Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
He has no time to go and buy better audio equipment. He and June have a BABY, and that means there's is literally no time, ever, at all, to do any extra stuff. In fact, you might even have to cut back on the amount you're doing, even if it only takes you a few hours per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The show runs an hour and a half and the break between shows is, what, a half hour to 45 minutes? That means they had around 3 hours to find a working tape recorder (or whatever) after they learned theirs wasn't working, and still make the second show. The fact that they didn't smacks of unprofessionalism/laziness/whatever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

The show runs an hour and a half and the break between shows is, what, a half hour to 45 minutes? That means they had around 3 hours to find a working tape recorder (or whatever) after they learned theirs wasn't working, and still make the second show. The fact that they didn't smacks of unprofessionalism/laziness/whatever.

Was it the recorder that was hosed? The audio tech apparently recovered off of their phone. I don't understand why they couldn't just run a cable into the phone rather than just use the phone's mic. Unprofessional and amateurish is right. Do they even have a dedicated audio tech, or is it just some dude from the venue? Either way this is the sort of problem you have a tech to solve.

I'm sounding a little salty and entitled here, but I really hate the idea of having more podcasts be lost when it's pretty avoidable. If you have time to make a TV show, youtube clips about 90's TRL and have a baby, you can find time to buy a TASCAM and some microphones.

It's just so crazy that such a popular podcast has these issues. The episodes of The Worst Idea Of All Time where they're in separate hemispheres or walking around town, or stoned out of their gourds don't sound this bad. Uhh Yeah Dude has been on since 2006 and has never had sound issues. HDTGM should have higher production values than most other podcasts combined, but it's regularly one of the worst sounding podcasts. I just don't get it. Sometimes it just feels like a bit of a cashgrab, with a heavy emphasis on plugging guests, ticketed live shows and fairly lengthy ads.

I still like the show, it's just kind of losing it's lustre to me now.

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Not Head Brain of the Hobosphere

well why not posted:

Sometimes it just feels like a bit of a cashgrab, with a heavy emphasis on plugging guests, ticketed live shows and fairly lengthy ads.

They also occasionally give shout outs to people who donate to the show. Who is donating to one of the most popular podcasts around with lovely sound quality and crammed with ads? It's like someone giving $30 to the Bravo Network.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Tato posted:

Very excited, HDTGM is doing the film I've wanted them to do the most ever since I started listening to the podcast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114658/

Also, I hope they never do live shows in New York again. The crowds seem to be really insufferable there lately and shout out things frequently and then episode devolves into Jason just having nothing but contempt for everyone in the crowd. The LA shows always make for a good time.

If you want a podcast with far-superior sound quality, check out our coverage of Theo Rex over here: http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2015/04/podcast-theodore-rex-1995.html

With 1000% less "table-bussing" sounds!

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
So unprofessional! I demand a refund!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Heteroy posted:

So unprofessional! I demand a refund!

I would love to be able to "refund" a podcast. The worst thing you can do now is, what, give it a bad iTunes review? It'd be cool if you could click a button and take away a download or something so they don't get your advertising bucks if they do something stupid like record an episode with an iPhone, eat during the show or yawn into the mic.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It takes a few presses of a button to skip the crap ads, I don't mind them at all. But the audio issue stuff is loving weak, that should never happen again. The last two episodes might be good but I'll never enjoy them or re-listen with audio quality that bad.

On the flipside, the tie-in articles on Slashfilm have been pretty good. I felt bad for everyone they interviewed on Theodore Rex.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't give a poo poo about ads because lol seriously, I do strongly dislike that the audio is absolute hot trash, and they should avoid that.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, as soon as I started listening and he said it was going to be crap audio again I stopped. Release these as extra episodes, don't put them up as the regular episodes, just disappointing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SlashFilm and HDTGM just released An Oral History of Theodore Rex.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 23, 2015

radlum
May 13, 2013

Tato posted:

It takes a few presses of a button to skip the crap ads, I don't mind them at all. But the audio issue stuff is loving weak, that should never happen again. The last two episodes might be good but I'll never enjoy them or re-listen with audio quality that bad.

On the flipside, the tie-in articles on Slashfilm have been pretty good. I felt bad for everyone they interviewed on Theodore Rex.

I liked the articles. Also, I'm kind of glad they are actually answering the question of How Did This Get Made?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

HDTGM is finally doing Furious 7. I can't wait to hear their reactions to the insane things that happen in this amazing movie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Unfortunately, June and Jason won't be there, and the episode will be recorded on a tape recorder with mini-cassette tapes, which will then be played back into an iphone.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

drat WHM it's been a month and a half without new episodes, c'mon son!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Grapplejack posted:

drat WHM it's been a month and a half without new episodes, c'mon son!

They also did this last year. Next week is the start of viewer request month.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Isn't Watto a racist Jewish caricature, not a racist Italian caricature?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

Brocktoon posted:

Yeah, I remember being confused that they were saying that when this episode was new. I guess they forgot the uproar about him way back when. Though accent is more stereotypically Italian I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They actually talk about that very subject at the end of the episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brocktoon posted:

Same general vicinity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's intersectional enough to be both. He's a big nosed scammer who loves exploiting outsiders, but he also talks like a stereotypical Italian and runs a seedy business that involves swindling people. I haven't gotten around to listening yet but I think they just outright say 'yea everyone says he's Jewish and that's cool but we wanted to make different jokes than everyone else so we focused on this other aspect'.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Does that one guy on WHM who sounds like a blue collar sitcom dad have a problem with alcohol or something? I finally started listening and poring over the back catalog and it feels like every other time he mentions having seen a film related to the one they're doing that week he's like "I don't know though, I was pretty wasted." :lol:
They're pretty entertaining, even if they are often clueless about stuff and apparently think Adam Sandler's Big Daddy is a better film than Bully. :v: I know Larry Clark is creepy, but c'mon.

And I'd never heard the audio only of the Trade Federation aliens, jesus christ that's bad, it boggles my mind that racist hack got away with straight up chingchong Fu Manchu voices. I guess it was a different time, it adds insult to injury though that he had the gall to go with the typical racist rear end in a top hat response: "Maybe you're the racist for seeing anything racist here. Bringing up race is racist!"

Watto for me was always bits of "bartering Arab/Jew" racist caricatures, but I heard the Italian in there sometimes too I guess.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 7, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Does that one guy on WHM who sounds like a blue collar sitcom dad have a problem with alcohol or something?

Weed and beer is cool and good with bad movies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

weekly font posted:

Weed and beer is cool and good with bad movies.
Oh yeah, I've had my share of high/drunk movie watching experiences, it just seemed like 70% of the time he references having seen a movie in the past he was super wasted. I guess maybe it's just him being old and having a longer time to rack up so many drunk movies.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I'm glad that Paul brought up in the episode that one of the characters in Fast 7 looks strangely like June, because that gave me a very confused 10 seconds in the cinema when I saw it:

(Image courtesy of Earwolf forums)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm a big fan of Shakespeare's autobiographical play, Man About Stratford.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Just-Sleazy-Enough-To-Notice Raiden That's Dating Your Mom" may be my favorite joke character they've ever done.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Just-Sleazy-Enough-To-Notice Raiden That's Dating Your Mom" may be my favorite joke character they've ever done.

Just going out for cigarettes hahahahaha

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
ABK

ALWAYS

BE

KOMBATING

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Kevin, did you block me on Facebook?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Trujillo posted:

Kevin, did you block me on Facebook?

WHO IS KEVIN?!? MY NAME IS DEVIN I KANT BELIEVE YOU FORGOT AGAIN YOURE NOT MY REAL DAD YOU KANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO! YOU SUCK!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
WHM does a listener request period every year right? I'm just guessing since I'm catching up to the back catalogue. Something like towards the end of the year? Cuz I definitely want to try to submit something.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

TheFallenEvincar posted:

WHM does a listener request period every year right? I'm just guessing since I'm catching up to the back catalogue. Something like towards the end of the year? Cuz I definitely want to try to submit something.

I think it's twice a year, start of the year and end of summer. Also October is the Halloween Spooktacular.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They really need to see A Day Without a Mexican or The Brown Bunny tho I figure the latter might be a bit too adult/indie for their uses? I mean they do curse and poo poo i just want an episode of them mocking Vincent Gallo's weird rear end :lol: they need to go through that torment

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This may be the first time the question of whether they'd do an episode about a movie in which a guy gets blown by a famous actress on camera has come up(no pun intended).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just tried to think of the two worst movie experiences I've ever had and they're pretty much "A Day Without a Mexican in theaters" and "The Brown Bunny in theaters surrounded by a bunch of confused and terrified old white rich people who thought they were seeing an intellectual indie/foreign film but bitch this ain't Chocolat". It's hard to think of truly truly bad movies I've seen.
It was also the most gruelingly boring experience ever though, so it probably wouldn't be much joke fodder. Vincent Gallo is fun to mock, but yeah it doesn't really seem up their...avenue.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
They may also think that there's not much else that people can mock it for after Vincent Gallo had that feud with Roger Ebert and later admitted he acted an rear end.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Beeez posted:

They may also think that there's not much else that people can mock it for after Vincent Gallo had that feud with Roger Ebert and later admitted he acted an rear end.

The funniest thing is that Ebert decided that the director's cut was pretty decent once he got around to seeing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"it'd be great if whales tried to gently caress this dick"- We Hate Movies "comedy" podcast, The Core AKA Go gently caress Yourself Planet Earth