Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Lou Takki posted:

Seems like every drat corner has a CPO selectee car wash thing going on.

Where does all that car wash money go anyways? Don't CPOs get a uniform allowance?

it goes to the hookers & blow fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If they would just say that up front, I wouldn't be so upset.

Real talk though, why doesn't all that cash go to charity or something?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

Where does all that car wash money go anyways? Don't CPOs get a uniform allowance?

I talked to one of my chiefs about that last year. I was under the assumption it went to the selectees uniforms or something. Nope, it goes to a CPO party/ball thing, so yea, basically hookers and blow.

Lou Takki posted:

If they would just say that up front, I wouldn't be so upset.

Real talk though, why doesn't all that cash go to charity or something?

:lol: :chiefsay:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
idgi, how is throwing yourself a party you can't even afford volunteer work??

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

A lot of the chiefs in my building are pretty bad rear end. If you don't have any real work to do they send you home. #notallcheifs

Where we work is NOT representative of the real Navy. Not. Even. Close. You also have Chiefs there who have never been to sea.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Lou Takki posted:

The khaki ball. They use all of that money to donate to charity throw a big party for themselves. No, really.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

Where we work is NOT representative of the real Navy. Not. Even. Close. You also have Chiefs there who have never been to sea.

I'm in the Navy, therefore it is the real Navy. We might do things a little differently, but we're also the future. Pilots are on their way out, in 50 years there will be no jet fighters, only drones. This will remove much of the necessity for large carriers and the strike groups that support them. The majority of combat will be handled remotely and by AI. The traditional Navy is on borrowed time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wall-E is more likely to come true than that post.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm in the Navy, therefore it is the real Navy. We might do things a little differently, but we're also the future. Pilots are on their way out, in 50 years there will be no jet fighters, only drones. This will remove much of the necessity for large carriers and the strike groups that support them. The majority of combat will be handled remotely and by AI. The traditional Navy is on borrowed time.

No

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Wall-E is half way there:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
NCBC Gulfport is hosting Chief Camp, the selectees walk around with their wooden cases (lunchboxes) and march and sing cadence. Pretty gay, Chiefs gay, Navy gay, Namaste

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ded posted:

it goes to the hookers & blow fund

Mostly this. The money cannot be used for the Khaki Ball, btw. It goes to the selectees, to buy their season stuff, like those boxes and guidon they carry around, the hat boxes and shoeshine kits they make themselves, to pay for their first month of CPOA dues. But mostly it's to see if they can work together to do it.

(Any money left over has to go to charity. We try to make sure there isn't any extra fleecing of the public.)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

poopkitty posted:

Mostly this. The money cannot be used for the Khaki Ball, btw. It goes to the selectees, to buy their season stuff, like those boxes and guidon they carry around, the hat boxes and shoeshine kits they make themselves, to pay for their first month of CPOA dues. But mostly it's to see if they can work together to do it.

(Any money left over has to go to charity. We try to make sure there isn't any extra fleecing of the public.)

Those boxes and guidon are extraordinarily retarded btw.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I've been through a lot of entry level training but the Chief's initiation is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen. I loving hate the mess so much. If only I could gut this organization and reform it through.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My office is a CDR, me, another LT, an FCC, three FC1s, and two contractors.

FCPOA, CPO 365, and other random bullshit takes away half of our manning for about half of the week. loving Navy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

My office is a CDR, me, another LT, an FCC, three FC1s, and two contractors.

FCPOA, CPO 365, and other random bullshit takes away half of our manning for about half of the week. loving Navy.

So how did anyone convince officer leadership that FCPOA and CPO365 are actually valuable leadership development that makes it worth letting your entire PO1 body off all the time?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Because we need to "empower the mess".

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Stultus Maximus posted:

So how did anyone convince officer leadership that FCPOA and CPO365 are actually valuable leadership development that makes it worth letting your entire PO1 body off all the time?

the same way any other horseshit idea like that gets sold: lies

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
For me, CPO365 seems to be a place where the golden kneepad firsts can try to get some face time by asking questions and responding to everything, lengthening the whole thing that no first or chief wants to be at. They usually embarrass themselves and look like idiots though, so it backfires..

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

Mostly this. The money cannot be used for the Khaki Ball, btw.

I'm sure this is supposed to be true, but my chief said straight up that's where most of it goes. Perhaps he was lying to save the sanctity of whatever phase 2 bullshit it actually gets used for.

Schlabbalabba posted:

For me, CPO365 seems to be a place where the golden kneepad firsts can try to get some face time by asking questions and responding to everything, lengthening the whole thing that no first or chief wants to be at. They usually embarrass themselves and look like idiots though, so it backfires..

I sometimes feel like an enormous dirtbag for not ever going to 365 but on the other hand I'm the LPO so it's not like not going has been a detriment. I'm pretty sure there'd be no way I'd be able to get out of it on a ship though. #shoredutylife

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

I sometimes feel like an enormous dirtbag for not ever going to 365 but on the other hand I'm the LPO so it's not like not going has been a detriment. I'm pretty sure there'd be no way I'd be able to get out of it on a ship though. #shoredutylife

My command has a sea and a shore UIC and they are mixed together, so there are shore duty guys who literally blow off their primary duties and basically only do MWR poo poo. Monday morning they will go out to COSCO and buy a pallet of soda or spend all morning warming canned chili and selling chili dogs/fries so they can get their face time.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
My wife lol'd pretty hard at the dumb wooden boxes people are carrying around.

When I explained it she lol'd even harder

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Somebody explain it to me, because I don't remember seeing anyone doing that when I was in.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mad Dragon posted:

Somebody explain it to me, because I don't remember seeing anyone doing that when I was in.

Right after firsts pick up chief and disappear to initiation 365 phase two they start carrying around wooden boxes with some chief voodoo in them. Goes right along with charge books.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

Right after firsts pick up chief and disappear to initiation 365 phase two they start carrying around wooden boxes with some chief voodoo charge books in them.

My box (it's called a vessel) also has pens and a disc of photos/videos from my season/all of the pinning invites I've received, etc.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

(it's called a vessel)

Jesus loving christ.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Some of our dudes took their boxes up Mt Fuji and got them stamped, so I guess that was cool.

That's the coolest association I have with Chief Boxes though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

My box (it's called a vessel) also has pens and a disc of photos/videos from my season/all of the pinning invites I've received, etc.

Some people actually cried when they made chief. I really can't ever imagine taking job promotion that seriously. Definitely can't imagine taking it seriously enough to carry a wooden box and play chief games to get into the tree fort.

Gotta give it to them though. Their PR team has worked pretty good at making it seem like a big enough life achievement to cry about.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wait wtf is this box poo poo

you fuckin sailors do the weirdest goddamn poo poo

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
It's the Chief's that are weird! The rest of us are just alcoholics, I swear!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Induction to the Chief's mess confers the greatest achievement of all, adorning your truck in CPO stickers and wearing stupid loving shirts with goats on them everywhere

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

My wife lol'd pretty hard at the dumb wooden boxes people are carrying around.

When I explained it she lol'd even harder

The first Chief initiation transition I observed as an Ensign pretty well destroyed all of the "You JOs need to respect the mess" poo poo I had been told up to that point.

e:

PneumonicBook posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

PneumonicBook posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Kool-aid drinking chiefs.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

wearing stupid loving shirts with goats on them everywhere

Including on liberty in fifth fleet where the U.S. military is despised and I hope you get beheaded...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Schlabbalabba posted:

Including on liberty in fifth fleet where the U.S. military is despised and I hope you get beheaded...

I thought the rest of the world loved goats?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

maffew buildings posted:

NCBC Gulfport is hosting Chief Camp, the selectees walk around with their wooden cases (lunchboxes) and march and sing cadence. Pretty gay, Chiefs gay, Navy gay, Namaste

I make fun of the Navy just as much as any goon here, but you seem to have an obsession with hating it. Why did you join in the first place?

Anyone remember the shirts that would be half utility and half khaki with a crow on one collar and an anchor on the other for selectees to transition?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! pulled off a wicked sick happiness transfer on me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress the whole chief indoc thing if for nothing else than every season getting people coming into the hospital wearing dress whites covered in mud limping around because they got hazed too hard and now have chest pain or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I've been kicking around the idea of a financial brief for my sailors (I'm actually sitting in a coffee shop right now and developing it). Most of the Navy financial briefs, including the GMT, focus on the very basic things that aren't really applicable to sailors who aren't 18 so I wanted to take it a step further. I posted this in the Business subforum where I discussed my idea for the brief, but i figured I could post this here as well if it benefits anyone. Also, someone can sanity check my thinking because I literally just made this call to USAA to discuss my options.

The defined objective of the brief is to provide the fundamental information necessary to ask informed questions and make informed decisions. Something I'm looking to relate to them is to understand situations where they're losing or gaining and to what extent.For example:

I "own" and make payments on a 2013 Audi A4. The value of the car is approximately $26,000 of which $10,000 is still outstanding. I'm on an Audi fixed repayment at 60 mo of $405/mo at 1.25% fixed APR with 49 mos to go. I am expecting to leave the Navy in January and attend school in the following Autumn, which means my income will be limited and the fixed payments may go from easily manageable to overly burdensome.

So I look to refinance. I am eligible to take out a loan of $10,000 to cover the remaining cost of the vehicle at a fixed 4.25% but at a monthly payment of around $250 over 60 mo. However, I am allowed to refinance up to the value of the vehicle. If the loan is taken at the amount of $15,000 the rate will drop to fixed 2.99% and I can increase the term to 72 mo, dropping my monthly payment to around $225/mo. I'm taking on more debt for a longer term (meaning more in interest), but the advantages are significant if handled appropriately.
- The monthly payment is actually lower.
- The average rate of inflation will likely cancel >66% of the interest instead <50%
- The remaining $5,000 can be invested at an average return that will likely cover the remainder of the interest rate - inflation rate and create a net positive return rate for the loan overall. Meaning that by taking the loan I am actually making money.

It's obvious I should take the $15,000 and make early repayment, but the question now becomes should I take up to the full value of the vehicle? Well that depends...
- The original point of refinancing was to lower my monthly payments during a period where income will be greatly reduced - what is the debt load?
- How much risk am I willing to assume that the inflation rate will be ~average and that market return on investment will also ~average?
- How much risk am I willing to assume that I'll be able to pay on the load post-grad school? Basically will I have a job?
- How long do I expect repayment to take?
- The current loan through Audi is already below the average inflation rate and theoretically "makes" money.

I intend to break this down, even it takes an hour, to the level they need to understand and then provide the slides to them with the notes for later reference. My hope is that they actually learn some perspective and can think critically when it comes to their daily lives and finances.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 28, 2015

• Locked thread