelled for me (have that red skull above their hitpoints bar or whatever).

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

you're right I'm sorry

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unbalanced posted:

A pricing error means not receiving quite as much money as you would have otherwise whereas a chargeback actually costs the seller money. That's the distinction.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sober posted:

Anything in particular that's different in 2 that was worse in 1? For my 2 hours, it felt like the camera was in way too closer and I really hate how large the unit icons are on the HUD and then tiny in the viewer.

Also I thought made up that whole Russian conscripts run at the enemy after crossing the Volga into the waiting arms of German machine guns in Enemy at the Gates, and CoD1 ran with it. I really wasn't expecting to see that again. I'm not well versed in WW2 eastern front but that seems weird to me. Also yeah, the story is really bad, like they wrote it to have cutscenes in between levels but there's no nuance or anything or any sign of anyone taking it seriously, just some mustache twirling for the sake of it.

The balance is terrible, the maps are subpar, the campaign is actively offensive and the MP is dead.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Morter posted:

I am a HuniePop King.

:yosbutt::c00lbutt::buttfame:

This is from awhile back, but I just wanted to say, in the current One Piece spirit of the thread:

That's right, I too have done it.

I too have become...

a God of Tittay

:wink:
:wmwink:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Robotic Accolade posted:

This is from awhile back, but I just wanted to say, in the current One Piece spirit of the thread:

That's right, I too have done it.

I too have become...

a God of Tittay

:wink:
:wmwink:

lol

also, holy poo poo, gj ausssiegoons, nice to get pricing in your favor for once

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kragger99 posted:

IGNI worked well for me, with dodge-rolling after 2-3 hits, unless they were over-levelled for me (have that red skull above their hitpoints bar or whatever).

Yeah, igni seems to work the best if there are only one or two, but before that I have to roll like a punk and aard them and insta-execute the ones that get knocked down.

It's so haaaaaaaarrrrd.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I think I've now handed out all my copies of One Piece of rear end - A Bendy Animu Rape Adventure.
Check your Steam, you sex pests.

If you weren't lucky enough to be on my friends list and/or be a poster I recognised, remember you can try the SG gift here:

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 28, 2015

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Gomu gomu no impregnate?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sober posted:

Anything that 2 did better than 1? Uh, let's see - that's a short list. For starters, it actually works fine on widescreen :v: There's some degree of anticheat? There's more variety between forces and the customization aspect is kinda neat if a little irrelevant beyond officer selection? Oh, it's also being worked on balance-wise, while 1 ended up in a really love-it-or-hate-it point where some units where just a pain in the rear end to face/had some weird bugs.
On the other hand, the UI is poo poo (1's UI was streamlined as hell, here you spend a fifth of it on a short unit description/trivia? What?) and there's no more cut-off because all regions give all resources on some degree, so you can't starve an enemy to delay their powerful units. Also lategame tends to devolve into tank spam pretty loving fast in 4v4s, which are boring as hell for the Allied player.

History-wise, the way Company of Heroes 2 displays the Eastern Front is 1) biased towards Germany and 2) factually wrong. First of all, in a story set in the Eastern Front, THE ONLY ONES COMMITING ATROCITIES ARE THE RUSSIANS. How hosed up is that? That particular bit was kind of repulsive. On point two, there are a lot of things you can mention but basically you can bring it down to two things:

- The Germans are displayed as a competent professional army, while the Russians are a bunch of peasants armed with guns who must rely on weight of numbers because one carries the rifle and the other the bullets hoorah! This is a misconception derivated from translated German diaries from WW2 - the stereotype goes that as Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union the Soviets decided to run for their lives as they died by the millions, powerless against the nazi war machine unless they drowned their veterancy with numbers - which is as far from reality as you can get, both from the tactical (KV1 being impervious to A LOT of german guns) and the strategical (the Soviets had both territorial and demographical depth to trade for time to unfuck their military; while units got encircled due to numerous reasons some units were willingly sacrificed to make time for other units to retreat and stuff - it was a planned retreat, desperate yes, but planned.) The Commisar/blocking detachment shooting his own dudes because they are retreating is also a misinterpretation of their actual role - they were supposed to stop and send back retreating soldiers (desertors are an entirely different thing) but pointedly, only a couple thousand (out of hundreds of thousands) of soldiers got shot because they were retreating (some of them only after being court martialled) - it was an exception, not the norm.

- Some gameplay elements like T34s being meant to ram the enemy tanks or the 1944 Red Army having a core of conscripts allow you to see a conscious decision to use every single vile Cold War stereotype of the noble, German veteran whose tanks are invincible and almighty and the crude, peasant Soviet who is shot for not fighting barehanded because the Soviet Union ran out of rifles. We have to thank Enemy at the Gates for bringing these stereotypes forward - but historiography has advanced since the 50s and 60s, and willingly reproducing these is pretty intelectually lazy.

It's also pretty funny that the Russians are the most powerful in the early game, while the Germans are amazing in the late game :v:

TL;DR: Gameplay-wise, it's dumbed down, ugly and unoptimized. Storywise, it reproduces factually wrong stereotypes from the 50s and 60s, and outright wrong information that is so intelectually lazy that it frankly feels insulting at times.

(And by the way, except for some remarkable cases in 1941, you don't see a situation where rifles are so precious that only one in two soldiers get assigned one - in fact, the problem was getting enough soldiers to use all the available rifles)

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 28, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well poo poo, I figured it had to be something like that re: Eastern front history.

Also playing through the first snow mission, wow now I understand why everyone hated that mechanic. The trudging through snow I get but freezing to death is just hilarious and not particularly fun.

You're right about the HUD, it's huge. I don't mind the flavour text so much as I remember playing CoH in 4:3 and even there the HUD felt a bit like a waste. The icons are okay of a sorts but they really don't tell you what they all mean nor are there any tooltips, which confused me. The UI itself is way too big though. The minimap is 1/5 of all your screen space. They removed the top-level zoom out tactical map, which was odd, cause that would've helped. I guess I'm kinda glad I didn't buy it, nor am I really planning to buy it now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Gah, can't believe I missed the one piece pricing error.

Does anyone still happen to have a super cheap copy they hoarded that they're willing to sell?

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

A pricing error means not receiving quite as much money as you would have otherwise whereas a chargeback actually costs the seller money. That's the distinction.

"Not quite as much" is a bit of an understatement in this case, I shouldn't have to point that out.

I assume Valve has to pay out the difference when these pricing errors hit, correct? In a fair world I wouldn't even have to ask that question but well

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The worst change from COH to COH II was how the unit dialogue went from witty and heroic/stoic to super lifeless, edgy "Ja/Da, let's burn the orphanage then roll in the ashes" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Satellite Reign's just come out of EA with a 20% discount if anyone was waiting for that.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/

• Locked thread