Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The quote attributed to Stalin regarding statistics- seems relevant here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SRM posted:

The same kind of person who makes an Eldar rape diorama.

Aww come on man. I thought you were cool, SRM :(
And Bulba! You too?

Man. If you can't tell the difference I hate to imagine what game you think you're painting minis for.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We can't tell the difference :(

The diorama gets us just as excited as our cartoons with the tentacles :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Aww come on man. I thought you were cool, SRM :(
And Bulba! You too?

Man. If you can't tell the difference I hate to imagine what game you think you're painting minis for.

I was just reacting for the sake of the joke. I think modeling dead dudes on your scenery or whatever is fine and that shot of what looks like a firing squad sort of thing is kind of whatever and is mostly just overreaction. That sorta thing happens in the fluff all the time, and it's not like the Marines have SS logos for their chapter badges or whatever.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Might be a bit of terrain, because of the hard edge sticking over the table.

As for Commissars, they lead from the front and shoot the mean who don't follow them into glory and death. drat it, he wants to hit it with his sword, and you'll drive it there.

I have also thought about making a diorama of guards (well, commissars) executing renegades and heretics near a promethium pit filled from a Hell Hound. But that's money and effort.

And why does it seem that Death Watch RPG inevitably turns to hunting CSM and daemons when there are perfectly good ludicrously overpowered Xenos in the book...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Colonial Air Force posted:

Fictional Soviet commissars at that, as real commissars did not actually do that. It was propaganda the Nazis stated and after the war, the West had no reason to debunk it.

Not entirely made up. But not nearly as common as the Nazis made out. Similar to how human waves were used a few times as desperation tactics in early parts of the war, but weren't common. Here's a discussion on the barrier troops.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Oh are we nerding out? My wife and I saw Stalingrad recently, which is a big budget modern ww2 movie about the russian front *by russians*. It is in many ways a Russian version of Saving Private Ryan. Including weirdly incongruous and mildly hosed up bumper scenes that set the tone into the realm of the bizarre, and then immediately fall away to reveal a really interesting and great movie.

What's interesting is how that movie portrays the idea of executing 'cowards' and 'traitors' in the face of the enemy, as an artifact of current Russian pop culture.

I obviously have no idea if the prevailing response from the typical russian is 'that's hosed up, what a weird movie' or 'drat straight'. Given the way human beings work, it's probably 50/50.

Anyway, really interesting from the point of view that thematically they're very similar, but maybe the one twist that got me was the way it dwells on the pain of what's going on. SPR, I think, while it kind of heralded a new era of hamburger as a visual device in a historical drama, tried to avoid lingering overlong on scenes of futility or anguish. Each person lost in the battle is treated like the worst thing that's ever happened. In a sense, the whole thing is eulogy for the death of soldiers that happened off camera.

Stalingrad, on the other hand, embraces every personal sacrifice almost like it's supposed to happen. It seems like everyone is doomed and they're looking for a good way to go out--because if they don't go out in a blaze of glory, they'll be failing to make a difference. In SPR the soldiers who resent what's going on are treated like they have a valid point of view. Even when they get brow-beaten into continuing on, they're doing it because that earns them the right to go home (paraphrasing the tom hanks character). In Stalingrad, nobody gets to go home. Anyone complaining is treated like they're evil--including at least one case where the tom-hanks analogue shoots them at the barest hint of breakdown, rather than let a scene like what happens around Wade's death erupt.

Sorry for turning it into the history thread, but this stuff is actually super interesting.

And thank god SRM and Bulb are good guys after all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I guess you guys are right, there's hardly any resemblance here.

vs

...although in all seriousness, I'll grant you the russian commanders also wore similar hats and trenchcoats.

please don't take this too seriously

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Why yes this thread needs another derail, thanks

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dear thread,

I am sorry.

Sincerely,
BULBASAUR, Esq.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Dear thread,

I am sorry.

Sincerely,
BULBASAUR, Esq.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

JackMann posted:

Not entirely made up. But not nearly as common as the Nazis made out. Similar to how human waves were used a few times as desperation tactics in early parts of the war, but weren't common. Here's a discussion on the barrier troops.

Thanks for that. It's good to have sources I can turn to when people talk about this.

I'd also be curious if someone could point me to an army that didn't shoot cowards fleeing from battle and causing morale problems. Ideally, you round them up and charge them with desertion, but in the heat of a firefight, that's not always practical.

In my own research, there were just as many times when a commissar was punished alongside the officer he was with for falling back than the officer alone was.

I have that film. It's yet another history movie that, for some reason, had to have a romance subplot thrown in.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why yes this thread needs another derail, thanks

Any time.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 27, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
IG should just execute random people for being cowards or lacking honoure

Like the British did

25 years before Stalingrad

Hitler

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I thought everyone agreed and realized that everything in the 40k universe is a grimdark imperialist force of brutality and suffering?

"In the pleasant brightness of the far future, there is tremendous empathy and goodwill" would not sell models of dudes wearing skulls on their machineguns.

There's a difference between literal nazis / kkkmarines and the fantasy xenophobia.

Here's some boba fat because discussions shouldn't happen without pics

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sigma-X posted:

I thought everyone agreed and realized that everything in the 40k universe is a grimdark imperialist force of brutality and suffering?

"In the pleasant brightness of the far future, there is tremendous empathy and goodwill" would not sell models of dudes wearing skulls on their machineguns.

There's a difference between literal nazis / kkkmarines and the fantasy xenophobia.

Maybe stick to the bad models instead

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe stick to the bad models instead

Blue Table. WAIT NO, I see white primer and not black.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

Bubba'd Fett

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
That blue and silver space marine is the same scheme as the first marines I ever painted. I called the chapter the Lost Boys. I think it was still better than that, though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know this is the wrong thread for these, but I wasn't sure where else to put them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You should put them on your wall, in a frame.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Safety Factor posted:

I know this is the wrong thread for these, but I wasn't sure where else to put them.

Scruppets? Muppunts? Has science finally gone too far?!?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Safety Factor posted:

Oh god I think I actually want some. :allears:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Reset by Peer posted:

Oh, for real now? I know that in the grim darkness of the future there is only war, but christ, talk about being tone def.

Like, did it never occur to the author of this diorama that menacing armymans clad in all black armor, executing unarmed civilians might be a little bit... I don't know, tasteless.

I mean, you show this to someone who does not know anything about 40k and they gonna think that maybe this is an art piece commenting on ruthlessness of imperialism/colonialism and morally corrupt brutality of modern war... And then the author is gonna be like:

"No, no, no. You see, the dudes in black armor are the good guys. They are the faction I play, and they are really awesome. They are like the pure master race or ultimate soldiers. The guys who got shot were some filthy heretics who were worshiping the wrong kinds of gods, instead of The Emperor."

And at this point the other person excuses themselves, and escapes through the bathroom window.

"Everyone is the bad guys" is one of the central themes of 40k. Space Marines are genocidal ubermensch mega-Hitlers who will murder entire planets because there was a chaos cult in some backwater town. The best thing you can say about Space Marines and the Imperium in general is "at least they're not chaos/tyranids/orks/dark eldar".

I doubt whoever was posing this was thinking, "yeah, murdering civilians is so cool and completely morally right"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Especially the Red Scorpions, they're known for being particularly nazi-like. The scorpion badge is even supposed to be reminiscent of a swastika.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

"Everyone is the bad guys" is one of the central themes of 40k. Space Marines are genocidal ubermensch mega-Hitlers who will murder entire planets because there was a chaos cult in some backwater town. The best thing you can say about Space Marines and the Imperium in general is "at least they're not chaos/tyranids/orks/dark eldar".

I doubt whoever was posing this was thinking, "yeah, murdering civilians is so cool and completely morally right"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Especially the Red Scorpions, they're known for being particularly nazi-like. The scorpion badge is even supposed to be reminiscent of a swastika.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Sigh - again, someone posting in the wrong thread. You want the Awesome Paintjob thread.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Model creating unspiration, what the gently caress is wrong with those automata. They're ok as far as carapace and skulls goes, but anything below that line is madness.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The gently caress is up with that tech priest? :psyduck:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Maybe there just deployed to agri-worlds, so they can plow the fields at the same time as purging the heretics ?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I actually like those :ohdear:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
TBH I don't mind the robots so much, they look like a mess but that seems vaguely intentional, it's more the tech priest I'm confused on.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The automata look screwey because GW has a thing now for "floating" models and they all look terrible because they can't get the dynamic right.

The tech-priest is alright, but, again, it suffers from GW's terrible CAD sculpting. Knowing their hiring policies, they got some fan right out of high school who had a class on 3D modeling in Blender.

Or Tom Kirby's wife.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FW really can't do techpriests, IMHO. GW Engineseers are the best.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

The automata look screwey because GW has a thing now for "floating" models and they all look terrible because they can't get the dynamic right.

The tech-priest is alright, but, again, it suffers from GW's terrible CAD sculpting. Knowing their hiring policies, they got some fan right out of high school who had a class on 3D modeling in Blender.

Or Tom Kirby's wife.

Care to elaborate on lovely CAD sculpting? I'd like to know more.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I posted a picture in the bad thread, but those robots are basically skull-having knockoffs of the old AT-43 assault medusae.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think those Admech guys look pretty cool!

So this isn't terribly unspirationy, but it's very Hollismason-y, since it contains an actual animal skull and spine:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

FW really can't do techpriests, IMHO. GW Engineseers are the best.

Are those FW? They looks like plastic kits to me...

JcDent posted:

Care to elaborate on lovely CAD sculpting? I'd like to know more.
For a while now, GW has moved away from traditional sculpting to CAD/3D modeling, which is fine, though I think the old hand sculpted models have more character. At any rate, their sculptor(s) can't seem to get certain things to look right - musculature looks bad/slab-like, fabrics look chunky, organic components on models look really poorly done, some sculpts look very chunky (like the Tech-priest above) etc. This isn't on every model, so obviously some designers are better than others (which holds true for traditional sculpting as well.} Mechanical stuff is usually well done, but speaking from personal experience, that kind of stuff it a lot easier to sculpt than organics.

I don't know if you've seen the newer AoS stuff they're putting out, but they are terrible mono-pose, featureless sculpts. One chaos guy literally has a square butt, like someone stuck two bricks in his pants. (Chaos mutation: Slab rear end.)

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 28, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FW has plastics, I'm certain.

I don't like this techpriest either, but automata look they're worst off. Like, I understand that the spike down is supposed to be tools and poo poo, but it looks like a stream of rust vomit.

And yes, gently caress the new flying/floating models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

FW has plastics, I'm certain.
No they don't. Forgeworld has never done a plastic model. Some Forgeworld models have been converted to plastic and sold as core GW products (Valkyrie, Trygon, etc) but they don't have any plastics.

Also I think those robits look good and I don't get what everyone's problem is with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

No they don't. Forgeworld has never done a plastic model. Some Forgeworld models have been converted to plastic and sold as core GW products (Valkyrie, Trygon, etc) but they don't have any plastics.

Also I think those robits look good and I don't get what everyone's problem is with them.

I don't think they look bad - I'm just not a fan of the way GW is doing their flying aesthetic. Personally, I'd rather use a clear stem to give the illusion of flight.