Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

If I watched Slowbeef's LP of Lisa, (I bought it because it was that good,) should I still play through it? Does it benefit from multiple play throughs?

Play through it because Slowbeef did the most bumbling job possible of getting through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Anatharon posted:

-

-Same yet again for what the deal with the state of the world is, and he indicated that there was an area in LtJ that 'made it more obvious'. My personal assumption is it was supposed to be a nuke but that doesn't explain why all the women are gone or why the day/night cycle is messed up...

http://i.imgur.com/zkoOqDS.jpg
Olathe is a closed dome? messed up diagonal cloud

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
quote is not edit

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'm going to give this game another shot because I seem to get distracted by a bunch of other things. Now that I have a free day to myself, I may as well try to beat it. I understand that poo poo happening is just that, so I'm going to try going in as blind as possible. I enjoy what little I've played of the combat system, so I hope it stays decent enough.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

yum posted:

drat.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I feel like if joy could bring long dead people back to life, even as twisted zombies, that would been mentioned somewhere in the game.

Well that is what it essentially does. Joy only mutates on the death of the person using it. If you so some plot gymnastics and assume Buzzo knew Yado when he was still a child, and that Sweetheart was part of the reason that Buzzo chose to work with him, and even that Buzzo and Yado supplied Lisa (and this could make a good case that Yado wanted to test Joy on the side).

I mean, The Doctor in Olathe Neighbourhood suggests that Joy was mutating before the white flash, so there's a possibility Lisa had some and it spurred on her crazy-as-poo poo behaviour.

The more you entertain the theory, the more it does sort of work. :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

fuuuuuck

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Amgard posted:

Well that is what it essentially does. Joy only mutates on the death of the person using it.

No it doesn't, a ton of minor characters in the Painful mutated out of the blue/

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

No it doesn't, a ton of minor characters in the Painful mutated out of the blue/

Maybe you can transform before death, but the game is pretty explicit that if you've had any joy and you die: you mutate.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

yum posted:

Yeah, I saw people having that theory awhile ago and it makes some sense, with Nern's comment about how the days and nights are messed up.

Oxxidation posted:

I don't recall any that conflict with that theory, though.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like to pretend Joy mutates you when you succeed or fail at whatever singular thing you've been focusing on under its influence, like it gives you the power to keep trucking and then takes hold as soon as you start to slip. That's my Lisa fanfiction theory.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

pon alien posted:

I like to pretend Joy mutates you when you succeed or fail at whatever singular thing you've been focusing on under its influence, like it gives you the power to keep trucking and then takes hold as soon as you start to slip. That's my Lisa fanfiction theory.

Fuckit now it's final headcannon.

Listening to W2D changed my life for the better.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Amgard posted:

Maybe you can transform before death, but the game is pretty explicit that if you've had any joy and you die: you mutate.

On the other hand, there are plenty of Joy addicts you can get in the gang, and they don't transform if you get 'em killed. Yeah, sure, you could chalk that up to it being too difficult or annoying to implement, but I mean, if any game is going to have your teammates become a boss battle after death, LISA would definitely be the one.

...God, that would be such a great moment. Beady chomps Roger/Dick/what's-his-name-fishman's head off, and then your problems double.

Yeah though, anyways I just don't remember any bits where they outright say that Joy users mutate on death.

pon alien posted:

This is what I always figured. It makes a lot more sense thematically rather than it being some kinda zombie sort of thing.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Big Lincoln, All-American Badass

Such a rad theme god, the music alone made me feel pretty good about Joyful, regardless of gripes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pon alien posted:

Kind of reminds me of Dark Souls and hollowing.

Anyway playing this for the first time and so far my favorite character is the goon samurai with the cats. Thanks all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had to reset the Big Lincoln fight like 5 times because I was still stubbornly trying to get through the game without using joy because I'm dumb and had one piece of jerky left.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Buddy doesn't kill Big Lincoln, he's just takin' a break. :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anatharon posted:

He's the baby's real dad

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Big Lincoln and the Gallows dude both loving rule

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What's the name of the music that plays while Rando drives the truck? I think it's from the main game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blackheart posted:

What's the name of the music that plays while Rando drives the truck? I think it's from the main game.

That would be Shardy's Shanty if I'm remembering right.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah that's it, thanks. It's pretty neat.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I have no idea what the guy who said the warlords have less personality than LtP's bosses is talking about, they pretty much all rule.

Even FLartdy Hernandez is kinda great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

All the other members of the List run private communities or perform some general service for Olathe. Big Lincoln sits in the dark at the top of a mountain and waits for people to arrive, so that he may destroy them.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah didn't Sindy Gallows kill joy mutants, making the crazy archer cultists hunt him down?

I chuckled when Lardy goes "guys I'm not loving around!" and pulls the big guns... plus that hair, man

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anatharon posted:

I have no idea what the guy who said the warlords have less personality than LtP's bosses is talking about, they pretty much all rule.

Even FLartdy Hernandez is kinda great.

Well I'd say you get less of a feel for how they rule over their areas because you spend relatively little time in them. I still think the Warlord's themselves are fine though. The only one I didn't like was the Dice guy, his area was pretty poo poo especially for one of the last ones. I guess its thematically appropriate that a gang of gamblers would take a bunch of cheap shots but it sure wasn't fun too play through!

Blackheart posted:

Yeah didn't Sindy Gallows kill joy mutants, making the crazy archer cultists hunt him down?

Yeah Gallows' entire gang got wiped out fighting the mutants and then the cultists.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 29, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anatharon posted:

-Same deal for the identity of the father of Buddy's child. He also said Buddy was a virgin by the end of the first game, so I have no idea.

Rot in Hell, Dale Spooner...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what happens if you choose to have buddy let go of the barbed wire holding rando up? i was wondering if maybe that's where buddy's child was conceived, though the scene in question seemed to sort of suggest that things didn't go that far.

i don't think i really like that being where buddy's kid came from.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

what happens if you choose to have buddy let go of the barbed wire holding rando up? i was wondering if maybe that's where buddy's child was conceived, though the scene in question seemed to sort of suggest that things didn't go that far.

i don't think i really like that being where buddy's kid came from.

Let go: Buddy turns around and kills Bolo in a fury.

Don't let go:Sweetheart kills Bolo before he can do anything. Buddy drops Rando in a fury.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I held on because I thought things would turn out better that way :negative:

I really don't think there's any indication whatsoever as to who Lisa's kid is. Its gotta be Dingaling loving with people.

EDIT: I'm just gonna pretend its Jack cause he's the only one even remotely close to Buddy in age. Also he's cute.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 29, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Internet Kraken posted:

I held on because I thought things would turn out better that way :negative:

I really don't think there's any indication whatsoever as to who Lisa's kid is. Its gotta be Dingaling loving with people.

"It's pretty obvious to me" is his way of saying "I have no loving idea."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well she was raped pretty early on by some guy named Dale after she and Rando get ambushed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wait what

poo poo did i forget something

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

wait what

poo poo did i forget something

I forgot about that as well. When Rando's buds wake him up after kidnapping him in Buddy, they mentioned they killed Dale because he did...something...to Buddy. The context should make that something clear. So that's one question answered at least.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Except they say "He didn't do much of course, but" or something.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah that didn't sound at all like a rape to me

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Except they say "He didn't do much of course, but" or something.

I got the impression they were trying to make light of it to keep Rando from getting too upset.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

seems like a strange thing for buddy to never mention, considering how upset she is constantly about the "being kidnapped and confined" part

"being raped" would probably have beared being mentioned when she was expressing her dislike for the whole situation when she beats rando to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I don't think Dale was able to go that far because then Buddy definitely would of brought it up. I got the impression that he tried to do something but was stopped by Rando's pals before it got anywhere.

• Locked thread