Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Also had an amazing match with fellow goon toaster where I got cornered by hans and through double medic healing I managed to block him while they whittled away at him on his last phase, it was glorious. :allears:

You got loving lucky. At first we thought you were pinned in the corner and all we could do was keep spamming needles to keep you alive while you just blocked and the only other survivor was a poor Demo out of ammo plinking away at Hans with his 9mm pistol. The luck comes from the fact Hans was literally a sliver from death and my last 2 healing grenades ended up finishing him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Dark maps loving suck. Why dump all the time and tech into an incredible gore system when your map is too dark to see it in action? gently caress man, Resident Evil 4 is brighter than Catacombs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alkydere posted:

Oh yeah, but in KF1 you were likely to get good weapons. Nothing extreme, but the LAR or hand cannon was the equivalent of a T2 or T3 weapon and incredibly solid even if it was off perk. Here though we get varmint rifles, heavy pump actions or krovels. Other kits starting gear. The LAR was only starting gear in KF1 after you ground out a few levels.

Honestly I'd like either we get no weapon drops in KF2 or we get T2 drops with the rare T3, then I'd seriously consider them something other than money pickups. Unfortunately that seems to go against Tripwire's current "vision".

I'll admit I'm starting to really dislike a lot of aspects of Tripwire's "Vision" for KF2, admittedly that's from an outsider's perspective(only way I'm playing this game outside of an Internet Cafe, is either me getting a proper gaming computer, or getting a PS4 and waiting for the console release)

Psion posted:

I never played KF1 but I like the idea of rockets and harpoons, so, yes

next time it's on sale you should grab it, if only to mess around with some of it's stuff(would love it if the KF2 Goon group did the occasional KF1 event so I could play with you guys), also while they aren't the most efficient weapons(especially above Beginner which is my preferred difficulty in KF1 for multiple reasons) both the Harpoon Gun, and the Seeker Six Rocket Launcher are pretty fun to use(especially since the S6 has a secondary fire function that shoots it's entire clip at once, which is very useful at times)

Skoll posted:

You poor man.

I'm in agreement there

also I need someone to make some more gifs showing things getting blown up by the Microwave Gun(one for each type of Zed should suffice), also if you kill Hans with the Microwave, does he do the explosion thing like normal Zeds?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit I'm starting to really dislike a lot of aspects of Tripwire's "Vision" for KF2, admittedly that's from an outsider's perspective(only way I'm playing this game outside of an Internet Cafe, is either me getting a proper gaming computer, or getting a PS4 and waiting for the console release)

next time it's on sale you should grab it, if only to mess around with some of it's stuff(would love it if the KF2 Goon group did the occasional KF1 event so I could play with you guys), also while they aren't the most efficient weapons(especially above Beginner which is my preferred difficulty in KF1 for multiple reasons) both the Harpoon Gun, and the Seeker Six Rocket Launcher are pretty fun to use(especially since the S6 has a secondary fire function that shoots it's entire clip at once, which is very useful at times)

I'm in agreement there

also I need someone to make some more gifs showing things getting blown up by the Microwave Gun(one for each type of Zed should suffice), also if you kill Hans with the Microwave, does he do the explosion thing like normal Zeds?

I can confirm, if you kill Hans with the microwave gun he just pops into a bucket of blood and all his bits disappear, just like with normal zeds. I kinda wish his metal bits didn't disappear too, that'd be a great touch.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gnome7 posted:

I can confirm, if you kill Hans with the microwave gun he just pops into a bucket of blood and all his bits disappear, just like with normal zeds. I kinda wish his metal bits didn't disappear too, that'd be a great touch.

neat, and assuming it's possible to do without causing performance issues, I'm sure that'd be something they'd fix eventually if they get the chance

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ClonedPickle posted:

I believe so. Fleshpounds seem to be weak to explosives yet resistant to fire, while Scrakes are the inverse (microwaves are so good against Scrakes) and Hans is super resistant to explosives while maybe only a little resistant to fire? I dunno. Maybe the Patriarch/Matriarch will be more vulnerable to explosive damage, but Demo is a surprisingly poor choice to bring to the Hans wave. According to the Commando on the team, putting all five of my dynamite into Hans (with the explode-on-contact perk) did about 10% of his health on his final healthbar on normal 5-man.
Ugh. I'm really liking the new classes but Firebug seems to have not one but two zeds that make you ask "can't someone else do it??" Support at least only had problems with Fleshpounds back when there really wasn't a good way to kill them besides grenade dumping.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

A flare gun would also be acceptable, though the explosion would need to be rather large to make up for the single-shot nature and now we're deep in Demo territory.

it would be cool if it caused nearby zombies to catch fire or something

like the flare sticks in the zombie or something idk

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shumagorath posted:

Ugh. I'm really liking the new classes but Firebug seems to have not one but two zeds that make you ask "can't someone else do it??" Support at least only had problems with Fleshpounds back when there really wasn't a good way to kill them besides grenade dumping.

Sure, a firebug probably wants to avoid tanking a pound, but a demo wants to run like hell from a scrake. I don't know, that seems almost correct? :confused:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Shumagorath posted:

From what I recall, Supports with AA12s were the dominant approach to Fleshpounds, in addition to all the other large enemies.

In any case, it's not a bad thing that some perks need help with certain enemies. Firebugs probably ought not be expected to effectively address anything beyond clumps of weaker Zeds by themselves.

Generally speaking, I think it's unreasonable to think that any single perk ought to be able to effectively address all enemies. Sometimes you shouldn't just immediately unload with whatever perk weapons you've got. Sometimes it's best to get someone else to do the job. That's good enemy management, and it's good ammo management.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Every perk being weak to one particular zed is good, but the Firebug seems weak to two. Demos basically can't handle Skrakes but can take out Sirens if they time their shots. Firebugs can't drop a Fleshpound even with a tier-4 magdump and have to resort to knifing Husks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

Every perk being weak to one particular zed is good, but the Firebug seems weak to two. Demos basically can't handle Skrakes but can take out Sirens if they time their shots. Firebugs can't drop a Fleshpound even with a tier-4 magdump and have to resort to knifing Husks.

I don't remember having many husk problems. I might be wrong but I seem to recall them dropping reasonably to trench gun headshots or microwaves.

And if that's not the case I think it's pretty easily fixed? Let's say the eventual firebug solution to a husk is something like "hit the weak point and detonate their tank" then I think that's fair enough. Turns them into a siren::demo equivalent right there (aka "skill will let you handle this.")

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 28, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

I just experienced my first crash with the game today, might be a FLEX issue. I had it turned on for gibs and fluids and noticed a major frame drop while walking through an area that basically looked like a charnel house. My game crashed to desktop with the bug report message shortly later while in the middle of the boss round :negative:

This was on a GTX 970 if this helps anybody. Still going to leave FLEX on because it makes shots so much more satisfying and I haven't noticed a hit to normal performance aside from this random crash.

flex fluids are really demanding on any card right now. flex gibs only is much lighter.

Skoll posted:

Demo needs its M4/M203 back IMO. The level 15 perk for Firebug is pretty loving amusing with the 50% chance to blow up things you kill. I had a Scrake blow up and take everything around him out, netted me like 100 xp.

Move C4 to grenade slot and make them behave differently from regular nades. Toss C4 with G and add a trigger to your inventory to set them off or trigger on holding G or whatever, adjust max carryable amount, starting count, and refill price. Move M79 to t2, balance accordingly. Add M16 w203 to t3, grenade launcher alt fire. Delete the popgun t1 and replace with dynamite sticks because why the hell not. I'd be happy w that.

az fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 28, 2015

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Can't see poo poo mode achieved, parrying scrakes in the dark is fun though.

Berserkers get free night vision now, probably because there's no excuse for using a weapon with a flashlight as one.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Demo can't handle Bloats

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Who's dick at tripwire do I have to suck to get them to boost the 9mm to 20 damage (equal to the medic pistol)? Also, I've been noticing in the beta that mosnters killed in doorways have the abiltiy to get stuck in mid-air in them. Sometimes blood splatter will float in mid air as well with it.

I want to re-iterate that the flex stuff is awesome and it is a sight to behold to see an rpg blowup a group of zeds and watch ropes of intestine and meat chunks fly off everywhere.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shumagorath posted:

Husks are less resistant to microwaves than bloats are, in my experience, and a magdump of microwaves does kill a fleshpound, at least on Normal, along with killing everything around it. I mean, you're still out of luck as a firebug against Husks when using the caulk or the flamethrower, but the trench gun is serviceable and the microwave gun seems downright efficient for killing them. And it isn't like you can't use the pistol against husks anyway, a magdump of 9mm should kill one.

That said, a full mag of microwaves is very expensive for a single enemy, so the firebug is still better off leaving fleshpounds to anyone else, but as long as you keep running and setting them on fire occasionally you should be fine.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psion posted:

I don't remember having many husk problems. I might be wrong but I seem to recall them dropping reasonably to trench gun headshots or microwaves.

And if that's not the case I think it's pretty easily fixed? Let's say the eventual firebug solution to a husk is something like "hit the weak point and detonate their tank" then I think that's fair enough. Turns them into a siren::demo equivalent right there (aka "skill will let you handle this.")
Looks like I had things blown out of proportion. I'd been instinctively running from them based on one day of KF1 Firebug :v:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I've nearly maxed out my Firebug and I can say that Husks do take so much fire resistance that I usually just avoid them completely. I'll put a shot into them so I get XP when someone else kills one, but I never engage head on.

Personally, my preferred load out is Flamethrower and Trench gun. I don't really like the microwave gun that much, and I don't think the Firebug should be chasing down Scrakes and Fleshpounds because the rest of the team are retards. The MG is cool in concept and I'll use it for Hans but normal gameplay wise it's meh to me and I'd rather light poo poo on fire.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think I'd like the Trench Gun a lot better if it shot slugs or something. Like a slug that explodes on impact/kill into a AoE fireball.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The trenchgun is a pile of poo poo right now but I prefer it over the Caulk n burn. Normally I'd get a Support weapon instead but it's not viable with their ammo nerfs currently.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think it's alright, but right now it's just a shotgun with a DoT component to it. It'd stand out a lot more as a mid-range harassment weapon than something you whip out when you're out of gas.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Skoll posted:

Personally, my preferred load out is Flamethrower and Trench gun. I don't really like the microwave gun that much,

Well, on one hand, you get to carry a medic pistol with that loadout. On the other hand, what the hell is wrong with you?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ClonedPickle posted:

Well, on one hand, you get to carry a medic pistol with that loadout. On the other hand, what the hell is wrong with you?

I like being effective? I don't know.. Regularly getting around 400-500 kills with a Flamethrower / Trenchgun does more for me / the team than running around with a gimmick gun with horrible recoil and getting half that does?

loving goons and "omg u have different opinion than me!".

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
I'm just baffled that you've managed to have inadequate experiences with the microwave gun. That thing is an absolute dream for me. To each their own, though.

Also that killcount is pretty typical for any competent Firebug, I think. It's the King poo poo Trashkiller while also ruining Scrakes and being decent against Hans.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think the Microwave gun would be funner if it didn't run through its ammo in seconds and jump around like a loving bucking bronco. Other than that, it's just a gimmick to me like the Husk gun was. I like to have fun as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but the MG isn't ammo efficient at all and so running around pretending to be a Ghostbuster will only last so long.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I don't think it bounces around that much? It's not a long range weapon no matter what it looks like. Treat that poo poo like a flamethrower and paint enemies with the thing.

What I've never heard discussed though is the alt fire, which I need to investigate tonight. It fires a short-range ball of ghostbuster power, and while I'm not sure (because I had about two seconds to think about it) I think it pushed Hans when I hit him with it. If you can microwave push enemies away from you and deal damage at the same time, firebug getting surrounded is a thing of the past. That's a big deal. Even better: if I can push or at least stagger a scrake or pound? Hell yes.

so yeah - I want to know how the microwave alt fire works. So far, I like it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Psion posted:

I don't think it bounces around that much? It's not a long range weapon no matter what it looks like. Treat that poo poo like a flamethrower and paint enemies with the thing.

What I've never heard discussed though is the alt fire, which I need to investigate tonight. It fires a short-range ball of ghostbuster power, and while I'm not sure (because I had about two seconds to think about it) I think it pushed Hans when I hit him with it. If you can microwave push enemies away from you and deal damage at the same time, firebug getting surrounded is a thing of the past. That's a big deal. Even better: if I can push or at least stagger a scrake or pound? Hell yes.

so yeah - I want to know how the microwave alt fire works. So far, I like it.

Yeah, it seems to have some pretty decent knockback. I've bounced scrakes around with it a few times as well, though it wasn't perfectly consistent. Perhaps you need to hit them very directly with it or something? Another thing that I wonder is the damage on it. If it does as much (or close to) damage as ten ammo of the primary firemode, that'd obviously change up its dynamic quite a bit.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
New preview patch going out for the weekend. Servers should be updating now and the client update will be out soon.

In the mean time you can chew on the change list: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=111868

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Questioner86 posted:

New preview patch going out for the weekend. Servers should be updating now and the client update will be out soon.

In the mean time you can chew on the change list: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=111868

Some small steps in the right direction. Can you tell us if there are any plans of a Firebug health buff?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Skoll posted:

Some small steps in the right direction. Can you tell us if there are any plans of a Firebug health buff?

Keep Firebug health 100. But let them get armor from fire damage (self and enemies) adding a crispy tough coating from standing in your own molotovs :supaburn:

Why yes I have insane and terrible ideas, why do you ask?

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
The Firebug hasn't been out for a week yet so there aren't a lot of concrete plans to tweak balance on the perk yet, just to fix features that aren't working as intended and improving performance and stability. We'll be tweaking the perks just like we did with the first 4 over the course of early access and after the full release of the game.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
How much harder is co-op than single player? I can solo suicidal just fine, but I die like on wave 5 on hard.

Also, is the pulverizer bad against scrakes? It seems like fleshpounders go down faster than scrakes do to it. Is there another weapon a berserker should have for scrake encounters, on or off perk?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gharbad the Weak posted:

How much harder is co-op than single player? I can solo suicidal just fine, but I die like on wave 5 on hard.

Also, is the pulverizer bad against scrakes? It seems like fleshpounders go down faster than scrakes do to it. Is there another weapon a berserker should have for scrake encounters, on or off perk?

Co-op difficulty scales with the amount of players / difficulty setting. The more players, the more zeds spawn.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Questioner86 posted:

this is a good changelist. I'm glad to see patches coming at this speed, too. Can you explain this one though?

'Fixed Berserker Smash, Block and Furious Defender skills not working as intended'

how were they not working right?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Scrakes resist explosive damage, while Pounds are weak to explosive damage. The alt-fire on the Pulverizer is explosive. Just take smash and pummel the big guys in the head. They'll fall to the ground, and then the rest of the team can finish them. Also, learn to parry and block. Tank Scrakes while others kill it. Berserker is basically the best perk right now, and all of its weapons are really, really good.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
I will never get tired of the microwave gun. I should also probably check out that alt-fire because I did not know it existed until like, the last game of last night.

Backblast!

Regular blast!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

this is a good changelist. I'm glad to see patches coming at this speed, too. Can you explain this one though?

'Fixed Berserker Smash, Block and Furious Defender skills not working as intended'

I know there where a few times I clearly hit a big zed in the head and they wouldn't fall, other times I'd be knocking clots and loving crawlers but they wouldn't die.

quote:

Also, learn to parry and block. Tank Scrakes while others kill it. Berserker is basically the best perk right now, and all of its weapons are really, really good.

Also this, this is what I was doing last night, I'd parry their first strike, try to proc smash then when he got enraged I'd block him and occasionally get a hit in while everyone else unloaded, at one point I was holding 2 scrakes and a fleshpound, thank loving christ for our pro medic, word of note though learn to ID his attacks, the scrakes basic slashes do like 10 damage when blocking but when he thrusts his chainsaw into you that damage adds up REAL loving fast so back away when you see it.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 28, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

excellent! The only way that could be better is if they were also lit on fire somehow.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Psion posted:

I don't remember the breakdowns of each one off the top of my head but the % on all of these were way off when you played online. Like, 30% was 100%, 50% was 0%, etc. They were just busted to hell and it totally borked the balance of the perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Skoll posted:

Honestly, I think the Microwave gun would be funner if it didn't run through its ammo in seconds and jump around like a loving bucking bronco. Other than that, it's just a gimmick to me like the Husk gun was. I like to have fun as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but the MG isn't ammo efficient at all and so running around pretending to be a Ghostbuster will only last so long.

The microwave gun is the firebugs only decent option for frontloading damage and putting a dent into scrakes/fleshpounds. While its not ammo efficient like the flamethrower, it will contribute to downing the most threatening targets much more than the other firebug weapons.

The only reason I wouldn't run the microwave gun all the time is that it doesn't set guys on fire :colbert:.