Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Klaus88 posted:

I'm pretty sure they all run on the same code in the original half life, with the beret dudes being the leaders. The cigar comping mothers are the ones with Grenades for their 203s which is actually important information to convey to the player since those things take off 50 health per shot.

In Black Mesa it is not readily apparent which marine fills which role, which is the point I was trying to make. Also the paid version doesn't really change all that much.
I don't think they ever used the grenade launcher outside of scripted sequences, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The only thing I really remember about the marines in either is that the black guy gets the minigun and they're stupid hard in Black Mesa.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lork posted:

I don't think they ever used the grenade launcher outside of scripted sequences, though?

Grunts definitely used their 40mm launchers on the fly in the original HL, if that's what we're talking about.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

The only thing I really remember about the marines in either is that the black guy gets the minigun and they're stupid hard in Black Mesa.

this sounds more like svencoop tbh

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Roobanguy posted:

YOU DEAD, YOU HEAR ME, DEAD

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Sounds like you already reached the pinnacle though :dong:

Nah, this (mildly :nws:) is. "Penile Devastation". What a name.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

So he was, though he was in the beta at a few points.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

I think a mixture of Doom's and Quake's would probably be ideal.
Also depends on the setting and tone you're going for. But even just gameplay wise, I'd put the Duke 3D enemies right up there. The teleporting liztrooper is pretty cool, also the jetpack liztroopers, in general they're more fun to fight than zombiemen for cannon fodder enemies. I'll take an Octabrain over a Cacodemon, etc.

The lost souls should take less hits to kill, but that's more of a gameplay thing. Not really a fan of the lost souls in general though, that's a point off. Still, agreed those games have some of the best sets of enemies ever.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Also depends on the setting and tone you're going for. But even just gameplay wise, I'd put the Duke 3D enemies right up there. The teleporting liztrooper is pretty cool, also the jetpack liztroopers, in general they're more fun to fight than zombiemen for cannon fodder enemies. I'll take an Octabrain over a Cacodemon, etc.

The lost souls should take less hits to kill, but that's more of a gameplay thing. Not really a fan of the lost souls in general though, that's a point off. Still, agreed those games have some of the best sets of enemies ever.

I like how Ocatabrains have a major weakness to rockets. It makes them much more managable than Cacodemons and rewards smart players.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kaiser updated his blog to confirm the announced Turok re-releases will use TurokEX.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kaiser updated his blog to confirm the announced Turok re-releases will use TurokEX.

I don't follow any of the EX development, what does this me?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh thank Christ. Playing the original PC ports is not something anyone should have to do.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It means they're essentially using a source port to make the games playable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

It means he's reverse-engineering all the data formats etc. of the original games and reprogramming them for modern systems.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Check out Doom64 EX and you'll have some idea. The N64 game data stripped of its cartridge-shaped tomb, and injected into a whole new modern engine.

In short: drat good ports. I recently found a download for Powerslave EX (sadly killed by licensing issues), and it's excellent too. Even comes with a Hard Mode mod to make it fit mouse/keyboard controls better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

It means he'll be recreating the games in his own engine rather than updating or repackaging the existing game. This is good because it'll let him fix/improve the games in ways that would otherwise be impossible or extremely difficult, but the potential downside is that he's basically recreating the games through imitation so there are bound to be inaccuracies that annoy some people.

Powerslave was handled in pretty much the same way and people were very pleased with how that turned out - everyone except the people who own the rights to the game, anyway.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Also mean that Turok 3 and Rage Wars might also finally get PC releases. I really wanted to play those games to finish the series, but my god I cannot wrap my head around that N64 controller.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If we ever manage to see Goldeneye 64 on PC I'll be very happy but TurokEX is a drat great start.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Who do we have to sacrifice and to which dark gods in order to get a Perfect Dark EX, I wonder?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Who do we have to sacrifice and to which dark gods in order to get a Perfect Dark EX, I wonder?
Alexander Hamilton to Microsoft and 4J Studios.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At least it's available on Xbox Live for the 360 and retro-compatible with the Xbox One also http://www.xbox.com/es-ES/games/rare-replay for the Xbone comes with 30 games (sadly not Goldeneye 64).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

We pretty much already did, at least on the 360. The XBLA port is of that quality at the very least.

Edit: Three replies in under a minute, dang!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PO'ed EX, who's with me?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was talking about getting a PC version, obviously, I know it's on consoles. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reminder that the only reason Goldeneye didn't get a 360 or other rerelease is that Nintendo refused to accept the free money they'd have gotten.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Didn't someone say that that Rare Retro collection was possibly coming to PC later?

Was it all just a dream?!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Reminder that the only reason Goldeneye didn't get a 360 or other rerelease is that Nintendo refused to accept the free money they'd have gotten.

Wasn't it some sort of basically emotional thing where Nintendo of Japan were furious that Nintendo of America decided to cut a deal on their own without consulting them first and canceled the deal just to punish the American branch for daring to overstep their authority?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Noone knows. There are rumours about what did or didn't happen that have been massively conflated over time, if they were ever true to begin with.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Didn't someone say that that Rare Retro collection was possibly coming to PC later?

There was a promo image allegedly released that showed the Xbone box with the header reading "only on Xbox One and PC" with the "and PC" bit having been blacked out, the odds of which being official are zero.

So no, no news about it coming to PC. I was bitching about that some pages ago; MS are claiming to give a poo poo about PC gaming as usual, and doing nothing as usual.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What we know for sure is that the deal arranged between Microsoft, whoever currently owned the James Bond video game license, and the James Bond people was that they'd agree to pay Nintendo royalties on sales of the game without requiring Nintendo to pay any money in. Microsoft was to also pay royalties or a one time payment to the current owner of the James Bond license (I think it was EA) and to the James Bond people in order to get the right to republish a Bond game.

If they do it, they either got to build a PC 360 emulator to handle the games that run on the Xbox One in 360 backwards compatibility mode, or they got to straight up port the 360 games to the PC. Either way, it'd probably take a year minimum to get it done, that's a lot of work.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That's assuming an emulator doesn't already exist. It seems really unlikely they would bother for a single title though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There was a promo image allegedly released that showed the Xbone box with the header reading "only on Xbox One and PC" with the "and PC" bit having been blacked out, the odds of which being official are zero.

It wasn't a promo image, it was the literal official image on both Amazon and the Microsoft store.

It's still there even.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

What's the best port for playing Quake these days? I never really played much of Quake, my PC was too loving poo poo to play the early proper 3d games back in the day.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, I'm glad to know PowerslaveEX didn't result in bad blood between Kaiser and Night Dive Studios, anyway.

Megadyptes posted:

What's the best port for playing Quake these days? I never really played much of Quake, my PC was too loving poo poo to play the early proper 3d games back in the day.
Personally, at this point, Quakespasm.

Although Woolie Wool swears by Super8. Might be worth a look if you'd prefer a software renderer to an OpenGL one.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SparkTR posted:

Also mean that Turok 3 and Rage Wars might also finally get PC releases. I really wanted to play those games to finish the series, but my god I cannot wrap my head around that N64 controller.

Turok 3 had some cool moments but wasn't all that great. It did have some pretty impressive cutscenes for being on the N64 at the time, though.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Video game companies are stupid as poo poo

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, I'm glad to know PowerslaveEX didn't result in bad blood between Kaiser and Night Dive Studios, anyway.
Personally, at this point, Quakespasm.

It should be noted that most high-end Quake mapping is done exclusively with Quakespasm in mind and tested with it. Super8 will get you that authentic 90s feel, but will struggle with cutting edge community stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've said it before, but unless you've got a hard-on for the skins and some levels, Perfect Dark XBLA is all the Goldeneye you'd ever need.

There's something about the lack of jumping ability that adds just a bit more strategy to the whole thing, anyone else think so?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Elliotw2 posted:

It wasn't a promo image, it was the literal official image on both Amazon and the Microsoft store.

It's still there even.

I have no idea what you're talking about? It just says Xbox One, and is centered correctly...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Keiya posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about? It just says Xbox One, and is centered correctly...
Look closer. Like, basically look through the header.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DoombatINC posted:

Look closer. Like, basically look through the header.

It's possible their screen isn't showing it at all because of contrast or black level shenanigans. The first time the topic came up I was looking at it on my phone and it just wasn't there. When I saw it on my laptop I saw it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PO'ed EX, who's with me?

Personally I'm ready for a HD remake of this. Looking forward to the high def walking butts :tutbutt: